Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

A bit of me died tonight ...

In the past I've been so hoping for a long term manager to emerge, the likes of a John Bond for instance - or Ferguson/Wenger - as it would match the values of the club so well. I thought Lambert could be that man, then Hughton, then Neil - all of whom didn't stay for varying reasons, but with Farke I thought we had finally got that man. Someone who we could ride the roller coaster with for many years and when he was given a four year contract, I really thought that it was going to happen. 

I understand the pressure of the PL and the need to try and stay there, but this has been a bit more of an emotional shock.  DF has been brilliant for our club - and imo could have been again - and today may have been the start of that, which was partly why I was so pleased for him and the team today.  It seemed like a psychological corner had been turned. But now?  I really don't know, but it seems a decision based on lost nerve rather than anything logical.

A step back, imo....the world does turn, but it doesn't feel like it at the moment!! It seems like it started turning today for the club when the team won and then it stopped the moment the sacking was announced. I guess it will start again, but as far as the football is concerned, I don't think it will ever be the same again - Farke was the soul of the team, not Webber or DS/MJW and I doubt if that can easily be replaced. We may get a good manager in, we may even stay up, but a little bit of magic left the club today.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Great last line LGD. Farke was special and even if we get a more successful manager not sure there will ever be a ‘better’ manager for our club

• Like 4

Brilliantly said. I’ve never met Farke, but he feels like a close Uncle, and it’s as if he’s suddenly just told me he’s emigrating to New Zealand. 
Something very, very special has come to an end. We may never experience this again in our lifetimes. Hope I’m wrong but right now Lakey is right, a little bit of magic has left the club … and our lives. 

Its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all 🥲

• Like 1

Good post. I understand the feelings

Somebody has to enlighten me why a four year contract was put in place. That would appear now that the club are just throwing money away. I feel for DF but life will go on for him and he will get another good job when he is ready for it.

1 minute ago, Canary Jedi said:

Brilliantly said. I’ve never met Farke, but he feels like a close Uncle, and it’s as if he’s suddenly just told me he’s emigrating to New Zealand. 
Something very, very special has come to an end. We may never experience this again in our lifetimes. Hope I’m wrong but right now Lakey is right, a little bit of magic has left the club … and our lives. 

Its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all 🥲

Absolutely hate that last line with a passion as it's pretty demonstrably wrong, but agree with the rest.

We needed a manager who could breathe confidence into some promising youngsters and help fund a rebuild, and Farke did it beautifully. I cannot remember a manager who has done that so consistently and so well with young talent.

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In the past I've been so hoping for a long term manager to emerge, the likes of a John Bond for instance - or Ferguson/Wenger - as it would match the values of the club so well. I thought Lambert could be that man, then Hughton, then Neil - all of whom didn't stay for varying reasons, but with Farke I thought we had finally got that man. Someone who we could ride the roller coaster with for many years and when he was given a four year contract, I really thought that it was going to happen. 

I understand the pressure of the PL and the need to try and stay there, but this has been a bit more of an emotional shock.  DF has been brilliant for our club - and imo could have been again - and today may have been the start of that, which was partly why I was so pleased for him and the team today.  It seemed like a psychological corner had been turned. But now?  I really don't know, but it seems a decision based on lost nerve rather than anything logical.

A step back, imo....the world does turn, but it doesn't feel like it at the moment!! It seems like it started turning today for the club when the team won and then it stopped the moment the sacking was announced. I guess it will start again, but as far as the football is concerned, I don't think it will ever be the same again - Farke was the soul of the team, not Webber or DS/MJW and I doubt if that can easily be replaced. We may get a good manager in, we may even stay up, but a little bit of magic left the club today.

Whoever it is with, I hope beyond hope that DF gets to return to Carrow Road so he can get the ovation he deserves.

• Like 2

I’ve never felt as sad losing a manager. A bit of me died too. Yet I also think the time had come and this was unavoidable/ better now than in two months with vitriol raised to unbearable levels. Yet still really sad. He’s a good man 

• Like 5

It does at least give all the FIFA Pro Managers(or whatever other sh$tty fantasy games they play) on here the chance to brag over how right they were ............🙄

Just now, Mengo said:

Good post. I understand the feelings

Somebody has to enlighten me why a four year contract was put in place. That would appear now that the club are just throwing money away. I feel for DF but life will go on for him and he will get another good job when he is ready for it.

Exactly - why have we just thrown away nearly four years wages and more importantly the best manager we've ever had??

Of course he will get another good job which he fully deserves, but we aren't going to be getting another Daniel Farke.

We are the losers in this and the fact that it is an entirely self-inflicted wound makes it pretty difficult to take.

• Like 1

I feel gutted about it to be honest, moreso that it just wasn't working. Never before have I wanted it to workout so much for a manager. But it wasn't to be. 

I would feel a lot more at ease about it if we'd sacked him after the 7-0 or Leeds, instead of a good away win - that isn't sitting right with me. He must have felt such relief at the final whistle and that a corner may have about to be turned - but now we will never know. 

Edited by alex_ncfc

I completely agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread. I've always been a staunch defender of Farke, Webber and Smith even over the past few weeks but I'm feeling very disillusioned now that this has happened. 

This will only prove to be the right decision if we stay up, and I'm not confident that's going to happen no matter who we get in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I’ve never felt as sad losing a manager. A bit of me died too. Yet I also think the time had come and this was unavoidable/ better now than in two months with vitriol raised to unbearable levels. Yet still really sad. He’s a good man 

Yup. In a funny way SW and the board have done him a favour here since he's going with everyone's sympathy and appreciation (and even anger).

I've been following City since 1985 and I think he's my favourite manager/coach. But it was time - and I'm glad he's gone with his reputation largely intact.

Thank you, Daniel. We'll always have Tim Krul running the length of the pitch at Spurs.

I liked Farke a lot, but his time had come.

The reasons for his brilliance lay mostly with the Pukki/Buendia combo. He never once really sorted our porous defence in his 4 seasons with the club.

The lack of ggoalsand creativity this season really did cement his fate.

He will be fondly remembered for his 'Farkeball' approach with me but will always appropriated to be defensively nieve. 

In short not the best we have had and nowhere near the worst...just decent.

• Like 1

Agreed … Daniel was a dignified man and didn’t deserve this humiliating end.  I thought we ‘ignored the noise’, but the sad thing is, all we’ve done is become another club that has lost its soul today.  

I'm gutted, truly gutted. I was hoping for him to be 'our' manager for a long time. I have always been a massive fan of Farke. We live up North and my son started showing an interest in football during our first promotion season, my son is a city fan purely because of the entertaining style (and the winning) that Farke created, despite his friends all supporting Middlesbrough. I owe him big time.

I needed to have a beer after hearing about it and couldn't help myself but giving a little cheers to Farke before my first sip. I say again, gutted.

23 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Great post but the last 2 lines is probably all that needed to have been said and sums up my feelings perfectly. 

Edited by Virtual reality

Had we lost today he would still be in a job, but we now have a fighting chance of staying up.

You wanted Webber, this is what you get; cold hard ruthless, and a BOD and owner that is so weak it's untrue.

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I completely agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread. I've always been a staunch defender of Farke, Webber and Smith even over the past few weeks but I'm feeling very disillusioned now that this has happened. 

This will only prove to be the right decision if we stay up, and I'm not confident that's going to happen no matter who we get in.

I think it could prove to be the right decision, but it's a massive risk.

I don't think I'll ever connect with the club in the same way as long as the current ownership and board structure is in place. They've proven themselves to be just as cynical a mob as any other owner who thinks they might stand to lose their plaything, and it's a difficult feeling to think you might just have backed the wrong horse over the last decade or so.

Well said LDC. No Reactions left. 👍 Looking at how this season has gone, coupled with the second half of the last Prem season, it isn't really a huge shock that he's gone. But it is a sad one and the timing makes it even harder to swallow. I'm a Farke fan and will always be grateful for what he delivered. When the dust settles, it may well prove to have been the correct decision. I think DF can leave with his head held high and he will certainly get himself another good job whenever he deems that desirable. And I echo the above post about being able to show our appreciation if he ever comes back in whatever capacity. A strange & bittersweet day. Schönen Dank für alles Herr Farke und viel Glück!

Sad but this is why I say never get to attatched to a manager or player, they always move on or move up. The transfer of Ron Davies made me realise this was the only way to go. They all have their time and then its over.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

I think it could prove to be the right decision, but it's a massive risk.

I don't think I'll ever connect with the club in the same way as long as the current ownership and board structure is in place. They've proven themselves to be just as cynical a mob as any other owner who thinks they might stand to lose their plaything, and it's a difficult feeling to think you might just have backed the wrong horse over the last decade or so.

I'm pretty sure it will turn out to be the wrong decision but I entirely agree with your second paragraph.

Just for clarity I think it is highly unlikely that a new manager will keep us up, even less likely than than Daniel keeping us up, but if a new manager does somehow manage to keep us up by playing the same dull, negative, cynical cr@p that passes for football at most Premiership clubs then it will still be the wrong decision IMO, because I don't give a stuff about staying in the Premiership - I want to watch my team play exciting, entertaining football and that is what Daniel has given us in spades.

He got the sack and a handsome pay out it’s not like he’s got cancer he’ll be just fine. Give it some time who knows we might get someone in who can coach a team to defend and press 🤷‍♂️

I am stunned and numbed by this news and feel desperately sorry for Farke. The timing is of course horrible and it’s obvious to all that the decision was made before today’s match. Let’s face it, had Brentford beaten us today Farke’s already precarious position would have shifted into perilous. He was already teetering on the brink but many of us hoped he would be able to step back and today’s win allowed us to hope. IMO Webber’s role in all of this is pretty unimpressive and his handling of Farke from the recently awarded 4 year contact to today’s sacking has the stench of incompetence and passing of the buck. Good luck Daniel and thanks for the wonderful times and football you gave us , some of the best I have ever seen from Norwich. I won’t mention the bad times ! 

44 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Farke was the soul of the team, not Webber or DS/MJW and I doubt if that can easily be replaced. We may get a good manager in, we may even stay up, but a little bit of magic left the club today.

For the past year or so he'd primarily stay sat at his dugout chair watching the game on an iPad, showing very little emotion, and has been really rather different to the pumped up tracksuit manager that came here four years ago with his big trendy coat. 

If Farke is the soul of the team then perhaps that explains why they've been playing with so little passion this season. Farke lost some of his spark in my opinion, and perhaps deep down will realise a change is best for him too. 

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

For the past year or so he'd primarily stay sat at his dugout chair watching the game on an iPad, showing very little emotion, and has been really rather different to the pumped up tracksuit manager that came here four years ago with his big trendy coat. 

If Farke is the soul of the team then perhaps that explains why they've been playing with so little passion this season. Farke lost some of his spark in my opinion, and perhaps deep down will realise a change is best for him too. 

We will have to see