Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Frank Lampard is bookies favourite

7 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

.what the Jody Morris who abused and beat up a taxi driver.! ......top bloke!

Give him a second chance .WE all have made mistakes in our younger days. Bad boy Jody. Get yer act together.  The past haunts you. Your under the spotlight because of big Frank. Promise me you will behave if you come to Norwich. 

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

They're not rating Knutsen as much on his European exploits, but more on what he's done with Bodo/Glimt in Norwegian football.

He's basically done an equivalent of a Ranieri at Leicester when faced with much wealthier teams with far more established pedigrees such as Rosenborg and Molde, and to a lesser extent Valerenga, Brann and Viking. On top of that, he has kept them up there this season and they look like they're about to win the league again. And he's done it whilst selling his best players like Hauge and Zinckernagel this time around.

You're talking about a country where northern Norwegian sides weren't even allowed to get promoted to the Norwegian top flight until 1972. Even now, only three teams from northern Norway have ever played in the top flight. Bodo, Tromso, and Mjolner-Narvik.

If he's got such a team, with little money, in a very remote part of the country, to win back-to-back national titles against much wealthier teams from far more metropolitian areas then no matter what his European record is, he's worked wonders in his league.

I get that Bodo's rise is spectacular, a bit like Hamilton Academilal's under Neil, but then even top Norwegian sides are not that big, Molde and Rosenborg are both valued at about 15m euros, while the value of the whole Eliteserien is 135m, divided among 16 teams that worth between 4,5 to 15 m euros. This is a rather narrow range that makes catching up a lot easier. Furthermore, Bodo is valued now about the same as Molde (who did extremely well last season in the Europa League making it to the last 16  under Erling  Moe) which makes them directly comparable to each other but not to Leicester. The EPL is a cutthroat league, and coming in from the cold    😉 under instant pressure to deliver would be a tall order/too much of a gamble. Where we are now we need someone with experience in the league. It may be Lampard or Nuno Espirito Sanchez, or even Wagner or Houghton, but definitely one with experience.    

15 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

I get that Bodo's rise is spectacular, a bit like Hamilton Academilal's under Neil, but then even top Norwegian sides are not that big, Molde and Rosenborg are both valued at about 15m euros, while the value of the whole Eliteserien is 135m, divided among 16 teams that worth between 4,5 to 15 m euros. This is a rather narrow range that makes catching up a lot easier. Furthermore, Bodo is valued now about the same as Molde (who did extremely well last season in the Europa League making it to the last 16  under Erling  Moe) which makes them directly comparable to each other but not to Leicester. The EPL is a cutthroat league, and coming in from the cold    😉 under instant pressure to deliver would be a tall order/too much of a gamble. Where we are now we need someone with experience in the league. It may be Lampard or Nuno Espirito Sanchez, or even Wagner or Houghton, but definitely one with experience.    

The comparison with Hamilton doesn't hold water, and those valuations are pretty subjective. Hamilton got to the Scottish Premier League under Neil and did beat Celtic once, but ultimately they still finished mid-table. They did bloody well to get that high considering their resources, but it doesn't compare to Bodo who went out and won the Norwegian league for the first time ever, and even more amazingly, look like they're going to repeat it despite being financially not that well-off compared to traditional powerhouses and after selling some of their best men.

The comparison with Leicester was simply due to the nature of the surprise that such a team would win their national league. In fact, I'll point out IFK Mariehamn, who won the Finnish championship in 2016 as a similar story. That's a team from a remote part of Finland who overturned the likes of HJK Helsinki to do that.

3 hours ago, Budapest Canary said:

I'd have reservations about Knutsen. I checked Bodo's cup run: Legia Warsaw (valued at 27m euros) did the double over them (1-5) in the first Preliminary Round to the Champions League, and relegated them directly to the  Conference League, where they managed to knock out an Icelandic side (2.7m)  easily, then a Kosovan and a Lithuanian sides (both valued at about 5m E) with some difficulty. (I happened to see both sides in Budapest as both played Ferencváros in the Champs League earlier. They were both extremely poor, Ferencváros sleepwalked over them. - 6-1, 5-1 on agg.) In other words, there's nothing miraculous in knocking these teams out. Then in the Conference League group  Zorya Lugansk, CSKA Sofia and Bodo are valued about the same (15-17 m) a home 3-1 win and an away draw is again not something to write home about, so the only miracle results here are the win and draw against Rome, which I would take with a pinch of salt. Knutsen might be a great coach, but I think he's overhyped on basis of the two matches against Rome, which may have got more to do with Mourinho's attitude towards the ConfLeage than Knutsen's nous.         

I too am worried that this would be too much of a step up, on the basis of limited success (on the bigger stage). Either thing on its own maybe OK, but both together concerns me. Still, it has kind of worked before, but I would be much happier with a more experienced candidate.

If it gets as far as interviews and I'm sure it will, and Webber asks the direct question "how will you save us from relegation?", I wonder who will give the better answer?

I have no idea tbh, but it's that response that is critical in my view. Too close to call as Lampard is a very clever and articulate guy vs someone with some experience but at a low level.

59 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

Strange how so few Yellows seemingly fail to grasp this simple logic. Thewy are all falling for this ...........'development of club ethos / staregt / building the tHEY ARE ALL tYEV

Just now, yellowrider120 said:

Strange how so few Yellows seemingly fail to grasp this simple logic. Thewy are all falling for this ...........'development of club ethos / staregt / building the tHEY ARE ALL tYEV

Sorry about that!

Strange how so few Yellows seemingly fail to grasp this simple logic. They are all falling for this ...........'development of club ethos / strategy / building the Academy' etc. FFS we've ticked all those boxes since 2017. It's ALL about the First Team now, nothing more, nothing less!

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

I like that idea!

Me too!!!    Sounds like an ideal appointment.

47 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Tom Malley at the Mirror thinks Lampard or Russ. He states that the Suffolk club need to stay in the EPL. 

That's nearly as wise as Rio's insight, came up on my phone this morning:  https://www.norfolklive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/norwich-next-manager-farke-ferdinand-6172330

Rio: “They’ve already lined up who is coming in as a replacement and they’ve probably already agreed it with Daniel Farke before the game had even kicked off.”

Norwich City fan and sports presenter Jake Humphrey asked Ferdinand whether Farke would have already known he was no longer going to be in charge of the Canaries.

“One hundred per cent,” replied Ferdinand. 

53 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Tom Malley at the Mirror thinks Lampard or Russ. He states that the Suffolk club need to stay in the EPL. 

Wise words.

His sat nav is probably mounted upside down......

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FCC said:

Cannot believe Lampard is even being considered.  

Do you mind me asking why?   The way I see it he has Championship and Premiership experience, and a repuation for developing players.  I am nervous about his ego and commitment, yet he seems like a decent option.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Do you mind me asking why?   The way I see it he has Championship and Premiership experience, and a repuation for developing players.  I am nervous about his ego and commitment, yet he seems like a decent option.

Experience does not qualify someone to be good, especially if they've failed in said experience. 

8 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Domenico Tedesco for me. Done well at Shalke 04 and got Spartak Moscow to top before leaving in June. Currently free.

I have read quite a bit about this guy over the last two days, certainly fits the mould.  Although relatively young very well experienced!

Odd that he's saying three names, yet Bailey saying two names. 

Think that supports the theory of a wide ball being thrown by Webber which will catch us all by surprise perhaps?

5 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Odd that he's saying three names, yet Bailey saying two names. 

Think that supports the theory of a wide ball being thrown by Webber which will catch us all by surprise perhaps?

Dean Smith seems to be the third name being mentioned now he’s gone from Villa. Who knows though.. hopefully all a lot clearer soon 

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Not at all Newtopia.

For me, he hasn’t done enough.  He has picked young players but not developed them.  Hasn’t worked anywhere on a budget, has no loyalty, and isn’t used to fighting against the odds. 

Edited by FCC
Typo
  • Like 2