Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Cantwell playing for the Under 23's again tonight

13 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Still better than quite a few of our starting 11

Better but gets shut out even more easily than, say, Kenny.

26 minutes ago, NWC said:

Like in 19/20??  Get a grip mate - we need him playing now!!

When I've seen him play this year he looks uninterested. Perhaps he's getting fed up with being kicked from pillar to post? I dunno. But he really hasn't looked up for it.

12 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

When I've seen him play this year he looks uninterested. Perhaps he's getting fed up with being kicked from pillar to post? I dunno. But he really hasn't looked up for it.

He can move a ball on the pitch, something our midfield cannot do

26 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Some good news. I’m hearing on the grapevine Kenny M keeps his place tomorrow, we’re going for it. 

Oh thank goodness, I was hoping we only had ten men on the pitch

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

You're talking about the first 3 games when he made more tackles than anyone in the Prem. 

Personally I think he (super Todd) is a bit toxic but.......his creativity is certainly missing from the first team. DF needs to stop being so bloody minded and play him. Wins is what we need, if he helps bring them, stuff everything else. See vrancic, leitner, olivera etc......harmony is brilliant if you can afford it. We can't at the moment

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

He can move a ball on the pitch, something our midfield cannot do

Unfortunately PL opposition doesn't allow him that freedom, unlike at U23 level. And, as I said, he didn't impose himself even at that level.

If he can inject urgency & the desire to fight for the ball back into his game, then great, he's a shoe-in. That's not what he's demonstrating at the moment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

You're talking about the first 3 games when he made more tackles than anyone in the Prem. 

Really? Have you got a source please?

Sexy Bennett is reporting he no longer has a birth in the first team dressing room

he is gone in January 🎉🎉🎉🎉

7 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Unfortunately PL opposition doesn't allow him that freedom, unlike at U23 level. And, as I said, he didn't impose himself even at that level.

If he can inject urgency & the desire to fight for the ball back into his game, then great, he's a shoe-in. That's not what he's demonstrating at the moment.

Thanks for stating the obvious there.

it’s clear to see where you stand on the Todd Cantwell debate and don’t worry, the urgency and desire will be flowing through our midfield today, like the rest of this season.

8 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Just get rid of Cantwell. He's clearly causing toxicity within the club. 

A friend of mine who doesn't support Norwich said, "wtf is his problem, it must be everyone's dream to play in the Premier League for their home town club" - clearly he doesn't want to play for us, so cut our losses and tell him to f**k off.

With all due respect we have no real idea what the personal issues are. They could be mental health, the death of a close family member etc. I doubt anyone would easily give up playing in the PL unless they really needed to, it's neither good for player or club. I know for sure if I was affected personally by an issue such as a close family death I wouldn't be able to perform at my best in the immediate aftermath. Give the lad some time, he's clearly working hard to make a comeback but he needs to put in the work, play with the U23s and get back to fitness just like any other player after being out for a while

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

A friend of mine who doesn't support Norwich said, "wtf is his problem, it must be everyone's dream to play in the Premier League for their home town club" - clearly he doesn't want to play for us, so cut our losses and tell him to f**k off.

Managing people is a tough job. People are complex and different and need handling in different ways. The idea is to get the best out each person. Telling a multi million pound asset to f**k off would be ridiculous. 

• Like 4

Playing your most creative player when he's clearly not fit would almost be the last roll of the dice for most managers given the position City are in so I see Farke's insistence that he has to be 100% ready before he'll be considered as a sign that his job is secure for now.  

5 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Sexy Bennett is reporting he no longer has a birth in the first team dressing room

he is gone in January 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Not unless Farke goes first.

It seems as though his relationship with Farke has broken down, not necessarily NCFC.

I'm sure all will become clear in time.

Right now we need him on the pitch.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

With all due respect we have no real idea what the personal issues are. They could be mental health, the death of a close family member etc. I doubt anyone would easily give up playing in the PL unless they really needed to, it's neither good for player or club. I know for sure if I was affected personally by an issue such as a close family death I wouldn't be able to perform at my best in the immediate aftermath. Give the lad some time, he's clearly working hard to make a comeback but he needs to put in the work, play with the U23s and get back to fitness just like any other player after being out for a while

So with DF history of freezing players out and the rumours of a changing room bust up, you still think it's a family or mental issue?  Todd showed last night how he loves his football here, so I doubt very much that it's anything but DF decision not to play him. 

As for people suggesting he goes on a free, well that's just stupid. Todd needs to play too help us win games and to show other teams he had a good price on his head. Without playing we will get peanuts which is extremely bad business. 

For all the doubters out there, please tell me who else in the team do we have to work with teemu? Exactly. No one. Only Todd  Cantwell.

Cantwell is toxic? According to whom? There are ways to handle any unruly disruptive member of staff if you have man management skills. It does not automatically involve getting rid of that member of staff, especially if he is talented. Perhaps there is more to the Farke / Cantwell saga than to which we are privy? It seems to me that Farke does have favourites , Hanley and Rupp for example and others to whom he shows distain like Sorensen and Cantwell ( just my uninformed opinion).

Edited by kenfoggo

Todd even at 95 % fit  on the bench for the  last 15 mins might unlock a tight  0-0 

A under pressure Manager would try anything for a win 

Farke is acting a bit like he thinks he is un sackable 

5 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Todd even at 95 % fit  on the bench for the  last 15 mins might unlock a tight  0-0 

Or alternatively he knows that if he lets Todd ‘get away’ with whatever he is doing he will lose the respect of all the other players and the management team.

just an alternative view

I think Todd is a great player and desperately want him back in the team, the most annoying thing for me is all the smokes and mirrors and why the club haven’t clearly stated what is happening.

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Or alternatively he knows that if he lets Todd ‘get away’ with whatever he is doing he will lose the respect of all the other players and the management team.

just an alternative view

I think Todd is a great player and desperately want him back in the team, the most annoying thing for me is all the smokes and mirrors and why the club haven’t clearly stated what is happening.

Todd has been on social media to say he is fit and lucky nothing to do with mental health 

so like you say if he is being a idiot then i understand farke  dropping him 

but i think if he missed a couple of training sessions to say visit  the hospital to see family member that should not mean his misses important Games 

must be more to it was it Liverpool Keeper  Allison returned to the team a day or two after the death of his father because Klopp asked if he was ok and knew he was best for the team 

12 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

He missed a couple of weeks with personal matters that have been said to be related to his family. Sometimes there are bigger things to life than football. Since then he's struggled a bit with focus. We don't know what is going on, speculation is incredibly daft and just highlights even more the disparity between fans and the players.

Buendia certainly threw his toys out of the pram and yet people still say we should have made him stay etc etc etc. Cantwell has genuine reasons and people say "just get rid". Sickening really.

• Like 1

I watched pretty much the full 90mins of the U23's last night.

On the Cantwell watch side of things, very good whilst on the ball, lots of neat touches, lots of very good skills that drew fouls and at times took the ball another 15-20 yards up the pitch dribbling around players etc. I would say though, that I have seen him play better, and at times he was a little non-committal in the middle of the park. Sometimes though this was perhaps not bad as opposing players were moving away from our goal and it can be better just to let them. Other times I felt he was a little reserved, perhaps holding back. Overall a neat and tidy performance, 90mins in the tank. I would expect him to standout more though if he was 100% on it. At times he was really making the opposition look like kids - which he should.

The rest of the side were good. Playing a 4-3-3 formation. Bashiri looks a good physical presence and certainly not to slow either. At times he is a little precarious with his passing but I suspect they have been encouraged to knock it about at the back - which is fine for the U23's but I suspect would get seized upon in the PL. I thought Rowe, Dickson-Peters and Kamara were all very good going forward, plenty of endeavour and positivity. A nice mix of pace and physicality too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chicken said:

He missed a couple of weeks with personal matters that have been said to be related to his family. Sometimes there are bigger things to life than football. Since then he's struggled a bit with focus. We don't know what is going on, speculation is incredibly daft and just highlights even more the disparity between fans and the players.

Buendia certainly threw his toys out of the pram and yet people still say we should have made him stay etc etc etc. Cantwell has genuine reasons and people say "just get rid". Sickening really.

Maybe there wouldn't be disparity between the fans and players/club if the club were just honest?

His mental health issues clearly aren't effecting his ability to play for the U23s, and he didn't exactly bust a gut to try and get into the manager's thinking.

This is what annoys me, all the bullsh*tting from player and club - first personal issues, then an injury, now "not showing enough in training" - the fans aren't mugs and it is clear we aren't being given the full picture. The lad clearly doesn't want to play for us any longer.

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

Maybe there wouldn't be disparity between the fans and players/club if the club were just honest?

His mental health issues clearly aren't effecting his ability to play for the U23s, and he didn't exactly bust a gut to try and get into the manager's thinking.

This is what annoys me, all the bullsh*tting from player and club - first personal issues, then an injury, now "not showing enough in training" - the fans aren't mugs and it is clear we aren't being given the full picture. The lad clearly doesn't want to play for us any longer.

No. Everyone has a right to privacy especially if it is in relation to their family. I certainly wouldn't tell any of the people I work with if one of our team has a personal family problem they are dealing with whether that be break up, bereavement, illness etc. Why would we put that expectation on a professional in another line of work.

And in fairness, they have been honest. We were told he wasn't available due to personal reasons. Note that this is very different to the "lack of focus" statement from the start of last season. Nor has Farke questioned his commitment to training, as he did with both Buendia and Cantwell at the start of last season. Then he has had an injury. At the presser last week, for the Leeds game, Farke explained things further, but I think a few folks misread a part of it and blew it out of proportion.

He explained that for several weeks, Cantwell had been unable to train for the entire week for various reasons (the personal reasons, the injuries etc). And then he put's down the age old tried and tested "no player can expect to walk straight back into the team from that position". And this is where people, I believe, have got off on the wrong track here. He's not saying that Cantwell thinks he can walk back into the team, he's saying that all players know that, and that managers know that. He backs this up by talking about Dowell who has been training every day and working hard and that he currently has that spot as he believes they are similar players.

So unless we are told otherwise, I think Farke has been as honest as possible. Just as with anything these days, there are always conspiracy theories that have little or no basis. They could end up being right, but I don't think there is a lot of evidence at the moment.

It is worth noting that Cantwell took down the post where he suggested he wasn't struggling with mental health. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

So because you don't understand what is going on, you have made your mind up he doesn't want to play for the club. Is that it?

A statement from one or both parties could quash any rumours, but there's nothing. Feels like a bit of a stand off. Wouldn't be so bad if we had better players to bring in, but we don't.

It's a very, very unhealthy situation for the club and all concerned. It's in danger of causing a permanent rift between Daniel's small group of people and some other very important people within the club, including some players - it can also impact the current player who I consider has the biggest future, as he is with the same agents as Todd. 

God willing we can get get this coming week out of the way, then Todd can return to the first team squad and we can start moving forward again. Their are no winners, and I hope Daniel realises this. He can 'win' but still lose.

Personally, I am not 100% sympathetic to either 'side'. I just want it to be over.

4 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

Cantwell is toxic? According to whom? There are ways to handle any unruly disruptive member of staff if you have man management skills. It does not automatically involve getting rid of that member of staff, especially if he is talented. Perhaps there is more to the Farke / Cantwell saga than to which we are privy? It seems to me that Farke does have favourites , Hanley and Rupp for example and others to whom he shows distain like Sorensen and Cantwell ( just my uninformed opinion).

To be fair, we don’t know the ins and outs so we are all guessing a bit. It does look like Cantwell lacks a level of professionalism. This isn’t the first time he has been caught up in this type of situation. Of course the counter argument is that a coach needs to find a way of managing maverick types, especially if the player adds loads to the team, but it doesn’t look like ge is busting a gut to make a difference. If there is a genuinely some type of mental health issue then the club should be providing him significant support but it just doesn’t seem to be coming across like that. In terms of Farke favourites like Hanley and Rupp, that isn’t a surprise as they appear to be consummate professionals, however he hasn’t been scared not to play them in the past.

I hope I am wrong but it looks to me like Todd needs to exit in January but I feel he may just be in for a shock about the type and level of suitor. 

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

With our board it appears sadly that he is unsackable