Mengo

Brentford -Only a win will do. Thats theReality

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Have a feeling Gianoullis will return in place of Rashica and Rupp in for Sargent to add numbers to the midfield.

5-4-1.

A draw will be perfectly good enough. We can bore them to death.

As long as Kenny keeps his place what’s not to like. 

45 minutes ago, NWC said:

If we try the same team and formation that has failed the last few games, that will be very dissapointing.

Farke has got to show us that he can adapt to this league with the players at his disposal, and we need to see evidence of progress. 

This is not too much to ask, and it is something that we should as fans expect from our manager. 

Very disappointing indeed if the same team was picked

Personally there is no way he will pick the same team. Changes are about to take place. Last chance saloon. 

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

You’re quite right there’s no direct tube line, so it’s a lot of public transport changes and a bit of walking 🤗

New ground is easier to get to! Only need to change from getting on Circle Line at Liverpool Street to District Line then direct to Gunnersbury and about 10-15 mins walk from there. Or if taking main line from Waterloo, Kew Bridge station is literally next to the ground. 

It's not a feeling, it's a complete reality. We so desperately need a win it's not even a joke anymore. The biggest thing in the Prem is to at least not lose to your direct rivals in the relegation zone, so far we've just laid down a red carpet every week!

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, it's important but a point would show we are still fighting and a good draw would be something to build on.  Small steps.

Still fighting? I don't recall us really putting in what you would call a 'fighting performance' this season. 

We're not so much as Football club, more of a contractual obligation. 

Just now, lake district canary said:

Then you haven't been watching matches.

We have been insipid this season. Awful for fans and neutrals alike. I'd like to think it can't get any worse, but I fear it will. 

Just now, yellow_belly said:

Apart from watching Burnley… neither have you Lakey!!? 

To be fair that was a cracker of a match. Lakey certainly got lucky picking that one to attend. 

Just now, yellow_belly said:

I've watched every single match. Yes, I was at Burnley, which was a terrific fighting performance. Everton/Leicester/Brighton were also fighting perfornances. Komakino said there were none.

6 minutes ago, aBee said:

New ground is easier to get to! Only need to change from getting on Circle Line at Liverpool Street to District Line then direct to Gunnersbury and about 10-15 mins walk from there. Or if taking main line from Waterloo, Kew Bridge station is literally next to the ground. 

Cheers for the info, aBee.

As so often happens, when a lot of new players are signed it can take a while to integrate them and find a balance. We see that all the time, Villa struggled for a while a few seasons back but eventually came good and the rest is history. Brentford have taken a different approach whereby they’ve strengthened a couple of key areas but not in numbers (I believe), the only danger with that of course becomes the lack of options at this level when the injuries kick in, and thus perhaps explains why their results have dropped away a bit recently. We will have to see what happens Saturday but my gut feeling is this will be our first win of the season, and we will then head into the international break with a weight lifted from our shoulders after grabbing our first 3 points. The first half against Leeds, I thought we were actually very aggressive on the ball and on the retrieval, and the players looked really up for it, the only thing was we didn’t create lots of chances and that of course remains a concern. Compare that to the last 20 mins or so, and it couldn’t have been more the polar opposite, the zip from the first 45 had all but gone which was frustrating. But one of these games it will click - it’s if we can build on that in the games that follow which will seal our fate. But I do think Brentford is a must win game really, a win and we’ll likely not be cut adrift too far at this stage, and more importantly it’ll get the monkey off the players backs which we desperately need to do obviously. A pivotal game for sure and I’m looking forward to another new ground for the first time.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I've watched every single match. Yes, I was at Burnley, which was a terrific fighting performance. Everton/Leicester/Brighton were also fighting perfornances. Komakino said there were none.

No illegal streams I hope. 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We lost against Everton and never looked liked scoring.

We drew O-O against Burnley and Brighton. Apart from JS doing an impression of a 3 year old shooting … we never looked liked scoring. So hardly a magnificent fighting performance in any of these games.

I like how you crossing your fingers for a brilliant draw at Brentford! Sad times.

28 minutes ago, AJ said:

It's not a feeling, it's a complete reality. We so desperately need a win it's not even a joke anymore. The biggest thing in the Prem is to at least not lose to your direct rivals in the relegation zone, so far we've just laid down a red carpet every week!

Agree entirely. 👍 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

I will be delighted with one shot on target 

Prepare yourself for disappointment.

40 minutes ago, aBee said:

My comment was meant to be a joke at Budapest Canary’s observation about Brentford being a hard place to go winning wise, but thank you for your direction advice regardless! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, it's important but a point would show we are still fighting and a good draw would be something to build on.  Small steps.

Agree, 3 points from 11 games could become 6 points from 22 games which could become 9 points from 33 games which would mean we would only need 3 points from our last five games to eclipse the lowest Premier League points tally ever, onwards and upwards!!..........

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well i was at Everton and once they scored we hardly laid a glove on them. Fighting performance my ar$e.

3 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Agree, 3 points from 11 games could become 6 points from 22 games which could become 9 points from 33 games which would mean we would only need 3 points from our last five games to eclipse the lowest Premier League points tally ever, onwards and upwards!!..........

A draw would be a stepping stone to a gradual imnprovement. Nothing stays the same. Ever.

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

small steps? over 25% of the season has gone and we are 8 points adrift of safety. Maybe you could use the tortoise and hare analogy? Unfortunately we are the tortoise and our competition the very refreshed and focussed hare.

45 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

44 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

To be fair that was a cracker of a match. Lakey certainly got lucky picking that one to attend. 

I didn't go to Burnley but watched the game.They looked like two Championship sides slogging it out with little goalmouth action

Depends what people think is a cracker of course.....

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

A draw would be a stepping stone to a gradual imnprovement. Nothing stays the same. Ever.

Stepping stones to a gradual improvement?

What sort of feeble attitude is that, can't you grasp that we are in deep **** and "Stepping stones to a gradual improvement" ain't gonna stop the sh*te hitting the fan.

You really do live in a different World LDC.

What we actually need is a sea change and we need it immediately - as in, right now!

Just now, Making Plans said:

Stepping stones to a gradual improvement?

What sort of feeble attitude is that, can't you grasp that we are in deep **** and "Stepping stones to a gradual improvement" ain't gonna stop the sh*te hitting the fan.

You really do live in a different World LDC.

What we actually need is a sea change and we need it immediately - as in, right now!

If we need 30 points from the last 10 matches Lakey would fancy us to do it. 

50 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

My comment was meant to be a joke at Budapest Canary’s observation about Brentford being a hard place to go winning wise, but thank you for your direction advice regardless! 

I did get that but thought as it’s a new ground for you all it would help to give directions. Though if you’re going to Gunnersbury, for some reason the station is usually closed for an hour after the match so stop for a pint or walk a little further to Kew Gardens tube. 

Somewhat surprisingly the pubs by the old ground are still lively on match days (and away friendly) so are an option and only about 15 minutes walk (and handy for Brentford station if going to Waterloo). Something to do instead of queue at Kew Bridge station!

• Like 1

Very mixed predictions from the Bees supporters. Some think they’ll smash us given our recent results and others are saying they feel it will be the game that City clock up our first 3 points. Some are also seeing this as a must win game. Didn’t realise they’d lost their main man in goal for most of the season, Raya, and some aren’t happy that the Norway manager has already let slip that Ajer won’t be playing, it’s rumoured he won’t be back until the New Year.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Cheers for the info, aBee.

As so often happens, when a lot of new players are signed it can take a while to integrate them and find a balance. We see that all the time, Villa struggled for a while a few seasons back but eventually came good and the rest is history. Brentford have taken a different approach whereby they’ve strengthened a couple of key areas but not in numbers (I believe), the only danger with that of course becomes the lack of options at this level when the injuries kick in, and thus perhaps explains why their results have dropped away a bit recently. We will have to see what happens Saturday but my gut feeling is this will be our first win of the season, and we will then head into the international break with a weight lifted from our shoulders after grabbing our first 3 points. The first half against Leeds, I thought we were actually very aggressive on the ball and on the retrieval, and the players looked really up for it, the only thing was we didn’t create lots of chances and that of course remains a concern. Compare that to the last 20 mins or so, and it couldn’t have been more the polar opposite, the zip from the first 45 had all but gone which was frustrating. But one of these games it will click - it’s if we can build on that in the games that follow which will seal our fate. But I do think Brentford is a must win game really, a win and we’ll likely not be cut adrift too far at this stage, and more importantly it’ll get the monkey off the players backs which we desperately need to do obviously. A pivotal game for sure and I’m looking forward to another new ground for the first time.

Yes, the only first teamers we’ve bought are Ajer, Wissa (both injured) and Onyeka. We got Zanka (CB) as a free agent outside the window, which has helped due to injuries keeping Ajer, Pinnock and Sorenson out (and from past history, Jansson is always due an injury). When all fully fit we’ve typically started with 9 of the 11 being players from last season. 

We’ve started 352 as we finished last season after having to find a change from 433 after Henry got injured but gone a bit more direct and robust with three massive CBs who go forward with the ball a lot and overload the far post, most effectively bullying Alexander-Arnold and nearly doing the same v Chelsea. That shifts to 343 or 424 (how we ended v Liverpool and Chelsea pushing for win/equaliser) as Frank likes this season to obtain a degree of early control before making what as a fan seem like suicidally positive substitutions. Away at Wolves when we went down to 10 men, instead of shoring up defence to see the game out he brought on attacking players for defenders at 2-0 up. 

I think due to running low on CBs we might revert to 433 and go for the throat. If we do then in terms of our set up we’ll look more like the team you faced last season so Farke will have something to gauge against as you got 4 points from those games. Though I think the draw at ours was somewhat flattering to you and of course you don’t have the difference Buendia made at Carrow Road. 

It’ll be an interesting match all round and I wouldn’t like us to underestimate Norwich. 

Posted by Numan on other thread. Positive. If this can't work then last man out turn the lights out.