Sign in to follow this  
urdie_Canary

How much longer do we persist with Krul....

As above, I said it last year, he isn't prem quality anymore, he was, but he isn't now.

Terrible all season IMO, seems to get away with it due to his clapping and 'leadership qualities', distribution is appalling and seems to be getting worse each game, has shipped 25 goals or so, surely a change is needed. 

Anything remotely close to the corner goes in, pathetic attempt at stopping that shot yesterday. 

Time to get Angus in 

I have not been impressed by Gunn during the times I have watched him play. And his distribution is far worse than Krul's.

I totally disagree. You dismiss his experience as if it were insignificant when just at the moment taking that away is the last thing we should be doing. As Numan says Gunn has hardly impressed, certainly not enough to force the change in my opinion

I really hope that Daniel Barden is able to come back and play for us next year. Looked very assured when he deputised last season. TK does appear to have shot his bolt but is one of the few vocal characters we have left in the squad. AG, must just be rust but he was appalling in the cup game vs Liverpool. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit torn on Krul. He's a figurehead and i think with our ropey defence, changing the keeper would add a further level of disruption we don;t need right now.

However, I have to say i'm a bit disappointed with the lack of key saves he makes, especially when shots are hit low to the corners. I know he made a few good saves where we were 5 or 6 down at Chelsea and he's not really made any howlers apart from the 2nd yesterday, he's not making any saves that you would not really expect him to make and one or two goals are creeping in that i'm not sure should. 

He made an error and some have said his distribution is not good. From what I remember, Angus wasn't the best at distribution either but may have improved.

I think its easy to point the finger at Tim for now and he certainly isn't immune from criticism or replacing.

I think its six or two threes.

All season because, whilst you are correct in noting that Krul is no longer premiership standard, he is better than Gunn who was largely chosen out of sentiment. I would put Krul in mid champs territory now and Gunn top L1 lower champs. 

He shouldn't have even faced those two shots yesterday and on the flipside he consistently bails us out of trouble. If our defensive work off the ball was better yesterday those chances don't occur. We should be asking why Raphinia was able to dribble around 3 players who just stood still like statues defending passively instead of criticizing our last line of defence. 

this is why your Raphinia/Sarr/Zaha type players constantly run rings around us, we can't deal with players who dribble with the ball because we defend too passively, we're good at last ditch defending but when we have men back and in position we always just try to stay in position and defend space instead of engaging in duels and having players ready to pick up a loose ball. 

As a team without the ball we are nowhere near the standard required for this level, probably not even top 6 Championship standard either. With the ball and with confidence we are okay, not the worst this league has ever seen and very good by Championship standards but without it we are hopeless and it's a coaching issue that needs urgent attention. 

8 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

without it we are hopeless and it's a coaching issue that needs urgent attention. 

Is the flip side of this that it is something reasonably fixable by a new coach? 

(Looking at any straw to clutch...)

I would not say that he has been terrible, but I agree that he has not seemed to be in level he was year or two back. When fighting against relegation, you really have to take some game savers every now and then and I really don't recall those lately. When you take a look at keepers of lower midtable, there are quite many that are ahead of him.

Don't still think him as a disastrous and what I've seen from Gunn so far, I'd say that Timmy is clear starter. Still, I'd say that he currently isn't really making the difference in the tight matches that would be needed for keepers on this level. In many ways his current performance level is on same average than most outfield players.

There is no way in our position that we drop Krul for Gunn - change for change sake is pointless, Tim Krul isn't the reason we are struggling. And IMO putting Gunn in would be even more of a disaster, he's nowhere near as good as Krul.

Are you all blaming him for the second goal ? Because he had a leeds player in front of the man who took the shot he did not see it till it was too late 

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Are you all blaming him for the second goal ? Because he had a leeds player in front of the man who took the shot he did not see it till it was too late 

That player was on the edge of the area- it was a regulation save that he messed up. 

Krul is definitely the least of our problems, probably one of the only players who doesn't really deserve any flak. The goal against Leeds was probably the last big 'mistake' I've seen him make recently, and even then he had a Leeds player 'possibly offside' running across his vision so he saw it very, very late. He will be massively disappointed with it I'm sure, but can't really blame him for our players once again losing the ball in a dangerous position due to complete stupidity. Thought his distribution was generally better at the weekend as well, apart from later in the game when he kept insisting on lumping it to the shorter players for some reason despite having Idah on the pitch

Edited by AJ

1 hour ago, king canary said:

That player was on the edge of the area- it was a regulation save that he messed up. 

I was behind the goal and did not see it till too late 

Krul is nowhere our list of top 5 problems, probably not even in the top 10. 
Gunn could be part of the problem in paying £5m for a back up keeper where the money could have been spent better else where, posibiliy Ajer?

Krul made a mistake, but when a player is running across the penalty area in front of the goalkeeper in an offside position, as someone else is shooting, how is that not interfering with play?  I thought it was a bad decision.  Krul was beaten by the dip on the ball, no doubt couldn't follow the flight of the ball because of the distraction of a leeds player running across his line of sight. Should have been disallowed.

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Krul made a mistake, but when a player is running across the penalty area in front of the goalkeeper in an offside position, as someone else is shooting, how is that not interfering with play?  I thought it was a bad decision.  Krul was beaten by the dip on the ball, no doubt couldn't follow the flight of the ball because of the distraction of a leeds player running across his line of sight. Should have been disallowed.

Sorry to say, but Aarons was playing him onside.