Mellow Yellow

The disease of 'more'

I state at the offset that I support Farke (and Webber, Delia etc). He has not become a bad manager overnight, in fact I go further and state that he is a great manager, one of the very best we have ever had at Norwich, both in terms of style-of-play and personality. Those that want him out should be careful what they wish for as the 'noise' may just force him to resign or to be sacked and we end up with somebody worse. Confidence is a big deal and we were dealt a blow by the early fixtures, unable to get up and running with the resultant lack of confidence it instills. Also, the premiership seems to result in the insidious, ego-driven, head-turning of certain players (i.e. Buendía, Cantwell) that can affect the whole atmosphere and culture around a club. Instead of heads-down, focusing on learning to be 'better' in order to take on the challenge of the premier league, they become self-serving and simply want 'more'. Alternative examples are model professionals such as Krul, Hanley, Pukki etc who show professionalism even when the chips are down, trying their hardest to put it right. Some of the new guys and the youngsters will inevitably take time to adapt to their team-mates and the rigours of the premiership, but we need to support them even when they struggle. I actually care little about all the so-called bad records that City are breaking; they are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. If anything it presents a focus, a challenge, to prove all the nay-sayers wrong. There are still 84 points to play for and I for one believe we can prove all the doubters wrong and that it might yet be Farke's greatest achievement. And if we fail so-be-it we just go down fighting and go again next season, stronger, better. Come on City!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I am not greedy, I do no seek to win the premiership or to even be in it year on year. What I do expect though is that what ever league we play in we constantly improve and we are competitive. Sadly since project restart our premier league form has been nothing short of an embarrassment. The way the players simply downed tools in those last 10 games after the restart was a disgrace and that can only come an apathy with those in charge. The start of this season is again nothing short of a joke. We have not progressed forward in any meaningful way and in my eyes are worse in every department across the pitch than both the season that have gone before. Deluded team selection, baffling tactics, inability to coach a defensive unit, inability to form a cohesive attacking unit. I feel Farke has reached the peak of his managerial mountain and is now tumbling off it like an avalanche down a hill. The only question that remains is how far down the hill do we let ourselves get dragged. Are the powers that be happy to be relegated again or do they have any actual ambition to stay in this league. Should the answer be the latter the bullet should come sooner for everyone’s mercy. 

11 minutes ago, Mellow Yellow said:

I state at the offset that I support Farke (and Webber, Delia etc). He has not become a bad manager overnight, in fact I go further and state that he is a great manager, one of the very best we have ever had at Norwich, both in terms of style-of-play and personality. Those that want him out should be careful what they wish for as the 'noise' may just force him to resign or to be sacked and we end up with somebody worse. Confidence is a big deal and we were dealt a blow by the early fixtures, unable to get up and running with the resultant lack of confidence it instills. Also, the premiership seems to result in the insidious, ego-driven, head-turning of certain players (i.e. Buendía, Cantwell) that can affect the whole atmosphere and culture around a club. Instead of heads-down, focusing on learning to be 'better' in order to take on the challenge of the premier league, they become self-serving and simply want 'more'. Alternative examples are model professionals such as Krul, Hanley, Pukki etc who show professionalism even when the chips are down, trying their hardest to put it right. Some of the new guys and the youngsters will inevitably take time to adapt to their team-mates and the rigours of the premiership, but we need to support them even when they struggle. I actually care little about all the so-called bad records that City are breaking; they are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. If anything it presents a focus, a challenge, to prove all the nay-sayers wrong. There are still 84 points to play for and I for one believe we can prove all the doubters wrong and that it might yet be Farke's greatest achievement. And if we fail so-be-it we just go down fighting and go again next season, stronger, better. Come on City!

Do you have a relative in Cumbria by any chance?

Thanks for there response. I empathise with some of your points - but who would we 'realistically' have in place of Farke who could do a better job? If we do decide to change I like the look of Valerian Ismael but that ship may have sailed to the Baggies.

Truth is he’s never been a great manager. He’s a good manager of teams which have better technical players than the opposition or who play at a level where you don’t get punished for defensive slackness. At that level and with those sort of teams he’s done great things. He also improves players technical ability.

But he has some serious flaws and at this level they are exposed pretty brutally. 

7 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I am not greedy, I do no seek to win the premiership or to even be in it year on year. What I do expect though is that what ever league we play in we constantly improve and we are competitive. Sadly since project restart our premier league form has been nothing short of an embarrassment. The way the players simply downed tools in those last 10 games after the restart was a disgrace and that can only come an apathy with those in charge. The start of this season is again nothing short of a joke. We have not progressed forward in any meaningful way and in my eyes are worse in every department across the pitch than both the season that have gone before. Deluded team selection, baffling tactics, inability to coach a defensive unit, inability to form a cohesive attacking unit. I feel Farke has reached the peak of his managerial mountain and is now tumbling off it like an avalanche down a hill. The only question that remains is how far down the hill do we let ourselves get dragged. Are the powers that be happy to be relegated again or do they have any actual ambition to stay in this league. Should the answer be the latter the bullet should come sooner for everyone’s mercy. 

Interesting reply and I empathise with some points, thanks

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Truth is he’s never been a great manager. He’s a good manager of teams which have better technical players than the opposition or who play at a level where you don’t get punished for defensive slackness. At that level and with those sort of teams he’s done great things. He also improves players technical ability.

But he has some serious flaws and at this level they are exposed pretty brutally. 

Possibly, good reply, thanks

3 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Do you have a relative in Cumbria by any chance?

I am not related to this Mellow Yellow.....(before anyone asks)......

Just now, Mello Yello said:

I am not related to this Mellow Yellow.....(before anyone asks)......

Ah, see it now...what came first the Mellow or the Mello?

Just now, Mellow Yellow said:

Possibly, good reply, thanks

I would agree he’s done great things for the club though. I think there is a difference between that snd being a great manager. I hope he turns it around though if he stays (I don’t think he should) but as very dubious he will as I think some of those defensive flaws have been there throughout his time with us and I’m not convinced he can sort them.

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I would agree he’s done great things for the club though. I think there is a difference between that snd being a great manager. I hope he turns it around though if he stays (I don’t think he should) but as very dubious he will as I think some of those defensive flaws have been there throughout his time with us and I’m not convinced he can sort them.

But who would you have in his place that would realistically take this on?

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Are you for real??? Serious floors??? The bloke is one of the best managers we've ever had. If he's hounded out then its pathetic. Are you one of the people who sit behind and shout " He needed to boot it up the pitch?" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mellow Yellow said:

There will be options out there who will take a chance. It’s a premier league job, no real blame if you take us down and worst case is managing a team with parachute payments who ought to be competing at the top end of the champ.

Webber said previously he always has a couple of options up his sleeve in case he needs to change the coach. 

I wouldn’t mind Wilder to be honest. Exceptional record prior to last season and even there he had a squad who he had helped significantly over perform the previous season.

Based on his recent comments about us and the fact he was at one of our games recently I reckon he’d be up for it. 

1 minute ago, Mellow Yellow said:

I think you would find a hell of a lot on interest in the job if Herr Farke was relieved of his duties. The 'little Norwich' brigade hate to admit it but away from Norwich, the club is held in high regard by a lot of people in the game.

If Steve Cooper had not taken the Forest job then I'm sure he would have applied. Chris Wilder after his **** head antics at the Battle of Bramall Lane in 2017 has really warmed to us and is often complimentary. I'm sure he would snap it up if offered. I'm also not convinced Lampard would turn it down if we really went in hard for him. That's just three. There would be many others.     

28 minutes ago, Mellow Yellow said:

The most honest assessment yet from a level headed poster!!! There are problems at our club but at least these comments reflect where we are and what we're up against 👍👌🙂

Just now, yellowrider120 said:

Not in their first season he didn't!! Remind me where they finished please?

9th??? but couldn't sustain it. That's my point chum!

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

There will be options out there who will take a chance. It’s a premier league job, no real blame if you take us down and worst case is managing a team with parachute payments who ought to be competing at the top end of the champ.

Webber said previously he always has a couple of options up his sleeve in case he needs to change the coach. 

I wouldn’t mind Wilder to be honest. Exceptional record prior to last season and even there he had a squad who he had helped significantly over perform the previous season.

Based on his recent comments about us and the fact he was at one of our games recently I reckon he’d be up for it. 

Like I said in this post! He spoke very well in his analysis on MOTD2. Clear, honest, and realistic in his comments with a hell of a lot of knowledge of players at other clubs. Would certainly instil discipline into our play that's for sure.

Just now, tea total said:

Are you for real??? Serious floors??? The bloke is one of the best managers we've ever had. If he's hounded out then its pathetic. Are you one of the people who sit behind and shout " He needed to boot it up the pitch?" 

10% win record over nearly 50 premier league games and a loss record of over 70% says otherwise. He’s done great things for us and I like him but at the top level (barring a miracle turnaround) he’s about our 11th most successful manager out of about 15 and those below him only had a handful of games as caretakers. 

1 minute ago, tea total said:

Of course we are well on course to finish at such lofty levels aren't we!!! Farke's record in the PL is disgraceful and would never be tolerated anywhere else in football.

2 minutes ago, tea total said:

He had them playing well above themselves for several years, including in the prem. he was never going to sustain it longer term as that team was playing so far above itself. We’ve got better players now than they had. 

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Please, not Wilder!

9 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

I think you would find a hell of a lot on interest in the job if Herr Farke was relieved of his duties. The 'little Norwich' brigade hate to admit it but away from Norwich, the club is held in high regard by a lot of people in the game.

If Steve Cooper had not taken the Forest job then I'm sure he would have applied. Chris Wilder after his **** head antics at the Battle of Bramall Lane in 2017 has really warmed to us and is often complimentary. I'm sure he would snap it up if offered. I'm also not convinced Lampard would turn it down if we really went in hard for him. That's just three. There would be many others.     

Lampard, maybe, has good connections.

10 minutes ago, tea total said:

If you want your posts to be taken seriously may I suggest you buy a dictionary to learn how to spell.

I think the worry with Farke was our performances against the other teams who ended up in the top 6 last season. We were very good at dispatching the fodder of the league but when we came up against a team with a half decent squad we were lacking. To use a cricket term we were flat track bullies. Yes his tactics were great against those in the bottom of the league but when the standard rose we were found wanting. We are now playing teams of at least that quality every week and the results are following that form.