Sign in to follow this  
thebigfeller

Thanks for everything Daniel, but this is the right decision

This is brave, ballsy, ruthless... and the right call. A manager can't be the wrong man according to most folk on here when he's taken 2 points from 20 PL games - and suddenly the right man again when he's taken 3 points from the next game. Even today - our best performance of the season, by far - we were hanging on for grim death at the end, and made enormously heavy weather of it. We hung on more by luck than judgement at times.

In any case: this decision will have been made before today. The timing is because of the international break - when you either stick or twist, and accept the consequences of either. It's quite ludicrous that had we lost today, nobody would be questioning it... but because we won, against opponents who will struggle hugely themselves, apparently it's outrageous!

Why's it been made? Because no football club which fights tooth and nail to get into this league should ever be happy to just slide straight back out again. Norwich's target isn't being a 'top 26 club' any more. It's top 17, confirmed as such by Michael Bailey in The Athletic a few weeks back. Stuart Webber, rightly or wrongly, thinks the players we've signed are good enough to achieve that. I think he's very likely wrong on that - but if the head coach doesn't believe in those signings, and especially doesn't know how to utilise them effectively, you have to get rid.

The situation with Cantwell and especially Gilmour has been baffling, bewildering - and in Todd's case, whatever the whys and wherefores, financially damaging too, given how the self-sustaining model is supposed to work. Abandoning a tactical system which had worked so well was also very strange. Everyone at the club has to be on the exact same page: that's how it works in a Sporting Director/Head Coach model. Under which, changing the latter should happen pretty seamlessly - and I'm quite sure we've got someone lined up already. Probably again from Germany.

Thankyou, Daniel, for everything you've done for our club. You are a Norwich City legend and will always be welcome back. You've given us bucketloads of memories and have left a real legacy; we'll never forget you. Vielen, vielen dank! ❤️ But football at this most rarefied of levels is about being hardnosed, not sentimental. I've had a gutful of nice little Norwich being patronised to high heaven and dithering ourselves to oblivion over previous tough decisions (Alex Neil, Chris Hughton, Nigel Worthington, even Bryan Gunn for a time) - and am relieved we've made this one before things got toxic, and sent Farke out on something of a high too. He deserves that, at least.

The number one issue - lack of investment, lack of resources - absolutely remains. But without new owners and desperately needed millions, this was the only way of giving us even half a chance. 5 points from 21 PL games means he wasn't making remotely the best of a very, very, very hard job. So let's see if his successor can. 

The king is dead. Long live the king. Onwards and maybe, just maybe, upwards. OTBC.

Edited by thebigfeller
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Can agree with most of that, but really, time will tell whether the players are good enough or whether actually Farke was actually doing the best with what he had, given the lack of resources the club had to give him. Sad day for the club imo. 

• Like 1

We don't know that its the right decision. In my opinion i don't think it is. Let's hope I'm proven wrong.

13 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

This is brave, ballsy, ruthless... and the right call. A manager can't be the wrong man according to most folk on here when he's taken 2 points from 20 PL games - and suddenly the right man again when he's taken 3 points from the next game. Even today - our best performance of the season, by far - we were hanging on for grim death at the end, and made enormously heavy weather of it. We hung on more by luck than judgement at times.

In any case: this decision will have been made before today. The timing is because of the international break - when you either stick or twist, and accept the consequences of either. It's quite ludicrous that had we lost today, nobody would be questioning it... but because we won, against opponents who will struggle hugely themselves, apparently it's outrageous!

Why's it been made? Because no football club which fights tooth and nail to get into this league should ever be happy to just slide straight back out again. Norwich's target isn't being a 'top 26 club' any more. It's top 17, confirmed as such by Michael Bailey in The Athletic a few weeks back. Stuart Webber, rightly or wrongly, thinks the players we've signed are good enough to achieve that. I think he's very likely wrong on that - but if the head coach doesn't believe in those signings, and especially doesn't know how to utilise them effectively, you have to get rid.

The situation with Cantwell and especially Gilmour has been baffling, bewildering - and in Todd's case, whatever the whys and wherefores, financially damaging too, given how the self-sustaining model is supposed to work. Abandoning a tactical system which had worked so well was also very strange. Everyone at the club has to be on the exact same page: that's how it works in a Sporting Director/Head Coach model. Under which, changing the latter should happen pretty seamlessly - and I'm quite sure we've got someone lined up already. Probably again from Germany.

Thankyou, Daniel, for everything you've done for our club. You are a Norwich City legend and will always be welcome back. You've given us bucketloads of memories and have left a real legacy; we'll never forget you. Vielen, vielen dank! ❤️ But football at this most rarefied of levels is about being hardnosed, not sentimental. I've had a gutful of nice little Norwich being patronised to high heaven and dithering ourselves to oblivion over previous tough decisions (Alex Neil, Chris Hughton, Nigel Worthington, even Bryan Gunn for a time) - and am relieved we've made this one before things got toxic, and sent Farke out on something of a high too. He deserves that, at least.

The number one issue - lack of investment, lack of resources - absolutely remains. But without new owners and desperately needed millions, this was the only way of giving us even half a chance. 5 points from 21 PL games means he wasn't making remotely the best of a very, very, very hard job. So let's see if his succcessor can. 

The king is dead. Long live the king. Onwards and maybe, just maybe, upwards. OTBC.

TBF, spot on. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

The number one issue - lack of investment, lack of resources - absolutely remains. But without new owners and desperately needed millions, this was the only way of giving us even half a chance. 5 points from 21 PL games means he wasn't making remotely the best of a very, very, very hard job. So let's see if his succcessor can. 

The struggling at the end is easily explained by the lack of confidence from not winning; likely the win today will help in addressing that issue. 

If we're still a Premier League club next season it will have been a decent decision; if we don't survive then we may be in much bigger trouble than if we'd simply stuck the course. 

Maybe it won't prove to be the right decision, but I'm pretty sure it's not the wrong one, if you see what I mean. We wouldn't have survived with DF at the helm IMO, hopefully the new man gives us the best possible chance. But it's a very sad day, let's not let that be overlooked.

Right decision, as harsh as it’s turned out to be right timing too, for the Club, but unlike many other managers dismissed in the past it’s hugely disappointing and sad. I guess thats the ultimate accolade for the man that even despite an horrendous PL run of games that both fans pro and against him continuing feel a sense of loss on what should be a great day. Problems certainly run much deeper than this gent.

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

22 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

I agree with most of this. A welcome dispassionate view among the perhaps understandable emotion and the desire of some to go through convoluted  hoops to attack the owners even if it was the decision the same posters had been calling for up until now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

I agree with 95% of that.

What I can't abide is the fact Farke was hung out to dry. The justification of the "international break" timing that every board supporter seems to be so happy to accept is IMO total nonsense; if he was a dead man walking he should have gone last week or the week before. Either your position as manager is tenable or untenable. The break would still have been there, and the earlier we started looking the more likely we are to get our man and have a squad who know their days' as Daniel's favourites might have been in question.

This was obviously a bit of a cynical ploy from the board who expected us to lose/draw the game and draw upon the ire of the fans. You can almost hear the quotes: "We acted quickly after it was clear he had lost the players and the fans"; "We've always acted in the best interests of the club, we had faith in Daniel but this made it clear we had to make a change."

The reality is, of course, somewhat different. Clearly the wheels were put in motion long before tonight, and it rather  casts a doubt on whether in terms of the bigger picture, Delia and Michael are actually as honest as selfless about the club as they claim to be.

Edited by Ian

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I agree with 95% of that.

What I can't abide is the fact Farke was hung out to dry. The justification of the "international break" timing that every board supporter seems to be so happy to accept is IMO total nonsense; if he was a dead man walking he should have gone last week or the week before. Either your position as manager is tenable or untenable. The break would still have been there, and the earlier we started looking the more likely we are to get our man and have a squad who know their days' as Daniel's favourites might have been in question.

This was obviously a bit of a cynical ploy from the board who expected us to lose/draw the game and draw upon the ire of the fans. You can almost hear the quotes: "We acted quickly after it was clear he had lost the players and the fans"; "We've always acted in the best interests of the club, we had faith in Daniel but this made it clear we had to make a change."

The reality is, of course, somewhat different and rather casts a doubt on whether in the bigger picture, Delia and Michael are actually as honest about things as they claim to be.

Clearly the wheels were put in motion long before tonight, and IMO, it rather 

He wasn't 'hung out to dry'. He happened to win his last match in charge. That's it. 

The international break is a key staging post in any season. Many clubs stick or twist at that point - because it's far, far harder to make an impact in between games than during a break in the campaign. And also, there'd have been no point in us leaving a caretaker in charge today if the new man we'll have lined up can't appear til next week, for whatever reason. 

If the players already knew (and I think they must've done), fair play to them for rolling their sleeves up and giving him such a send-off. But if so, that suggests their commitment's been lacking in too many other matches to date - and that someone else (someone who's not so tactically confused, which Farke has been almost all season) should be able get that out of them.

That may sound harsh. But I don't support Daniel Farke FC. I support Norwich City FC. And all managers reach their end point at some stage. That's football; that's life.

34 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

Good post, never an easy decision, time will tell if it was the right one. Thanks DF for two wonderful promotion seasons. Good luck in the next job which I suspect will be back in Germany 

All jolly good stuff on here but Webber should take huge responsibility for the position that we are in. Personally, I am shocked and disgusted.  How ill-judged it was of Webber to recommend to the Board snd conclude a new four year contract with DF only a few months ago. The decision and its timing stinks of utter incompetence.

17 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

He wasn't 'hung out to dry'. He happened to win his last match in charge. That's it. 

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I don't have a problem with the decision to get rid of him. The way it was handled was poor. Why let the guy give interviews to the media when he could have said anything (e.g. I love the club and want to stay here for as long as I am allowed) rather than give him the hook at the full time whistle? Could it be because Webber et al. wouldn't want to face the media themselves?

The international break is a key staging post in any season. Many clubs stick or twist at that point - because it's far, far harder to make an impact in between games than during a break in the campaign. And also, there'd have been no point in us leaving a caretaker in charge today if the new man we'll have lined up can't appear til next week, for whatever reason.

Yes, and many clubs sack their entire coaching team outside of international breaks too. My point is that if Farke's position was untenable, he should have been removed immediately rather than used as a convenient stopgap. It's disrespectful to a guy who has delivered a lot for this club.

The international break is a two-week period where some players will be away from the club and not coaching at it. Not sure how that equates to a marvellous time to make a change.

If the players already knew (and I think they must've done), fair play to them for rolling their sleeves up and giving him such a send-off. But if so, that suggests their commitment's been lacking in too many other matches to date - and that someone else (someone who's not so tactically confused, which Farke has been almost all season) should be able get that out of them.

If the players already knew then it further undermines Stuart Webber's ability to run a professional organisation. If I was a potential manager/head coach coming in to take over from Daniel, and I read how Stuart backed DF during the week whilst hoping he lost at the end of it, I would have serious doubts over "the model".

That may sound harsh. But I don't support Daniel Farke FC. I support Norwich City FC. And all managers reach their end point at some stage. That's football; that's life.

Absolutely. But that doesn't mean the club have handled this situation in the sort of fashion I would expect a well run and professional organisation to do so. Certainly not one that preach to be a paragon of virtue in a world of sinners.

It also does not mean that I can't be critical of the timing and implementation of such a decision, or look towards a higher level than Farke to take responsibility for 5 points from 11.

Edited by Ian

It was always going to be a sad one when Farke left, he’s done so much and I don’t believe for a second any supporter wanted him to fail. He deserves to leave with the thanks of all of us for achieving the top 26 goal with two great titles.

What you’ve said is pretty much entirely correct though in my opinion. The timing is cold, but the decision is totally justifiable.

I’m glad we won today so Daniel goes out with a result, but you are right in the context of his record at this level and the performances this season it was pretty meaningless.

• Like 1

I'm gutted. Didnt want him sacked and think we've just got rid of arguably our best ever manager. Hope he goes on to have an amazing career. 

Farke's on a horse!

The timing was horrible.

If IT was a smart move, well it depends om the signing og the new manager

Suppose this will be Webber's "Ranieri" moment. That said, Ranieri had to go at Leicester, despite the wonderful story of the previous season.

However, only time will tell if he's right. Farke won't need to stick his hand in his pocket for a pint in Norwich again, that's for sure.

12 minutes ago, Olano said:

The timing was horrible.

If IT was a smart move, well it depends om the signing og the new manager

Great post OP.

Olano - Do you think Knutsen from Bodo Glimt could be a possibility?

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Suppose this will be Webber's "Ranieri" moment. That said, Ranieri had to go at Leicester, despite the wonderful story of the previous season.

However, only time will tell if he's right. Farke won't need to stick his hand in his pocket for a pint in Norwich again, that's for sure.

A very good comparison. In both cases, the two clubs concerned shot Bambi. But sadly, in this mean, bad world, it's what's necessary at times.

4 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Great post OP.

Olano - Do you think Knutsen from Bodo Glimt could be a possibility?

Nope he wants to win over Roma in conferance leage, and geth a new Norwegian title. 

January the first is the day he sign for a new club😭

3 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

A very good comparison. In both cases, the two clubs concerned shot Bambi. But sadly, in this mean, bad world, it's what's necessary at times.

Loving how people are already hedging their bets in the scenario that things go massively south next season.

1 minute ago, Olano said:

Nope he wants to win over Roma in conferance leage, and geth a new Norwegian title. 

January the first is the day he sign for a new club😭

👍

Very harsh in some ways but the correct decision.

I think we can safely say Webber is here to stay, unless he has already agreed to step down should he fail this season.

58 minutes ago, Erraticus said:

All jolly good stuff on here but Webber should take huge responsibility for the position that we are in. Personally, I am shocked and disgusted.  How ill-judged it was of Webber to recommend to the Board snd conclude a new four year contract with DF only a few months ago. The decision and its timing stinks of utter incompetence.

WEBBER HAS TAKEN RESPONIBILITY .  This is why he has decided to change the manager

1 hour ago, thebigfeller said:

I very much doubt any players were informed before hand. It would be impossible to control the spread of information if you start revealing very confidential information. Besides the players would probably start laying bets at the bookies if they knew, and the game would be truly up.

1 hour ago, Erraticus said:

Yes Webber should take responsibility. Responsibility for taking us from a mid table championship club with financial difficulties to being to being a financially stable premier league club whilst substantially upgrading the academy and training facilities on the way. Thus far not a competitive premier league club, but a premier league club nonetheless.

Giving Daniel a new contract reflected the anticipation that the journey could continue with him at the helm. Unfortunately results have demonstrated otherwise. If we are to continue to progress sadly a change was needed. 

As the OP has pointed out at least the board has acted early and decisively, there has been no dithering on this occasion. A criticism that has been levelled at them in the past. I would also expect it to have been a very tough decision for them, and one made with a heavy heart.

OTBC

• Thanks 1

On 06/11/2021 at 22:36, mastoola said:

WEBBER HAS TAKEN RESPONIBILITY .  This is why he has decided to change the manager

I have only just read your reply Mastoola (and Sussex Yellow's) and I feel I should respond. I do think your response to my post was simplistic -   i.e. team not performing, fans complaining, so sack the manager

When I referred to the position that we are in, I was of course referring to the retrogression of Webber's project, a project with the stated aims of being a self-funded club, of gaining promotion to the Premiership and becoming established in that division. A project which the vast majority of fans was persuaded to embrace. I wasn't finding fault with Farke at all and I was ashamed at the way he was dismissed. I was focusing on Webber and the fact that he is the Director who devised the project and, as such, he has/had both the responsibility and the authority for the key decisions required at different stages to successfully pursue and achieve the stated aims. Twice we were promoted and twice we have entered the top division with inadequate player resources. One definition of incompetence is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different and better result. IMHO Farke was used as the scapegoat and my view at the time and also now is that it was a shameful low in our wonderful club's history.

And, referencing Laurel and Hardy, and borrowing your use of capital letters WHAT A MESS WE ARE IN NOW . We were already becoming a bit of a laughing stock and each day seems to bring even more ridicule on our club. What price The Project now or is that to be abandoned ?