king canary

Rumours abound...

Webber has signed a new deal and to be announced soon.

Absolutely no idea if its true but the extra piece about the commercial director gives it a bit more heft in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Good news.

Will be interesting to see how they do the announcement considering the situation right now. Something big and dramatic or something quick with the twitter/news feeds burying it with news about e-sports and videos of 30 year old goals within the hour.

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Like 1

Already trust the info from Tilly on this as he would have a good reason to know. 

Good news IMO. I think he’s done an incredible amount of good for the club with relatively little tools at his disposal. I will judge each player he signed once they’ve each had significant game time in a settled formation rather than largely bit parts 10 games in. 

• Like 1

Agreed AM.

I sense that the embarrassing disaster that this season is turning out to be might well mean that the club has finally come to a fork in the road with regard to its future development. It could be a bumpy ride for S & J.

I feel that a certain stability will therefore be necessary to the point that I am happy to cut and paste my earlier posting (in a rare moment of good sense) on the matter. It's really from a thread concerned with DF's future.

'Unless there is a change at the top I am quite happy to stick with the same package for next season and this includes Webber and most certainly Farke. Not over the moon, I hasten to add.

They have proven to be quite capable of re-grouping and making a tilt for the top in the past, and they can do so again, especially with the rest of this season to plan and prepare and with loads of PL dosh to use. We still benefit from promising youngsters brought up under DF's wing.

They might know sod all about Premier League survival, but they certainly know the Chumps.

Self-sufficiency and Premier League existence having proven to be a contradiction of terms, and with the current owners superglued to their padded seats in their mini-stand, the best we can hope for is to secure our yo-yo status.'

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Indeed it’s good to have all things settled, now to concentrate on the best solutions to the team issues.

Thinking about his signings I think I could probably name two unsuccessful for every success. I think there is an aura around him that maybe he has manufactured himself.

There is no doubt we have had success during his tenure. I am of the opinion that is more down to the coaching than the personnel.

I am in favour of continuity which is why I am not 100% convinced change will necessarily make a difference. However, I am more inclined to think it may be important to make changes whether it is coach or Sporting Director.

• Like 1

Good news if true. A question would be whether the executive group remains as Webber and Ward or reverts to a triumvirate, with a proper replacement for Kensell.

The timing of the end of Webbers contract doesn't work in his favour.

If you are trying to get a new job it wouldn't make much sense to advertise yourself when your stock is on a downward slide, Webber's reputation at the moment is about getting promotion but failing to stay in the Premier league.

I'd doubt he sees himself working for another Norwich type club, he would want to be more ambitious. If he's offered the opportunity to further his reputation by staying at Norwich and doing well he'll be daft not to take it.

He said as much in his most recent interview, for some reason it was only reported in the Athletic rather than the Pink'un.

Sorry but I'm not having that this isn't good news, could be the only silver lining from this awful season - had we managed to stay up he might've been tempted away. 

• Like 3

Well, wherever else would Stu and his good lady court a handsome wage and also have similar power and control?.....

His CV ain't looking too chipper at the mo' so pursue damage limitation and recovery - and hopefully attempt to right the wrongs.....

Then there's the question of Daniel?.....

• Like 2

It means that the finances to dismiss Webber will need to be added to the compo for Farke.  It may not be this season but it ought to be.  It will definitely sometime next season when we struggle to chase the top 26 challenge.  Given the shape of our current squad it is difficult to see the team performing sufficiently in what is a challenging environment.  If we can attract better players they could turn it around and this might be good news.  But with the exception of the ageing Teemu Pukki we need to improve the striking roles, the evidence appears not to substantiate Webber has the ability to find alternatives Sargent and Drmic as examples.

Who ever fills the position of Sporting Director or Coach now or in the future will be limited by the Self Funding Model.  Until that can be replaced with new owners we shall need to rely on free transfer punts to save our skins.  Obviously not going to happen and once the Webber/Farke miracle run is over mid table mediochrity will be best to hope for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hope this is not true as he should be held accountable for the performance of his players and his coach. Club is cur adrift with appalling performances and we are awarding new contracts to those responsible.. who gives him a new contract? His wife? No issue there then...

Should have waited until end of the season.

• Like 2

Great news if it is true, very odd timing.

It was just starting to feel like something needed to change, and this announcement is the opposite.   I wonder what is going through Webber’s mind, he must have a plan……..

Edited by Newtopia

Webber - "morning Daniel, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is I've just extended my contract. Saddly the bad news is......"

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Indeed it’s good to have all things settled, now to concentrate on the best solutions to the team issues.

That means dispensing with Herr Farke I'm afraid. However, if Webber does resign then it could be that bit harder as the two are almost super glued together like Insulate protesters.

This is only good news if Webber is prepared to sack Farke, he seems to give them impression that he's completely loyal to Farke and has no appetite to change manager. 

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Webber - "morning Daniel, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is I've just extended my contract. Saddly the bad news is......"

"You're still thinking about the bad news"

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Agreed AM.

I sense that the embarrassing disaster that this season is turning out to be might well mean that the club has finally come to a fork in the road with regard to its future development. It could be a bumpy ride for S & J.

I feel that a certain stability will therefore be necessary to the point that I am happy to cut and paste my earlier posting (in a rare moment of good sense) on the matter. It's really from a thread concerned with DF's future.

'Unless there is a change at the top I am quite happy to stick with the same package for next season and this includes Webber and most certainly Farke. Not over the moon, I hasten to add.

They have proven to be quite capable of re-grouping and making a tilt for the top in the past, and they can do so again, especially with the rest of this season to plan and prepare and with loads of PL dosh to use. We still benefit from promising youngsters brought up under DF's wing.

They might know sod all about Premier League survival, but they certainly know the Chumps.

Self-sufficiency and Premier League existence having proven to be a contradiction of terms, and with the current owners superglued to their padded seats in their mini-stand, the best we can hope for is to secure our yo-yo status.'

I can see the logic in this, up to a point. I think our problems are much bigger than Daniel, and his record in the Championship speaks for itself. But asking him to do it a third time in a row is a big ask. It's a really tough league - we just made it look easy last time (and not having fans in grounds played into our favour, too, allowing our superiority to tell in away games). And even if he succeeds in a third promotion, what's the plan then? We say 'thanks very much, but we're looking for a new coach in the PL'? Or we go in to a third PL season with him at the helm, after two embarrassing relegations?

45 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

This is only good news if Webber is prepared to sack Farke, he seems to give them impression that he's completely loyal to Farke and has no appetite to change manager. 

Agreed. This is a non confidence vote in Webber from potential clubs that were interested in him, but could slightly redeem himself if he recommends that Farke is axed, though that in itself is hardly a tough decision to make given the results. 

On a personal level after all what Webber has said, it shows that he is a man whose limitations cannot get him to where his mind thinks he should go. 

Very good news if true.  Regardless of what happens, Webber is such an asset it would be a big a loss if he left.  Everyone makes mistakes, investing in our future rather than short-term returns is not one of them, but it may be a poor sense of judgment in regards to telling us that survival was key.

If he stays it means he still see's progression here which can only be a good thing.

I can understand why people are pleased.  Personally, I think his tenure's been mixed, but on balance, it's probably good news he's staying.  However, I'm under no illusion that he's only staying because his star has waned.  

As he rather arrogantly announced a couple of years ago, words to the effect of: "I want to work at the top level.... I'm not a Norwich fan and I'll be leaving at the end of my contract."  \

As it's turned out, I don't imagine offers have been flooding in.  

8 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

That’s good news and irrelevant news