Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Todays injury updates- Hanley out 3 weeks, kabak may be out

'Grant is not available and will miss the games for Scotland, out for two to three weeks. Question mark behind Kabak, struggling with glandular fever. Zimmermann is still out, so good to have Gibson back available.'

Well I'm glad we will play 4 at the back, albeit even if it has been rather forced upon Farke. Need to get at Brentford and try to win this game, there can be no more ship steadying under a 5 at the back system!

Cantwell also not available for at least another week 

Just now, yellow_belly said:

And Cantwell not considered for this game. 

Return to a 442?

4-2-3-1 makes sense to me

• Like 1

Might finally see a return to 4-2-3-1 with the defensive problems as he's said they are trying to return to their DNA. 

Also worth noting Brentford are without Ajer which is helpful for us.

Loved this line DF: 'Let's be honest, 2 points from 10 games. Even our bus driver could probably manage that. I know why there is pressure. I don't rely on the past and being the second best manager behind Pep last season.' 😂😂

• Haha 1

Says it all when he thinks the bus driver could have got as many points so far as he has yet there is no one better than him out there according to him and the board.

Farke has the safest job in football without a doubt, irrespective of what happens tomorrow or the rest of the season in fact it appears he’s going nowhere, and if that’s the case then any ridicule heaped on the club will be fully justified sadly as they are oblivious to what’s going on it seems!

I'm not sure leaning back towards the 4231 and playing possession football is the answer either. Have people forgotten 19/20? Lots of nonthreatening short sideways passes just in the oppositions third, constantly running into bricks walls, losing the ball then getting hit on the counter at breakneck speed and more often than not conceding a good chance.... That was also with Tettey and Cantwell, Buendia and a younger Pukki playing as well

It would be nice to see us have more of the ball and not look as hopeless as we do now, but nothing annoys me more in football than watching us dominate the ball and create nothing then the opposition steal it, give it to a fast player who just runs through us like we're not there and scores a cheap, soft easy goal. We'll probably get more points and win more plaudits than we are now but it won't keep us up and we'll leave games hugely frustrated instead of angry which is better sort of...

4 at the back then, unless the lesser spotted Sorensen makes a shock appearance!

Not sure what to think about the Cantwell saga tbh.

Last chance saloon, don't balls this up Farke, otherwise the bus driver will make you walk home.

Farke mentioned that Sargent was down to the narrower 50ft wide goals in training from yesterday, and still maintaining a steady 30% strike rate against McGovern, so some positives still.

• Haha 11

Yeeesssss!  Best news all season so far.  Hanley is out!  Now we will get some real sensible defending rather than headless chicken-ing.  Omo can tie up Toney easily.  As others have said a return to 4-2-3-1 with Sorenson alongside Normann. Go Farke.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Yeeesssss!  Best news all season so far.  Hanley is out!  Now we will get some real sensible defending rather than headless chicken-ing.  Omo can tie up Toney easily.  As others have said a return to 4-2-3-1 with Sorenson alongside Normann. Go Farke.

Hanley has been no better or worse than Kabak or Gibson. Don't think I'd ever celebrate one of our players being out injured, let alone our club captain who is no doubt important in the dressing room for the whole squad. Maybe you need to take the 'canary' out of your username... 

• Like 1

Hanley is 100% our best defender this season.. we will miss him tomorrow. Rather have him than Gibson up against Tooney all day long.

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

4-2-3-1 makes sense to me

Has to be.

Hope Gibbo eats his Shredded wheat because he has generally been absolute c4ck so far and it doesn't look like we have a choice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Hanley is 100% out best defender this season.. we will miss him tomorrow. Rather have him than Gibson up against Tooney all day long.

I am intrigued to see us without him though- I know he's looked OK but he's also the common denominator in all of our performances this season. Gibson and Omo will be an interesting pairing.

15 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Farke mentioned that Sargent was down to the narrower 50ft wide goals in training from yesterday, and still maintaining a steady 30% strike rate against McGovern, so some positives still.

But what percentage of the 70% he missed actually made it to or past the goal?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Krul 

Aarons Gibson AO Williams

rashica normann gilmour Tzolis

Pukki Idah

let’s go for it. 

Bravo win or die

Maverick.....inverted centre backs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But what percentage of the 70% he missed actually made it to or past the goal?

Farke said that the biggest concern has been head clashes, so they're moving him back 12 yards from the goal line and will monitor further.

5 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Farke said that the biggest concern has been head clashes, so they're moving him back 12 yards from the goal line and will monitor further.

Lots of footballs seen on the A47 near the training  ground. Authorities do not know where they are coming from?!

• Haha 1

It seems Sorensen is good enough to call upon when there's an injury crisis like last year and Farke is desperate, but then he'll be tossed away like an old cigarette butt again when there's no need for him anymore. Not one of the favoured few, I'm afraid. 

Cantwell can't play, apparently, because he has to train for at least two weeks before he becomes eligible on grounds of fitness. Strange that the same rule never seems to apply to McLean after an injury.

Another worry for me is when Farke talks about youngsters who will become good PL players one day: the order he mentions them is Sargent, Tzolis and Idah. I don't think that's the order they would pop into many fans' minds.

Apart from the changes pressed upon him by injuries, more of the same on Saturday almost for certain.  

16 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It seems Sorensen is good enough to call upon when there's an injury crisis like last year and Farke is desperate, but then he'll be tossed away like an old cigarette butt again when there's no need for him anymore. Not one of the favoured few, I'm afraid. 

Cantwell can't play, apparently, because he has to train for at least two weeks before he becomes eligible on grounds of fitness. Strange that the same rule never seems to apply to McLean after an injury.

Another worry for me is when Farke talks about youngsters who will become good PL players one day: the order he mentions them is Sargent, Tzolis and Idah. I don't think that's the order they would pop into many fans' minds.

Apart from the changes pressed upon him by injuries, more of the same on Saturday almost for certain.  

I would wager that Sargent, Tzolis or Idah will NEVER become established PL players.

Sargent and Idah are League One / lower championship (Chris Martin, Simeon Jackson, Korey Smith were all better players).

Tzolis will return to a European league within a year or two. Jurys out due to age and not getting much of a run out. But he looks worse than the Murphy twins at a similar age.

Sorenson is a mystery. Looks ok but rarely played.

Cantwell needs a few weeks training before he can be considered for further training. Running clock down to January, me thinks!

Where is Rupp?I thought he was the first name to be picked by the players haha 😂 

Edited by yellow_belly

18 minutes ago, AJ said:

Hanley has been no better or worse than Kabak or Gibson. Don't think I'd ever celebrate one of our players being out injured, let alone our club captain who is no doubt important in the dressing room for the whole squad. Maybe you need to take the 'canary' out of your username... 

I'll bite as I have my opinion as much as any other Norwich fan.  My cheering is not essentially against Hanley but because at long last we have the chance to see Norwich using a more stable formation (in my opinion). I've long been championing 4-2-3-1 without Hanley. 

Granted (no pun intended) Hanley is not my first choice for a 4-2-3-1, as in my view he regularly makes poor or no decisions in defence, leading to his "heroic" recoveries and last ditch tackles / clearances.  We wouldn't need for him to "rescue" us if he was up to the role.  Why else has Farke been pursuing a three man defence if not to cover up for defence frailties in a back four.   However the three man defence has blunted our attacking push totally and reverting to long balls is just a waste of time with Pukki and Sargent. 

It is my belief that the 4-2-3-1, with Omo more than capable of being one of the two and Sorenson alongside Normann in the double pivot, will allow our attacking game to be found again.  Of course the proof will be if this is what is pursued on Saturday; I'm already having my doubts as Farke did mention Sorenson as a Centre back, which can only mean a three centre back approach (oh woe).  

So @AJ let's hear your solution.  Is a 4-2-3-1 not to your linking?