Sign in to follow this  
BigGrantsTash

It was the same with Neil.

11 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

It WAS easy.

1. We had the parachute money. Notice what's happening this season, with Bournemouth, Fulham and West Brom stretching away at the top. Funny, I wonder why that is?

2. We had a star player who took the **** out of the entire league every week.

We've lost that star player and are absolutely clueless without him - because the manager's never had the remotest clue what to do without him. Just like he didn't with Maddison in 2017/18, who kept us up all by himself.

But you see, I could take your protestations about 'perspective' and 'unrealistic expectations' a heck of a lot more seriously if you hadn't said, earlier in the thread, that you'd have backed the club if it had kept Bryan Gunn in charge.

That is to say: you'd have backed keeping in charge (sic) someone who, with one of the two best squads in the division, lost 7-1, at home, to Colchester United; who signed the worst goalkeeper (sic) in our history; who'd played a huge part in the catastrophic recruitment which had relegated us to the third tier for the first time in half a century; who couldn't motivate his way out of a paper bag; and who got the job because of a Facebook campaign by his daughter.

It's also to say you'd have backed something which would have literally taken the club into administration. Because we couldn't afford not to get immediate promotion. There is no 'perspective' in your comments at all. What there always - always, always, always - is:

Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes possibles.

"All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds".

There's a reason why Voltaire's Candide is so famous. And there's a reason why Dr Pangloss was such an absolute laughing stock.

I'll leave it to you in your next response to remind us how fortunate we all are not to live in brutish eighteenth century France. 🙄🙄🙄

I think its a stretch to call it 'easy.' I agree the expectation last season was promotion, we had a very strong squad and parachute payments but confidence would have been incredibly low post season. So while going up was the target it wasn't a simple task and he deserves a lot of credit.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think its a stretch to call it 'easy.' I agree the expectation last season was promotion, we had a very strong squad and parachute payments but confidence would have been incredibly low post season. So while going up was the target it wasn't a simple task and he deserves a lot of credit.

Agreed. Also, to look at a team that was relegated with a similar points total to ourselves last time in Sheffield United, shows how difficult bouncing back can be.

On 02/11/2021 at 20:34, BigGrantsTash said:

I see the majority of those who are adamant Farke should be kept and is the best man for the job are the people who said exactly the same when this was all going on with Alex Neil. 

You said fans were clueless for wanting Neil out. He was the next Alex Ferguson. He was the best we could get. We would go backwards once he was gone etc. 

He was sacked. Much to your disapproval and replaced by the man you now say is the Greatest NCFC manager ever.

So, do the Neil inners admit they were wrong? Were the Neil outers right all along? Presumably so as you think we’re in a much better position now.

With that being said. What makes you think you can’t be wrong again?

People who want managerial change always want it because they're frustrated with immediate results and impatient for success. That turnaround isn't often delivered by a change of manager alone. 

We've actually had periods in Farke's tenure where there have been calls, probably as big as this, to get him out and they've been proven wrong. There's nothing to suggest they're right this time. 

Were we really favourites to win the Championship last season? That smells of petty revisionism. Remember, we'd lost ten on the spin in the Premier League and indeed very few teams have come back up as champions of the Championship after finishing bottom of the Premier.

In fact, if I recall correctly, isn't it only one-in-three teams who get relegated from the Premier get back up, whether automatically or via the play-offs, over the last twenty years? And Farke dominated the league after a slow start, and also kept most of the team together.

Think we need to switch our two Premier loans and make one of them a real midfield scrapper.

• Like 1

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

People who want managerial change always want it because they're frustrated with immediate results and impatient for success. That turnaround isn't often delivered by a change of manager alone. 

We've actually had periods in Farke's tenure where there have been calls, probably as big as this, to get him out and they've been proven wrong. There's nothing to suggest they're right this time. 

Agree with this. I understand people's frustration, but what annoys me more than anything is the twisting the facts to make it look worse than it is. The media might like to harp on about two seasons ago, but if people are being really objective, they will give a little bit more credit to him. The "easy " label about last season is a prime example. We were down and out at the end of the previous season, ten losses in a row, all signs of fight or winning mentality totally disappeared. Yet DF turned it round into a winning mentality then and although, yes it was a league lower, it was still a fantastic effort to do it.

He has to do it again - and because he has proved more than once before he can get the team doing well when under pressure from the fans and when the team is struggling - there ought to be a bit more faith in him that he can do it again.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

Totally agree. Winning a league title, particularly the Championship, is never easy. I have no idea why some people look to take any and all credit away from Farke due to our current misery; I suspect these are people who have always disliked him for whatever reason and therefore look for any opportunity to try and prove themselves right.

I think the point being made is that LDC on hand is saying how brilliant DF did in the Championship but is loathe to say that he is doing badly in the EPL. Yet the results speak for themselves. And it is pushing the boundaries to say that because there was a season between the two EPL seasons, the first one doesn't count.

Every manager I can think of except Alex Neil has kept us in the EPL for another season except DF. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the Deehan/Megson period.

I agree that our performance so far this season has been abysmal, but I’m one of the few who still want Farke to stay. Why? He won us the Championship title and although he got us sent straight back down from the PL, got us straight back up as Champions again.  If we are showing no signs of possible promotion in about a year’s time though, I think I will probably change my mind and want him to go

In other words I only want Farke to stay because of his record in the Championship, and still believe he could get us straight back up again 

Edited by HazzaJet

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think the point being made is that LDC on hand is saying how brilliant DF did in the Championship but is loathe to say that he is doing badly in the EPL. Yet the results speak for themselves. And it is pushing the boundaries to say that because there was a season between the two EPL seasons, the first one doesn't count.

Every manager I can think of except Alex Neil has kept us in the EPL for another season except DF. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the Deehan/Megson period.

We went straight back down under Worthington in 2004-5

4 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

We went straight back down under Worthington in 2004-5

Whoops. Forgot him. Mind you, we should have stayed up and I am loathe to mention Fulham.

On 02/11/2021 at 19:34, BigGrantsTash said:

I see the majority of those who are adamant Farke should be kept and is the best man for the job are the people who said exactly the same when this was all going on with Alex Neil. 

You said fans were clueless for wanting Neil out. He was the next Alex Ferguson. He was the best we could get. We would go backwards once he was gone etc. 

He was sacked. Much to your disapproval and replaced by the man you now say is the Greatest NCFC manager ever.

So, do the Neil inners admit they were wrong? Were the Neil outers right all along? Presumably so as you think we’re in a much better position now.

With that being said. What makes you think you can’t be wrong again?

In terms of win percentage I reckon Alan Irvine is probably up their with the very best 

48 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Whoops. Forgot him. Mind you, we should have stayed up and I am loathe to mention Fulham.

Agree with that - all we needed was a draw and we ended up with a 6-0 defeat