Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard

Is Rashica any better than Hernandez?

And if so is he £10m better? Couldn’t that have gone on a £15-20 striker instead of Sargent or getting in Ajer pre season or any number of options to improve the squad…. 

• Like 2

better close control I would say. Personally I'd have kept Hernandez and see how we did with him on one wing and Rashica on the other... both direct and pacy!

But what do I know

Rashica certainly looks better than Sargent and Tzolis so far. Has some genuine quality, can deliver a set piece, better control and first touch than Hernandez and better tactical awareness.

Make no mistake, Rashica isn’t just better than Hernandez he’s also Better than Buendia 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Make no mistake, Rashica isn’t just better than Hernandez he’s also Better than Buendia 

What are you smoking?

So far I'd say no. Hernandez offers a bit more of a goal threat. Rashica keeps putting in high crosses suggesting that he has no idea how to link up with Pukki.

These threads irritate me. What had Onel showed us after a handful of games? Need to see our new players over a period of months and years to know what they can do and how they compare to others. 

8 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

He's certainly no Emi, which is what we have had been led to believe! 

By who?? The club never said he was a replacement for Emi. A completely different player and we were told this. Some fans may have just assumed he was the new Emi as he was the first signing (I think) after Emis sale but we were never led to believe he was the new Buendia by the club/Webber/Farke.

• Like 1

I always rated Hernandez and I'd put (if both fully fit) them at a similar level. Rashica left me hugely frustrated yesterday, we had numerous opportunities where a ball could be played in between their right fullback (whoever he was?) and centre back, our midfield were giving him the eyes but he refuses to leave the touchline, a crafty bent run in behind would have worked and Hernandez made those all the time. He's got the pace to trouble defences.

He is technically decent, he just needs to adapt to our game. Hugging the touchline, driving to the byline and crossing the ball isn't us. Like Sargent, it'll take too long for him to adapt to the PL this season. But, also like Sargent unlikely to leave at the sniff of relegation. 

Watching the pre match warmup in front of the Barclay, there is no doubt in my mind that his accurate powerful striking of the ball towards goal,  is a weapon  we have yet to utilise in open play. I would like to see him in a more central attacking role outside the box being supplied by Sargent/Pukki.

Give him a break!   It’s a team game, he’s playing in a team that simply isn’t functioning… thus he rarely gets the ball in an area that he can affect the game….he did fairly well yesterday but he’s only got Pukki in the box to aim at against big quality centre halves.   

Also, it’s a league and an intensity he’s not used to, he needs time!   Just look at his touch, that will tell you he’s got something to offer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

not good enough IMO, disappears in games for half hour or so, hasn't scored or assisted a goal so far and hasn't looked likely to either, another dire signing. Looks like he lacks the fight and desire for me, too often taking the easy way out and passing back to AO 

Edited by urdie_Canary

If we had a big man in the box Rashica would be exceptional - he is very good at getting wide and delivering in to the box.

Sadly it's not Pukki's game, and Sargent is languishing somewhere other than in the box.

With Onel you get someone who's willing to cut in and attack the goal, which is probably a better option for us.  However, Rashica is technically the better IMO.

Edited by Google Bot

8 hours ago, Yobocop said:

👆That's bait...... 😏

Probably had his best game that I've seen so far, but still none of that real goal scoring threat we were dreaming of

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Give him a break!   It’s a team game, he’s playing in a team that simply isn’t functioning… thus he rarely gets the ball in an area that he can affect the game….he did fairly well yesterday but he’s only got Pukki in the box to aim at against big quality centre halves.   

Also, it’s a league and an intensity he’s not used to, he needs time!   Just look at his touch, that will tell you he’s got something to offer.

I think this bit really sums it up for me. What proportion of Pukki's goals do you think come from crosses?

It seems like a fundamental mismatch with our style of play to be even attempting to play that way. The ball needs to stay on the floor to give ourselves a fighting chance. Rashica doesn't seem to fit with the way we play.

I thought he did OK. Two shots at goal and a couple of decent crosses which no-one got on the end of. I remember Beckham saying he crossed the ball in and expected someone to be there to meet it.

Leeds used Harrison and Rapinho to good effect (and we put a CB at left back to mark) and I don't see why we cannot try using wingers rather expecting full backs to bomb forward all the time.

I would say that Rashica is 'miles' ahead of Hernandez, having two seasons where he scored double figures in a Bundesliga season. 

After the games so far, I think we have a decent premiership side in the making, but unfortunately the jigsaw puzzle is all over the place and there appears to be no natural chemistry between the players. 

The back 3 looks solid, but neither max, dimi or williams are prolific in creating chances or scoring.  I guess this is why Rashica was introduced to the left-back/left-midfield position. We have no natural destroyer or goal-scorer in midfield and we have a hard working but ineffective Sargent which means either Pukki scores or well we might nick a header from a corner. 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I think this bit really sums it up for me. What proportion of Pukki's goals do you think come from crosses?

It seems like a fundamental mismatch with our style of play to be even attempting to play that way. The ball needs to stay on the floor to give ourselves a fighting chance. Rashica doesn't seem to fit with the way we play.

So what ‘style’ do we actually play at the moment…. Real question, would appreciate your considered opinion on that.  
To my mind, we are searching for a formula that gets us some points and it ain’t how we played last year.      He’s yet to grow into this team (to be expected) whatever way it plays and has only played half the games!   What has Onel or Platcheta got that aids Pukki’s game or Dowell?   As much as we like Onel, he’s very similar to Rashica but wasn’t consistent enough and I do expect Rashica will be a very good upgrade in time from what we’ve seen.     Platcheta is no answer of course, rather have Sorensen down the left.

My point was that he can’t produce things if there’s nothing to aim at and not enough forwards around the box.   

If you think that Rashica’s game is more suited to balls in the air than on the deck, then I have to question what you are watching.    The kid is clearly a player that wants the ball on the floor, likes to cut inside and look for options, one of which would be Pukki but there aren’t many options at the moment because we’ve been too defensive or the support has been inadequate.   Give him time!

16 hours ago, Jezzard said:

And if so is he £10m better? Couldn’t that have gone on a £15-20 striker instead of Sargent or getting in Ajer pre season or any number of options to improve the squad…. 

We won't be getting much of a fee for Onel so the answer would surely be what we can likely sell Rashica for..... based on his technique, touch and bits of quality so far, no reason he can't develop into a £20m plus player so yes, its about potential and he has that without doubt....   No one can seriously guage a view from his performances to date which have been limited and in an underperforming team.   Yesterday, how many balls did we send long?   Look at the size of him, is that going to suit him?   No, of course not!   Despite this, he did ok.   

Think you're being unfair with this thread and of course there's people who can't resist having a clueless go at the player.   

5 hours ago, urdie_Canary said:

not good enough IMO, disappears in games for half hour or so, hasn't scored or assisted a goal so far and hasn't looked likely to either, another dire signing. Looks like he lacks the fight and desire for me, too often taking the easy way out and passing back to AO 

Hasn't assisted a goal!    Was that a pass back to AO that ended up in the net?