Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

A bit of me died tonight ...

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

In the past I've been so hoping for a long term manager to emerge, the likes of a John Bond for instance - or Ferguson/Wenger - as it would match the values of the club so well. I thought Lambert could be that man, then Hughton, then Neil - all of whom didn't stay for varying reasons, but with Farke I thought we had finally got that man. Someone who we could ride the roller coaster with for many years and when he was given a four year contract, I really thought that it was going to happen. 

I understand the pressure of the PL and the need to try and stay there, but this has been a bit more of an emotional shock.  DF has been brilliant for our club - and imo could have been again - and today may have been the start of that, which was partly why I was so pleased for him and the team today.  It seemed like a psychological corner had been turned. But now?  I really don't know, but it seems a decision based on lost nerve rather than anything logical.

A step back, imo....the world does turn, but it doesn't feel like it at the moment!! It seems like it started turning today for the club when the team won and then it stopped the moment the sacking was announced. I guess it will start again, but as far as the football is concerned, I don't think it will ever be the same again - Farke was the soul of the team, not Webber or DS/MJW and I doubt if that can easily be replaced. We may get a good manager in, we may even stay up, but a little bit of magic left the club today.

Agree with almost all of this  ( except the Hughton comment). I feel shocked and annoyed and upset all at the same time. Farke was unique, different, quirky and he was ours. So much of the way in which the club works revolved around his approach, that it’s difficult to see where we go from here. I really don’t want to become a Watford, with no emotional attachment to the people within the club. Your last sentence says it all.

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

I feel gutted about it to be honest, moreso that it just wasn't working. Never before have I wanted it to workout so much for a manager. But it wasn't to be. 

I would feel a lot more at ease about it if we'd sacked him after the 7-0 or Leeds, instead of a good away win - that isn't sitting right with me. He must have felt such relief at the final whistle and that a corner may have about to be turned - but now we will never know. 

He would’ve known before no doubt 

Just now, Yobocop said:

Some ways I agree, I've just seen the highlights and there is no reaction from him to the goals or anything, but his demeanour in the interview after the game suggested he didn't know IMO.  

There's no way he gives an interview like that after the game if he knew.

If that makes people feel better, sure, but there's no chance he says things like "don't write us off" if he knows he's done

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Nah.

It was a must win game. You don't risk the manager making suicidal team selections and substitutions with a £100m at stake.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

a little bit of magic left the club today.

Absolutely correct . I feel exactly the same and have never felt this way about a manager leaving . I think that is probably the correct decision somehow makes it worse - I so wanted Daniel to succeed . 

But as McNally said - that’s football. Farke is well paid , will take his money and his coaches and get another job. Highly intelligent and very well qualified . He just couldn’t adapt to the Prem for whatever reason

Will get a hell of a reception at Carrow Road whenever he returns .

Managers don’t last but Farke has left a legacy most haven’t .  

2 hours ago, Mengo said:

Good post. I understand the feelings

Somebody has to enlighten me why a four year contract was put in place. That would appear now that the club are just throwing money away. I feel for DF but life will go on for him and he will get another good job when he is ready for it.

Hopefully you’ll be prepared to accept this enlightenment since you asked for some…. He got us promoted again, developed 3 players we sold for £75m, many more who have value, he's helped change much about the club for the better and deserved the new contract.   Whether it was 4 yrs or 8, he’s deserved it, think of it as a bonus rather than a pay off!   

Top man, I wish him all the best!

IMO, Farke was part of the identity of the club.

In previous times, our manager has been "who ?" (Peter Grant) or "Oh no" (Glenn Roeder). Lambert was too for a while but when he had his hissy-fit with that Burnley affair, we knew that he wasn't that loyal.

19 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Absolutely correct . I feel exactly the same and have never felt this way about a manager leaving . I think that is probably the correct decision somehow makes it worse - I so wanted Daniel to succeed . 

But as McNally said - that’s football. Farke is well paid , will take his money and his coaches and get another job. Highly intelligent and very well qualified . He just couldn’t adapt to the Prem for whatever reason

Will get a hell of a reception at Carrow Road whenever he returns .

Managers don’t last but Farke has left a legacy most haven’t .  

I think the legacy he has left is huge. Turned a bunch of cheap players, young hopefuls and freebies into players worth huge amounts of money.  Must have brought through players worth in total.....how much...I don't know, maybe £150m in sales, including Madison and with whatever players we have now, maybe £100m's worth.....I mean that is big money, especially for a club like ours.....and maybe more if he had been allowed to develop Tzolis/Sargent/Mumba etc.   Also Webber wouldn't have been able to spend what he did if Farke hadn't been successful in bringing those players through and be so successful.

So apart from his human side, which I think most of us bought into, the success financially that he has been so instrumental in improving and of course his team building, it is clear he was a huge figure at the club.

Now Webber has questions to answer imo. It's a huge gamble to sack someone who has been such a big influence at the club. We saw today that the team were playing well for Daniel, still a fight yes, but it is always going to be a fight for a club in the PL on our resources.  Who knows? Was Farke finally starting to get better out of the players he had? had the corner been turned?  We'll never know - it's a whole new ball game now.

But his legacy should not be under-estimated. I think we'll regret sacking him.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CardiffCanary said:

Agreed … Daniel was a dignified man and didn’t deserve this humiliating end.  I thought we ‘ignored the noise’, but the sad thing is, all we’ve done is become another club that has lost its soul today.  

"Ignore the noise" doesn't mean ignore reality. His stats in the PL made for grim reading - it was the right decision. 

I have some sympathy for Farke after Webber's farcical summer transfer window. But ultimately something had to change in order to give us a fighting chance of staying up.

Daniel Farke has been an extremely good coach for us, and gave us some amazing football over the last few seasons. But loyalty can only extend so far. Beyond a certain point it's just sentimentality, and Webber is anything but that. 

I'm shocked at the timing and sad he has gone, but his failure to learn any lessons from our last stint in the PL made it inevitable. Today we beat a Championship team - but he was always good at doing that.

Last season was great, but a bit sterile with no fans and the team playing percentage football. But we'll always have 2018-19; the best season since I started supporting in 1964, including the first PL season and the European run. The best football I've ever seen from a Norwich side and the best connection to the fans from any manager or coach.

I still doubt we can stay up, but a higher profile name will give us a better chance. 

4 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Something very, very special has come to an end. We may never experience this again in our lifetimes. Hope I’m wrong but right now Lakey is right, a little bit of magic has left the club … and our lives. 

100% agree with this sentiment. I am so sad for Farke. I have never wanted it to work out more. After the final whistle today I was so pleased for him. It is an emotional goodbye. The prem performances weren't there, but he has done so much good for the club and the way he developed our young players should never be forgotten.

Saying all that, the first 45 minutes of football today was the first time we have looked like a premier league team in 20 games. That just isn't good enough for a head coach. Could this have been the turning point? I guess we will never know.

I truly hope we get to give Farke a good send off at CR one day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CardiffCanary said:

Agreed … Daniel was a dignified man and didn’t deserve this humiliating end.  I thought we ‘ignored the noise’, but the sad thing is, all we’ve done is become another club that has lost its soul today.  

No, not at all.

We HAVE ignored the noise. At all times, we've looked for the signal instead.

- The signal was that he was exactly the right man for Webber to bring in and revolutionise our whole style of play

- The signal in 2018/19 was he was bloody brilliant, our best manager in donkeys' years

- The signal was that we were unlucky with injuries in 2019/20 and he deserved the chance to put that right

- The signal was that as well as playing beautifully, we improved defensively a lot last season, and would therefore be a much tougher proposition back in the Prem

- The signal was that this season, he just couldn't do it. And was himself clearly very confused. Hence his departure. 

The 'noise' was winning at Brentford. The signal was the 10 games which went before that... and, to an extent at least, the final 10 games of 2019/20 - because the exact same signal was given off there too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

- The signal was that as well as playing beautifully, we improved defensively a lot last season, and would therefore be a much tougher proposition back in the Prem

Agree strongly with all that post except this bit. Actually, the signal was that our improved goals-against in the Championship last time was down to our spectacular possession stats. We didn't defend that much better, the opposition just never had the ball. The signs were there against the other relegated clubs, notably in the home defeat to Bournemouth where defending a lead with ten men was an excellent dry run for difficult days in the Prem. And we failed, quite comfortably.

DF did more than enough to earn a second go at the PL, but in the cold light of day he never looked like making us hard to beat against decent opposition.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

Went out with his head held high and deservedly so.

The performances have not been good enough all season and (until yesterday’s result) we couldn’t score or win in games we should have been getting something out of.

Really hoping it’s not a manager with just a playing reputation (Lampard) or the dull Steve Bruce.

This is Webber’s toughest call yet IMO and hopefully he has an ace up his sleeve.

Well done Stuart Webber for sweeping aside emotions and putting what is happening on the pitch first.

Things had become far too 'matey' within the boardroom/management/backroom staff and in the stands so a thorough clear out now could work wonders. City need a manager who does things simply and players knowing what the hell they are doing on grass as well as a computer screen.

I remember a Webber quote from early on when Farke was under pressure that they judged him on how he was developing the players and how the team played football, rather than on results. So while results have been very poor, perhaps it was the rumored behind the scenes issues with certain players and the tedious hoofball that tipped Webber over the edge?

I'm personally sad for Farke and I think the timing was terrible - at least let him enjoy the win for the weekend and have the meeting Monday morning - but everyone in football management accepts it's a ruthless business and at least he's probably set up for life financially now.

A great manager who gave us some fantastic results and performances and always came across as a decent and thoughtful man with a very good sense of humour. Wish him all the best. Mrs Peanuts even shed a few tears.

Player for player we are the poorest team in the League.

Farke was our best (albeit very slim) chance of staying up - and this is a disaster.

How many games shall we give the next man?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FCC said:

Player for player we are the poorest team in the League.

Farke was our best (albeit very slim) chance of staying up - and this is a disaster.

How many games shall we give the next man?  

Can’t agree with that - we may have a weaker squad than most but we’ve very much lost our way this season, for one reason or another.  There’s been no cohesion, style and little in attacking threat, with the messy formation v Leeds surely being the final chance. 

Our defence has also been a shambles and it is not just personnel - we have good internationals players playing there.  Conceding the best part of 2.5 goals a game is unacceptable at any level.

My favourite manager was always John Bond.  Farke IMHO is right up there with him. I felt as gutted today as I did when Bond left.

1 hour ago, Numan said:

My favourite manager was always John Bond.  Farke IMHO is right up there with him. I felt as gutted today as I did when Bond left.

Bond's departure ushered in the greatest period in our history. So here's hoping ...

Not only magic LDC but respect. This was yet another undignified howler from the board and by that I mean Smith and Jones.

I am not going to get hoodwinked anymore that our owners are the best thing for this club.

DF knew that his managerial career with us hung on results. Lose too many and you are out. But to bleddy win and then get told to get lost shows owners full of siht. I will not believe much that they say anymore.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not only magic LDC but respect. This was yet another undignified howler from the board and by that I mean Smith and Jones.

I am not going to get hoodwinked anymore that our owners are the best thing for this club.

DF knew that his managerial career with us hung on results. Lose too many and you are out. But to bleddy win and then get told to get lost shows owners full of siht. I will not believe much that they say anymore.

To be fair to “The Board” (i.e. Smith and Jones), if the recommendation had been made on Thursday and the decision ratified yesterday morning to sack DF regardless of the result in the match, then what else would you expect to have happened yesterday evening?  

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

To be fair to “The Board” (i.e. Smith and Jones), if the recommendation had been made on Thursday and the decision ratified yesterday morning to sack DF regardless of the result in the match, then what else would you expect to have happened yesterday evening?  

Not what happened. The timescale makes me wonder whether he had got back to Carrow Road before telling him.

16 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I want to watch my team play exciting, entertaining football and that is what Daniel has given us in spades

I love Farke and this statement is true of us in the championship. But we’re in the PL and I respect Webber’s decision to at least give it a go with the remainder of the season.

Farke has rarely given us exciting entertaining football at this level. Unfortunately he simply didn’t have the players for his style to work in the PL and never would at NCFC. It would have been a dream come true for it to all come together and to have enough days like Man City at home to make us a solid PL side, but it became all too clear that wasn’t going to happen and so this brave and ruthless decision has been made with the clubs best interests and aims at heart. 

17 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Had we lost today he would still be in a job, but we now have a fighting chance of staying up.

You wanted Webber, this is what you get; cold hard ruthless, and a BOD and owner that is so weak it's untrue.

100% agree - pity other Happy Clappers who are now crying over their Sunday Roast can't also!