Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Frank Lampard is bookies favourite

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

And it looks like this appointment would please all the wrong people, or should I say one particular plastic that has probably never been to a Norwich game in their life (except Wembley ‘15 of course) 👍 

Literally went to Brentford, cheered on our team and clapped off Farke at the end. Did you?

I felt blessed to have been there for Farke's final game, great man.

I also think he made his own job untenable and it was time for him to go, but the timing of his sacking was atrocious - it doesn't sound like Webber is to blame for that though, the rest of the board dillied and dallied and delayed their decision by two days. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not everyone has your limited knowledge of European football, obviously.  I heard of him when linked with Celtic in late 2020 - this is from a piece I read at the time looking at their options…

A Successful Scandinavian – Kjetil Knutsen

52 year old Kjetil Knutsen didn’t have a playing career, but he is fast making up for lost time by proving himself as the next exciting coach to come out of Norway.

Knutsen’s team FK Bodø/Glimt have absolutely romped the Norwegian Eliteserien this season, winning the league with 5 games to spare, and are currently 18 points clear of Molde in second place with four games remaining. As of writing, they have scored 90 goals in 26 games, and have conceded 29. What takes this achievement to another level is the fact that this is the first time in the history of Bodø/Glimt that they have won the title, and they were only promoted to the top division in Norway in 2017. In that time, Knutsen has developed a fantastic young squad of players, with standout young talent Jens Petter Hauge leaving for AC Milan only a few months ago.

Immediate comparisons, of course, are going to be raised with ex-Celtic manager Ronny Deila. The achievements of Ronny and the achievements of Knutsen are very similar. This may cause issues with a certain section of the support, as Ronny – while not failing at Celtic – did have to concede that he was not the man to take Celtic to the next level. If Knutsen was to be appointed at Celtic, he would have to fight off the endless comparisons to Ronny Deila he would face from the media and from the Celtic support. For some narrow minded people, this would have him written off before he has even stepped into Celtic Park. There is also the matter of Knutsen being a relatively unknown name among common football fans, and this could raise issues with the players. He would have to stamp his authority on the players and win the dressing room immediately. Similar to Eddie Howe the question must be asked does he understand how important this season is to Celtic? And can he get the team playing well and playing for him straight away?

For a further insight into Kjetil Knutsen, I spoke to Norwegian football expert @FRfotbollBen.

How would you describe Knutsen’s time at Bodø/Glimt?

“Kjetil came to Glimt originally as an assistant manager working alongside Aasmund Bjorkan, who is now the Sporting Director. Bjorkan stepped aside in 2018 for Knutsen to take over as head coach, which seemed to be the club’s plan from Kjetil’s arrival.

“It did take him a little while to implement his ideas, the 2018 season was nothing special – but in 2019 Glimt deserved to win the title but ended up drawing too many games. 2020 has of course been a wonderful season for Knutsen and Glimt but it hasn’t come without a lot of hard work over the last 3 years.”

How would you describe Knutsen’s style of play and footballing philosophy?

“Knutsen’s style of play is very attacking, you only have to look at Glimt’s goalscoring feats this season and last season to see that. He always uses a 4-3-3 formation with one deep lying midfielder and two ‘box to box’ midfielders. His front 3 is comprised of two inside forward type wingers and a striker acting as an advanced forward or poacher.

It’s definitely a modern, transferable tactic, so I see no reason why he couldn’t build on this with another club. The fact that Knutsen drills his players so well in each of their roles generally means that even if a regular XI player is not able to play, there is always someone ready to step in and provide the same level of performance.”

Do you think possible comparisons to former Celtic manager Ronny Deila could prove a hinderance to Knutsen if he got the job?

“I think comparisons between Ronny and Kjetil will inevitably be made by journalists, simply because they are both Norwegian, but in reality there is a big difference between the two.

Kjetil is definitely an attacking manager in the same vein that Ronny was, but spends a lot more time with the players trying to hone their skills and develop them to be the best they can be. Knutsen expects a lot from his players as you can see from Glimt’s relentless style of play this season.

Should he end up in the Celtic job, it won’t take too long to get people onside with regards to his style of play. It would certainly be a big step up with regards to expectations, compared to the Glimt role, but Knutsen is 100% someone who could get the fans onside quickly.”

How suited do you think Knutsen would be to the job at Celtic? Could he come in and turn Celtic’s season around quickly?

“I think he is incredibly suited to the job, honestly. Especially with regards to his style of play and the kind of manager this Celtic side look like they need. Whether this move would be realistic, though, is another matter entirely. It would certainly take him time to implement his style of play and get the playing staff onside to his methods and ethos when it comes to how he thinks football should be played. But, he’s also a very good man manager and this will definitely help him in the short term in getting control of the dressing room.”

image-1.png Photo courtesy of NTB Scanpix

My take – I think Knutsen could be the most exciting name on this list in terms of just how good his current team are performing. The success he has had with Bodø/Glimt is unprecedented, and the manner in which his team play football simply makes your mouth water. I’d be very excited to see Knutsen at Celtic Park, however I do have concerns about just how big the step is from a relatively small Norwegian club to a club the size of Celtic, and the pressure he will be under especially given the current state the club are in.

Spot on, Branston - it takes all of about 3 minutes research to see what this guy is all about. Frank Lampard, Jesus Christ 😂. Done NOTHING. 

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s an extremely one-eyed and selective view of things.  Many regarded that he did pretty well at Derby, and at Chelsea under their transfer embargo, rather than having an ‘appalling’ record.  You don’t have to make stuff up to make your point, you know.  He’d not be my choice either, incidentally, but at least I can see that he’d not necessarily be a bad choice.

Yeah, Chelsea fans backing Frank, presumably. Even Derby fans think he failed - his job was to get them promoted, and he didn't manage it.

Incidentally, the guy we just sacked got us promoted that year with a squad assembled for peanuts. I know which of the two I'd rather have in charge next season.

Worth pointing out that Tuchel came in and won the Champions League without making any purchases, so makes your claim of Frank suffering due to Chelsea's transfer embargo a bit of a moot point. Now who's making stuff up?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Literally went to Brentford, cheered on our team and clapped off Farke at the end. Did you?

I also think he made his own job untenable and it was time for him to go, but the timing of his sacking was atrocious - it doesn't sound like Webber is to blame for that though, the rest of the board dillied and dallied and delayed their decision by two days. 

I hope Delia and Micky stayed around to give Farke a hug after he received the news. 

3 minutes ago, ? said:

Incidentally, the guy we just sacked got us promoted that year with a squad assembled for peanuts. 

You are judging Lampard on one solitary season in the Derby job though, where he almost got promoted with another managers squad (which had already failed) and a few kids on loan.

And comparing it with Farke's second season in the job, in his first season he finished 14th and was given time to assemble that squad, to make it his squad. 

He signed 12 players, including loans. That's his squad, not someone else's. Spending beyond their means, and with help from Chelsea. Yet he couldn't compete with a City side put together for a few million quid.

I'm also basing it on his inability to get a proven Champions League winning team to a higher position than 8th in the PL.

I mean, each to their own. But if that impresses you, you must be awfully easy to please.

Edited by ?

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You are judging Lampard on one solitary season in the Derby job though, where he almost got promoted with another managers squad (which had already failed) and a few kids on loan.

And comparing it with Farke's second season in the job, in his first season he finished 14th and was given time to assemble that squad, to make it his squad. 

Cmon big frank. Get yer boy billy g playing again

He's wasted just now

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I was indeed there with @Norfolk Dan, please don’t tell me you clapped and cheered your ‘great man’ Farke after your relentless crusade these past few weeks? Your efforts did nothing but play their part in making Daniel Farke’s job as difficult as possible, honestly the brass neck on you 😂

I just hope for your sake that if this wonder coach Frank Lampard (who’s done nothing) comes in then he’d better hit the ground running with immediate effect 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I was indeed there with @Norfolk Dan, please don’t tell me you clapped and cheered your ‘great man’ Farke after your relentless crusade these past few weeks? Your efforts did nothing but play their part in making Daniel Farke’s job as difficult as possible, honestly the brass neck on you

No, I've always been "Webber out" mate and blamed him for another atrocious transfer window. Sorry to hear that you were one of those with their head stuck so far up their own ar&e that they were never able to distinguish between the two. 

Need the reminder? 

Of course, many of you happy clappers are now in agreement after seeing Webber make Farke his fall guy. 

But at least a new manager will pick Todd Cantwell, so Pukki might get some service. That's one big upside. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I was indeed there with @Norfolk Dan, please don’t tell me you clapped and cheered your ‘great man’ Farke after your relentless crusade these past few weeks? Your efforts did nothing but play their part in making Daniel Farke’s job as difficult as possible, honestly the brass neck on you 😂

I just hope for your sake that if this wonder coach Frank Lampard (who’s done nothing) comes in then he’d better hit the ground running with immediate effect 👍

Mate, don't even bother. The blokes a psychopath. 

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

You've literally spend years of your life sending messages to famous people on twitter calling them c*nts and tw*ts 😂

5 minutes ago, Carra Rud said:

Is anyone camped outside Morrisons? I've had a tip off for tomorrow morning. 

What, a fresh delivery of pies? I’m in….

6 minutes ago, Carra Rud said:

Is anyone camped outside Morrisons? I've had a tip off for tomorrow morning. 

We need people at morisons, outside the gunn club, and the south stand car park looking for cars at dodgey angles 

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

We need people at morisons, outside the gunn club, and the south stand car park looking for cars at dodgey angles 

You mean Stevie Wonder and Andrea Bocelli are having a car-parking competition in Norwich right now?

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

You mean Stevie Wonder and Andrea Bocelli are having a car-parking competition in Norwich right now?

The angle of parking directly corresponds to the urgency of the meeting they’ve been called in to do

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

Villa have possibly acted today as they literally didn't want to miss out on the Lampard+Terry option for themselves.

Hmmmm,  kinda fits doesn’t it …. Hadn’t considered that.

38 minutes ago, ? said:

Worth pointing out that Tuchel came in and won the Champions League without making any purchases, so makes your claim of Frank suffering due to Chelsea's transfer embargo a bit of a moot point. Now who's making stuff up?

I think you’ve rather deliberately missed the point that Lampard was regarded to have done ok finishing 4th in 19-20 under their embargo season; it was the following season when he bought big and didn’t get it to work… but that’s hardly going to be an issue with us.  You appear to have conflated his 18months there into just one season, which is odd.

Edited by Branston Pickle

9 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Brings back memories of Barry Fry's Mecedes being spotted in the Carra Rud car park. 

Oh those were the days! 

Who's gonna look out for private flights from Naaaritch Airport? 

I take it Howe has still not been appointed by Newcastle? Maybe it will fall through? 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

No, I've always been "Webber out" mate and blamed him for another atrocious transfer window. Sorry to hear that you were one of those with their head stuck so far up their own ar&e that they were never able to distinguish between the two. 

Of course, many of you happy clappers are now in agreement after seeing Webber make Farke his fall guy. 

But at least a new manager will pick Todd Cantwell, so Pukki might get some service. That's one big upside. 

Oh, it was always about Webber and not Farke was it? 🤦🏻‍♂️😂.  Bo11ock5, that is utter 2 faced bullshoite but you keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel good, the fact is you made things as difficult as you could for Farke on here, your relentless attention seeking threads were pathetic.

As for you calling X Y and Z on here ‘happy clappers’, you don’t even know what the term means. I don’t see any of these ‘happy clappers’ blindly cheering and accepting of the potential appointment of management no mark Frank Lampard (which ironically is the polar opposite of ‘happy clapping’). Let’s face it, you’re pulling yourself off at the idea because he’s some fancy ex name player and you think it’ll make us look like one of the big boys or some cr@p. He will be shoite, mark my words, in fact better than that bookmark it 👍

9 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

928C9767-68B9-4E91-B9E2-C98E00948EF9.png

I've always wondered what what would happen if many of us were to stick a pound each on a rank outsider..... Just for fun obvs. 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think you’ve rather deliberately missed the point that Lampard was regarded to have done ok finishing 4th in 19-20 under their embargo season; it was the following season when he bought big and didn’t get it to work… but that’s hardly going to be an issue with us.  You appear to have conflated his 18months there into just one season, which is odd.

No, I was looking at his more recent, and thus more pertinent, season in charge.

You can't just ignore the part where he got a Champions League winning side to 8th in the Premier League because you prefer the bit that went before. 

Simply put, he failed at Derby, and he failed at Chelsea. But great, there was a period in the middle there where he achieved the absolute minimum expected of a Chelsea manager. Brilliant stuff, give him the job.

Easily pleased, as I said.

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Just for the record, I haven’t got any problem with those guys on here reading this that were respectful in their desire for a change of management, I get that totally mate, that’s fine. But the key word is *respect*, and there was none of that from this kid with a 12 year olds username - he has got some brass neck on him though, I’ll give him that! The 2 faced cr@p he’s coming out with now, well, you can only laugh ha ha

8 minutes ago, ? said:

No, I was looking at his more recent, and thus more pertinent, season in charge.

You can't just ignore the part where he got a Champions League winning side to 8th in the Premier League because you prefer the bit that went before. 

Simply put, he failed at Derby, and he failed at Chelsea. But great, there was a period in the middle there where he achieved the absolute minimum expected of a Chelsea manager. Brilliant stuff, give him the job.

Easily pleased, as I said.

No, you were being very selective - as though 2029/20 never happened, but you’re more than happy to harp on about 2918/19.  Odd, but it hits your narrative.

Meanwhile, I’ve made it perfectly clear he’d not be my choice, so we agree we’d choose someone else, just without me cherry picking the reasons to back it up.

Edited by Branston Pickle