Pugin

Jack Reeve - Talk Norwich City

21 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We already had these players though. We are not the only club in the world who plays young players. In fact Chelsea had 5 or 6 youngish English or home grown players when they stuffed us recently 

I think you're doing a massive disservice and rewriting history. We had these young players but Farke played them and more than that, developed them.

In the time he's been in charge its very rare for a floating championship club to produce a Maddison, Buendia, Aarons,  Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell. Not to the level he coached them to, and had them playing that.

Certainly, you wouldn't have disregarded it as you just have in the summer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think you're doing a massive disservice and rewriting history. We had these young players but Farke played them and more than that, developed them.

In the time he's been in charge its very rare for a floating championship club to produce a Maddison, Buendia, Aarons,  Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell. Not to the level he coached them to, and had them playing that.

Certainly, you wouldn't have disregarded it as you just have in the summer.

I’m not disregarding it but other coaches and other clubs do it to. So the suggestion that another coach wouldn’t play our youth products is merely speculation. Frankly if the players are good then it’s a bit of a no brainier to play them. So yes Farke has been good in terms of having faith in them, can’t be denied, but so would many other coaches. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I’m not disregarding it but other coaches and other clubs do it to. So the suggestion that another coach wouldn’t play our youth products is merely speculation. Frankly if the players are good then it’s a bit of a no brainier to play them. So yes Farke has been good in terms of having faith in them, can’t be denied, but so would many other coaches. 

Its not just about playing the youngsters, its about when you play them and when not to play them. Farke's ability has been knowing when to hold them back and when to put them in. Not as easy a skill as you might think. As @hogesar says, Farke has developed them - it is not just a case of throwing them in a team, sink or swim. There is an art to it.

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

So how many other clubs of our size have produced / developed that amount of young talent within their first team over a 3 year period?

Youre making it sound incredibly common but for a club of our size and financial strength there really aren't that many examples over the past 15 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

Regarding Talk Norwich City, they do tend to be self-congratulatory and to assume that everyone loves them as much as they love themselves.

But in terms of content they could learn a lot from Benjamin Bloom, who is light years ahead of them in intelligence and football knowledge. (At last something Ipswich are better at than Norwich!) 

I don't think they are self congratulatory or love themselves , they're just a couple of diehard Norwich fans who wants the best for the club ,which is Farke going .😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

We already had these players though. We are not the only club in the world who plays young players. In fact Chelsea had 5 or 6 youngish English or home grown players when they stuffed us recently 

So who do you credit with the improvements then?

I like the "he sees what goes on in training so is better judged" line of thinking. AFAIK, EPL points are still awarded for performances on the pitch. Not for training. And the problem is that we are pretty c**p on the pitch. Hence only 2 points. So, since I assume training is presumably still designed to support match days, we must also be pretty c**p at training. Therefore we might be better off entirely disregarding anything in training since it is obviously not working. As a result we must be just as well placed as DF to judge what is going wrong. And since there are thousands of us, and only one of him, statistically we are more likely to be right. So actually, the conclusion must be that any consensus reached on this board is probably more likely to be accurate. Regardless of anything seen at Colney.

It's also interesting  to listen to Darren Gough talking about his time with England cricket. Apparently Freddie Flintoff, the best Eng cricketer of his generation, was so bad at training that had selection been based on that he would never have got a game.

So I'll continue to base my own opinions on what I see in point scoring meaningful match day performances. Which, at the moment, could perhaps be regarded as somewhat sub-optimal.

I don’t watch the channel and if I’m honest I find it mega cringey especially as it copies arsenal fan tv 

what i do commend is his and Chris’s b*llocks (not literally) 

it’s easy to sit at your keyboard or your mobile device and slate the management and players with no real knowledge or insight into the game other than your a fan of the club but it’s another to apply the same principle sitting in front of a camera and posting it on YouTube 

needless to say I haven’t watched the video but I agree with every thing that he said 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Can't quite believe this. I always thought once you were a fan of a club, that was it and you could never change.

I’ll 2nd you on that. 

7 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Our Fan of the Year is a Liverpool fan?

Uncle Fred is right; club’s a joke. 

He’s sort of done that thing in reverse where you get told if you don’t like the reality of our clubs current stature or chances of winning the Champions League then go support Liverpool. So not seen that before, pretty groundbreaking

Those who know, know.

I suspect that Jack is sufficiently close to just one or two of the players to have knowledge of certain situations within the club at the moment, and this has coloured his opinion. What he doesn't know, and equally I don't know, is Farke's side of the argument. And equally he doesn't know who is right and who is wrong. Jack may also know that one or two of the players think that Farke is being a ****, an opinion to which they are entitled.

• Like 1

The Reeves are desperate to sensationalise every aspect of our football club to milk it for likes. They have done some good work for charity and the like, but they don't speak for me and their understanding of the game is one dimensional as f00k

• Like 1

They always have to be the first on the bandwagon, and ironically for all their criticism of talkSPORT, they use their platform to do the same thing....get you clicking that like/retweet/subscribe button.

Barrel scraping journalism, if you can call it that 

• Like 2

This mornings latest offering from these goons 

is Andrew omobalidele our best defender this season? 

typical of the goals goals goals culture of the youth of today completely ignoring the two clean sheets and AO omission from both of those games 

16 hours ago, Leedscanary said:

Diehard?

D4D17980-0FA8-466A-A975-59D3772C2DEC.jpeg

Oh deary me. Hand back your Fan of the Year award Jack Reeve you absolute fraud !

Edited by TIL 1010

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Can't quite believe this. I always thought once you were a fan of a club, that was it and you could never change.

So a guy posts an opinion that some don't like & those people then spend time ridiculing him... I for one am glad he is now a City fan & not a Liverpool fan.

At least he goes to games...

• Like 1

On 02/11/2021 at 15:34, kirku said:

A pundit is a person who offers to mass media opinion or commentary on a particular subject area

The oxford definition of a pundit is "an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called upon to give their opinions to the public." 

when did Youtube content creators get given the rank of expert? 

17 hours ago, hogesar said:

So how many other clubs of our size have produced / developed that amount of young talent within their first team over a 3 year period?

Youre making it sound incredibly common but for a club of our size and financial strength there really aren't that many examples over the past 15 years.

Example... Southampton. Thanks.

17 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure where you draw the line RE: whether a player was developed by this club or we've used our financial muscle to steal talent from somewhere further down the pyramid, but if for arguments sake we do say that we get full credit for Maddison and Godfrey (as odd as that would be, when you pay £4m for a League One teenager and £1m for a League Two teenager... you already know they are very good).

But lets run with that anyway.... then Brighton currently have Sanchez in goal, Lamptey at full back and flogged Ben White for £55m, meanwhile their captain Lewis Dunk is a Brighton academy product and looks like he'll end up a one club man, at the other end of the pitch they've got Aaron Connolly, whilst Solly March is in his testimonial year. 

They have successfully produced players for their first team, they aren't in a rush to flog at the first sign of an eight figure offer  like us. Instead these players form an important part of their identity. 

If we're talking good recruitment then surely Brentford beat us hands down with their ability to consistently sell at a profit and adequately replace and polish up players, rinse and repeat. I wish our recruitment was as good as theirs, they are the the benchmark for smaller clubs when it comes to recruitment in my opinion, they are brilliant at spending money. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

12 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So a guy posts an opinion that some don't like & those people then spend time ridiculing him... I for one am glad he is now a City fan & not a Liverpool fan.

But with Lakey you know that, irrespective of what you think of his opinions, he’s definitely a passionate Norwich supporter and, dare I say it, not going on a business jaunt because he has to. 

Those doing their best to belittle the two Reeve boys might do well to appreciate it says far more about them than those they're having a pop at! In other words: "Criticising others is a dishonest way of praising yourself". Those who feel compelled to act that way often lack self-esteem - the very thing Jack and Chris (despite close family bereavements) demonstrate in abundance.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

He’s sort of done that thing in reverse where you get told if you don’t like the reality of our clubs current stature or chances of winning the Champions League then go support Liverpool. So not seen that before, pretty groundbreaking

How old is he in that picture?

I'll happily admit that growing up until I was about 12 I was a Newcastle fan- I first started following football when I was about 6 or 7 and they were top of the league and kids are often glory hunters.

The idea that he's not a proper fan as he liked Liverpool when he was younger is...weird.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'll happily admit that growing up until I was about 12 I was a Newcastle fan- I first started following football when I was about 6 or 7 and they were top of the league and kids are often glory hunters.

The idea that he's not a proper fan as he liked Liverpool when he was younger is...weird.

It's not relevant that he grew up supporting Liverpool (if indeed he did). What isn't impressive is his calling his own channel 'the biggest and the best' of the Norwich vlogs at the start of his latest offering. Benjamin Bloom, for instance, would never do anything so crass because he has a real respect for football and does not create his material for his own self-aggrandisement.

Jack and Chris have done a very good job at getting interesting people onto their vlog and should be praised for that. Apart from that, though, their channel offers very little in the way of serious analysis.  

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Well if you were a Newcastle supporter then I guess some ribbing about another supporters former allegiance would get your back up a little as you can relate to it. It’s to be expected to be honest, people have always had stick for changing clubs unless they’re 6 years old or whatever so it’s not surprising really. I remember some of my school mates at least temporarily changing allegiances and becoming Norwich when we did what we did in the early 90’s, some stuck with it and the majority went back to Spurs etc.

52 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So do I - when I can. I always thought supporters were born not made, that it runs in families etc, but then that is probably considered old fashioned. Seems to young people these days, anything goes. 

17 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Those doing their best to belittle the two Reeve boys might do well to appreciate it says far more about them than those they're having a pop at! In other words: "Criticising others is a dishonest way of praising yourself". Those who feel compelled to act that way often lack self-esteem - the very thing Jack and Chris (despite close family bereavements) demonstrate in abundance.  

Indeed, or as Ricky Gervais once said - 'far better to produce something that gets criticised than to produce nothing and criticise'

I can take or leave the Reeves, some good content, some not so good and I generally wouldn't take an hour out of my day to watch two young lads talk 'football ****' as my dear old Mum would say.

During lockdown some of the interviews with ex players were pretty good and revealing and the away-day vlogs they used to do were decent.

I've not watched TNC enough to know the answer to this, but do they ever claim to offer any proper insight over and above just being fans?

• Like 1