Pugin

Jack Reeve - Talk Norwich City

I rarely watch this Youtube channel as I have in the past been irritated by its self-satisfaction (largely not Jack's fault). But I have just spent 15 minutes listening to the most recent posting, calling for Daniel to be dismissed. I expected to be annoyed by it and was mindful that Jack went anti-Farke once before, round about the 1-1 draw at Ipswich.

Jack's a young journalist with a pleasant broadcast persona, unavoidably influenced by the milieu in which he operates and the strident fan voices he hears, which mostly will be uninformed, immature and without due context. Ie today's social media.

BUT, after that less than glowing introduction, I have to say that I agreed with virtually everything Jack said and applaud the way he reasoned his argument - the magnificent display by Onabamidele, the overly harsh treatment of Gilmour and Cantwell for denting Daniel's pride, the slowness of Krul to get the ball moving, the lack of shape in midfield on Sunday. I disagree on Sargent and thought that Rashica looked a player on Sunday, for the first time. But that can be turned into a criticism as whereas Leeds isolated Raphina on Onabamidele, we never tried to reciprocate at the other end. (It hurts to think about what Raphina would have done to Gibson).

The only thing missing from Jack's comments was recognition of the size of Daniel's task, and due regard for the sensitivity of even talking about dismissing a very human character who has done so much for us. With Jack's size of audience I would never feel comfortable doing it.

So with a heavy heart I have to say that Jack is almost undoubtedly right and that his reasoning is sound. (A dismissal might remove one problem but of course it creates another).

As a sideline, I looked at the figures sitting behind Daniel on Sunday and for the first time realised the extent to which Daniel is on his own, for better or worse.

I could understand it if Daniel is given three more games, but the expression 'hoping against hope' has never been more apt. Equally, a gentlemanly parting would not disappoint me. These are sad times.

It's all very well to point the finger at Farke and highlight his shortcomings. But you have to ask the question: how on earth do you think his replacement would actually improve things in the short and medium term?

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's all very well to point the finger at Farke and highlight his shortcomings. But you have to ask the question: how on earth do you think his replacement would actually improve things in the short and medium term?

For me, better drilled defensive drilling and organisation a switch to actually looking to press opposition teams before the cross the halfway line, giving players like Cantwell a clean slate to come in from the cold are a few short term improvements we could see with a new manager. They won't be turning water into wine but I've seen plenty of managers come into clubs and get better results with the existing players.  

1 minute ago, king canary said:

For me, better drilled defensive drilling and organisation a switch to actually looking to press opposition teams before the cross the halfway line, giving players like Cantwell a clean slate to come in from the cold are a few short term improvements we could see with a new manager. They won't be turning water into wine but I've seen plenty of managers come into clubs and get better results with the existing players.  

That's fair. But do you think that would be enough for survival?

If not, do you not think that Farke would be the most likely to be able to repeat his success at Championship level?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Someone with EPL managerial experience to set the team up to be more competitive, less likely to let in goals but still want to play football.

IMHO the only person who might save us and is a realistic option is Roy Hodgson.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Petriix said:

That's fair. But do you think that would be enough for survival?

If not, do you not think that Farke would be the most likely to be able to repeat his success at Championship level?

I think the likelihood of his repeating depends somewhat on how this season goes.

Right now we are on course to finish with the lowest Premier League points total ever. If we get to the end of this season with only two or three wins and points total in the mid teens I think confidence would be so shot that Farke may struggle to turn the team around mentally. When Derby went down with 11 points they finished 18th the season after. While I don't think that would happen, I don't see it as a given that he'd be able to get players to buy in a replicated previous successes, especially without players like Buendia and Cantwell. There is also the issue that the longer we let this sort of performance go on in this league the more it hurts the value of players like Cantwell and Aarons and makes us a less attractive prospect to potential signings. 

If we did stick with him and we somewhat rallied as the season went on (lets say 6 wins and 4 or 5 draws) and he is able to get Tzolis, Sargent and others playing then maybe. But right now I don't see it happening.

Who says Cantwell has fallen out with Farke?  For all we know the issues around Cantwell may be totally explainable and the way he is being managed correct. Likewise, who says there is a problem with Gilmour?  He is a squad member like all the others. So he's done well for scotland - so have Adam Idah and Omobamidele for Ireland and they are not picked much either. I don't suppose Cantwell or Gilmour are happy not being included, but we do have good players apart from them. Divisiveness is not helpful.

I get a bit fed up with people trying to see divides when there may not be there and when what we need is togetherness.  It's just part of people trying to get what they want - all part of the "waah, we don't like it" mentality.  Every Norwich fan is concerned and hurting to see the club struggle but people like Jack Reeve who have a public profile ought to be a bit more careful about casting aspersions where there may not be any.

Get behind the manager. Be helpful to what he needs to do for the next match, not unhelpful. It is a Norwich match, we want them to win....we should want Daniel to win too. And if he wins on Saturday, then that is the start of a resurgence and improvement for this season. Stop the rumour mongering and trying to find division where there might not be - and if there are any conflicts - just remember Oliveira, the way Emi responded to being left out by buckling down and doing well, all down to Farke's firm handling of the situation. Farke is an excellent manager, we will only do worse if he goes.

• Like 2

The ideal manager so get a tone out of this limited squad is Chris Hughton, he would get them grinding out some points, exciting no way but would be more effective than Farke 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Who says Cantwell has fallen out with Farke?  For all we know the issues around Cantwell may be totally explainable and the way he is being managed correct. Likewise, who says there is a problem with Gilmour?  He is a squad member like all the others. So he's done well for scotland - so have Adam Idah and Omobamidele for Ireland and they are not picked much either. I don't suppose Cantwell or Gilmour are happy not being included, but we do have good players apart from them. Divisiveness is not helpful.

I get a bit fed up with people trying to see divides when there may not be there and when what we need is togetherness.  It's just part of people trying to get what they want - all part of the "waah, we don't like it" mentality.  Every Norwich fan is concerned and hurting to see the club struggle but people like Jack Reeve who have a public profile ought to be a bit more careful about casting aspersions where there may not be any.

Get behind the manager. Be helpful to what he needs to do for the next match, not unhelpful. It is a Norwich match, we want them to win....we should want Daniel to win too. And if he wins on Saturday, then that is the start of a resurgence and improvement for this season. Stop the rumour mongering and trying to find division where there might not be - and if there are any conflicts - just remember Oliveira, the way Emi responded to being left out by buckling down and doing well, all down to Farke's firm handling of the situation. Farke is an excellent manager, we will only do worse if he goes.

Something’s  cracked off that’s for sure. If it was caught on film you’d still not believe it. 

I thought that was a very erudite piece.

One thing that did stand out and get me thinking is the mention of Daniel Farke's new four year contract and that fact that he is unlikely to fall on his own sword. With the service that he has given this club, and as Jack put it, two of the best season's in Norwich history, he is fully deserving of the large payoff he would receive should he be sacked. It would also stop his legacy being tarnished further.

However, as the club seem reluctant to pay back taxpayers money provided to pay for furloughing staff, despite announcing record profits, I think the cash is more important to them than Farke's Legacy. So we will end up with another situation like with Worthington, where Farke is hounded out of the club by disillusioned fans.

The board could show Farke more loyalty, by protecting him from this, rather than trying to penny pinch.

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Nothing to see here.  All’s well in LDC’s world and Farke is an excellent manager in the Premier League.  No-one else could possibly do any better than 23 points from 48 games and a -74 goal difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Pick the right team

Get the players believing in themselves and changing the atmosphere around the club and amongst the players

Get us going for it a bit more in games.

I love DF and what he has done here and it'll be a sad day when he leaves but that time is now while there are enough games to give a new man a chance to perform a miracle. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but Adrian Durham and Darren Gough were discussing the situation with Cantwell last night. As an aside, Durham mentioned that Grant Hanley had commented about the amount of time they spent in meeting rooms. It led me to wonder if part of the problem is too much rigid theory, and adherence to it, which is bamboozling the team and making what is intrinsically a simple game too complex. DF does appear to to be a stats fan, and it might help to explain what appears to be a lack of spontaneity at times.....

Love TNC and their sense of fun during last season with HMS **** This League was hilarious. Both Jack and Chris are good value and bleed yellow 'n green; they're fans and express from the heart. I don't always agree with their views and they often disagree with one another which is how it should be. If you watch the previous vid Jack put out he was really torn on whether Farke should stay or go, the same as many of us , and like many of us after the Leeds loss his agonising was put to bed but backed this with sound reasoning; Farke's Premier League record is totally abysmal and enough is enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

By playing the best players in their preferred position. By getting Cantwell playing again. By cutting out stupid mistakes. The list is endless

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Sheer speculation.

Not really... one says one thing the other says another (fit / unfit etc). Playing with the U23's and not the senior squad. Going off to London and then playing. Its obvious that there is a massive issue.

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Nothing to see here.  All’s well in LDC’s world and Farke is an excellent manager in the Premier League.  No-one else could possibly do any better than 23 points from 48 games and a -74 goal difference.

Those stats are pretty brutal, definitely not good enough, then you have to look at the players too and our core for both times up have been championship level at best. The youngsters have out performed the experienced players…..

Can’t stand listening to the guy and the tripe he spouts. His YouTube channel is ‘oh look at me’, look at how intelligent and intellectual I am. He’s about 12 years old and talks as if he’s watched Norwich for the last 30 years. Can’t take the guy seriously I’m afraid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Can’t stand listening to the guy and the tripe he spouts. His YouTube channel is ‘oh look at me’, look at how intelligent and intellectual I am. He’s about 12 years old and talks as if he’s watched Norwich for the last 30 years. Can’t take the guy seriously I’m afraid.

I am in the same camp for the same reasons  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Agree, although he’s infinitely more tolerable than the other bloke whose ego is the size of the moon and does some seriously ar$e-licking when he’s got ex-players in the room. Absolute cringe.

Each to their own though.

I think it's pretty much getting to the point, at whatever side/part of the fence you are sitting on, you cannot ignore the facts in Farke's PL stats. No win in 10 is bad enough, but looking back into the last PL season his figures are truly woeful. And you can't blame the poor investment this time, they spent money, nothing to hide behind now they have to start getting results

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Well the bloke is an Ipswich fan, so he probably is enjoying it tbf

56 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

If he is he's done well to hold down a job at the Racing Post 😀

3 hours ago, Petriix said:

Confidence and leadership. That team needs someone to motivate them and give them some belief. Sometimes it needs a new voice and a change to do that.

Plus tactics and ability to influence a game. I don’t think at PL level Farke’s ever shown a consistent ability to get those right. A new guy might.

Regardless I think there’s probably too much damage done already this season so you need someone with at least half an eye on their ability to get us back up.

Just now, Monty13 said:

Confidence and leadership. That team needs someone to motivate them and give them some belief. Sometimes it needs a new voice and a change to do that.

Plus tactics and ability to influence a game. I don’t think at PL level Farke’s ever shown a consistent ability to get those right. A new guy might.

Regardless I think there’s probably too much damage done already this season so you need someone with at least half an eye on their ability to get us back up.

So basically we would change the manager every few months (a la Watford?) to try and keep that momentum and motivation up? I understand the thought, but I think that's just sticking a plaster on a 15 inch wound.