Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

Gretest Norwich City Team

I am sure that this has been done on here befoer but i was curious who people would put in an all time greatest city team?I''ve only included players from 1990 onwards in mine as i''m too young to remember much before then.                                          Robert Green Thomas Helveg     Ian Culverhouse       Craig Fleming       Mark Bowen Ruel Fox           Ian Crook            Youseff Safri                Darren Huckerby                        Craig Bellamy                       Chris Sutton Subs: Bryann Gunn, Adam Drury, Darren Eadie, Iwan Roberts, Robert Fleck

Excluding current players (only hux would be close to making it)

Kevin Keelan

Thomas Helveg  Dave Watson   Steve Bruce    Mark Bowen

Martin O''Neill   Ian Crook      Martin Peters    

Darren Eadie

Chris Sutton    Craig Bellamy 

Subs     Chris Woods,  Ian Culverhouse, Ruel Fox,  Kevin Reeves, Kevin Drinkell,

Manager - 1st time around Mike Walker.   

I was born in 82 so it is purely based on players from my generation:

Gunn

Culverhouse              Watson                                Bruce              Bowen

Gordon                     Crook                              Townsend             Eadie

Sutton                              Bellamy

Subs

Green

Drury

Butterworth

Fox

Roberts

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]An excellent choice at right-back young sir![/quote]

he should be the ''Prince of Patheticness" Pete [:P]

anyhow, i would pesonally put Steeno there.

[quote] I am sure that this has been done on here befoer but i was curious who people would put in an all time greatest city team?

I''ve only included players from 1990 onwards in mine as i''m too young to remember much before then.

Robert Green
Thomas Helveg     Ian Culverhouse       Craig Fleming       Mark Bowen

Ruel Fox           Ian Crook            Youseff Safri                Darren Huckerby

Craig Bellamy                       Chris Sutton

Subs: Bryann Gunn, Adam Drury, Darren Eadie, Iwan Roberts, Robert Fleck

[/quote]

Yeah I did the basic same thing as this but called it All time norwich Cult 11! You should have a look for it because there will be a lot of players you''ve never heard of! My favorite would include Gunn, Edworthy, Bowen, Eadie, Sutton, Bellamy, Keelan, Hucks and Iwan. Put them into a formation worthy! Worthy''d put Keelan and Gunn up front probably!

if its from 1990 onwards how the hell have u put Greeno in ahead of Gunny?????

Gunn

Culverhouse      Newsome      MacKay      Bowen

Fox               Crook         Safri          Eadie

Roberts            Sutton

Subs: Huckleberry, Green, Ekoku, Nedergaard, Fleming

jas :)

[quote user="AJ"]

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]An excellent choice at right-back young sir![/quote]

he should be the ''Prince of Patheticness" Pete [:P]

anyhow, i would pesonally put Steeno there.

[/quote]Steeno - how can people not put him in the team at right back? He is quite simply the best player we had in that position for ten years. At least three times the player Helveg was and is!Just makes you wonder doesnt it?Does anyone know who was in the squad when Worthy took over by the way? Steeno and Malky were both there but had not made an impact and were playing reserve team football before Worthington came in - was just wondering who was played ahead of them at the time. I think Jackson was ahead of Malky otherwise I am not sure.

where''s Flecky, guys...you cant leave him out at his peak..............I still have dreams about that goal he scored at Millwall and remember how gutted i felt when i heard he wasn''t playing in the FA Cup Semi against Everton. I knew we wouldn''t win when i heard that!

Ive been going since 1975 and Ian Culverhouse is head and shoulders the best right back we''ve had in that time.

Not a bad sweeper too when Walker played that system..

From my point of view the best players (not the best team)  IN A 4 .3 .3 FORMATION   were                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  KEELAN  .   MORGAN .CULVERHOUSE .B.BUTLER .BOWEN.J HILL ,O BURTON ,  B BRENAN, C SUTTON .T BLY  AND HUX                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Zippers team

Excluding current players (only hux would be close to making it)

Kevin Keelan

Thomas Helveg  Dave Watson   Steve Bruce    Mark Bowen

Martin O''Neill   Ian Crook      Martin Peters    

Darren Eadie

Chris Sutton    Craig Bellamy 

Subs     Chris Woods,  Ian Culverhouse, Ruel Fox,  Kevin Reeves, Kevin Drinkell,

Manager - 1st time around Mike Walker.   

Great choice Zip...I think I might consider Culverhouse at right back but it is difficult to argue.

IM) Flecky was a cult but look at some of the names mentioned - some damn good players there and thats excluding the older classics before MacDougall - top scorer in the top division - we havent had that before or since.. 

Always a tough one, although I view cult as something different to greatest as my post on that shows, and my greatest city team changes depending on when I am posting and who I recall at that moment; so while I may have a core the subs and one or two of the 11 change every time.

Never bore of the greatest 11 - part of being a fan 

cant believe i forgot Flecky!!!!

he missed the Everton Smi and wasnt 100% for the sunderland one... im convinced had he of played both (or been 100% for the mackems game) we could of won them!

jas :)

Nethercott, Ashman, Crowe, Thurlow, Butler, Punton, Crossan, Bly, Hill, McCrohan. Can''t remember the whole 11.

Why? Because their exploits in the 1959 FA Cup instilled passion and for the first time the belief that Norwich City''s country ''bois'' could be more than just a middle-of-the-table Division Three South side.

Soon after (1961?) the Canaries moved into Division Two (now the Championship) and they have never been back. Onwards and upwards it was from the joy and excitement of 1959.

Nowadays I have to read this forum''s fans comments with a wry smile. The same criticisms were being voiced way back then - but the team regularly had 30,000+ home gates - and I believe the record attendance was around 42,000 in the Cup against Leicester(?)/Portsmouth(?)

Puts today''s 25,000 full houses into context to me.

Each generation will have its own heroes but it saddens me that in today''s ''best team threads'' those Hall of Fame cavaliers of the late-1950s are never spoken of nowadays.

1990 onwards mine would have to be

Green

Culverhouse Linighan Newsome Bowen

Gordon Crook Townsend Eadie

Bellamy Sutton

Subs: Gunn, Butterworth, Safri, Fox, Roberts

I was thinking about this last night and realised that we have actually also had some brilliant loan players here before now.You could have a half decent team out of those alone although some areas I am not to sure on, so I guess what I am listing here is the best loan player squad that I can think of!Crouch (CF) - Aston VillaHuckerby (LM/CF) - Man CityHarper (RM) - PortsmouthScott Parker (CM) - CharltonJan Molby (CF) - ?Davenport (CB) - TottenhamRehman (CB) - FulhamCan''t think of any more at the moment but what do you guys think?

G : Chris Woods

RB : Ian Culverhouse

LB : Mark Bowen

CB : Steve Bruce

CB : Dave Watson

RM : Ruel Fox

CM : Ian Crook

CM : Martin O''Neill

LM : David Williams

CF : Chris Sutton

CF : Kevin Drinkell

Subs : Gunn , Butterworth , Phelan , Townsend , Deehan

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

Simply because he''s the most decorated player this club has had since Martin Peters - FACT.

[/quote]

I presume that you refer to Helveg , Pete ?

Having won trophies at other clubs does not mean you can just turn up each week and put the minimum effort in.I can only recall Helveg having a couple of good games for us - he was a major let down compared to the trumpeting that heralded his arrival and the trophies on his CV.

Plenty of other well decorated players have failed to make an impact on joining new clubs , off the top of my head -  George Weah at Chelsea , Mario Jardel at Bolton , Kluivert at Newcastle.

Just because you have a reputation , does not mean you can be excempt from criticism.