Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

How should Farke have been sacked?

Lots of people in various posts etc. have commented about the way he was sacked.

I too feel so sorry for Farke, however how else should the dirty deed have been done?

Presumably Webber had planned the sacking after the game, and after the interviews. 

If he had told Farke in the days before then this could be quite disruptive in terms of preparation for Brentford.

If he waits until say Monday then it gives Farke a false impression that all is ok.

Webber at least told him to his face, and then waiting until 730pm to go public.

So what should Webber have done?

Once the decision has been made to sack him, then you either do it straight away and place a caretaker in charge, or  wait until you have a replacement lined up, which is how it appears.

Maybe it would have been kinder to either wait until Monday, or to at least tell him straight away after the game and relieve him of post match interviews. It comes across as quite a cruel way to conduct things.

They obviously decided it was more beneficial to the club to do it this way. Whichever way you do it is unpleasant as it always is when someone is sacked, the only consolation Farke would have is a no doubt rather handsome payout.

Edited by OnDaBall

Sacking's never pretty, really. Especially when it's a thoroughly good bloke on the wrong end of it. The consolation is that he finished on a win, away fans got the Farke wave one last time, he can leave with his head held pretty high, and he's no doubt got a very well-deserved payoff for what he's done for our club over this period of close to four-and-a-half years.

In many ways he's transformed our club and given us our club back. Back in the days of Walker (I), we had a similar capability for bringing youngsters along with the likes of Eadie, O'Neill, Akinbiyi, Bellamy and dare I say it, Daryl Sutch. Then we lost our way somewhat for that and only ever seemed to get promising goalies. Farke (and indeed Webber) have rebuilt our reputation for sterling youth work and I really hope the next manager will show a similar degree of commitment and focus to it, even if it means there may be more use of loans as the Premier League is a particularly unforgiving place for youngsters to learn their trade.

22 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

So what should Webber have done?

He should have just finished that 'Farke out' banner message we saw on here.

It was quite clear his initial dismissal plan was to use the classic medium of 'dirty bed sheet messages from the stands' but obviously bottle it half way through the game yesterday. Instead he did it the cowards way, to his face, after careful thought and with respect.

Not a good look for a progressive DoF

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Through the medium of dance. 

Indonesian Shadow Puppets.

The only way it could have been done differently is waited until today. Let everyone have a night of celebration and then break the news in the morning/afternoon.

• Like 2

I think it would have been kinder to have somehow stopped him from doing media after the match if possible. Letting him go out and talk about the win and what it meant moving forward seemed a touch cold. 

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

The only way it could have been done differently is waited until today. Let everyone have a night of celebration and then break the news in the morning/afternoon.

I think this is right. Such a relief to get over that hurdle of not winning and joy at the winning feeling. Cruel.

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

Agreed; I think straight after the game yesterday was unnecessarily harsh. Today would have been better.

OTBC

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it would have been kinder to have somehow stopped him from doing media after the match if possible. Letting him go out and talk about the win and what it meant moving forward seemed a touch cold. 

Not sure about that. Sacked immediately? There's very little time between the end the game and the post-match interviews. I think that would have been very chaotic.

The club got the timing about right, once the decision had been made. It just feels brutal as Farke was such a fantastic servant and a really decent and thoughtful guy.

How should Farke have been sacked?....

Webbo should have on his return last night from the Bees and under the cover of darkness, covertly painted over the mural of Daniel that's on the external wall of the 'Fat Cat an' Canary'....and then painted a big question mark in its place....With "Auf Wiedersehen Danno! Best regards from Stu an' the gang" painted in six inch letters directly below it....

.....Much more subtle.....

6 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Not sure about that. Sacked immediately? There's very little time between the end the game and the post-match interviews. I think that would have been very chaotic.

The club got the timing about right, once the decision had been made. It just feels brutal as Farke was such a fantastic servant and a really decent and thoughtful guy.

He was sacked pretty mich straight after apparently so I'm not sure this way was less chaotic. 

Anyway better than have the Farke OUT banners and posters being produced by some outside CR

Great pity he wasn’t given the opportunity to resign or was he

Who Knows what goes on behind closed doors 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

He was sacked pretty mich straight after apparently so I'm not sure this way was less chaotic. 

Agreed. Really surprised he was sent out to do the media and then sacked before he'd got back to Norwich.

There's plenty of other ways it could have been handled, but I suspect that would then have resulted in the board probably having to handle the media. I'm not particularly sure they like to do that when there may be some sort of negativity around their decisions and questions to answer.

2 minutes ago, daly said:

Anyway better than have the Farke OUT banners and posters being produced by some outside CR

Great pity he wasn’t given the opportunity to resign or was he

Who Knows what goes on behind closed doors 

That's a bit Charlie Rich.......

Surely waiting until today would have been classier. Straight after the game is just unnecessarily brutal. I don't see what the club gained in those 15 hours.

42 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think this is right. Such a relief to get over that hurdle of not winning and joy at the winning feeling. Cruel.

Hold on to your hat Lakey....... I agree with you 😄 Although I would have actually done it two weeks ago....... 

If they play on a Saturday do they normally have the day off on a Sunday? Maybe that’s why he did it last evening and not today?

Good to hear Farke had a proper sendoff from Colney though. Bet it was “emotional” as Mr Jones would say.  It would have been sad if he simply just disappeared. 

14 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Surely waiting until today would have been classier. Straight after the game is just unnecessarily brutal. I don't see what the club gained in those 15 hours.

Those 15 hours gave Farke the opportunity to say his goodbyes. The players are about to scatter for international breaks. 

12 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It gained two things, as the team now either have several days off, or are dispersing on international duty. Webber told the team on the bus what had happened and it allowed them to reconvene at Colney where Farke and his team were able to speak to the players and say goodbye. If they’d done it today, there would have been no face to face chance to do that. (This is all from Michael Bailey’s Athletic article).

54 minutes ago, king canary said:

Contractually obliged to do media interviews after the game.

Like all emotionally involved pet owners DF should have been 'let go' well before it got to this stage.

My suspicion is that it was his backroom staff and coaches rather than the man himself that weren't up to it and they should have been disposed of much earlier.

As the Billy Beane character puts it in the relevant scene (about sacking players) of Moneyball: "Would you rather have a bullet in the head, or five to the chest and bleed to death?" There's no nice way about this, at least it happened in a happy moment, and I think Farke knew it was coming.