Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Disappointment leads to a myopic disease ….

How can 2 months ago a coach who was widely hailed as our best ever, become so unpopular? The man that took a club from mid table mediocrity in the championship, to two titles, so widely derided amongst city fans. I can only put it down to some weird myopic disease caused by over expectation and disapppointment! 
I appreciate that I am fast becoming in a minority against this tide of disease, with symptoms such as erratic demand for resignation, screams of “he must go” and torrents of vile abuse and disrespect. Our performance this year was highly predictable, take away your best two players (Skipp & Buendia) buy half a new team, and then try and compete in the best league in the world, on a few million in a billionaires paradise. Come on wake up city fans - you have created unrealistic expectations! We are a small team, with outstanding values punching well above our level. ( Brentford can do it I hear the cry, well let’s see!! Sheffield United had the same first season) 

I hate this vile bilge coming out of our supporters, disrespectful to a man that has brought us more success than we could have imagined. And with his departure, which will inevitably happen, (at the same time we will lose the best sporting director ) because the disease will be too much to resist. However we will end up in mid table championship mediocrity, or worse again. And only then maybe a few of our myopic supporters will wake up and recognise what their revolution caused!
I am sure an unpopular view as this myopic disease is pretty powerful in creating delusion 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

How can 2 months ago a coach who was widely hailed as our best ever, become so unpopular?

I Was frustrated with him last season personally, he had such a strong squad yet we barely took anyone to the sword, had issues with players such as Cantwell and Emi, which still goes on today.  And was clear what would happen in the prem when we went against the likes of Watford.

Once we secured promotion we had plenty of time to try Sorensen in place of Skipp to see what he's capable of in that position but he wasted that opportunity.   I was saying so at the time to all those around me too.

He's yet to prove any success without a player of Emi's class - demonstrated now, and every time Emi was suspended or injured in games. 

I'm not going to disrespect the guy, and I refuse to boo at the end of the match.  But I can have doubts without being labelled as 'myopic'.  Show me Farke success without Emi and I'd put more credit to him solely, but you can't.

Now those concerns are cruelly evident to the footballing world.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Rhino1 said:

How can 2 months ago a coach who was widely hailed as our best ever, become so unpopular? The man that took a club from mid table mediocrity in the championship, to two titles, so widely derided amongst city fans. I can only put it down to some weird myopic disease caused by over expectation and disapppointment! 
I appreciate that I am fast becoming in a minority against this tide of disease, with symptoms such as erratic demand for resignation, screams of “he must go” and torrents of vile abuse and disrespect. Our performance this year was highly predictable, take away your best two players (Skipp & Buendia) buy half a new team, and then try and compete in the best league in the world, on a few million in a billionaires paradise. Come on wake up city fans - you have created unrealistic expectations! We are a small team, with outstanding values punching well above our level. ( Brentford can do it I hear the cry, well let’s see!! Sheffield United had the same first season) 

I hate this vile bilge coming out of our supporters, disrespectful to a man that has brought us more success than we could have imagined. And with his departure, which will inevitably happen, (at the same time we will lose the best sporting director ) because the disease will be too much to resist. However we will end up in mid table championship mediocrity, or worse again. And only then maybe a few of our myopic supporters will wake up and recognise what their revolution caused!
I am sure an unpopular view as this myopic disease is pretty powerful in creating delusion 

How can you justify blaming the fans for this absolute embarrassing crap on the pitch. If you have ever been married and divorced you would realise that it is possible to have absolute love and respect for someone only for some time in the future to think that same person has turned into an absolute tw^t

Edited by Mullet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I Was frustrated with him last season personally, he had such a strong squad yet we barely took anyone to the sword, had issues with players such as Cantwell and Emi, which still goes on today.  And was clear what would happen in the prem when we went against the likes of Watford.

Once we secured promotion we had plenty of time to try Sorensen in place of Skipp to see what he's capable of in that position but he wasted that opportunity.   I was saying so at the time to all those around me too.

He's yet to prove any success without a player of Emi's class - demonstrated now, and every time Emi was suspended or injured in games. 

I'm not going to disrespect the guy, and I refuse to boo at the end of the match.  But I can have doubts without being labelled as 'myopic'.  Show me Farke success without Emi and I'd put more credit to him solely, but you can't.

Solid argument, logically argued, I respect your view entirely. However, just cast yourself back 4 years and consider the garbage you were watching in the early days of Farke! And how he spun that into a team! The premier league is an unforgiving land! 

9 minutes ago, Mullet said:

How can you justify blaming the fans for this absolute embarrassing crap on the pitch. If you have ever been married and divorced you would realise that it is possible to have absolute love and respect for someone only for some time in the future to think that same person has turned into an absolute cu^t

Eloquent - if you read carefully ( perhaps too many big words for you, sorry!) I am not blaming the fans for what’s happening on the pitch, Just the emotional, lacking perspective, responses of it!  

6 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

However, just cast yourself back 4 years and consider the garbage you were watching in the early days of Farke! And how he spun that into a team!

He is without doubt a club legend, because you have to include the squads that played under each manager as package. Holt & Hoolahan where as much part of Lamberts success, for example.

If Emi was our magic, then he's played his part in bringing him through and working a system that brings out the best in him.

I just feel that Farke is almost too good for what we need, it's a relegation battle we face.  Whereas he's displayed that given special players, his brand of football works.  But we just don't have that calibre at this level.

Sadly, we won't have it at Championship either unless we see some blossoming this season.  We have to go through January and Summer windows trying to prevent an exodus of our better players, this combined with a sporting director who'll be leaving in the final window with the chance of him scouting our talent at another club is not too encouraging.

That's why I'd like to see a change, personally.  I think the pair of them will be off if we go down anyway, and many players too.  It's as though we need to establish a new chapter before that leak breaks into a flood.

There is a justifiable criticism that Farke built his game to be a bit too reliant on one player in Buendia, and what we're seeing is a scramble to get a team to gel. At the same time, Farke also helped keep Buendia's head screwed on to the point he earned that move and a chance to, at least in theory, strengthen across the board.

22 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

Eloquent - if you read carefully ( perhaps too many big words for you, sorry!) I am not blaming the fans for what’s happening on the pitch, Just the emotional, lacking perspective, responses of it!  

Don't flatter yourself I'm just as eloquent as you are. You are being pedantic about my original reply.  You are blaming the fans reaction to the crap playing out on the pitch and somehow suggesting we will be responsible when the team are languishing mid table table in the championship. It's been said before many times football is a results business, the team are not getting the results in fact performances are in no way good enough. Fans are in their right to express frustration and anger when they feel let down. 

Edited by Mullet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhino1 said:

Strange - I wouldn't describe finishing just two places outside the play offs in 2017 as 'mid table mediocrity'. I would venture to suggest you're playing rather hard and loose with facts to suit your pro Farke agenda. 

As for 'revolution' my God! The proletariat who attend matches have yet to 'turn' (certainly in the sense of 'Farke Out' / 'Sack the Board' chants) displaying only a sullen air of resignation. If that's your idea of a 'revolution', well, of course you're entitled to your view but it seems a very strange one I must say. 

17 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Strange - I wouldn't describe finishing just two places outside the play offs in 2017 as 'mid table mediocrity'. I would venture to suggest you're playing rather hard and loose with facts to suit your pro Farke agenda. 

As for 'revolution' my God! The proletariat who attend matches have yet to 'turn' (certainly in the sense of 'Farke Out' / 'Sack the Board' chants) displaying only a sullen air of resignation. If that's your idea of a 'revolution', well, of course you're entitled to your view but it seems a very strange one I must say. 

Well said, the OP is simply trying to gratify herself such that if the team struggle in the championship next year which is entirely possible that she can say there you are "I told you so" the myopic disease caused this. 

28 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Look around you, look at social media forums such as TalkNorwichCity - practically lifting their pitchforks above their heads!!  I am delighted that there is a more sensible vein running through some of the Carrow Road faithful . 

also delighted Mullet is indeed a eloquent wordsmith after all, and not a coarse gutter snipe as his initial coarseness portrayed 

Daniel Farke is a very good manager at Championship level, unfortunately he is not good enough at Premier League level, his record at that level speaks for itself. Webber tried to trip out the same argument, but whatever way you try to slice it he is just not good enough at Premier League level, I take no pleasure in saying that as I like DF but it really is as simple as that..........

The best managers in Norwich City's history

1. Mike Walker

2. Dave Stringer

3. Ken Brown

4. John Bond

5. Paul Lambert

6. Archie Macaulay

7. Daniel Farke

8. Ron Saunders

9. Nigel Worthington

10. Chris Hughton

But to the OP: those expectations weren't created by the fans. They were created by Stuart Webber and Farke himself, both of whom expected to stay in this league this season.

10 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

You sir are the disrespectful one. You seem to forget the success brought to the club by managers such as Saunders, Walker, Worthington, Lambert and the rest! Farke has only joined them to an extent. But at least those managers made a fist of staying in the prem! 

11 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

He’s not unpopular but he is coaching and managing us extremely badly. As he did last time we were in the premier league when his performance was equally disappointing. He was given a pass for that but this time has shown it was no blip/learning curve. He just is not good enough at what it takes at this level.

I don’t hate Farke and I call for his head reluctantly because if his championship achievements but we have to change it and we need to do it now. 

Nice one Rhino.

Farke's post match analysis said it all.

"We lacked quality at both ends of the pitch".

That is the issue. 

Pukki alone isn't enough.

Kabak has shown either a serious lack of judgement or simply a childish lack of seriousness. He has to be dropped. 

Our left backs can attack but cannot defend the channel in behind and numerous sides have profited from our weakness in this defensive area. 

Omobamidele for me is now a nailed on starter.

We have some decent wingers, once Farke can teach them how to pass to their team mates in the offensive areas they might even be useful. 

On the plus side Normann looks pretty decent not just in terms of talent but in terms of heart too.

The idea of "Farkeball" where we dominate possession in this league is for the birds unless we set up with Gilmour.

But Gilmour also poses a problem in that he is a player who can only play in front of himself and then only when we are in possession of the ball. 

He doesn't see runners or how play is unfolding and neither does he see the dangers in behind when out of possession.

In possession however he's magnificent. Perhaps he's an upgrade on Vracic. Perhaps not. 

3421 might be a better bet with Gilmour as a starter. Every player has flaws, Farke's job is to get the whole to become greater than the sum of it's parts. Let's hope he can as it seems unlikely that Webber will deliver what we really need (a striker to rival Pukki, a left back who can attack and defend and a CB who has the skills of Kabak but with the judgement of an adult).

In the absence of such players Farke has no other option than to find the answers on the training ground in the hope that his players will start giving some performances worthy of the shirt.

Holding out and trying to dominate possession makes some sense but we have to score goals.

Perhaps we should simply accept that we'll concede both goals and possession at this level with this squad and instead set ourselves up to outscore opponents.

I'd rather go down fighting a leave a trail of bloodied noses in our wake than to try and stem the tide and lose anyway. 

The game now is about winning 3 pointers. It's time we thought about outscoring opponents. Victories bring confidence, eliminate doubts and reinvigorate everyone. The first one cannot come soon enough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Google Bot said:

The criticism of Farke last season was absolutely misplaced. He delivered the best (results/points) season in the club's history, albeit in the second tier. But for Giannoulis's red card we would have certainly beaten Bournemouth and finished on 100 points. The entire point about not putting teams 'to the sword' was that we were building towards playing in a tougher league.

It is entirely fair to criticise him for this season. He came up with a plan which simply didn't work. With hindsight he should have stuck with the tried and tested system, but that could easily have failed too. Imagine if we'd been playing 4-2-3-1 but still losing all our matches 3-2, 4-3 etc. People would rightly be clamouring for a less naïve system with a better defensive balance.

Can you blame Farke for the squad balance, the lack of a defensive midfielder, that his new signings are failing to create or convert chances?

Regardless of the result against Leeds, there were actually some green shoots of hope; not really hope of survival, but hope that we can at least start to build some kind of functioning team. The goals we conceded were a piece of individual skill and a calamitous mistake (actually three: Kabak lost the ball, the midfield stood off, Krull let it in). We created some decent openings and there were a number of moments where a great chance didn't materialise out of a good position.

In comparison to the Brighton game, we were much more on the front foot. We had four attacking players on the pitch and seemed to find a reasonable balance. Maybe the end of the game with no creativity on display and no ideas is a warning that nothing is going to change, but Farke is clearly working hard to find the right formula.

The question is: do you really think that a new manager would be able to get this squad to stay up from this position of incoherence and low confidence? And if not, would the new manager be better placed to gain promotion again next season?

For me that's a 'no' and a 'no'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

The criticism of Farke last season was absolutely misplaced. He delivered the best (results/points) season in the club's history

"He" delivered, or a team with Emi Buendia delivered?

He has never delivered with Emi out of the squad, look for yourself:-

spacer.png

1 win in 15 games without Emi, We're 0 wins in 10 at the moment.   There's no coincidence here, we were 2 points from 17th at this point in 19/20 and that was considered a "bonus" season and expectations where for us to be poor. 

Until he proves otherwise these are the simple facts.  We won't do jack **** with him in the championship, he needs special players above the quality of those around us to perform - well, at that point most managers worth employing should be doing that so hardly a trait to be proud of.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

The question is: do you really think that a new manager would be able to get this squad to stay up from this position of incoherence and low confidence?

110% Of course they could if the change was made weeks ago.  Farke is the worst performing manager ever in this league, no-one is doing as bad as us across EPL/EFL.  We're horrendously bad.

He doesn't play our best players, he points the finger at individuals for collective mistakes, he's incapable of fielding one of Britain's hottest prospects, Players are too afraid to hit the ball long one week, then the next we're hoofing the ball up the field mindlessly.

He's so out of his depth it hurts, but it's not just him, it's "tier 6" Riemer sat next to him. 

There's absolutely no understanding of what's required and they lack the authority to command players like Kabak to stop taking such high risks in games - hence why we lost at the weekend.

If you truly think Farke is our best option moving forwards you need your head thoroughly examined.  As above, show me a run of games where he's done anything without Emi Buendia, and we can start to truly credit him for the performance. 

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

Can you blame Farke for the squad balance, the lack of a defensive midfielder, that his new signings are failing to create or convert chances?

Yes of course, do think he and Webber only speak at Christmas or something?

And i wouldn't call Normann or Gilmour lacking in any way, however we've got a player in Sorensen who has done no wrong who cannot get a look in at a position you've just highlighted yourself. 

Furthermore, he failed to even try Sorensen in that position when we had games to burn after securing promotion end of last season and played Skipp to the point of being injured. 

So 100% yes he's to blame for the balance and lack of getting on top of the defensive midfield position in the games at his disposal, it's one of my biggest bugbears.

Of course it’s the fans fault for having expectations higher than effectively being relegated by November and being first a National laughing stock and then a National irrelevance.

I suspect like many on here I move between the OP and Google Bot's responses depending on how I'm feeling and what I'm seeing.

The overriding feeling is of massive disappointment that "the best ever Championship team" could have become "the worst ever Premier League team" in such a short amount of time.

Seven of the players who started on Saturday were in both teams and one was on the bench. We have replaced Cantwell, Buendia and Skipp  with Rashica, Normann and Kabak.

If you put a £25m value on each of Skipp and Cantwell we've lost £83m worth of players and replaced them with £30m worth of players who have very different attributes.

Of course, the £25m Cantwell may well reappear at some point (if he signs that new contract), but I suspect he's played his last game for us.

Our biggest problem is that, for the first time since we signed Huckerby we have no creative talisman on the pitch and the players we have signed to try and find one are clearly not working out. I still have hope for Tzolis, but not in this league.

My sensible head tells me that this is not a management problem - it's a player problem. We need to get Gilmore in the team; I would love to see Cantwell back and in form.

But, ultimately, several of the players we thought were good enough for the PL aren't - and there isn't a huge amount we can do about that.

Edited by sgncfc
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I suspect like many on here I move between the OP and Google Bot's responses depending on how I'm feeling and what I'm seeing.

The overriding feeling is of massive disappointment that "the best ever Championship team" could have become "the worst ever Premier League team" in such a short amount of time.

Seven of the players who started on Saturday were in both teams and one was on the bench. We have replaced Cantwell, Buendia and Skipp  with Rashica, Normann and Kabak.

If you put a £25m value on each of Skipp and Cantwell we've lost £83m worth of players and replaced them with £30m worth of players who have very different attributes.

Of course, the £25m Cantwell may well reappear at some point (if he signs that new contract), but I suspect he's played his last game for us.

Our biggest problem is that, for the first time since we signed Huckerby we have no creative talisman on the pitch and the players we have signed to try and find one are clearly not working out. I still have hope for Tzolis, but not in this league.

My sensible head tells me that this is not a management problem - it's a player problem. We need to get Gilmore in the team; I would love to see Cantwell back and in form.

But, ultimately, several of the players we thought were good enough for the PL aren't - and there isn't a huge amount we can do about that.

The players we signed were for a system that we’ve thrown out of the window. We played with either a strong or creative 10, now there’s no-one to connect the strikers with the rest of the team. We’ve abandoned playing creative wide men in favour of Sargent up top who simply isn’t EPL quality. We’ve packed the midfield with players like Kenny and PLM who simply don’t have the attributes at this level.

I seriously believe if we’d just go back to 4231, tell Dimi and Aarons not to push up too much, play Norman and Sorenson behind Gilmour in the 10 and Tzolis, Rashica and Pukki up front we’d have more points than we do now.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

I think you demean the coaches we have had that have done better. Doesn't Lambert get siht now? Most are too young to remember Saunders, Bond and Brown. And Stringer gets hardly any respect.

But none of them went on forever and neither must DF if we are to move on from this mess.

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

"He" delivered, or a team with Emi Buendia delivered?

He has never delivered with Emi out of the squad, look for yourself:-

spacer.png

1 win in 15 games without Emi, We're 0 wins in 10 at the moment.   There's no coincidence here, we were 2 points from 17th at this point in 19/20 and that was considered a "bonus" season and expectations where for us to be poor. 

Until he proves otherwise these are the simple facts.  We won't do jack **** with him in the championship, he needs special players above the quality of those around us to perform - well, at that point most managers worth employing should be doing that so hardly a trait to be proud of.

110% Of course they could if the change was made weeks ago.  Farke is the worst performing manager ever in this league, no-one is doing as bad as us across EPL/EFL.  We're horrendously bad.

He doesn't play our best players, he points the finger at individuals for collective mistakes, he's incapable of fielding one of Britain's hottest prospects, Players are too afraid to hit the ball long one week, then the next we're hoofing the ball up the field mindlessly.

He's so out of his depth it hurts, but it's not just him, it's "tier 6" Riemer sat next to him. 

There's absolutely no understanding of what's required and they lack the authority to command players like Kabak to stop taking such high risks in games - hence why we lost at the weekend.

If you truly think Farke is our best option moving forwards you need your head thoroughly examined.  As above, show me a run of games where he's done anything without Emi Buendia, and we can start to truly credit him for the performance. 

Yes of course, do think he and Webber only speak at Christmas or something?

And i wouldn't call Normann or Gilmour lacking in any way, however we've got a player in Sorensen who has done no wrong who cannot get a look in at a position you've just highlighted yourself. 

Furthermore, he failed to even try Sorensen in that position when we had games to burn after securing promotion end of last season and played Skipp to the point of being injured. 

So 100% yes he's to blame for the balance and lack of getting on top of the defensive midfield position in the games at his disposal, it's one of my biggest bugbears.

I don't buy the one-man-team concept. Buendia was great for us in the Championship, but our system wasn't just about him. Hard to replace - sure - but not impossible given the spending power we commanded in the summer.

Yes, Farke has made mistakes, this season. Most obvious with hindsight. But you can't really claim to know what, if anything, would have worked. Maybe a different manager would have done better, but I think the horse has already bolted. There isn't a particular rush to make a decision at this point.

Let's see what Farke does over the next couple of months. If he doesn't get the team playing well before Christmas then that would be the time to think about replacing him. No one is going to keep us up this season, so it has to be all about giving us the best chance of claiming our third consecutive Championship title. I would still guess that Farke would be the best man for that job, but we have plenty of time to let this play out.

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I don't buy the one-man-team concept. Buendia was great for us in the Championship, but our system wasn't just about him. Hard to replace - sure - but not impossible given the spending power we commanded in the summer.

So explain the 49% win rate vs 7% and how that form has continued, if not worsened, without Buendia.   Then we can talk

It doesn't matter if *you* choose to buy it or not, it's universal undisputable fact.   

Take Sarr from Watford and see what they're left with.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1