Van wink

Iwan hits the net

"I look at Leeds' second goal on Sunday and is it Daniel’s fault that you’ve a central defender trying to be Lionel Messi 10 yards from his own penalty box which leads to their winner?"

Did he even watch the match?  Kabak was continually doing it from the minute he had the ball at his feet in the first half, so of course it should've been stamped out.    That example perfectly highlights our naivety.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

"I look at Leeds' second goal on Sunday and is it Daniel’s fault that you’ve a central defender trying to be Lionel Messi 10 yards from his own penalty box which leads to their winner?"

Did he even watch the match?  Kabak was continually doing it from the minute he had the ball at his feet in the first half, so of course it should've been stamped out.    That example perfectly highlights our naivety.

This is where the lack of a proper captain on the pitch fails us. A Roy Keane type would have made it clear to Kabak that running aimlessly with the ball with no real idea of where you are going or what you are going to do with it is'nt going to end well.Hanley is not a captain.Said a few weeks ago,the only player in this team who looks like he hates losing and has any resemblance of fight in him is Normann. Should be our captain.

10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I feel like Kabak is the easy scapegoat for this goal too. Yes it was a poor touch but his driving runs from defence create opportunities, ala Maguire with England. Generally in a back 3 you want someone who can step out with the ball. Sure he cocked it up on this occasion but it also isn't like there weren't other defenders who could have reacted quicker to ball or a goalkeeper who should make that save 10 times out of 10.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I feel like Kabak is the easy scapegoat for this goal too. Yes it was a poor touch but his driving runs from defence create opportunities, ala Maguire with England. Generally in a back 3 you want someone who can step out with the ball. Sure he cocked it up on this occasion but it also isn't like there weren't other defenders who could have reacted quicker to ball or a goalkeeper who should make that save 10 times out of 10.

This!

We spent the whole game lumping it forward to Sargent and giving possesion away over and over. The only time we got forward with the ball was when Kabak brought it out of defense. He needs to keep doing it in my opinion, just be a bit more sellective on when the time is right.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, king canary said:

You are punished for mistakes in this league and it was a mistake. Misjudged the time and place to do that kind of trick, when there were better options available to him. No time for defenders to cover once he had moved forwards and left a gap. Poor mistake - I would he will learn from that and if he doesn't, I'm sure Farke will make sure he is a bit more careful next time. Love to see him marauding forwards though - just needs to use better judgement when to do it.

17 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

If the link between defence and midfield is broken, (Skipp not being replaced) and a defender needs to run out with the ball to keep possession then it is a tactical issue and it is a Farke problem.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

I feel like Kabak is the easy scapegoat for this goal too

Totally agree, Iwan has incorrectly used him as the scapegoat in that article when the fact that he's having to do this unattested shows the tactical fragilities.

Furthermore he implicates that 3 other players, along with Kabak, as not having premier league interest, which is nonsense when you look at Kabak who played for Liverpool in champs league and Rashica had definitive interest from a number of clubs at this level.

We know what Tzolis is, and to knock him down in defence of the manager is incredibly ignorant of anything outside the eyeline of the prem league.  To agree with this view shows a complete lack of understanding (imo). 

Edited by Google Bot

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Totally agree, Iwan has incorrectly used him as the scapegoat in that article. 

Furthermore he implicates that 3 other players, along with Kabak, as not having premier league interest, which is nonsense when you look at Kabak who played for Liverpool in champs league and Rashica had definitive interest from a number of clubs at this level.

We know what Tzolis is, and to knock him down in defence of the manager is incredibly ignorant of anything outside the eyeline of the prem league.  To agree with this view shows a complete lack of understanding (imo). 

Yeah, it also slightly highlights the wider issue- if other Premier League clubs are really keen on a player then he's highly unlikely to end up at Norwich.

Unless I have missed something, is it possible Kabak was obeying instructions and it was at Farke's behest that he travelled with the ball??

• Like 1

My take from Iwan’s article is that the squad isn’t as good as we hoped it would be, we have not found the sort of quality that we had with Emi, hard to argue against that.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yeah, it also slightly highlights the wider issue- if other Premier League clubs are really keen on a player then he's highly unlikely to end up at Norwich.

Yet a player like Gilmour who would get into top 6 clubs where he on the market, is sat watching from the bench.

Cantwell who would walk into mid-table teams is sat in U23's.

Launching the ball upfield for 90 mins, and making 88 minute subs when chasing a game.

What a ****e article to then point a finger at Kabak - Is it Daniel's fault, Iwan? You tell us.

14 minutes ago, Ray said:

Unless I have missed something, is it possible Kabak was obeying instructions and it was at Farke's behest that he travelled with the ball??

Kabak should still prove to be a shrewd signing and better than Ajer. @hogesar is confident and so am I. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

yet when Kabak makes his run and gets to the opposition penalty area, all the fans were like wow what a great run. We are however short of players who like to run with the ball as a 'different' option from pass and move. Maybe Kabak can play alongside Normann and AO plays in the back 3. 

16 minutes ago, Van wink said:

My take from Iwan’s article is that the squad isn’t as good as we hoped it would be

We haven't had the chance to see what they're capable of, as the new signings and time to gel has been completely compounded with low confidence and grand changes in not only formation, but play style.

I don't know how anyone can give a verdict on the players without them playing a system that fits them/us.   We had a spell of confidence after the goal at the weekend and pissed it up the wall.

It would've been in those minutes that we'd have known more what our players are about... For me, the jury's still out.  I fail to believe that players like Normann, Kabak, Raschica, Pukki, Aarons, Dimi, Cantwell, Omobamidele & Gilmour are not good enough to survive at this level.

That's 9 players, hardly a rag-tag group in themselves.

Edited by Google Bot

18 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It would've been in those minutes that we'd have known more what our players are about... For me, the jury's still out.  I fail to believe that players like Normann, Kabak, Raschica, Pukki, Aarons, Dimi, Cantwell, Omobamidele & Gilmour are not good enough to survive at this level.

That's 9 players, hardly a rag-tag group in themselves.

We have some really good players as you mention above, I don’t think anyone has said that we haven’t. 

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

We have some really good players as you mention above, I don’t think anyone has said that we haven’t. 

??

Pretty much the basis of Iwan's article is the players aren't good enough so you can't blame Farke.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

??

Pretty much the basis of Iwan's article is the players aren't good enough so you can't blame Farke.

The article doesn't say it doesn't think they have the potential to compete at this level; They're inexperienced and in at the deep end in a team they're still getting to knwo. Nothing to say they won't get to the required level as the season progresses, but it's a question of whether it can happen fast enough to survive.

Fingers crossed for a Eureka moment sooner rather than later. 

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Did you read the article?

"I hate myself for saying it as I’ve been a player and hate criticising players, but the ones that where bought are nowhere near ready to play Premier League football"

You think those new players I listed above are "nowhere near ready" to play at this level?  It's such a damning comment to make, and really quite uneducated.

While he says he hates to criticise.  The likes of Kabak & Gilmour have played for Top 6 prem league clubs,  including champions league matches.  Gilmour part of his country's Euros qualification and MotM vs England.  To me, he seems more than willing to criticise(?).

31 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

"I hate myself for saying it as I’ve been a player and hate criticising players, but the ones that where bought are nowhere near ready to play Premier League football"

You think those new players I listed above are "nowhere near ready" to play at this level?  It's such a damning comment to make, and really quite uneducated.

While he says he hates to criticise.  The likes of Kabak & Gilmour have played for Top 6 prem league clubs,  including champions league matches.  Gilmour part of his country's Euros qualification and MotM vs England.  To me, he seems more than willing to criticise(?).

Think individually they all good ish signings, but a collection of nuts and bolts and appear to be signed without looking at how the team as a whole will look. Think this has been quite evident by the consistent changes in the team, the change of tactics and that we still searching for a system and selection that can get the best out of everyone. Our best hope at this stage is it clicks and we manage to go on mini runs of games and scramble to a points total that puts us in the mix with 3 or 4 games to go but the reality its looking like a 'doomed' season, with the covid pre-season the opening 4 games and a team that is losing confidence and getting use to not winning. 

Edited by Baracouda
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I did indeed read the article, I wouldn't have posted it if I hadn't.

Its his opinion, one that I happen to agree with. He says he disagrees with the view that we have a far stronger squad than we had last time round, I think he's right in that.

Was it Farke's fault for playing a defender that wasn't fit for half the game and not having a centre half on the bench? Yes, the manager must take responsibility for the team he picks. Blaming individual players is doing us no good at all. 

By keeping Hanley on, Farke badly let down the fans. It seems that he has his favourites and is quite stubborn. 

He is right, we lost that game on player decisions, not what was a questionable formation or tactics (and I agree that there were some questionable decisions in the way we were set up). Take the Pukki chance early on, he had time to set himself and move the ball into the area, but instead snapped a shot from 20 yards. 

I can't find the actual footage of that section of play now, but I was sure that Kabak had a heavy touch out of a challenge, it's not like he actually dribbled the ball from our area (I could very well be wrong)? By the time he'd caught up with the ball he made it just before a Leeds player and tried to shield it by turning his back but mis-controlled in the turn? My memory may have changed proceedings since Sunday. Yes he could and should have put his foot through it in hindsight but there have been worse mistakes.

Edited by Thumbbass

We were very much in the game, which is a big improvement over several of the previous matches, but we threw away a point (or 3) by silly mistakes you cannot make at PL level. Kabak going walkies highlights that, we'd just fought back to get on level terms, no need to be doing that at that stage of the game, would rather he booted the ball out of the stadium that try to dribble past the entire opposition

27 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

He is right, we lost that game on player decisions, not what was a questionable formation or tactics (and I agree that there were some questionable decisions in the way we were set up). Take the Pukki chance early on, he had time to set himself and move the ball into the area, but instead snapped a shot from 20 yards. 

I can't find the actual footage of that section of play now, but I was sure that Kabak had a heavy touch out of a challenge, it's not like he actually dribbled the ball from our area (I could very well be wrong)? By the time he'd caught up with the ball he made it just before a Leeds player and tried to shield it by turning his back but mis-controlled in the turn? My memory may have changed proceedings since Sunday. Yes he could and should have put his foot through it in hindsight but there have been worse mistakes.

You’re right. I think Kabak is getting more stick than is warranted. The first part he did was superb anticipation and interception but his touch was heavy. The passes they claim he could have made on the TV never looked on in real time and I expect if he had his time back, rather than try the spin he’d have crunched a tackle in. From there though, after the ball is knocked inside nobody gets close to Rodrigo, he has time to take a touch, set himself and get the shot away that Krul then dives over. Yes, the initial mistake was Kabak’s but there were two further mistakes that were at least equally culpable. 

Kabak is a liability, he steps out of defence with little chance of others behind him to cover the move.  In a back three there is more chance of a CB able to fill the gap left.  In a back 4 he needs to be more disciplined.  I presume Klopp curbed his enthusiasm at Liverpool.  Luckily looks to be injured tomorrow but that means Gibson to return another liability.