Sign in to follow this  
non-scoring strikers

Eddie Howe in at Toon

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Thought they looked strange, still a decent point though. 

Any point is a good point atm.

• Haha 1

I have always thought Howe was over-rated.  Sure he did a decent job for a while at Bournemouth, but they always struggled in the PL and eventually went down, not because of Covid, but because, like us, they weren't very good.  Once relegated Howe jumps ship because these days all the media hype around him has boosted his ego so that he thinks he is too good for the Championship.  He turned down Celtic because they were in the 'rubbish' SPL and not the 'marvellous' PL.  He talks the talk but his teams over the past 2-3 seasons have played dour, negative football and IMHO he is most definitely not the 'messiah' some fans would like him to be.  He's not even a 'naughty boy'.  He's a bang average manager and I think Newcastle and he deserve each other.  Of course, all that I have said may be rubbish and he does a great job at Toon. Ho hum.

35 minutes ago, Numan said:

I have always thought Howe was over-rated.

Sadly much of what you've written there is negatively attested to his personal being, and not what he's achieved as a manager.

190 Premier League games, 168 in the championship and he's what, 43?  In comparison to a players progression he's barely a 21 year old,  Let's see what he's doing in 5-10 years.

Would've been a perfect fit for us, as would've kept progression going, not a massive shift in how player relationships are conducted, and provided us with a fresh perspective and belief.  Sadly, I think Newcastle job will be a very bad move for him as he appears to be third choice and Newcy fans already having a moan.

Edited by Google Bot

13 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

Some people on here are completely beyond hope.

Manager takes Bournemouth - that's Bournemouth!! - from administration, a 17-point deduction and 10 points adrift at the bottom of League 2 to the Premier League.

Then he keeps Bournemouth - that's Bournemouth!!!! - there for 4 straight years, before finally going down in a season which Covid wrecked for everyone.

But no no, he's a joke! Can't handle anything north of Watford, don't you know? Newcastle will get relegated with him HEUGH HEUGH HEUGH let's all laugh at them HEUGH HEUGH HEUGH must be so **** to be them HEUGH HEUGH HEUGH

He'll do fine there. He's a tremendous manager. Meanwhile, we have 2 points from 20 PL games, and cannot stay in this division for love nor money.

Eddie Howe is a quality manager and probably the only one that I thought might actually do a good job at Norwich. . Completely agree with you. 

I can't get on board with all this Howe-bashing. Yes they broke FFP rules, but how else could such a small club (11,000 capacity) possibly reach, and survive in, the Premier League?

In their first season in the PL, they regularly fielded several players who had featured for them in Leagues One and Two – Charlie Daniels, Simon Francis, Tommy Elphick, Steve Cook, Marc Pugh, Matt Ritchie, Harry Arter... all while playing a passing- and possession-based style of football that we're still trying to make work at this level.

Yes he spent (and wasted) a lot of money in their last couple of years in the PL, but let's not pretend that he just got bankrolled and got lucky.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They will survive and be winning big prizes very soon. 

They couldn't even entice Umai Emery. The only jealousy seems to be coming from you.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

They couldn't even entice Umai Emery. The only jealousy seems to be coming from you.

Morning Hoggy, early lunch break chilling on here or do you take Fridays off? 

Howe is going to be a stopgap manager to get them out of relegation this season and up the table to around midpoint next season. Newcastle won't be curating an elite team from the outset as has been pointed out already, the top players demand European action. But what they can do is scoop up the best talent from secondary level teams, such as not worse than Normann, which would be enough to get them onto a high enough platform to launch a plan for elite status with an equally elite manager. Basically aiming for elite level in a season and a half from now. 

will he get them playing a better brand of football ? yes probably if the current players are good enough.

will it be enough to keep them up ? not sure !

keeping Wilson fit and depending on who they are able to buy in January is key 

Seems an odd choice. No real experience with big budgets, 'big name' players with big name egos - that's if he's still there to spend the money. I can see a David Moyes at utd happening here, sticks to who and what he knows and comes up short. Out of the door again in less than 18 months. 

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Sadly much of what you've written there is negatively attested to his personal being, and not what he's achieved as a manager.

I commented on his dour football and the fact that Bournemouth always struggled in the PL which indicates to me he is bang average.  Re my references to his ego etc, this was to make the point that that he was/is unlikely to come to Norwich.  IMHO he has not achieved anything that makes him deserve all the hype surrounding him.