Sign in to follow this  
Justin time

Is international football so poor?

I just wondered if so many of our so called crap players are internationals is it so poor or is the premier league so good that we can’t make a decent fist of it with the players we have?

To me its like the FA cup when a lower league team comes up against PL opposition. Teemu for Finland, if they play Italy, chances are he will find it tough to score.

Every Premier League club has a team of internationals. Most of them have bigger internationals than us at the moment, see the difference maker Brazil international Leeds had last week.

By this are you asking if Kosovo are as good as France? Greece as good as Brazil? Scotland as good as Italy? I can confirm they are not.

It's good that we have players who are of a level where performing well gives them a chance of making their national squads. We know it pushed TK on. It's all valuable experience working with other coaches, playing different systems, with different players. I'm struggling to see any negatives other than workload and injuries?

Certainly for English players, International games were in less importance from the early 90's onwards which also was the start of the EPL. I remember England manager Graham Taylor being disgusted - and rightly so - by managers who were pulling players from England games by saying players were falsely injured or simply wouldn't release them. 

Taylor lost the argument. 

Players after their retirement often spoke how Internationals got in the way and they didn't have the motivation for them. 

Look at the countries our internationals play for! Kosovo, Greece, Scotland, Ireland, Finland, none of those strike much fear into the big countries do they?