Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Just had the maddest idea

What if we offered Farke as sporting director role at the club ready to replace Webber end of season, and equipped him with the job of working with a replacement and us writing this season off with the sole aim to build players for Championship and beyond?

It just dawned on me posting in another thread here and thinking about how Farke's aim in the footballing world was to be a sporting director and fell into management by mistake at Lippstadt.  Perhaps he would welcome the move(?).

It would take a lot of pressure off the players, and enable a new man to come in and maybe pick up points in the process as we develop.  He knows first hand what's needed, and we retain his championship experience.

Is that just crazy talk?  All the player we've signed are long-term projects, and it seems Farke does have a passion and desire for the club, It just seems to fit to me and we don't have that gruelling tasks of waving him goodbye. 

And no I've not been drinking.

Edited by Google Bot

With his tendency towards favouritism, falling out with and stonewalling talented players? I’m not sure I’d trust his judgement at all. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Google Bot said:

What if we offered Farke as sporting director role at the club ready to replace Webber end of season, and equipped him with the job of working with a replacement and us writing this season off with the sole aim to build players for Championship and beyond?

It just dawned on me posting in another thread here and thinking about how Farke's aim in the footballing world was to be a sporting director and fell into management by mistake at Lippstadt.  Perhaps he would welcome the move(?).

It would take a lot of pressure off the players, and enable a new man to come in and maybe pick up points in the process as we develop.  He knows first hand what's needed, and we retain his championship experience.

Is that just crazy talk?  All the player we've signed are long-term projects, and it seems Farke does have a passion and desire for the club, It just seems to fit to me and we don't have that gruelling tasks of waving him goodbye. 

And no I've not been drinking.

Why?  Surely if what’s laughingly called the Board of Directors wanted to continue with the current model, then if Webber was to go they’d want to replace him with someone who has a proven record of achieving in that role.  In addition the last thing any new manager would want would be his predecessor getting in the way.  There’s no place for misguided sentimentality in Premier League football.

Edited by Naturalcynic

Completely different job Im afraid, something that takes time to learn and develop. Farke also probably sees his future as a top 4 German league manager in his aspirations, I think becoming a Sporting Director of Norwich would be a step down.

17 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Completely different job Im afraid, something that takes time to learn and develop. Farke also probably sees his future as a top 4 German league manager in his aspirations, I think becoming a Sporting Director of Norwich would be a step down.

Wasn't he a Sporting Director at Lippstadt? I can't see it anyway, the Webber's are well in with Delia and Michael. They were all eating out at Merchant's of Spice 2 a while back, including a child, so not really a business meeting, just some good friends having a knees up.

9 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Wasn't he a Sporting Director at Lippstadt? I can't see it anyway, the Webber's are well in with Delia and Michael. They were all eating out at Merchant's of Spice 2 a while back, including a child, so not really a business meeting, just some good friends having a knees up.

Hope they paid with a club card? Back to Wetherspoons 2 for £10 next season. 

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

To be fair i've had a meal with my employee's too but it doesn't mean you wouldn't make the required decisions to sack them or whatever, if that's the angle you're using.

I once went out for a 'business' meal at the invitation of my manager.  I thought it all went very well.  We exchanged ideas and had an open conversation about things that were ok and things that were not.  At a meeting with the owner the next day the **** threw me under the bus! I no longer work for that company.  I no longer work at all.  Hurrah I scored a goal!  🙂

7 hours ago, The Bunny said:

With his tendency towards favouritism, falling out with and stonewalling talented players? I’m not sure I’d trust his judgement at all. 

This. I was up for the idea a year or two back when first mentioned, but I fear he's far too stubborn and holds grudges. 

44 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Neil ADAMS will be well pleased having served his apprenticeship with the club!

Perhaps Neil Adams can take up the role of Coach? His CV is far more credible.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

They were all eating out at Merchant's of Spice 2 a while back, including a child

Wait, they're cannibals?  This changes everything! 🙂

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Wait, they're cannibals?  This changes everything! 🙂

It's one of the potential climate change solutions likely to come out of Cop26.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

They ate a child???? 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

To be fair i've had a meal with my employee's too but it doesn't mean you wouldn't make the required decisions to sack them or whatever, if that's the angle you're using.

There's a strongly-held opinion that the close relationship Delia and Michael had with Worthington prolonged his period in charge, extending to his occasional usage of their London flat. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing has happened here, particularly in a situation where there are two culpable parties and you potentially need to pull the trigger on one. Unlike most football club owners, Delia and Michael are actually normal human beings and will be affected by that sort of thing.

And I see my boss socially as well (although I've never bought my kids to a meal with him, in fact, after nearly 7 years working for him and 3 years working with him at a previous company, he has only met one of my kids and that was this year) but it's another example where you can't compare football with "normal" workplaces. In the latter, the vast, vast majority of people leave jobs through choice, redundancy or retirement. In football management, the vast, vast majority of people leave jobs through being sacked or the misnomer of "mutual termination".