Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Why is McLean undroppable?

He is actually a good player. I watched hom particularly last week and he was nearly always in the right place at the right time. One noticeable mistake, which he got away with, but a lot of covering and postional work he does very well. Disciplined player and on his best game, is very good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Normann aside all of our CM's are dreadful. Sorenson won't get a look in for whatever reason. That leaves us with Lees-Melou who is basically the same player as McLean, Rupp who is too weak and poor at carrying the ball to be a CM and Gilmour is too small to play in this league for a side who won't dominate possession and territory. 

I honestly think Cantwell would make a better CM than PLM, McLean, Rupp and Gilmour. He's no weaker defensively than any of those lot and can at least pass and carry the ball. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

He is actually a good player. I watched hom particularly last week and he was nearly always in the right place at the right time. One noticeable mistake, which he got away with, but a lot of covering and postional work he does very well. Disciplined player and on his best game, is very good.

Mate…

I thought he would have been replaced this game. I think the fact none of our midfielders are half decent in the air whereas he is, tends to get him more game time than perhaps he should.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Oh boy here we go

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Normann aside all of our CM's are dreadful. Sorenson won't get a look in for whatever reason. That leaves us with Lees-Melou who is basically the same player as McLean, Rupp who is too weak and poor at carrying the ball to be a CM and Gilmour is too small to play in this league for a side who won't dominate possession and territory. 

I honestly think Cantwell would make a better CM than PLM, McLean, Rupp and Gilmour. He's no weaker defensively than any of those lot and can at least pass and carry the ball. 

McLean is a perfectly good squad player for a lower Premier League side but I must admit I can't see how he is starting as often as he is.

If he was our replacement for PLM (who I happen to think is a way better player) then I wouldn't be concerned but thats not how Farke sees him.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Oh boy here we go

LDC won’t get me to bite/ he’s always off in happy la la land. Meanwhile in the real world…back to the discussion at hand

I dont get it. I know Farke thinks he is one of the best headers in the team, but it's not like you see much evidence of that.

At least when Rupp was causing furrowed brows Farke explained it by saying he was the best performer in training. Im not sure what Kenny offers other than he is left footed.

Honestly of all the games this season I've seen nothing that puts him ahead of anyone else.

Perhaps managers perception of players is polluted by what they see in training. What a player does in training is irellevant, only what he does on the pitch in actual games. Perhaps players like Rupp, McLean and Idah are amazing in training, and Farke either forgets that this tends not to show up in their on-pitch performances, or that he hopes one day it will.

Perhaps the players he repeatedly ignores dont show it in training and this is why he doesnt give them the chance on the pitch.

Us fans dont see the training, only the output in games. But ultimately that is all that matters. Our knowledge of how the players perform is more relevent if you will, but perhaps training and also personal relationships blinker a manager to that. I said on another thread, I think we the fans would all pick pretty similar teams. The fact the manager diverts from the hive mind is interesting. If he wins, he shows us the fans that we know nothing from our armchairs. When he is failing repeatedly, it is harder and harder to evidence the argument that he knows best.

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I was wrong about you on the other thread. You're not Boxer. You're either Stevie f*ckng Wonder or that dog from the burning house meme

7 minutes ago, 1902 said:

McLean is a perfectly good squad player for a lower Premier League side but I must admit I can't see how he is starting as often as he is.

If he was our replacement for PLM (who I happen to think is a way better player) then I wouldn't be concerned but thats not how Farke sees him.

Why? What does he do that is at all above Championship level?

If we want to be a Premier League team we cant persist with championship players. Too many are proving themselves to be exactly that

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

If we want to be a Premier League team we cant persist with championship players. Too many are proving themselves to be exactly that

I think he is the perfect example of a mid championship standard player - yet treated as if he is a talisman, which he isn’t. Meanwhile better players like Toddy- proven to set games alight - can’t get a look in. I do wonder if this team is more a representation of who hasn’t fallen out with Farke than anything else 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I think he is the perfect example of a mid championship standard player - yet treated as if he is a talisman, which he isn’t. Meanwhile better players like Toddy- proven to set games alight - can’t get a look in. I do wonder if this team is more a representation of who hasn’t fallen out with Farke than anything else 

He isn't mid championship, he was a set above most of that league, he is in the space above the championship and below the premier league. I.e, squad player who comes in when your first choice is out.

That's basically the lot of a promoted team, your second XI will never be filled with premier league quality. The main concern is that the first XI also don't look up to it.

Nobody on here thinks McLean is a talisman, not many of us want him in above Cantwell. I just don't think he is a terrible footballer.

12 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

See above.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

LDC won’t get me to bite/ he’s always off in happy la la land. Meanwhile in the real world…back to the discussion at hand

And that’s the issue when someone issues you with clear facts you sweep it under the carpet because you want to hear your truth