cambridgeshire canary

Josh Sargent vs Ricky van Wolfswinkel

Josh Sargent vs Ricky van Wolfswinkel  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Sargent vs Ricky van Wolfswinkel who's the better striker

• Sargent
    • van Wolfswinkel

Give the guy a break ffs. Why judge him with so many complex factors at play. Let’s get behind the guy and the other new lads and see how they develop.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I can foresee Sargent being a 'fan's favourite' back in the Championship, even though he isn't quite what is needed right now, and even though improvement is on the cards.

• Like 1

Before we jump to recency bias with reaction to our current plight, please take one second to consider how RvW would've dealt with those high balls coming to him from the defensive line yesterday, or those floating wishy washy crosses from Rashica. 

Sargent is technically one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen down the Carra, and I mean that. Yes, he works harder that most others, but my god is he off the pace when it comes to sheer footballing ability.

Not since Chris Brown have I seen a forward so devoid of natural footballing ability. 

RVW on the other hand genuinely had a bit about him, but he could not have been a worse fit for the side we had at the time. At least he could control a football for one. 

Edited by Hoolahoop14
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Lakey and Indy Bones were fast.

Ha….I’m positive I give you that.  But I’m championship positive. 

I suspect that RVW could have been an excellent striker if we'd ever attempted a single through-ball during his time at the club. We'll never really know.

Sargent seems to do the physical bit of the game quite well: his movement is good and he competes for the ball. But there doesn't seem to be any kind of end product at all. This was epitomised yesterday when he picked up the ball and drove into the Leeds half, Pukki made a perfect run leaving his man for dead and all Sargent had to do was release the ball into the open space in front of goal, instead he took another three touches before being crowded out. Those moments (and the similar missed chances against Brighton) are the difference between winning and not at this level.

I'd like to see us revert to playing a deeper number 10 instead of a second striker. Three dynamic attacking midfielders. I don't think Sargent really has the attributes to play in that kind of a role. I don't think we can afford to give a place in the starting 11 to a striker who doesn't look like scoring or creating anything.

Edited by Petriix

You never know, he could end up being another Iwan Roberts. Dreadful first season followed by half a dozen great ones in which he attains legendary status.

11 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Sargent is technically one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen down the Carra, and I mean that. Yes, he works harder that most others, but my god is he off the pace when it comes to sheer footballing ability.

Hugill just as much of a donkey.

That's two duds Webber has signed up top. 

28 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I can foresee Sargent being a 'fan's favourite' back in the Championship, even though he isn't quite what is needed right now, and even though improvement is on the cards.

I do feel like he's one who could thrive in the league below. Two goals v Bournemouth, two in his two for Werder in the lower division before he moved to us.  

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

I do feel like he's one who could thrive in the league below. Two goals v Bournemouth, two in his two for Werder in the lower division before he moved to us.  

Yeah, because he seems "decent" at everything a forward needs to do leading the line, but has no exceptional attributes (unlike Pukki who has movement and finishing) to be a Premier League regular.

In his defence, he's only 21. Unfortunately, doesn't help us right now

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, because he seems "decent" at everything a forward needs to do leading the line, but has no exceptional attributes (unlike Pukki who has movement and finishing) to be a Premier League regular.

He reminds me a bit of Emile Heskey in that he seems to have all the physical traits but not quite the football IQ to bring it all together.

(To be clear I'm aware Heskey is better than Sargent).

51 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Ricky would have been that too though imo

It's always hard to judge RvW as he played in team with next to no service. He did well before he came here, and has done well afterwards. To be honest we could stick Ronaldo up front right now and with the service the forwards are currently getting he wouldn't get many more on current showing.

£ for £ Sargent has to be up there as one of the most expensive lack of talent we've purchased. RvW could play a bit. I should think Werder Bremen were having difficulty hiding their delight/amusement when our offer came in for him

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I think he is trying to do to much ,far to deep , his workrate you can not fault but he is a Striker needs service and needs to be in the danger area ,he is not going to score from the areas he puts himself in out wide / half way line etc needs to be in and around the box more 

our strikers are feeding on scraps 

like to see him get some more goal scoring chances like brighton to see if he can finish before i write him totally off yet 

was that miss against Brighton  a one off or the Norm ? 

Edited by norfolkngood

Soccerbot IT - Good morning, how can I help?

SW - yeah we have a problem with our soccerbot, we put a striker in it but it’s not working

Soccerbot IT - have you turned it off and on?

SW - yep, tried that but didn’t help

Soccerbot IT - what striker did you put in?

SW - Josh Sargent, we bought him thinking despite his goal ratio we could get him scoring regularly 

Soccerbot IT - hahahahah….. *line goes dead

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Give the guy a break ffs. Why judge him with so many complex factors at play. Let’s get behind the guy and the other new lads and see how they develop.  

So you reckon we have time in the Premier to wait and see how they develop ?

Sargent reminds me of Phil Boyer.  Hard-working and a great foil for Ted MacDougall but couldn't score.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

He reminds me a bit of Emile Heskey in that he seems to have all the physical traits but not quite the football IQ to bring it all together.

(To be clear I'm aware Heskey is better than Sargent).

I'd make the counterpoint that it was, in fact, Heskey's footballing IQ that saw him get a load of England caps, win a decent number of trophies, and play for one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

That he wasn't prolific shows what he brought to the teams he played in.

Edited by kirku

12 minutes ago, Numan said:

Sargent reminds me of Phil Boyer.  Hard-working and a great foil for Ted MacDougall but couldn't score.

Unfair to Boyer, better than 1 goal every 3 games. Scored a great goal last night week for Southampton on Big Match Revisited. 

I'm amazed how patient some people have been with Sargent. 2 goals against Bournemouth but, putting that in perspective, Rupp scored that game and recently Gassan Ahadme scored 2 against them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Numan said:

I was thinking the same, but with the caveat that Phil Boyer was a much more skillful player and actually did create loads of goals for MacDougall. He also scored a few.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, curious yellow said:

Unfair to Boyer, better than 1 goal every 3 games. Scored a great goal last night week for Southampton on Big Match Revisited. 

I'm amazed how patient some people have been with Sargent. 2 goals against Bournemouth but, putting that in perspective, Rupp scored that game and recently Gassan Ahadme scored 2 against them. 

I hadn't realised that Boyer scored that many .... my main memory of him is running around like a man possessed and blazing shots over the bar.  Always thought he would have been a better attacking midfielder than a striker.  I am not dissing him as a player though, he was great and was my dad's favourite player along with Mel Machin, now he could open up a defence.

1 hour ago, kirku said:

I'd make the counterpoint that it was, in fact, Heskey's footballing IQ that saw him get a load of England caps, win a decent number of trophies, and play for one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

That he wasn't prolific shows what he brought to the teams he played in.

And to be clear Heskey also scored 110 Premiership goals, more than Crouch, Drogba, Torres and many more.

7 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

So you reckon we have time in the Premier to wait and see how they develop ?

Well I completely agree and understand the point you’re making.  
We have a number of ‘youth’ players who have the potential to become great….or completely not work out……we just don’t know yet, hence my views that this is too harsh at this juncture.  The complexity for them as an individual is that trying to develop them within this league is a tough gig, it shows and I acknowledge that. 

Doesn’t make him a bad player yet, he’s what 21 and he could well bag a few next season and be massively improved thereafter.  This is then a wider question about the ‘model’ for what we needed now and there are endless pages on that debate.