Sign in to follow this  
Thingy

Get Tony Pulis to help if serious about staying in the PL

I agree with sgncfc, give Farke an assistant like Graeme Jones to work with. Daniel seems to have trouble getting the right players actually playing together but not his fault with Webbers purchases. If you don't have the correct tools the job becomes much harder to execute

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Howe won't leave the south coast again.

I bet he would if some 'big' club offered him a massive contract.  Howe thinks very highly of himself (too highly IMHO) which is why he turned down Celtic.  I very much doubt he would come to NCFC.

Too late.  Even if Pulis got us a 0-0 in every game (and let's face it, we'd take that right now) we'd still go down.

Edited by benchwarmer

Pullis?! Never! Looks like Newcastle are getting Unai Emery but if given the option of Pullis, i'd rather have **** Emery. Ooh you are awful.

2 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

Pullis?! Never! Looks like Newcastle are getting Unai Emery but if given the option of Pullis, i'd rather have **** Emery. Ooh you are awful.

The dream management team 

Emery, with Kinnear as assistant 

EBbvVnmXYAApUgq.jpeg.jpg.3b3cca6582503337ec28622121a9afd1.jpg

“I think that season and working under Pulis helped me a lot, changed the way I approached the game, I realised I had to be a bit more aggressive.” Patrick Bamford.

“I can’t speak highly enough of Tony,” says Bamford “Working under Tony helped me a lot, it changed the way I approached the game and made me realise I had to be a lot more aggressive.” Patrick Bamford.

I think Pulis would help make Sargent a better player.

Edited by Thingy
  • Like 1

Pulis also got the best out of Ben Gibson leading to his £15m sale to Burnley:

Gibson said: "You know what he brings - organisation and structure. He's pulled everyone together and galvanised the club if you like.

“He has everyone heading in the one direction and working hard for him, the club and for themselves. He's been great. You can speak with him but you certainly know who is boss and the work he demands. His methods are clear and the lads enjoy working for him.”

"we want to thank Ben, an absolutely fantastic professional," Pulis said "In the six months I've had at this football club he's as good a professional as I've ever worked with and I spoke to Sean Dyche and Dychey's got a real, top, top player."

4 hours ago, Thingy said:

Pulis also got the best out of Ben Gibson leading to his £15m sale to Burnley:

Gibson said: "You know what he brings - organisation and structure. He's pulled everyone together and galvanised the club if you like.

“He has everyone heading in the one direction and working hard for him, the club and for themselves. He's been great. You can speak with him but you certainly know who is boss and the work he demands. His methods are clear and the lads enjoy working for him.”

"we want to thank Ben, an absolutely fantastic professional," Pulis said "In the six months I've had at this football club he's as good a professional as I've ever worked with and I spoke to Sean Dyche and Dychey's got a real, top, top player."

**** me, you've got to have taken a leave of your senses to suggest a manager who last led anyone to Premier League survival in 2016. His last job he didn't even last two months, and his job before that bottled it in the play offs and then couldn't even get into the play offs after that.

As we are witnessing, a very different managerial approach is required when trying to survive in the Premier League with players who are physically and skillfully inferior to the opposition, than when we were twice promoted from the Championship with the most skillful squad of players.

We lack the defensive basics of organisation, discipline and structure. Pulis is synonymous with providing those to a team. He has had tough jobs and yet has never been relegated as a player, coach or manager.

14 minutes ago, Thingy said:

As we are witnessing, a very different managerial approach is required when trying to survive in the Premier League with players who are physically and skillfully inferior to the opposition, than when we were twice promoted from the Championship with the most skillful squad of players.

We lack the defensive basics of organisation, discipline and structure. Pulis is synonymous with providing those to a team. He has had tough jobs and yet has never been relegated as a player, coach or manager.

Pulis has a track record but I’m not sure you’re being ambitious enough. I considered Ron Atkinson for a moment but then realised that John Beck is available and at just 67 clearly has a good few years left. If we could secure him and then install Dave Bassett and Joe Kinnear as advisers, there can be little doubt that we’d scrap, fight and show loads of passion. It’s a holy triumvirate. Delia won’t have the bottle though and will look for a cheap option. I’ve already told you it’s Russell Martin…

I don’t want Pulis but I do agree we need a coach with better organisational skills and a bit more of a fighter. Neil puts it very well in his recent interview. The things Farke is good at getting his teams to do are not necessarily the things that are most important for a bottom half premier league team 

Russell Martin wouldn't be a cheap option, we'd have to buy out his contract as well as his staff. But he wouldn't come anyway. Why should he? He's building up a reputation as a progressive coach for himself and Swansea look like they might be kicking on a bit now. They're a good club, perfect for him at the moment infact. He isn't going to want to come back here and have all the expectation and divided opinion he'd get from day one. He and Norwich are done and dusted, the twin testimonial with Wes was closure for both from both ends.

The job he'll really want is Brighton. If he continues to impress as does Potter, with the latter moving onwards and upwards in the next year to eighteen months, that's where Martin will end up. 

On 02/11/2021 at 14:28, Jim Smith said:

Although they actually ended up with 24 points (I think) despite not winning a game til January so he actually got them going in the second half of the season. 

Despite not winning a game until January? So you support replacing a manager who hasn't won a game at the start of November with a manager who didn't win a game until January?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

On 02/11/2021 at 13:33, Google Bot said:

image.png.dafebd915c304fb77f5d45eb442ab9c4.png

Don't let facts get in the way of your personal discrimination.  ^^

If there's a reason Pulis is out of a job, what's the reason for Farke being IN one? 

He had us playing mindless hoofball in a crucial game on Sunday, we can't even retain the ball, clueless in defence and complete lack of balls from management to stamp out errors.  I think people are confusing what he stands for, and what he's capable of delivering mid-relegation battle, this brand of football is no more attractive than Pulis or Allardyce yet it completely fails to deliver results.

We need to be attracting someone in the vein of Wilder or Howe (IMO), good prem league and championship experience, and work well with youngsters.  Which is our domain.

This is a good one.

18 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:
On 02/11/2021 at 12:33, Google Bot said:

We need to be attracting someone in the vein of Wilder or Howe (IMO), good prem league and championship experience, and work well with youngsters.  Which is our domain.

This is a good one.

image.thumb.png.159119281cc9689e8e84b28017bd6103.png

I think you need to go for a walk or something Little Yellow T1t.  Surely no-one can be that bored to be replying to posts from 2021?

Edited by Google Bot

Some quality archaeology work going on. I do appreciate the commitment to keeping old threads going.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

image.thumb.png.159119281cc9689e8e84b28017bd6103.png

I think you need to go for a walk or something Little Yellow T1t.  Surely no-one can be that bored to be replying to posts from 2021?

It's nothing personal. I pointed out that the mood about Farke was much more negative at the time of his sacking than the rose-tinted view favoured on here now, I said that there was stuff on here that supported that, and someone said to do it, so I had to follow through really.

I'm well-accustomed to finding information on the internet anyway, so it wasn't much effort. No more than 10 minutes.

8 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I said that there was stuff on here that supported that, and someone said to do it, so I had to follow through really.

You do realise that you're being continually baited, right?

It's uncomfortable reading if i'm honest, you come across as a very smart, grounded guy who clearly loves the club and I agree with most of what you post. 

Yet, here you are waving a ripped flag by it's broken stick that's been laying on the road-side since 2021.   Up to you to decide if it's time well spent, of course.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Google Bot said:

You do realise that you're being continually baited, right?

It's uncomfortable reading if i'm honest, you come across as a very smart, grounded guy who clearly loves the club and I agree with most of what you post. 

Yet, here you are waving a ripped flag by it's broken stick that's been laying on the road-side since 2021.   Up to you to decide if it's (mental?) time well spent, of course.

To be fair, in this case the discussion is all about mental attitudes to a very popular manager just before the time he was sacked. I don't think it is unreasonable in this case to go back as that's where the evidence is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

To be fair, in this case the discussion is all about mental attitudes to a very popular manager just before the time he was sacked. I don't think it is unreasonable in this case to go back as that's where the evidence is.

But it's without context, at least tag the person in who they are wanting to display an example to..   The question is, why run around like a puppet for someone who's most likely just baiting and trolling and who most likely gives zero ****s about the subject matter, anyway.

Just thinking for LYB, really.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

But it's without context, at least tag the person in who they are wanting to display an example to..   The question is, why run around like a puppet for someone who's most likely just baiting and trolling and who most likely gives zero ****s about the subject matter, anyway.

Just thinking for LYB, really.

Agree that it's somewhat without context, but would point out that the old thread provides a bit of its own.

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

^Absolutely this, compounded by the fact that we now have a situation where many people now won't hear a bad word against him, including people who were actually sources of bad words against him around the time he was sacked.

There's a very positive legacy from Farke's time in charge, but all the evidence suggests that he truly couldn't take us any further, in which case there really was no sense in repeating the same thing again and again when we weren't even remotely close to surviving in the Premier League. It's only just over a year later and we have a manager who has blown everyone away in his first coupld of league games, so definitely time to move on from Smith... but especially Farke.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

^Absolutely this, compounded by the fact that we now have a situation where many people now won't hear a bad word against him, including people who were actually sources of bad words against him around the time he was sacked.

There's a very positive legacy from Farke's time in charge, but all the evidence suggests that he truly couldn't take us any further, in which case there really was no sense in repeating the same thing again and again when we weren't even remotely close to surviving in the Premier League. It's only just over a year later and we have a manager who has blown everyone away in his first coupld of league games, so definitely time to move on from Smith... but especially Farke.

I wasn't keen on the sacking, I remember that. That said, by the standards of most regular members on here, I'm probably one of the most patient re. managerial upheavals and have indeed said I prefer to give a few windows to build a squad more in their image, so will generally comment on those lines. That changes if they lose the dressing room, and there's definitely something that Smith might - if not lost them in terms of motivation - certainly confused them at least.

Farke's weakness was that he just couldn't get us settled in the Premier League. But when you consider where we started four years ago, in some degree of financial trouble and a Maddison sale away from more severe issues, he did incredibly well to fashion a Championship-winning side in the first place and especially with three youth-team products as regular members of the back four in Lewis, Godfrey and Aarons. I don't think any of us saw that first Farke Championship title coming. And I'm sure a decent proportion of us were thinking we'd not come straight back up second time around after the expected hangover.

Certainly know I didn't. I remember @NeymarSmith quoting me as my forecast was "lose the play-off semi-final, probably on pens after coming fifth!"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Little did we know we were then days away from appointing Dean Smith.

Thank God we moved on from Tony Pullis.... 

Hearing  Birdyo defend  Pulis would be funny though. 😇

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I wasn't keen on the sacking, I remember that. That said, by the standards of most regular members on here, I'm probably one of the most patient re. managerial upheavals and have indeed said I prefer to give a few windows to build a squad more in their image, so will generally comment on those lines. That changes if they lose the dressing room, and there's definitely something that Smith might - if not lost them in terms of motivation - certainly confused them at least.

Farke's weakness was that he just couldn't get us settled in the Premier League. But when you consider where we started four years ago, in some degree of financial trouble and a Maddison sale away from more severe issues, he did incredibly well to fashion a Championship-winning side in the first place and especially with three youth-team products as regular members of the back four in Lewis, Godfrey and Aarons. I don't think any of us saw that first Farke Championship title coming. And I'm sure a decent proportion of us were thinking we'd not come straight back up second time around after the expected hangover.

Certainly know I didn't. I remember @NeymarSmith quoting me as my forecast was "lose the play-off semi-final, probably on pens after coming fifth!"

This is the brilliance of the Wagner appointment, in my view, because there are so many factors that explain why he has hit the ground running so outstandingly well. I'm very optimistic that we'll be back to the Premier League next year, if not this one, and we'll have a better chance of survival once there, not just because of Wagner, but also with the resources and finance the Atanassios are bringing to the table. It has to be said that I'd moved from being confident things would turn around to hoping they'd turn around by the end with Smith.

It's really interesting listening to Wagner's post-match talks; there's something slightly cooler about him compared to Farke; I could imagine him being truly ruthless in a way  that I never really got with Farke, which is maybe what was missing with Farke in terms of success at the next level.

More generally with regard to sackings, I remain completely against mid-season sackings on general principle. I recognise this one has been a success, but the one before that was widely viewed a failure, but generally I think the constant toing and froing with every manager only does damage; introduce managerial transfer windows to get rid of the uncertainty.

56 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Ah kudos to ya man for taking it well. 

Let's hope we smash it and get to promotion on penalties, and I'll buy you a pint on the wembley day! 👊

• Like 1

Just now, NeymarSmith said:

Ah kudos to ya man for taking it well. 

Let's hope we smash it and get to promotion on penalties, and I'll buy you a pint on the wembley day! 👊

Couldn't be more pleased to be proven wrong, to be fair - and anyone looking at the stats for teams that went down to the Champs would have seen it was a pretty uncommon feat that Farke pulled out!