thebigfeller

Webber concluded Farke had to go on Thursday.

- But the final, irrevocable decision was taken by the whole board YESTERDAY MORNING. Hence Delia and Michael's funereal expressions.

- None of the players or staff knew until after the game: after the players had boarded the team bus, in fact. When Webber entered the changing room and let Farke and his staff know their fate.

- Webber's press conference after Chelsea was specifically designed to ask Farke the question: can you and the players respond to this? Meaning Leeds was decisive, but Chelsea had set things in motion.

- The players were given 2 days off after Chelsea, which is unusual at this level. They looked flat in training all week ahead of Leeds.

- Cantwell lost his place in the first team dressing room altogether last week. He'll be getting it back this week.

- Farke was given an emotional send-off by the whole squad at Colney last night. His compo will cost the club upwards of a million quid.

- Norwich know who they want and he should be appointed in the next few days. Certainly well before the Southampton game.

This is all per Michael Bailey in The Athletic.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'None of the players or staff knew'

It has been said that 'senior players' were told prior to the sacking and therefore probably before the match so I assume Hanley and prehaps Krul knew.

Hanley only, purely because he's injured.

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It has been said that 'senior players' were told prior to the sacking and therefore probably before the match so I assume Hanley and prehaps Krul knew.

You sure? My reading of it was that SW had sounded out senior players, presumably about the mood at Colney, to get a sense of whether the players still supported DF. That's not the same as informing them about the decision.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Typo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

You sure? My reading of it was that SW had sounded out senior players, presumably about the mood at Conley, to get a sense of whether the players still supported DF. That's not the same as informing them about the decision.

Exactly this. I think some on this board are a little bit too black and white to appreciate that 

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'None of the players or staff knew'

There is absolutely no way that a sporting director would tell players that the manager is being sacked before the manager himself knows. Would be irresponsible to the extreme.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

There is absolutely no way that a sporting director would tell players that the manager is being sacked before the manager himself knows. Would be irresponsible to the extreme.

I read the time line to be;

Thursday - Webber tells board change is needed
Saturday - Board mull it over. Make decision Saturday morning to sack regardless of Brentford result
After game - Farke and staff told. Announcement delayed to allow them chance to tell family/friends
After Farke - Told Hanley
After Hanley - Told players on coach
Travel back to Norwich. Announcement made.
Colney - Squad gathers to say goodbye

• Like 3

I was going to post something about this but I do think this report very obviously comes from the Webber camp. 

Basically pins the blame for the questionable timing on the owners, while also saying he's gone due to stuff we can't see behind the scenes. 

It may well all be correct but its certainly all designed to show Webber in a positive light. 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I read the time line to be;

Thursday - Webber tells board change is needed
Saturday - Board mull it over. Make decision Saturday morning to sack regardless of Brentford result
After game - Farke and staff told. Announcement delayed to allow them chance to tell family/friends
After Farke - Told Hanley
After Hanley - Told players on coach
Travel back to Norwich. Announcement made.
Colney - Squad gathers to say goodbye

I can't remember which one it was, but I definitely read an article that said Webber addressed the players in the away dressing room after Farke had been told.

Just now, king canary said:

I was going to post something about this but I do think this report very obviously comes from the Webber camp. 

Basically pins the blame for the questionable timing on the owners, while also saying he's gone due to stuff we can't see behind the scenes. 

It may well all be correct but its certainly all designed to show Webber in a positive light. 

I can't agree. Given the article raises the spectre of poor recruitment, it definitely does not show Webber in a positive light. 

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I can't remember which one it was, but I definitely read an article that said Webber addressed the players in the away dressing room after Farke had been told.

MB's article specifically says he told them on the coach. 

There is no chance the players at the very least didn't have an suspicion this was happening, Farke 100% knew you could tell in his body language all game, myself and my daughter said during the game he still looked a beaten man even though we were winning. 

I agree with points re training being flat, the video they released of training on FB the other day was a massive eye opener, at the time I couldn't believe they were showing us what was clearly a depressing work place, of course makes sense they posted that video when they did now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

MB's article specifically says he told them on the coach. 

Lemme find what I read, just to ensure I'm not losing the plot...

"Sporting director Stuart Webber addressed the players in the away dressing room, after Farke had been informed of the club decision."

Freezer in this article; https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-players-reaction-daniel-farke-sacking-8469518

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Lemme find what I read, just to ensure I'm not losing the plot...

"Sporting director Stuart Webber addressed the players in the away dressing room, after Farke had been informed of the club decision."

Freezer in this article; https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-players-reaction-daniel-farke-sacking-8469518

Doesn't really matter, does it? 

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I haven't read the piece but if that timeline is correct I don't see how it is meant to show the board in  bad light. If Webber only made the recommendation to sack on Thursday then for the directors to mull it over and not take an instant decision seems sensible. The timing of telling Farke straight after the game was unfortunate, but If they had just done the deed on Thursday without properly discussing it that would have been reprehensible, and surely would have been even worse timing.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, accuracy is quite important if you want to know the ins and outs of it.

The players being told in the away dressing room or on the coach doesn't add or detract from the overall situation. Strange thing to say. 

I feel sad about the decision, but it was the right one - if in slightly odd circumstances. 

There has been some heated discussions on the subject, which is understandable. He' s been here over two years, got us promoted twice and relegated once and everyone seemed to like him. 

The club has come under severe criticism on a national basis this season and that is why they had to act. They have to be seen that they are trying to stay in the EPL and that is where their priorities are. Call it a 'Statement of Intent'.

Had Farke been left in situ with very little in the way of results, the implications for Norwich could have been severe with the EPL changing the rules regarding parachute payments and clubs being seen to come up for the money. 

Norwich have to try and make this work and been seen to try and make this work. There is no guarantee that it will, but we have a chance. 

Despite myself and some others who wanted him sacked, I take no pleasure in it. But it was a decision that Farke made a little easier than it should have been. I think he knew it was coming and the club did give him plenty of time. 

Who replaces him? I don't care who they are as long as they keep us up, but when Farkeball worked, it worked oh so well.

19 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The compo looks light to me? A four year deal - Up to 2025 signed this year so 3 1/2 years left ? 

I don’t think Farke was on a big salary, in the grand scheme of football at least. Compensation ultimately comes down to salary, although I suppose there could have been a clause inserted into the contract that was signed in the Summer that would minimise compensation in certain circumstances. 

• Like 1

on paper sacked before game was better decision but lucky or not they decided to wait game and we win important 3 pts.

So for me Farke look like lost and beaten last weeks and probably atmosphere at Colney was depressed too.

Webber is last man who can sack easy his pal after offer him 4 y deal 4 months ago so situation come to no return point obviously.

If we loose game all can be happy and now only because we win all is confused but from Webber point of view its a only right decision this club to have any hope to be competitive this season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I haven't read the piece but if that timeline is correct I don't see how it is meant to show the board in  bad light. If Webber only made the recommendation to sack on Thursday then for the directors to mull it over and not take an instant decision seems sensible. The timing of telling Farke straight after the game was unfortunate, but If they had just done the deed on Thursday without properly discussing it that would have been reprehensible, and surely would have been even worse timing.

Not necessarily to show the board in a bad light, more to say 'if you're mad at the timing don't blame me.' 

10 minutes ago, komakino said:

I feel sad about the decision, but it was the right one - if in slightly odd circumstances. 

There has been some heated discussions on the subject, which is understandable. He' s been here over two years, got us promoted twice and relegated once and everyone seemed to like him. 

The club has come under severe criticism on a national basis this season and that is why they had to act. They have to be seen that they are trying to stay in the EPL and that is where their priorities are. Call it a 'Statement of Intent'.

Had Farke been left in situ with very little in the way of results, the implications for Norwich could have been severe with the EPL changing the rules regarding parachute payments and clubs being seen to come up for the money. 

Norwich have to try and make this work and been seen to try and make this work. There is no guarantee that it will, but we have a chance. 

Despite myself and some others who wanted him sacked, I take no pleasure in it. But it was a decision that Farke made a little easier than it should have been. I think he knew it was coming and the club did give him plenty of time. 

Who replaces him? I don't care who they are as long as they keep us up, but when Farkeball worked, it worked oh so well.

Decent post for once mate.👍

Just a shame about the 1,111 others ones. 😉🤣

• Haha 1

I was furious about it last night and I think that was for the following reasons.

1) I liked Farke, wanted him to do well and thought it was the turning point. I know we didn't play well, but when you are on a bad run nobody plays well, it's about getting a result.

2) I had finally, finally had something to celebrate and then this grenade was thrown.

3) I think it looked disrespectful to a manager who has shown more loyalty than most.

However, in the cold light of day, I can understand it more. Farke had lost self belief and that's often fatal, once that creeps in then someone usually needs a break and to reset. Not sure this win would have restored it, he didn't look confident or happy yesterday, he just looked knackered.

If it had to be done, then it has to be done in a way which gives us time to appoint someone else with adaquate time to prepare. That can only really be now. 

If the players looked flat to Webber than he has to act and if you appoint a director of football than the board has to respect his decision and trust the instinct of the man they employ to make football decisions.

Basically, I'm not happy about it, but it's more understandable when it's not conflicting with the euphoria of finally winning a match. Sorry to see Farke go and I suspect it won't be the last we hear of him by any stretch of the imagination, I still suspect that had he had some luck in the early fixtures this year things could have been very different, but hopefully onwards and upwards for the club.

• Like 8

I think the decision to sack was made after the Leeds debacle and by Thursday Webber had someone lined up.  No announcement to be made until after yesterdays game.   Will it be Kjetil Knutsen?   Just won the Norwegian league losing only one game and beating Mourinjo's Roma 6-1 last month.   Announcement after Knutsens team play at 16.00 hours today???

47 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The compo looks light to me? A four year deal - Up to 2025 signed this year so 3 1/2 years left ? 

Sometimes compensation is specified in the contract. In other words, rather than simply paying up the whole value of the contract, a pre-agreed amount is paid out. Watford use this as well, for obvious reasons!

• Like 2

I really hope it is Knutsen. He ticks all the boxes for me and feels very much like a Webber appointment.

I also agree about Farke seemed flat yesterday. Barely celebrated the goals and the ole’s at the end didn’t feel quite the same as they have in the past. 

I'm still really sad Daniel has left. He was a terrific bloke and our philosophy of hiring no ****** has to extend to the next manager. He was incredibly loyal when others might not have been. As fans we have to remember that loyalty is a two way street.

Thanks for everything, Daniel. I wish you nothing but the very best.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, komakino said:

Where does that come from?

And if they don't?

28 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Decent post for once mate.👍

Just a shame about the 1,111 others ones. 😉🤣

😁

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Sometimes compensation is specified in the contract. In other words, rather than simply paying up the whole value of the contract, a pre-agreed amount is paid out. Watford use this as well, for obvious reasons!

Interesting when the accounts come out next year. 
NCFC like an NDA too. Wonder if we’ll hear much from Farke .