Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Frank Lampard is bookies favourite

The bookies know nothing. Webber always keeps his cards close to his chest. No one in the media knew anything about Wagner or Farke until the day it happened and nobody got a whiff of Farke's sacking despite the decision being made Thursday morning. It's pure speculation and a lot of neutrals would assume we'd go for Lampard so it's an easy way for betting companies to make some money, plus would Lampard want to work with Webber? I doubt it. If it does turn out to be Lampard it will be a pure co incidence. 

I hope not though, I'd like to think Webber has someone better and more exciting lined up. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome Frankie you have the experience in PL and Championship.  And with something to prove to the football fraternity.  You can save Billy and get the best out of him.  You will replace Kenny and Dowell to shore up the midfield.  Don't expect you to keep us up not a miracle worker but can give fans and players a lift with your playing history.  Get us playing good football again improve on Farkeball.  You won't cost the earth, backroom staff of Jody Morris and couple of others.  Being a Chelsea legend needs to be overcome obviously, but welcome nontheless, however keep your missus at home.

Who else can we get to fit after dispensing with Daniel, Frank can save Webber's reputation which is why it is Frank's job. 

2 minutes ago, pete said:

Welcome Frankie you have the experience in PL and Championship.  And with something to prove to the football fraternity.  You can save Billy and get the best out of him.  You will replace Kenny and Dowell to shore up the midfield.  Don't expect you to keep us up not a miracle worker but can give fans and players a lift with your playing history.  Get us playing good football again improve on Farkeball.  You won't cost the earth, backroom staff of Jody Morris and couple of others.  Being a Chelsea legend needs to be overcome obviously, but welcome nontheless, however keep your missus at home.

Who else can we get to fit after dispensing with Daniel, Frank can save Webber's reputation which is why it is Frank's job. 

Cr@p at Derby, worse at Chelsea. Will bring nothing to Norwich 

I actually think Frank would work. I think he’s a fairly decent manager that could be a great manager. He’s more articulate and intelligent than people realise. This represents a massive challenge but if it’s pulled off and we survive it will raise the stock of any manager that achieves it greatly.

whoever comes in has got to be willing to take a risk to even take the job.

• Like 1

Lanky Frampard? Nah, It'll be Norwich born Paul Warne from Rotherham and we'll all be told he's a loyal City supporter and the right bloke to take us forward.....and he'll be cheap.....

• Like 1

Bear in mind the post-Brexit rules, which apply not just to the manager or head coach but to the rest of the coaching staff:

'Managers have to have been working within “Top Leagues” – unspecified competitions around Europe - for the past two years, or three of the last five, or have been an international manager for all five years.'

Edited by PurpleCanary

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I actually think Frank would work. I think he’s a fairly decent manager that could be a great manager. He’s more articulate and intelligent than people realise. This represents a massive challenge but if it’s pulled off and we survive it will raise the stock of any manager that achieves it greatly.

whoever comes in has got to be willing to take a risk to even take the job.

I don't I've heard anyone question his intelligence or articulation, to be fair. 

He did okay at Derby and Chelsea but that isn't really what we need right now. 

He plays decent football and promotes youth, so he may be an option (along with Russel Martin) if we get stuck in the Championship in a couple of years.

Don't rate him at all and would devastated to have him. Seemed very mediocre everywhere he has been so far.

I don’t see the issue with Lampard. Did par at Derby and wasn’t awful at Chelsea. Certainly knows the premier league well. 

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green said:

I don't I've heard anyone question his intelligence or articulation, to be fair. 

He did okay at Derby and Chelsea but that isn't really what we need right now. 

He plays decent football and promotes youth, so he may be an option (along with Russel Martin) if we get stuck in the Championship in a couple of years.

What do we need right now then?

36 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Pros and cons?

Just cons really.

He'll be expensive.

He's a horrible person.

He's failed as a manager everywhere else.

He'll bring in more Chelsea youth players  who people will only think are good because they're at a big club.

He'll have uncle Harry trying to help with transfers to top up his pension

• Like 1

For me ifs something like this..

Pros

• He's a name who will command some respect for our club in this league, we're a laughing stock currently but more pundits and fans would sit up and take notice.
  • His presence would undoubtedly lift player moral.
  • The ability to speak to the players from a place of experience, Farke & co had good theory but too naive in reality.
  • Had a great season with Chelsea when spending was not an option, working with youngsters is his strong point.
  • Potential of bringing John Terry as defensive advisor/coach.  
  • Would find a way of bringing the best out of gilmour
  • If brought in would place demands on the board to support him.
  • Would attract players, and encourage those already here to stay.

Cons

• Experience as manager is low
  • Longterm commitment is questionable
  • Lacks an identity or style which we've become accustomed with
  • Has no experience fighting relegation

• Like 4

I'm still firmly hoping there's a possiblity of Favre, as I think he's a class above anyone else sensibly available, knows how to work with young players, is quick to make tactical changes in games and spent years working with limited funds just like us.

A perfect fit in my mind.

14 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

What do we need right now then?

No idea! I just don't think Lamps is up to the task at this stage of his career.

I could give my opinion but it's fairly pointless considering Webber's probably going to hire someone from the depths of Europe.

Talking if which, I did notice that @Bethnal Yellow and Green mentioned something about a Dortmund coach on Twitter... is there anything in that, or just a nod towards SW's recruitment style?

I wouldn’t have minded Lampard previously, but I would’ve expected Farke to have been sacked after a win like that only if someone a bit more opportunistic was available.

28 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Bit harsh on his time at Derby; he was 90 minutes away from being a huge success. Ultimately, the job he did was par for the course.

I'm still not convinced, however.

Par for the course? They had one of the biggest budgets in the league that year and were flouting FFP rules. 

He replaced the oft-maligned on here Gary Rowett and did no better, despite the addition of Wilson and Mount.

Zero improvement on the previous year and scraping into the playoffs by a point was not par for the course for that squad.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Lanky Frampard? Nah, It'll be Norwich born Paul Warne from Rotherham and we'll all be told he's a loyal City supporter and the right bloke to take us forward.....and he'll be cheap.....

We do like to do it cheap. 

I still think we will ultimately bring in someone from Europe most of us haven't heard of (not necessarily a bad thing).

Lampard fits some of Webber's bill. Good with young players and plays attractive football. I'm not sure how happy he would be in the coach model though... He seems the sort to want to have many of the responsibilities Webber has, particularly with transfers.

Edited by HertsCanary93

19 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

For me ifs something like this..

Pros

• He's a name who will command some respect for our club in this league, we're a laughing stock currently but more pundits and fans would sit up and take notice.
  • His presence would undoubtedly lift player moral.
  • The ability to speak to the players from a place of experience, Farke & co had good theory but too naive in reality.
  • Had a great season with Chelsea when spending was not an option, working with youngsters is his strong point.
  • Potential of bringing John Terry as defensive advisor/coach.  
  • Would find a way of bringing the best out of gilmour
  • If brought in would place demands on the board to support him.
  • Would attract players, and encourage those already here to stay.

Cons

• Experience as manager is low
  • Longterm commitment is questionable
  • Lacks an identity or style which we've become accustomed with
  • Has no experience fighting relegation

Great follow up on the 'what the Leeds fans think' thread. Is there any other club out there who has fans who set so much store in the opinions of other club's fans regarding the decisions for their own club? 

"Oh we're down, but at least the Man City fans approve of our decision-making."

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

I'm not convinced of Lampards qualities as a Manager, so far hes traded of his playing record.

I doubt Lampard would be a Webber type of manager he'd be interested in, he rather goes for little known foreign Coaches that hes researched up on.

I'd be prepared to give Lampard a chance if hes given the job but I don't want the clubs name to change to "Frank Lampards Norwich"!

Edited by kingsway

49 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Bit harsh on his time at Derby; he was 90 minutes away from being a huge success. Ultimately, the job he did was par for the course.

I'm still not convinced, however.

He threw that game away by not starting with a. Striker