Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Honest.

It was nice to read this from Andy Hughes:

And nor was Hughes about to point fingers at the supporters for the individual abuse he received in the Seagulls'' clash. Again his own, eye-catching efforts on Saturday - in particular setting up the move that led to Jonatan Johansson''s opener - may have helped improve relations.

“It was nice to be out there on Saturday because I didn''t play the best the previous game and I haven''t been at the standard I''ve wanted to be this season,” said Hughes, whose combative qualities might come in distinctly handy against his Palace namesake Michael this weekend. Whether he makes it or not is the biggest injury worry facing City boss Nigel Worthington

A good honest comment and he has the good grace to forgive those of you who continue to snipe at him.

he received good praise from many after his 30 mins against derby.  as he admits, performances have not been what he would have liked, and if he played to the derby level week in, week out - he would be looked upon more favourably - fact of life squit

[quote user="A load of squit"]

It was nice to read this from Andy Hughes:

And nor was Hughes about to point fingers at the supporters for the individual abuse he received in the Seagulls'' clash. Again his own, eye-catching efforts on Saturday - in particular setting up the move that led to Jonatan Johansson''s opener - may have helped improve relations.

“It was nice to be out there on Saturday because I didn''t play the best the previous game and I haven''t been at the standard I''ve wanted to be this season,” said Hughes, whose combative qualities might come in distinctly handy against his Palace namesake Michael this weekend. Whether he makes it or not is the biggest injury worry facing City boss Nigel Worthington

A good honest comment and he has the good grace to forgive those of you who continue to snipe at him.

[/quote]

My biggest problem is that worthy seems to think he is good enough to be in the first XI when everybody is fit??  as a squad member I am sure he is more than useful... just an expensive one...

But this is the guy whom picked Holt over Safri, so its hardly a surprise really...

Its been said on here before. But Hughes started 42 of forty six games last season under steve coppell They can''t both be wrong can they?

Hughes is undoubtedly a great team player who gives his all and doesn''t take his staus as a professional footballer for granted. He loves the club and the fans and for that he deserves respect. I don''t believe he has enough talent to be in our team but I don''t think he deserved all the booing that was aimed at him. I think he ended up being the scapegoat for the fans frustrations at the teams poor performances in general!

Hughes can say what he wants, but he''s still awful. There seems to be a determined effort by Carrow Road to make him popular - Worthington''s request not to boo him, Hughes reported ''teddy out of pram'' moment with a journo who criticized him, now this.

Andy - "listen very carefully, I will say this only once". In my opinion you can''t pass, you can''t shoot, you can''t tackle and you hide in games - you''re a waste of 1/2 million that could   have been spent on a good player.

WORTHY OUT.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

Hughes can say what he wants, but he''s still awful. There seems to be a determined effort by Carrow Road to make him popular - Worthington''s request not to boo him, Hughes reported ''teddy out of pram'' moment with a journo who criticized him, now this.

Andy - "listen very carefully, I will say this only once". In my opinion you can''t pass, you can''t shoot, you can''t tackle and you hide in games - you''re a waste of 1/2 million that could   have been spent on a good player.

WORTHY OUT.

[/quote]

50% right Link - he can pass, and he doesn''t hide. Don''t just ignore the pass to set up the move for Johansson''s goal, and there have been others. I think if you analyze the successful passes from all our midfield players, Hooze will be at the top. You have to disregard the pointless uncontested lateral passes on the halfway line though, because he doesn''t do that.

can some of you please learn from history!!

if you are one of the posters that slagged off the doc ,please learn from your mistake,i think he was one of the worst players we had ever signed over the summer

saf he was slatted for long parts of his first year.....wrong

iwan was written off in his first year by many.....wrong

learn from history good players can take time to settle in there new surroundings,and constant sledgeing is not going to make it any easier

hooz tries his bollox off and with a little confidence i am sure we have not seen any where near his best,dont write these players off too early they might make you look bigger idiots than you sound some times!!

[quote user="Tadley Yellow"]Its been said on here before. But Hughes started 42 of forty six games last season under steve coppell They can''t both be wrong can they?[/quote]

So What???  it doesnt make him any good...  He was part of a reading team that finished OUTSIDE the play-offs.  IE that werent good enough.  They are now doing far better without him.

And to be honest, he was a target for the boo boys at reading because they thought he was crap......  Do you even go to the matches?? I have been to almost all the home games and the only good thing about him is his endless running, our midfield looks far stronger with him not in the side.  And for £500,000!!!  MONEY WE WILL NEVER SEE AGAIN....

[quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

WORTHY OUT.

[/quote]

50% right Link - he can pass, and he doesn''t hide. Don''t just ignore the pass to set up the move for Johansson''s goal, and there have been others. I think if you analyze the successful passes from all our midfield players, Hooze will be at the top. You have to disregard the pointless uncontested lateral passes on the halfway line though, because he doesn''t do that.

[/quote] And what about the goal he scored against Luton - nearly burst the back of the net - looked like he could shoot to me.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

WORTHY OUT.

[/quote] I certainly don''t agree that he hides in games. It''s the fact that he is prominent that makes him the target for supporters frustrations because it is obvious when he makes a mistake.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Again...the best right back at the Club.[/quote]

Right backs have to tackle... not lunge for the ball and end up on their backside as the attacker goes past them easily

jas :)

[quote user="rieg77"][quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

WORTHY OUT.

[/quote]

[/quote] And what about the goal he scored against Luton - nearly burst the back of the net - looked like he could shoot to me.[/quote] yep 1 goal.... wow!!! i must of missed that great part of his game....

Hughes is clearly the latest in a long line of whipping boys, á la Fleming, Doherty, Holt to name but three. Yes the guy hasn''t been at his best, but he has shown brief glimpses of quality (which I''m sure I''ll be slated for, they were flukes after all ;-)). I didn''t see Huckerby or Ashton receiving the same level of abuse for their distinctly below-par performances at the beginning of the season...Frankly, I''m not one to judge a player on just over half a season, particularly this half of a season - even the créme de la créme of players have dips in form. However, for all the rest of you who need a target at which to aim your vitriol when you can''t aim it at the manager for whatever reason (i.e. we won), then by all means carry on...

This is following the same old pattern of the Great Henderson Debate, and the Llewellyn Debate before him, and probably countless others.

The truth is, as always, somewhere in the middle.

He''s not a wonderful player and there are better out there. However, he is definitely good enough to play for a championship side and is obviously not the worst player ever to wear the Yellow shirt.

He will have some good games, some bad games. Some people will like him, most will hate him and blame him for everything, groan when he loses the ball, then come on here and call for his immediate assasination.

Now, can we just put this one to bed?

We all know he''s likely to play as long as NW is here, so we may as well put up with it, shut up and try to "enjoy" the game... This is a witch-hunt which makes the Fleming, Holt and Worthington witch-hunts look positively tame.

[quote user="chipster"]

can some of you please learn from history!!

if you are one of the posters that slagged off the doc ,please learn

from your mistake,i think he was one of the worst players we had ever

signed over the summer

saf he was slatted for long parts of his first year.....wrong

iwan was written off in his first year by many.....wrong

learn from history good players can take time to settle in there new

surroundings,and constant sledgeing is not going to make it any easier

hooz tries his bollox off and with a little confidence i am sure we

have not seen any where near his best,dont write these players off too

early they might make you look bigger idiots than you sound some times!!

[/quote]

Yes I was one of the ones that slagged off Doc and nothing I have seen

since has changed my mind.Fact is we play too deep cus he is so

slow.The reason he looks good is cus we play to his strengths and not

how a defence should play.If theres a race for the ball over 10 yds and

he has a 3yd head start he normally just slides in and makes some sort

of challenge.His idea of defending is to grab someone with both arms

around them and give free kicks away needlesley.Sorry I know a lot of

people like him but I feel he is a weak link.We would be better off

with Rehman and Shacks.

I personaly cant remember Saf being slagged off the only thing I can remember is 23,000 asking for him to replace Gary Holt.

But I do have to agree Hughes could be a good player and right back

could well be his position.Have we anyone better to play there ???

The reason so many fans find it difficult to take a liking to Hughes is that he epitomises the type of player Worthington likes to have in the team. All reports of Hughes before we signed him suggested that he gave 100% and could play in a number of positions yet he lacked in any real footballing quality. This is exactly what he has demonstrated since he has been here. Signing him as a squad player would have been forgivable but was this Worthington''s intention? Could we really afford to spend £500,000 on squad players when the first team needed addressing?