Sign in to follow this  
Ian

The Board Must Be Held Accountable

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Wow, and I've been accused of being naive tonight. I would be very surprised had a competent Premiership club not briefed certain local journalists with favourable stories. Do you know Delia personally at all?

Let's say I accept your justification for keeping him in post, and that the club genuinely felt him preparing the team was vital for a Brentford win. Doesn't really explain why they would need him to do his post-match interviews though would it? MOTD:

"There's a lot of fight at the club, don't write us off." 

I can't quite understand the cynicism over the sacking. 

I haven't been sure how to feel about it tonight, I was in the reluctant Farke out camp before the game and changes definitely had to be made as its not just the results which have been awful this season, but the manner of the performances and total lack of game plan. The Leeds game was the last straw for me, having seen us revert to hoofball, highlighting we had truly lost our identity that Farke had built. 

Ian, you keep questioning why the board gave him the Leeds game and the Brentford game. However, I genuinely don't think a decision to sack him had been made after the Chelsea game, and the public statement from Webber really backs this up. I suspect they had planned to give him a couple more games but the manner of the defeat against Leeds must have been the last chance. It was truly our worst performance of the season for me in terms of we had no obvious gameplan and no identity anymore and Leeds looked the weakest team we have played all season. 

I suspect the final decision was made after that Leeds performance and the club has been starting the process of getting the replacement in since then. If this is the case as I suspect, then I agree with what the club choose to do, which is give Farke and his coaching team responsibility for the Brentford game, as this gave us our best chance of winning.  Football is a cut throat business and this is just part of it. 

Now the fact senior players were consulted is an interesting one. I suspect no direct reference would have been made to any sacking but rather it was a case of understanding the feeling among the players. I think it would be stupid not to do so before making a decision to sack a manager or not. 

I agree that it never looks good sacking a manager after a win, but when is a good time!? I am sort of releaved that Farke got a win before being sacked and one more chance to thank the fans and the visa versa. 

I also agree that part of the reason  behind the sacking is that Webber needs to protect his reputation, however, Webber has still given him longer to try and turn things around than any other club would. 

5 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I also agree that part of the reason  behind the sacking is that Webber needs to protect his reputation, however, Webber has still given him longer to try and turn things around than any other club would. 

At the end of the day, Webber's reputation is tied to our performances on the pitch. If we go down by one point, people will say he kept Farke in post too long.

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indeed. As to the rest, posters cannot have it both ways. They wanted Farke gone, and he has been sacked, and at an obviously sensible time, just before an international break. Posters also complain that Smith and Jones are not ruthless enough, and now they object to them being ruthless.

This. And people can't lie. Its literally in the posting archives on here over the last couple weeks:

"Our board arent ruthless enough,  they'll never sack Farke and if we scrape a win against Brentford they'll think they're off the hook"

"Oh, wait. We didn't realise being ruthless actually meant being ruthless."

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

We have just gone back to doing what everyone elsr does as soon as they hit a bad patch. I thought wr had moved beyond this pointless knee jerk reaction. I was wrong.

It wasn't a knee jerk reaction. Reversing their decision on the basis of a single positive result would have been a knee jerk reaction. They just went through with the decision they'd already made (after Leeds), when, let's face it, Farke's position had become untenable. 

I do agree with some that the board are somewhat at fault here. I think there were some major mistakes made during the transfer window, which made the head coach's job a lot harder than it needed to be. But something had to change after the first 10 games. Anything else would have just been negligence. 

Overall, Farke was a great manager for us, and he'll go down as a Norwich City legend. It's nice in a way that he signed off with a win and with the fans cheering his name. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ian said:

This season was the perfect time to really try and attract fresh investment, on favourable terms and with a fantastic backbone. You have to ask why that wasn't actually sought, and we're now back in the endless cycle of pretending that the manager is at fault for our woes. In reality, we sold our best player and absolutely did not back him in any of the areas that might have cost a few quid.

Smith and Jones have made it clear they don't want to lose their controlling interest. This has been discussed many times and like it or not they are highly unlikely to sell their shares or issue additional shares which would effectively remove their overall control. 

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

We have just gone back to doing what everyone elsr does as soon as they hit a bad patch. I thought wr had moved beyond this pointless knee jerk reaction. I was wrong.

"Pointless knee jerk reaction" couldn't be further from the truth.

15 straight defeats. 21 games without a win. 2.6 shots only per game. Yesterday was first time we've scored more than once in 29 Premier League games. Our goal difference is the worst at this stage from any top league side this century. Farke has had as much patience afforded him as any of our managers in history and I think that's incontrovertible. 

10 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

You keep posting false alternatives. As it happens I think the likeliest explanation for how this played out has been provided by the local journalist Chris West.

That the directors made the decision earlier this week but held off from announcing it so as not to disrupt Farke's preparations for the Brentford game. Which explains why,  if it is the case, that  the directors looked glum as the match progressed today.

it wasn't that a win upset their plans. it was they had a very human feeling that they were going to have to break bad news to a very nice man.

I got the name wrong, probably because I used to work with someone named Chris West:

BX9tmBSp_normal.jpeg

Understand Norwich made the decision to sack Daniel Farke earlier this week, but didn’t want to disrupt the team ahead of crucial game vs Brentford. Farke was told after the match, but statement was delayed to allow him to inform family and friends that he had been let go. #NCFC

-
There is also the possible factor that Webber has been sounding out the replacement (and bear in mind it is Farke and his whole team that have gone) and was leaving off advising the board to sack Farke until that was firmed up, or getting close to be firmed up.

Any sacking is tough, as anyone who's had to fire someone will confirm, and Farke is plainly a very appealing character who produced some great football. The first fifteen minutes against Bournemouth last season when we had 11 players was breathtaking. And much more to remember. But it became hard to refute the argument that in the Premier League his methods didn't work.

The other point is that Webber, who presumably now is staying for a while, is now very exposed. His choice of successor has to be spot on.

The board are accountable. They have sacked a manager who couldn’t buy a result in the Premiership, had a less than 10% win ratio in the premiership, was openly freezing players out which the club had paid money for, and therefore was not playing his strongest 11. You seem to think Stuart Webber made the decision all on his own! I very much doubt that was the case!

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I got the name wrong, probably because I used to work with someone named Chris West:

BX9tmBSp_normal.jpeg

Understand Norwich made the decision to sack Daniel Farke earlier this week, but didn’t want to disrupt the team ahead of crucial game vs Brentford. Farke was told after the match, but statement was delayed to allow him to inform family and friends that he had been let go. #NCFC

-
There is also the possible factor that Webber has been sounding out the replacement (and bear in mind it is Farke and his whole team that have gone) and was leaving off advising the board to sack Farke until that was firmed up, or getting close to be firmed up.

Any sacking is tough, as anyone who's had to fire someone will confirm, and Farke is plainly a very appealing character who produced some great football. The first fifteen minutes against Bournemouth last season when we had 11 players was breathtaking. And much more to remember. But it became hard to refute the argument that in the Premier League his methods didn't work.

The other point is that Webber, who presumably now is staying for a while, is now very exposed. His choice of successor has to be spot on.

Bailey's report in The Athletic is essentially giving the same account as Wise, and includes the line that Webber is close  to getting in the replacement.

Clear out the old and bring in the new......All hail and praise be, to Super Stu and our Brilliant board for their ruthlessness and decisiveness..... 

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

How can a win ratio of 6 games in 49 be a knee jerk reaction? 

After considering things today, the supposed timelines and the way things have been done, it’s disappointing, but done now. I’m sure Farke will go onto a very high profile job, he’s and excellent coach, developing youth and getting more out of ordinary players, as someone asked “Have we been punching above our weight”.

Well we shall find out, for me the combination of Webber/Farke was a good four seasons, I’m not sure who Webber will bring in to a better job. The talk of high profile managers like Nuno Santo are outside our scope, they won’t come to a club on the cusp of relegation with such a limited way of working and budget. It’s not good for them.

Lampard might be bookies choice but again I’m not sure he’ll come here, it’s a possible poison chalice in our position and if he fails worse than Farke his reputation as a manager could be terminal for future employment.

I don’t think they have anyone lined up, but I do think we will end up with Robins, if I was a betting man I would put my £1 on that. He’s been pretty successful so far as a manager, a good bit of experience and would be grateful for the chance to manage at premiership level.

So we shall see, but I really believe pressure must be put on the set up now, Webber is the main reason for the players we have, we lost a lot of people in the backroom staff during the summer and our signings so far look good on paper yet not really improved our performances. He must be culpable if we go down and should follow Farke out the door if we get relegated.

Last as the thread says, the board and set up isn’t set up ever will be a premier league level as our wage structure, finances and attractiveness is not high profile enough with the current owners. We’ve had this pretty much every time we go up, bar the three seasons we had, even that with three seasons in the top flight lead to financial issues. So I tend have full sympathy that we don’t have rich owners, yes they are doing the best in their limited way, but the question is are they holding the club back as some say or are they doing a great job and we should be grateful we’re punching above our weight?

Every time we get to this promised land we all moan about the media and pundits, who tend to give us the same grief of not giving it a go, we’ll there comes a time to ask yourself, most of these pundits are ex pros, been involved in the game at that high level ad might actually be correct!

As nice as self sustaining model is, it is limiting and this could be our last chance at this level to actually stay here!

Edited by Indy

The other reason for timing the dismissal immediately after the game is that Farke and the non-internationals go on leave immediately after returning to Norwich from the last match before the International break.  Therefore Farke would have caught the next flight to Germany to spend time with his family, and was not due to return until next Friday.  Therefore to dismiss him face to face it had to happen after the match, otherwise the best part of a week would be lost.  It all suggests that a replacement is imminent (hopefully I'm not reading the runes on this wrong).