cambridgeshire canary

What are your memories of the first premier league season?

We got thumped 1-7 at Blackburn, 1-5 at Spurs, 1-4 at Liverpool, 0-3 at Wimbledon, 0-3 at Southampton, 1-3 at the binners and we lost 0-2 at home to the binners. We conceded three more goals than the team that finished rock bottom, Nottingham Forest. 

Boo. Everyone Out. 

• Haha 4

An absolutely incredible time. A season which will never be topped. Ever. 

Starting the season as relegation favourites. Going 2-0 down at title favourites Arsenal. Then scoring FOUR GOALS in the second half, two of them by Mark Robins, one of my favourite Norwich players of all time. For two or three months at the start of the season, he was absolutely unplayable. His chip of Seaman was followed by this glorious first time lofted volley against Chelsea in the very next match: one of the Premier League's great forgotten goals. 

There was a magnificent performance against Forest in front of the Sky cameras which sent us top: both Dave Phillips and Ian Crook scoring fabulous goals. Grinding performances v Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday which kept us top, sandwiched between a comical game at Chelsea: where our team bus, having been stranded in traffic, only arrived 15 minutes before kickoff. Playing like we were still on the bus, we rapidly went two down, then came all the way back thanks to maybe the worst goalkeeping performance the PL has ever seen. By poor old Dave Beasant - whose manager all but sacked him in public that evening!

A really enjoyable top of the table clash at Coventry (yes, really!) ended in a draw. Then a rather less enjoyable top of the table clash at Blackburn ended in a 7-1 humiliation. Cue all the national pundits laughing at and writing us off; Danny Baker on 606, bitter forever because of us having beaten Millwall 6-1 a few years earlier, openly ridiculing us; and Alan Hansen on MOTD reminding us that Liverpool had had a lot of injuries lately. This would remain a running theme all season. Almost nobody in the national media ever appreciated us until what happened in Munich the following season.

But the resilience we had was extraordinary. Bryan Gunn lost his baby daughter - yet heroically played regardless as we beat QPR, another very good side back then, 2-1... and not long afterwards was one of several season-defining games. Arsenal away was one, Oldham away was another. Robins got a hat trick: the final goal of which was in injury time, and the most majestically placed finish. He passed it through this impossibly tiny angle, and hit the only spot which could've resulted in a goal. The Norwich fans, who'd travelled to the game by a plane chartered by the club (!), went bonkers.  

Before Oldham, Arsenal had gone top and looked like they were getting their act together. After Oldham, the Gunners faded away and we pulled further and further clear: the highlight being one of the greatest Norwich City performances in history. Away to Villa, who the pundits overrated while underrating us, we could've been five up at half time, so dominant had we been. Mike Walker used a sweeper that day; the pity was he didn't do it more often on our travels. Yet as Norwich will always be Norwich, a 2-0 lead one minute before half time became 2-2 a minute after it thanks to blunders by Gunn and Ian Culverhouse... yet we went straight back up the other end and won it: Ruel Fox jinking and turning, before a daisycutter from Daryl Sutch, who was exceeding himself beyond imagination.

We moved eight points clear. EIGHT POINTS CLEAR. At which point, the enormity of what they were doing suddenly seemed to hit the players. We went to Old Trafford in a game which, had we won, we'd probably have won the whole thing. We played decently but kinda passively; the game, and the massive opportunity it represented, sort of passed us by. And crucially, Crook was injured early on. We were nothing like the same without him. Schmeichel saved from Robins (the exact turning point right there), Sutch made a mess of a clearance, Mark Hughes punished us, and everything changed at that moment. We were basically playing catch-up after that.

We lost form and rhythm; we went over five games without scoring at all; and in front of the BBC cameras v Tottenham in the FA Cup, the chickens came home to roost in an appalling performance. We had no confidence up front at all; defensively, we were a shambles, and we lost 2-0 going on 8-0. In the commentary box, Barry Davies could hardly believe what had happened to us. Mid-table mediocrity beckoned.

At which point, again, the players responded. Again they faced their critics down. A goal down in no time v Crystal Palace, they proceeded to play beautifully in an exhilarating contest, one of the best of the season. Then winning at Everton that weekend (with Sunderland fans joining us and roaring us on after their game at Tranmere had been postponed very late on) via an absolute wondersave from Gunn put us back on top. Incredible!

But the reason we ultimately didn't win the title was we just didn't have the squad numbers. Key players were injured around this time - Robins, Crook, Ian Butterworth, Jeremy Goss, Gary Megson - and we ended up bringing in the likes of Dave Smith, Colin Woodthorpe and Rob Ullathorne before they were ready. It's a tribute to them and the spirit of the side that they all slotted in and we ground out draws v Blackburn and Arsenal: very creditable results, but it meant we were falling astern in the title race. A 3-1 defeat at QPR in early March left us 7 points adrift and surely, out of it.

Cue, to my mind, amid a whole host of them to choose from, the single greatest thing that side did. Somehow, they picked themselves up yet again. Somehow, they won three in a row, keeping three clean sheets too... and with United and Villa both stuttering, we went top again! Before crashing back down to Earth at Wimbledon, where our passing approach invariably ran into a brick wall. We were tired too; the injuries had played their part in that. Yet what happened? My favourite game in Norwich City history happened: a sensational match v Villa, end to end throughout. Either side could've won, Garry Parker missed an open goal, and John Polston, 24 hours after his wife had given birth, sparked delirium 8 minutes from the end. 

It says something rather awful that Sky were at Man Utd-Arsenal that night, despite the Gunners being stranded in mid-table. The whole country deserved to see Norwich v Villa and missed out hugely. But it meant that we now had 12 days to think about being only six games from the title. After the Villa game, so many of our own fans, who'd assumed we'd probably come up just short, suddenly believed... but we forgot how good United were, and how brilliant Alex Ferguson was. They took us to the cleaners via one of the greatest counter-attacking displays in PL history: it was the template for so many of their sides in the years ahead. Giggs and Kanchelskis were on fire, we couldn't cope - and that was that, confirmed by a 5-1 shellacking at White Hart Lane four days later, with the players clearly traumatised by what United had done. Shattering their dreams; reminding us, belatedly, of our place in the world.

Many Norwich fans wish they could have the home game to United back. I wish we could have the away one back. Because they were pretty fitful at that point, really struggling for fluency and goals, while we were flying. If we could somehow have won that December afternoon, history might be so very different. But as it was, Cantona made all the difference for them - while crucially, we failed to sign anyone until Efan Ekoku on transfer deadline day. Including Patrik Andersson, the perfect solution defensively: but Blackburn snatched him from our grasp because of course, they paid far higher wages. 

In the last minute at home to Blackburn, Andersson hit a fizzing shot which Gunn did really well to turn round the post. We didn't know it at the time, but that was a moment of quite colossal importance. Had it gone in, we wouldn't have qualified for Europe: which wasn't even guaranteed for anyone finishing below 2nd.

Instead, via a glorious Palace-style win v Leeds (Chris Sutton getting a hat trick and announcing himself as a striker, not the central defender he'd been previously), a dreadfully depressing defeat at Ipswich, a scrambled win v Liverpool (our last home win v them to this day) which owed entirely to David James losing the plot and getting himself sent off, and the most mental 3-3 draw at already relegated Middlesbrough, in which we repeatedly tried to beat ourselves, Walker's selection was suicidally over-attacking, but Ekoku and young Andy Johnson saved us, we fell over the line in third... and all became Arsenal fans for the next 12 days. They'd already won the League Cup. Now they were going for an (at the time) unprecedented domestic Cup double. If they won, we'd qualify for the UEFA Cup. If Sheffield Wednesday, beaten already in one final, got their revenge, all our incredible efforts would've been for nothing.

The first game finished 1-1. The replay went to extra time. We were one minute from our entire fate being decided out of our hands in a penalty shoot-out... at which point, ex-Norwich defender Andy Linighan headed the ball through ex-Norwich keeper Chris Woods' hands... and we'd done it! We were in Europe! After, remember, being denied it in 1985, 1987 and 1989 thanks to the hooliganism and violence of others.

On balance, that we ultimately made such heavy weather of finishing 3rd probably proves that we were never quite good enough to win the league. As does the absolutely extraordinary stat that we ended up in the top three with a negative goal difference. Imagine that! 1-7 at Blackburn, 1-5 at Tottenham, 1-4 at Liverpool, 0-3 at Southampton, 0-3 at Wimbledon were why - yet we took a stunning amount of points from losing positions (including from two down at Arsenal and Chelsea), and had a superbly strong home record, only losing twice.

And in the end, we got exactly what we deserved. Those players were all so down to Earth, so likeable, so hugely relatable - and at a time of hoofing it and the long ball, we did things totally differently. Observers overseas would highlight this the following season and laud Walker for his approach: this was a truly enlightened football club winning hearts all over Europe. The tragedy was it all ended so fast - and by the end of 1993/4, Munich and Milan already both seemed like dreams. 

1992/3 was the greatest time to be alive for any Norwich City supporter. I'll never forget it. The entire season is burnished into my brain forever. And we did it with a bunch of humble, down to Earth blokes who had the time of their lives - and for the next 23 years, were the last provincial club ever to contend for the title. 

Celebrate them. Never forget them. They are all legends. As is their leader: Mike Walker himself, who the players adored, was tactically brilliant, and spent the entire season taking the **** out of our God-awful football media. The greatest manager in our history. I bloody wuv him, I do. ❤️

Edited by thebigfeller
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 12

59 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

We got thumped 1-7 at Blackburn, 1-5 at Spurs, 1-4 at Liverpool, 0-3 at Wimbledon, 0-3 at Southampton, 1-3 at the binners and we lost 0-2 at home to the binners. We conceded three more goals than the team that finished rock bottom, Nottingham Forest. 

Boo. Everyone Out. 

I remember the 2-0 binners home defeat, bought my ticket from the local branch of Norwich and Peterborough, was in the lower Barclay think it was one of the first times I'd gone on my own to a game, I was 16 and I think it was then when the ill fated trial of the Upper Barclay for away fans started.

Great post @thebigfeller

I sadly don't remember anything about it, because I started following City toward the end of the 93-94 season and the first full season, 94/5 was a disaster. It was a weird time because I had nothing to compare it to, but for long time Norwich fans at the time, it must have been complete disbelief to go from nearly winning the Prem to relegated in such a short time.

What was the feeling like amongst fans when Walker walked out and we put Deehan in charge? Did no one else want the job?

Can't add much to the big feller's post, but my overriding memory is Ekoku's consolation goal at White Hart Lane in the 5-1. 

"We're going to win the league", came the defiant cry. We all knew we weren't, that our hopes were dead for good that night. But the song wasn't ironic: it was heartfelt and proud. One of my most emotional moments as a City fan.

It was the year I vowed never to go to football again 

I broke that vow, and have been to, if my memory is correct, 2 home games and 4 away games since then.

Plus one at home watching from the hotel. Well, I watched the first half, second half I had sex with my girlfriend instead 

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
Memory not that good, after all. 4 away games, not 3.
  • Haha 1

A very different time

In the opening day of the Premier League there were only 12 non British and Irish players across the whole 22 clubs starting XI's.

A more even playing field back then, when Jack Walker was the only individual throwing the money around then

5 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Great post @thebigfeller

I sadly don't remember anything about it, because I started following City toward the end of the 93-94 season and the first full season, 94/5 was a disaster. It was a weird time because I had nothing to compare it to, but for long time Norwich fans at the time, it must have been complete disbelief to go from nearly winning the Prem to relegated in such a short time.

What was the feeling like amongst fans when Walker walked out and we put Deehan in charge? Did no one else want the job?

Well, until then, we'd essentially had a conveyor belt for a long, long time, in which we never appointed famous managers, but always chose people already embedded in the coaching staff. That was Liverpool's way during their golden era, after all.

So we went from Bond to Brown to Stringer to Walker to Deehan... but Chase had no conception at all of how quickly football was changing, and just assumed we could keep selling players and keep doing fine. Given the performances in Munich, Milan... as well as at Blackburn (3-2 win), Leeds (4-0 win), Everton (5-1 win) and Old Trafford, where the two sides played to a standstill in a brilliant 2-2 draw, that Deehan only won two games for the rest of the season had alarm bells ringing in my head very loudly. Remember, that was before we sold Sutton that summer! Chase's biggest blunder was not bringing in a proven manager then and there; his second biggest, the disastrous failure to replace Bryan Gunn when he was injured at Forest midway through 94/5.

Some of the fans, however fleetingly, embarrassed themselves at Wycombe immediately after Walker left. Where they sang, to their eternal shame:

Oh Mike Walker's a ****

He wears a ****'s hat

And now he's gone to Everton

Cos he's a greedy ****

That was only a minority, of course. A stupid one. But when he returned in Summer 1996, he was hailed as the Messiah, the conquering hero. Almost all Norwich fans always loved him; but many wildly over-simplified his success, and assumed he could just wave a magic wand when he returned to a club whose resources had been devastated, and which was light years behind where it had been only 30 months earlier.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Can't add much to the big feller's post, but my overriding memory is Ekoku's consolation goal at White Hart Lane in the 5-1. 

"We're going to win the league", came the defiant cry. We all knew we weren't, that our hopes were dead for good that night. But the song wasn't ironic: it was heartfelt and proud. One of my most emotional moments as a City fan.

That's possibly my most vivid memory too! I was so proud of everything we'd done. Not gutted, just proud. 

Just now, thebigfeller said:

That's possibly my most vivid memory too! I was so proud of everything we'd done. Not gutted, just proud. 

I was very much both.

7 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

Given the performances in Munich, Milan... as well as at Blackburn (3-2 win), Leeds (4-0 win), Everton (5-1 win) and Old Trafford, where the two sides played to a standstill in a brilliant 2-2 draw

I'd add to that a 3-1 win at Spurs on Boxing Day, when we absolutely played them off the park. I was at Elland road that year, but I think that Spurs game is the best I ever saw Norwich play. No good fortune, no wonder goals. We were just miles better than them. Great days, and, as you say, how swiftly it all fell apart.

1 hour ago, thebigfeller said:

Celebrate them. Never forget them. They are all legends. As is their leader: Mike Walker himself, who the players adored, was tactically brilliant, and spent the entire season taking the **** out of our God-awful football media. The greatest manager in our history. I bloody wuv him, I do. ❤️

If you wrote all that, top man.    Brilliant piece.  Great memories and as stated, by far the best team in our history.

One of my vivid memories occurred in August the following season, 4-0 away at Leeds when Goss scored that volley, they only ever show Ruel Fox's cross, but that volley finished off an exceptional display of football from back to front, we were still on fire!   

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'd add to that a 3-1 win at Spurs on Boxing Day, when we absolutely played them off the park. I was at Elland road that year, but I think that Spurs game is the best I ever saw Norwich play. No good fortune, no wonder goals. We were just miles better than them. Great days, and, as you say, how swiftly it all fell apart.

Yes. Those were the final days under Walker - by when, we alternated between incredible away performances (away from home, we were world class in the first half of that season, one of the best sides in Europe) and either dreadful or leaky home performances. Walker never seemed to figure out that his totally innovative, utterly brilliant sweeper system behind three centre backs - catenaccio, Norfolk-style - worked like a dream on our travels because opponents would make the play, run into a brick wall, then we'd counter at breathtaking speed through Fox, Sutton and Ekoku.

But at home, the onus was on us to attack: which we were too defensive to do effectively. There followed marvellous games v Villa and especially Newcastle - but a pair of 1-2, Pyrrhic defeats. 

Edited by thebigfeller

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If you wrote all that, top man.    Brilliant piece.  Great memories and as stated, by far the best team in our history.

One of my vivid memories occurred in August the following season, 4-0 away at Leeds when Goss scored that volley, they only ever show Ruel Fox's cross, but that volley finished off an exceptional display of football from back to front, we were still on fire!   

The Leeds fans applauding said it all after that goal. 

3 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Yeah, the first half of the 93-94 season we were essentially the second best team in the country, behind only an outstanding Man Utd team that won the double. 

18 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

Well, until then, we'd essentially had a conveyor belt for a long, long time, in which we never appointed famous managers, but always chose people already embedded in the coaching staff. That was Liverpool's way during their golden era, after all.

So we went from Bond to Brown to Stringer to Walker to Deehan... but Chase had no conception at all of how quickly football was changing, and just assumed we could keep selling players and keep doing fine. Given the performances in Munich, Milan... as well as at Blackburn (3-2 win), Leeds (4-0 win), Everton (5-1 win) and Old Trafford, where the two sides played to a standstill in a brilliant 2-2 draw, that Deehan only won two games for the rest of the season had alarm bells ringing in my head very loudly. Remember, that was before we sold Sutton that summer! Chase's biggest blunder was not bringing in a proven manager then and there; his second biggest, the disastrous failure to replace Bryan Gunn when he was injured at Forest midway through 94/5.

Some of the fans, however fleetingly, embarrassed themselves at Wycombe immediately after Walker left. Where they sang, to their eternal shame:

Oh Mike Walker's a ****

He wears a ****'s hat

And now he's gone to Everton

Cos he's a greedy ****

That was only a minority, of course. A stupid one. But when he returned in Summer 1996, he was hailed as the Messiah, the conquering hero. Almost all Norwich fans always loved him; but many wildly over-simplified his success, and assumed he could just wave a magic wand when he returned to a club whose resources had been devastated, and which was light years behind where it had been only 30 months earlier.

I had all the season reviews from these seasons as a kid so I was able to get a look at what happened before I started following, I remember the 93-94 season looked like we started on fire and then as you say, won 2 games after Deehan took over. There were some bizarre heavy home defeats, and when you look at the stats, we won only 4 games at home that whole season - what happened there? It's lucky we had the good start or it looks like we'd have been relegated - we still had Sutton and no goalkeeper injury crisis unlike the following season, what do you think was the reason for that team going so drastically downhill that season? The following season when I was already following as a fan, we also won only 2 games after Xmas and did of course go down.

And yeah, as an 11 year old having seen the 92/3 and 93/4 season videos, I was delighted when Walker came back in the summer of 96. Being the kid I was, I thought it meant guaranteed promotion.

18 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

at home, the onus was on us to attack: which we were too defensive to do effectively.

This is an excellent observation, which I've never really thought about. I just wish we'd realised that there really wasn't an onus on us to attack in the Inter home game. A 0-0 draw would have been a brilliant result, what with our away strength and the away goals rule. Naiveté of our first year in Europe, I guess, but I really wish we'd shut up shop in the last few minutes of that match.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

This is an excellent observation, which I've never really thought about. I just wish we'd realised that there really wasn't an onus on us to attack in the Inter home game. A 0-0 draw would have been a brilliant result, what with our away strength and the away goals rule. Naiveté of our first year in Europe, I guess, but I really wish we'd shut up shop in the last few minutes of that match.

My thoughts entirely. Inter at home is the single biggest regret of my Norwich-watching life. United away the previous season is second.

1 minute ago, thebigfeller said:

My thoughts entirely. Inter at home is the single biggest regret of my Norwich-watching life. United away the previous season is second.

All those regrets perfectly captured by that pause as Barry Davies tries to think of a way it wasn't, then says in a perfectly judged lament, "Oh, that's a penalty".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

I had all the season reviews from these seasons as a kid so I was able to get a look at what happened before I started following, I remember the 93-94 season looked like we started on fire and then as you say, won 2 games after Deehan took over. There were some bizarre heavy home defeats, and when you look at the stats, we won only 4 games at home that whole season - what happened there? It's lucky we had the good start or it looks like we'd have been relegated - we still had Sutton and no goalkeeper injury crisis unlike the following season, what do you think was the reason for that team going so drastically downhill that season? The following season when I was already following as a fan, we also won only 2 games after Xmas and did of course go down.

And yeah, as an 11 year old having seen the 92/3 and 93/4 season videos, I was delighted when Walker came back in the summer of 96. Being the kid I was, I thought it meant guaranteed promotion.

Two reasons. Tactical and mental. Let's take the second first: these players knew they had an incredible opportunity, but it was taken away from them by the financial reality of the club. Which was a completely self-fulfilling prophecy: if, in some alternate universe, we'd been able to keep all the top players we had between the mid-80s and mid-90s, we'd have won multiple league titles!

They were devastated to lose Walker. That's why Fox left so shortly afterwards - and after joining Newcastle, he gave an interview to 90 MINUTES in which he basically said that Norwich were finished. He was right. The spirit of that squad was destroyed by the Chairman: whose ridiculous nonsense like Radio Canary or flying to the UEFA Cup draw rather gave the lie to the idea that we were skint. His refusal to offer Walker anything like proper remuneration (Mike's salary was unbelievably pathetic) at the same time as demanding compensation from Everton was a joke; it was either one or the other, Bob. Can't have it both ways. 

But also, tactical. See my response to @Robert N. LiM above. Determined to succeed in Europe at a time English clubs and the national team were way, way off the pace, Walker devised an absolutely brilliant sweeper system behind three centre backs. Nobody had ever played this way before anywhere. This gave us fantastic defensive solidity on our travels, before we'd break with terrifying pace through some of the quickest players in the league.

But at home, where the onus was on us to make the play, all the benefits of our away record cancelled themselves out... and the fans' frustration only added to that. It still surprises me that Walker never figured this out; and Deehan didn't either. Plus once Man Utd had knocked us out of the FA Cup and Fox left, the season was over, so we spent the final 3 months on the beach mentally.

What a waste. What a ginormous, awful waste of what could have been.

And incidentally: when Walker returned in '96, I thought the same as you! I thought the man was God basically. Midway through the following season, after those consecutive disasters at West Brom and Port Vale, I finally accepted our new, much reduced status. From established mid-table top flight club which beat Bayern Munich to mid-table second flight club which couldn't even beat Barnet in, more or less, the blink of an eye.

Edited by thebigfeller

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

All those regrets perfectly captured by that pause as Barry Davies tries to think of a way it wasn't, then says in a perfectly judged lament, "Oh, that's a penalty".

Yep. I know he's a Tottenham fan, but he loved us. Especially that team.

Greatest football commentator of all time - and it tells us everything, absolutely everything, about this stupid world that the BBC preferred John bloody Motson. "This is almost fantasy football!" excepted, of course.

• Like 1

"The Norwich fans doing their best to lift their team, and I think they won that tackle for Jerry Goss...

...and you don't need to ask who scored it!"

Obviously Davies > Motson, but they both did us proud that season.

Truth is, everyone loved that Norwich team.

Fantastic time i do not remember to much about it

i was in my early 20's  early 1990's  you were there and enjoying it but can not remember a thing ! 

Simply the most magical and wonderful season. It was my third season as a Norwich fan. I was 10. We live(d) in Gloucestershire and everyone took the **** out of me for supporting Norwich. Majority of my class supported Man U (or suddenly did that season). As Bigfella said that Villa Away game remains my favourite ever game. We were ridiculously  good. I remember the ball zipping around from player to player. We passed so crisply at the time and yes we broke with so much pace. Ruel was majestic and you just knew something was going to happen when he received the ball. My Dad told me at the time this was going to be as good as it gets as a Nodge fan and he wasn’t wrong . I could write so much more about that time and probably will at some stage.

I will end on this though, possibly the proudest moment of my Norwich supporting life was walking into secondary school the day after we beat Bayern away with the biggest **** eating grin on my face and no one could take the **** that day. Of course as others have said the fact it all turned wrong so quickly was devastating and still hard to take. The day we got relegated at Leeds still stings to this day. We really should have won that day but same old Norwich we found a way to lose it at the death. Supporting Norwich is always a rollercoaster ride but those highs will sadly never be reached again. I fell honoured to have grown up with that team as my hero’s. OTBC 

• Like 1

Amazing times. Also weird to think that at least half the teams have been down to at least the 3rd tier and one doesn't even exist anymore!

Still remember hearing the scores come in on that first day on a beach in Cornwall. Knew we were losing at half time so it was a shock when the final scores come in. Was that the year wark got sent off in the Derby? He must've only been about 47 at the time!

3 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

Great post!

That season is ingrained into my very soul; it was the first season my parents decided that we would go to away games and it just happened to coincide with our best ever season. So many memories...

Robin's Chelsea lob...

Crystal Palace in August...David Philips flying side-on scissor kick to beat them 2-1...

Crook's free kick against Forest...

Beating Everton away with a load of Sunderland fans turning up to support us after their game was called off...

Flying to Middlesbrough (!) to watch the last game of the season. Bizarrely, I now work close to where Ayresome Park used to be.

Crazy days.

OTBC

1 hour ago, thebigfeller said:

Yep. I know he's a Tottenham fan, but he loved us. Especially that team.

Greatest football commentator of all time - and it tells us everything, absolutely everything, about this stupid world that the BBC preferred John bloody Motson. "This is almost fantasy football!" excepted, of course.

Barry Davies, without doubt the best!   Always thought it bizarre they preferred Motson.   

• Like 1