Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Frank Lampard is bookies favourite

Respected by players

Used to working with younger players

Made Leeds fans and players cry

I thought he did well at Derby and Chelsea were under transfer restrictions when he took over but did well.

But, I'd hope we can find someone with slightly more experience and history of success 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Arrived at Dunston Hall by helicopter this morning, spent at least two hours there and then left by chauffeured car - presumably to Colney or Carrow Road. Source: Golf club member. 

That’s still speculation however it’s dressed up. Remember the Skipp spotted house hunting thread pre season with photos to back it up

14 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I really, really don’t want Frank Lampard as our manager. Goes without saying if it is him then we all get behind him but I’d rather have kept Farke out of the two 

Yep. No idea why anyone would make bizarre claims about Norwich fans not supporting the team if Lampard was announced manager, that goes without saying. Doesnt mean you have to instantly agree with the decision and can still think Farke was the better coach.

3 hours ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Lucien Favre or Nuno would be my top picks.
Hodgson is a good shout for a short term bet to try and achieve premier league status.

Favre, Nuno, and Knutsen at Bodo would be my preferred three.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If it is Lampard this is worryinng..

lamp.png

But only in a small way

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep. No idea why anyone would make bizarre claims about Norwich fans not supporting the team

It isn't the team I'd be worried about you not supporting.

Are you backtracking on your claim that you'd be "disgusted by the club" if we gave Lampard the job then?  The board are only doing what they think is best for the club, not really anything to get disgusted by.

I mean I will give it to you though, can't really call you a 'happy clapper' now that you are really angry with the board, Stuart Webber, and are apparently about to become 'disgusted' with them all. 

I suspect you'll wind it in a bit, I'm surprised you've chosen to back Farke over Webber, it must be a difficult position to be in after blindly backing both when it was more than obvious that to most that there were conflicts and tension and Farke had put himself into an untenable position. 

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Favre, Nuno, and Knutsen at Bodo would be my preferred three.

Agreed 👍

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It is going to be him, so I'd get used to it.

Let's get used to it. Can't understand the negativity. Temmu vb you are spot on about him. I can't understand why people would not want him. He's a guy who the players will respect. He has many good backroom staff he could bring.personally if this happens norwich is taking a big step and surely that's what you want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

2 hours 45 minutes drive to London from Norwich.

2 hours 48 minutes drive to London from Derby..... and he went there. 

Pretty sure they live in Surrey rather than London, in the Cobham area; Chelsea’s training ground is around there so a lot of players live in the area (they used to have a rule about living a certain (time) distance).  It’s pretty close to the A3/M25 junction and about 2h30. Or perhaps 45min(?) by helicopter.

I don’t have a lot against Lampard - he did pretty well when on a tight budget at Chelsea (remember their transfer embargo) though did obviously still have large numbers of internationals/reserves to choose from. He’s well regarded in the game and imo we could do a lot worse, but he’d not be my first choice.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Couldn't get the most expensive squad in the Championship promoted when he was at Derby, despite being FFP-doped and being loaned 3 of Chelsea's best young prospects to help him out. He did manage top 6, I suppose, but failed in the playoffs by not starting a striker.

He then took a Chelsea side that shortly after proved to be Champions League winning quality and managed them to 8th in the table.

That's an appalling record.

Shocking how many people seem happy to become 'Frank Lampards Norwich City' and spend the foreseeable future developing Chelsea's academy, instead of our own.

Edited by ?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ? said:

Couldn't get the most expensive squad in the Championship promoted when he was at Derby, despite being FFP-doped and being loaned 3 of Chelsea's best young prospects to them him out. He did manage top 6, I suppose, but failed in the playoffs by not starting a striker.

He then took a Chelsea side that shortly after proved to be Champions League winning quality and managed them to 8th in the table.

Yep. To replace Farke with him makes zero sense to me. If it all works out then Webber will rightly be lauded a genius. If not then he's going to have a second relegation and a poor decision in sacking and employing a new manager against his name.

So if it is Lampard (who isn't even favourite now with skybet) Webber must really see something in him that lots dont.

4 minutes ago, ? said:

Couldn't get the most expensive squad in the Championship promoted when he was at Derby, despite being FFP-doped and being loaned 3 of Chelsea's best young prospects to them him out. He did manage top 6, I suppose, but failed in the playoffs by not starting a striker.

This In a nutshell 🖕 If it ends up being Lampard then it would be like those Christmas’s you heard about from your grandparents as a kid. All we got were a couple of oranges in a stocking….

Edited by Virtual reality

9 minutes ago, ? said:

Couldn't get the most expensive squad in the Championship promoted when he was at Derby, despite being FFP-doped and being loaned 3 of Chelsea's best young prospects to help him out. He did manage top 6, I suppose, but failed in the playoffs by not starting a striker.

Shocking how many people seem happy to become 'Frank Lampards Norwich City' and spend the foreseeable future developing Chelsea's academy, instead of our own.

That’s an extremely one-eyed and selective view of things.  Many regarded that he did pretty well at Derby, and at Chelsea under their transfer embargo, rather than having an ‘appalling’ record.  You don’t have to make stuff up to make your point, you know.  He’d not be my choice either, incidentally, but at least I can see that he’d not necessarily be a bad choice.

Odds falling on Kjetil Knutsen. 

He's now odds on favourite and Lampard odds as long as 3/1. 

Something makes me think Lampard will end up at Villa, hence the decision to sack Smith today. 

2 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Something makes me think Lampard will end up at Villa, hence the decision to sack Smith today. 

He's a big risk, but I guess so is Frank

2 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

I thought Lampard to Villa as soon as I saw Smith had gone.  Knutson was the guy I immediately thought of last night when I saw we’d binned DF.

If it is Lampard at least you can bet your bottom dollar that Gilmour starts every game for the rest of the season...

12 minutes ago, ? said:

Couldn't get the most expensive squad in the Championship promoted

I suspect this is a bit of a ludicrous claim, when Aston Villa were in the league 

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

This just gets worse and worse, what a nightmare! Frank f***ing Lampard!!! 

I wouldn’t worry too much. Has a Villa appointment written all over it

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I thought Lampard to Villa as soon as I saw Smith had gone.  Knutson was the guy I immediately thought of last night when I saw we’d binned DF.

How come everybody has randomly heard of some obscure 53 year old Norwegian who didn't have a serious job until 3 years ago.

It feels like a significant proportion of the people calling for Knutson may be being somewhat disingenuous, or sheep, with perhaps 3 people including our resident Norwegian Olano having actually heard of him. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

This just gets worse and worse, what a nightmare! Frank f***ing Lampard!!! 

Looks like this appointment would upset all of the right people at least. 

Just now, Virtual reality said:

I wouldn’t worry too much. Has a Villa appointment written all over it

Hope you’re right, Virtual, I really do! Has disaster written all over it!

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And it looks like this appointment would please all the wrong people, or should I say one particular plastic that has probably never been to a Norwich game in their life (except Wembley ‘15 of course) 👍 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You can never please everybody. Learn to live with you doubters. Would be a great appointment.  He will also bring on so many youngsters in the norwich academy. Top man

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

For me ifs something like this..

Pros

• He's a name who will command some respect for our club in this league, we're a laughing stock currently but more pundits and fans would sit up and take notice.
  • His presence would undoubtedly lift player moral.
  • The ability to speak to the players from a place of experience, Farke & co had good theory but too naive in reality.
  • Had a great season with Chelsea when spending was not an option, working with youngsters is his strong point.
  • Potential of bringing John Terry as defensive advisor/coach.  
  • Would find a way of bringing the best out of gilmour
  • If brought in would place demands on the board to support him.
  • Would attract players, and encourage those already here to stay.

Cons

• Experience as manager is low
  • Longterm commitment is questionable
  • Lacks an identity or style which we've become accustomed with
  • Has no experience fighting relegation

Dear God no - keep John Terry a million miles away from our club !

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How come everybody has randomly heard of some obscure 53 year old Norwegian who didn't have a serious job until 3 years ago.

It feels like a significant proportion of the people calling for Knutson may be being somewhat disingenuous, or sheep, with perhaps 3 people including our resident Norwegian Olano having actually heard of him. 

Not everyone has your limited knowledge of European football, obviously.  I heard of him when linked with Celtic - this is from a piece back in 2020 looking at their options.  I thought he might be good for us if it came to it.  I guess the main query is of the step up in quality but he gets a good write-up.

A Successful Scandinavian – Kjetil Knutsen

52 year old Kjetil Knutsen didn’t have a playing career, but he is fast making up for lost time by proving himself as the next exciting coach to come out of Norway.

Knutsen’s team FK Bodø/Glimt have absolutely romped the Norwegian Eliteserien this season, winning the league with 5 games to spare, and are currently 18 points clear of Molde in second place with four games remaining. As of writing, they have scored 90 goals in 26 games, and have conceded 29. What takes this achievement to another level is the fact that this is the first time in the history of Bodø/Glimt that they have won the title, and they were only promoted to the top division in Norway in 2017. In that time, Knutsen has developed a fantastic young squad of players, with standout young talent Jens Petter Hauge leaving for AC Milan only a few months ago.

Immediate comparisons, of course, are going to be raised with ex-Celtic manager Ronny Deila. The achievements of Ronny and the achievements of Knutsen are very similar. This may cause issues with a certain section of the support, as Ronny – while not failing at Celtic – did have to concede that he was not the man to take Celtic to the next level. If Knutsen was to be appointed at Celtic, he would have to fight off the endless comparisons to Ronny Deila he would face from the media and from the Celtic support. For some narrow minded people, this would have him written off before he has even stepped into Celtic Park. There is also the matter of Knutsen being a relatively unknown name among common football fans, and this could raise issues with the players. He would have to stamp his authority on the players and win the dressing room immediately. Similar to Eddie Howe the question must be asked does he understand how important this season is to Celtic? And can he get the team playing well and playing for him straight away?

For a further insight into Kjetil Knutsen, I spoke to Norwegian football expert @FRfotbollBen.

How would you describe Knutsen’s time at Bodø/Glimt?

“Kjetil came to Glimt originally as an assistant manager working alongside Aasmund Bjorkan, who is now the Sporting Director. Bjorkan stepped aside in 2018 for Knutsen to take over as head coach, which seemed to be the club’s plan from Kjetil’s arrival.

“It did take him a little while to implement his ideas, the 2018 season was nothing special – but in 2019 Glimt deserved to win the title but ended up drawing too many games. 2020 has of course been a wonderful season for Knutsen and Glimt but it hasn’t come without a lot of hard work over the last 3 years.”

How would you describe Knutsen’s style of play and footballing philosophy?

“Knutsen’s style of play is very attacking, you only have to look at Glimt’s goalscoring feats this season and last season to see that. He always uses a 4-3-3 formation with one deep lying midfielder and two ‘box to box’ midfielders. His front 3 is comprised of two inside forward type wingers and a striker acting as an advanced forward or poacher.

It’s definitely a modern, transferable tactic, so I see no reason why he couldn’t build on this with another club. The fact that Knutsen drills his players so well in each of their roles generally means that even if a regular XI player is not able to play, there is always someone ready to step in and provide the same level of performance.”

Do you think possible comparisons to former Celtic manager Ronny Deila could prove a hinderance to Knutsen if he got the job?

“I think comparisons between Ronny and Kjetil will inevitably be made by journalists, simply because they are both Norwegian, but in reality there is a big difference between the two.

Kjetil is definitely an attacking manager in the same vein that Ronny was, but spends a lot more time with the players trying to hone their skills and develop them to be the best they can be. Knutsen expects a lot from his players as you can see from Glimt’s relentless style of play this season.

Should he end up in the Celtic job, it won’t take too long to get people onside with regards to his style of play. It would certainly be a big step up with regards to expectations, compared to the Glimt role, but Knutsen is 100% someone who could get the fans onside quickly.”

How suited do you think Knutsen would be to the job at Celtic? Could he come in and turn Celtic’s season around quickly?

“I think he is incredibly suited to the job, honestly. Especially with regards to his style of play and the kind of manager this Celtic side look like they need. Whether this move would be realistic, though, is another matter entirely. It would certainly take him time to implement his style of play and get the playing staff onside to his methods and ethos when it comes to how he thinks football should be played. But, he’s also a very good man manager and this will definitely help him in the short term in getting control of the dressing room.”

image-1.png Photo courtesy of NTB Scanpix

My take – I think Knutsen could be the most exciting name on this list in terms of just how good his current team are performing. The success he has had with Bodø/Glimt is unprecedented, and the manner in which his team play football simply makes your mouth water. I’d be very excited to see Knutsen at Celtic Park, however I do have concerns about just how big the step is from a relatively small Norwegian club to a club the size of Celtic, and the pressure he will be under especially given the current state the club are in.

• Thanks 2

Would be extremely apprehensive about this.

He's never managed a team that's up against it and ONLY got the gigs he did because of his name.

I would rather have Smith from Villa. There's substance there.