Sign in to follow this  
Ian

The Board Must Be Held Accountable

Let's start by qualifying this post. Getting rid of Daniel Farke was a justifiable decision. Results have been abysmal, and given our previous Premiership campaign, even a real Farke admirer like myself could understand the decision if it was made last week.

However, let's not beat around the bush. If the reports tonight are true, it seems as if the club have someone lined up to come in and take the reigns. Those negotiations do not happen overnight.

To leave Daniel Farke in charge this week, to let him beat Brentford away, and then to handle media duties in seeming ignorance of his impending sacking is an absolute shambles at best, and a total disgrace at worst.

This is a man who has always handled himself with dignity, has had a huge role in turning the club around when it was on its knees, and has won two Championship titles whilst establishing an identity of football. He has built a rapport with fans, brought through countless youth players and made them into assets, and reconnected many fans with their club. This is not a caretaker manager brought in for a few games. He did not deserve this clumsy and embarrassingly amateur handling of his dismissal.

Again, let's not turn this into an argument about whether you think Farke should have stayed or should have gone earlier, let us look at the bigger picture here. We have owners who preach morals and social responsibility, and apparently an absolute mastermind in Stuart Webber, yet when the chips were down, they sought to leave Farke in charge, hoping a loss today would turns the fans and justify their decision.

In my opinion, this was clearly a weak and cynical attempt at deflecting any responsibility away from themselves, whilst stabbing DF in the back, Cowardly, disrespectful, and an utter shambles for a club that is supposedly run professionally.

Best of luck Daniel, myself and many fans will not forget the part you played in turning this club around, and it's a pity we couldn't make a better start this season. I wouldn't have been surprised to see you go last week, but the way this has been handled is pitiful and I feel slightly ashamed to be associated with the club tonight.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Ian said:

Let's start by qualifying this post. Getting rid of Daniel Farke was a justifiable decision. Results have been abysmal, and given our previous Premiership campaign, even a real Farke admirer like myself could understand the decision if it was made last week.

However, let's not beat around the bush. If the reports tonight are true, it seems as if the club have someone lined up to come in and take the reigns. Those negotiations do not happen overnight.

To leave Daniel Farke in charge this week, to let him beat Brentford away, and then to handle media duties in seeming ignorance of his impending sacking is an absolute shambles at best, and a total disgrace at worst.

This is a man who has always handled himself with dignity, has had a huge role in turning the club around when it was on its knees, and has won two Championship titles whilst establishing an identity of football. He has built a rapport with fans, brought through countless youth players and made them into assets, and reconnected many fans with their club. This is not a caretaker manager brought in for a few games. He did not deserve this clumsy and embarrassingly amateur handling of his dismissal.

Again, let's not turn this into an argument about whether you think Farke should have stayed or should have gone earlier, let us look at the bigger picture here. We have owners who preach morals and social responsibility, and apparently an absolute mastermind in Stuart Webber, yet when the chips were down, they sought to leave Farke in charge, hoping a loss today would turns the fans and justify their decision.

In my opinion, this was clearly a weak and cynical attempt at deflecting any responsibility away from themselves, whilst stabbing DF in the back, Cowardly, disrespectful, and an utter shambles for a club that is supposedly run professionally.

Best of luck Daniel, myself and many fans will not forget the part you played in turning this club around, and it's a pity we couldn't make a better start this season. I wouldn't have been surprised to see you go last week, but the way this has been handled is pitiful and I feel slightly ashamed to be associated with the club tonight.

100 per cent support this.

You can't say it's the justifiable decision and then criticise the club for doing it at the time which will cause the least disruption. Two weeks off now to get the new man in. That's not "clumsy", "cowardly", "disrespectful" - it's business. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Very well said.

Why wait until after today’s game to sack him?

Should have been done after last week or even the Chelsea defeat.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Webber go next, after all he has hinted he won’t be here too much longer.

Who next? Probably the cheapest option.

Let’s just hope that after relegation this season, the manager for next season can do a ‘Daniel’ and get us promoted. If not I really see another long spell in the Championship, sadly.

If I recall correctly, Alex Neil was given his cards not long after a press conference where he clearly had no idea he was getting the elbow. There is never a good time to sack someone I suppose, but this does seem a bit odd and takes the glow off a glorious evening. DF deserves our thanks & respect and we need to acknowledge his tenure here and give him some sort of a send-off. Any ideas?

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

You can't say it's the justifiable decision and then criticise the club for doing it at the time which will cause the least disruption. Two weeks off now to get the new man in. That's not "clumsy", "cowardly", "disrespectful" - it's business. 

Give it a rest. They were hoping for a loss today to take the heat of the fact that "the model" will never let us progress as a club, and that actually the real problem may lie with the fact our ownership simply don't have the wealth to take this club to the next level.

We've sacked a guy who performed incredibly at Championship level, to disguise from the fact we will never be able to get above that level without a significant change at shareholding and board level.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ian said:

I really don't think the timing is disrespectful or treating anyone poorly, it is just when the decision made the most logical sense. It seems unfair because we won today but the result was irrelevant. It is purely a calendar thing, they now have two weeks to devote to getting the recruitment correct. Had they made the decision after Leeds, we'd have gone into the match today with a caretaker in charge and the squad unsettled. Maintaining stability and allowing Farke to take charge of this game was, in my eyes, less of a risk than sending the team into the game with nobody at the helm. It paid off, we won. 

I certainly don't think that anyone was "hoping for a loss"; it was just down to the format of the season and when the international break was. Had it come after the Leeds game, I think they'd have acted immediately. 

And you're right about Farke, lots of things that we'll never forget. 

Just now, paddycanary said:

If I recall correctly, Alex Neil was given his cards not long after a press conference where he clearly had no idea he was getting the elbow. There is never a good time to sack someone I suppose, but this does seem a bit odd and takes the glow off a glorious evening. DF deserves our thanks & respect and we need to acknowledge his tenure here and give him some sort of a send-off. Any ideas?

If I lived closer I'd stand outside his house & applaud all night. 

Is he on any sort of social media? Can't find a (genuine) twitter account. I'm definitely going to follow his career.

I know, why don't we all WRITE!! Send letters, c/o NCFC.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Give it a rest. They were hoping for a loss today to take the heat of the fact that "the model" will never let us progress as a club, and that actually the real problem may lie with the fact our ownership simply don't have the wealth to take this club to the next level.

We've sacked a guy who performed incredibly at Championship level, to disguise from the fact we will never be able to get above that level without a significant change at shareholding and board level.

No one was hoping for a loss today. That's utterly absurd. 

The decision was made probably after Leeds. The timing was just to get us to a break.

It's not difficult. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm afraid you're being very naive. This is how football works. 

Yes, Premiership football works by attracting investment; normally of the wealthy foreign kind. Apparently though, that isn't how football works for Norwich, apparently we are better than that and our model takes us away from all that cynical wealth related nonsense and back into the hands of the fans. So we can feel connected with our club - football for the people!

Except when it comes down to it, they clearly don't practice what they preach, and behave exactly the same way as every other club owners do when it looks like they might have to actually take some responsibility for the club plateauing.

This season was the perfect time to really try and attract fresh investment, on favourable terms and with a fantastic backbone. You have to ask why that wasn't actually sought, and we're now back in the endless cycle of pretending that the manager is at fault for our woes. In reality, we sold our best player and absolutely did not back him in any of the areas that might have cost a few quid.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

I thought it strange and even my wife commented on how miserable the whole board looked when we were 2-0 up. We now know why, don’t we

Edited by Virtual reality

22 minutes ago, Ian said:

100 percent correct

22 minutes ago, Ian said:

No.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I really don't think the timing is disrespectful or treating anyone poorly, it is just when the decision made the most logical sense. It seems unfair because we won today but the result was irrelevant. It is purely a calendar thing, they now have two weeks to devote to getting the recruitment correct. Had they made the decision after Leeds, we'd have gone into the match today with a caretaker in charge and the squad unsettled. Maintaining stability and allowing Farke to take charge of this game was, in my eyes, less of a risk than sending the team into the game with nobody at the helm. It paid off, we won. 

I certainly don't think that anyone was "hoping for a loss"; it was just down to the format of the season and when the international break was. Had it come after the Leeds game, I think they'd have acted immediately. 

I respect you as a poster Duncan, but I have genuinely no idea why people try and tie themselves in intellectual knots, and how anyone can justify what was clearly a cynical ploy to deflect heat away from those in charge. This was not handled logically, well, or with any sort of decorum. If Farke was no longer the man to leave the club, he should have been removed at the earliest opportunity. He should not have been backed with a 4 year deal and then hung out to dry a few short months later. He should not have been left in charge if his performance made no difference at all to his employment status.

In reality, a caretaker who came in and turned things around would fully justify the decision to get rid. The result today was down to Krul, Normann, and a bit of luck that we hadn't had all season. This is going to hit like an absolute hammer blow through a squad of players who clearly were still fighting for him, and could actually undermine any confidence that was built up by the players in a gutsy win today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No.

What an incredibly well handled, and robust response Delia.

Let me guess - football is a business? It's not about emotion, it's about timing and doing the best for the club. Apart from when it comes to foreign investment - then it's about loyalty and emotion right?

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

No one was hoping for a loss today. That's utterly absurd. 

The decision was made probably after Leeds. The timing was just to get us to a break.

It's not difficult. 

I would suspect the decision was made after Chelsea, much like with the Colchester game all those years ago. The Leeds game may have solidified the decision, with the announcement being timed to cause as little disruption as possible.

Hopefully the last two weeks have been spent speaking with the next potential manager and they will be in place sooner than later.

1 minute ago, Jersey Canary said:

Thank you Daniel Farke for 4 amazing years. 

Indeed. As to the rest, posters cannot have it both ways. They wanted Farke gone, and he has been sacked, and at an obviously sensible time, just before an international break. Posters also complain that Smith and Jones are not ruthless enough, and now they object to them being ruthless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have just gone back to doing what everyone elsr does as soon as they hit a bad patch. I thought wr had moved beyond this pointless knee jerk reaction. I was wrong.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I think we need to check and see if hell has frozen over, because I agree with everything you have said here. 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indeed. As to the rest, posters cannot have it both ways. They wanted Farke gone, and he has been sacked, and at an obviously sensible time, just before an international break. Posters also complain that Smith and Jones are not ruthless enough, and now they object to them being ruthless.

This 👍

We were a laughing stock with the results and performances up to now, and now we are despised by football fans in general for the timing of the sacking.

The affection which many neutral football fans hold for Norwich City FC has been blown up in smoke.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

The worst thing is that it gives a sense of self justification for all those that wanted him gone. The manner of it and timing has also given ammuntion to those that want the owners and/or Webber to go. Even worse it has maybe turned people like me, staunch club supporters and believers in the way they do things into thinking I might have been wrong about them. 

Should have been an excellent day for the club, but they really have got this totally wrong, imo.

• Like 1

The timing is absurd, it could have been done on Monday morning or even tomorrow morning! He deserves that much respect by the owners & Webber!

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I didn't want Farke gone, I absolutely think Smith and Jones are ruthless when it suits them and might impact on their God-like status and holier-than-thou facade, and I would think an amateur would be able to handle this decision in a way that didn't make them look like absolute idiots. The fact that golden boy Webber and the board have engineered this from something most fans would have accepted, to something that will backfire on them intensely, rather makes me doubt their ability to take this club to the next level.

Perhaps rather than merging everybody's individual opinions into a strawman you want to argue with (or, let's be topical, burn on a bonfire) you might accept it seems we are being run by a board that doesn't have much idea what they're doing and has been reliant on harvesting the talent that they've rather fortunately been able to stumble across. And/or address any of the points in my post rather than respond with a rather arrogant single word statement.

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Haha. All that needed to be said.

I'm happy for you or Purple to rebut my post. The fact you're both embarrassingly trying to play the man rather than the ball makes me think it's not as easy as you both like to make out.

I'm all ears Robert. Please enlighten me?

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I respect you as a poster Duncan, but I have genuinely no idea why people try and tie themselves in intellectual knots, and how anyone can justify what was clearly a cynical ploy to deflect heat away from those in charge. This was not handled logically, well, or with any sort of decorum. If Farke was no longer the man to leave the club, he should have been removed at the earliest opportunity. He should not have been backed with a 4 year deal and then hung out to dry a few short months later. He should not have been left in charge if his performance made no difference at all to his employment status.

In reality, a caretaker who came in and turned things around would fully justify the decision to get rid. The result today was down to Krul, Normann, and a bit of luck that we hadn't had all season. This is going to hit like an absolute hammer blow through a squad of players who clearly were still fighting for him, and could actually undermine any confidence that was built up by the players in a gutsy win today.

I guess we just see it differently.

As I said, and admittedly this is very much "after the event" thinking. I think it is likely that the discussion was had post-Leeds, and that the decision was made that they'd look to make the change. Recruiting when there's a break in fixtures makes sense, there are no games to worry about and the focus can be 100% on what is a huge task. Make no mistake, firing Farke was the easy bit, finding a superior replacement is NOT going to be as simple as some appear to consider. It really isn't a case of "...couldn't do any worse". So, to that end, I guess the decision came down to whether they thought that we had a better chance of winning today with or without Farke? 

I agree that it does seem strange after a win but it seems clear that it wasn't a snap decision made today, this was planned. I really liked Farke, he's achieved some great things and brought us some fabulous football. This decision won't deflect away from those that make the decisions though, it will bring them firmly into focus. If they get the next bit wrong and the next guy doesn't improve us and we do go down, we've probably just sacked the guy with the best chance of getting us promoted again and spunked £x up the wall to do so. 

Whether it will knock the players or whether a fresh approach and new pair of eyes will refresh and motivate and give additional impetus remains to be seen. It will certainly be interesting to see if anything bubbles to the surface around Todd, for instance. 

Anyway, it's been a strange old day. 👍

• Like 2