thebigfeller

It's not about the manager. The problem is the owners...

Bumping this interesting OP/thread back up. I appreciate strong feelings are in the air but there do seem to be some new threads being started unnecessarily that have pushed this well down, and whether one agrees with it or not it is hardly irrelevant to the current discussions.

17 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Masquerading as a sport is a very good description of the Premier League.

But you are quite happy for us to be in that League I take it?

I post ...

Masquerading as a sport is very good description of the Premier League.

Baldyboy replies...

But you're quite happy for us to be in League 1 I take it.

Go figure....

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I post ...

Baldyboy replies...

Go figure....

Apologies. Misread your post baldyboy.

I am quite happy for us to win games so if that takes us to the PL I am happy. However that doesn't blind me to what the PL is. 

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I post ...

Baldyboy replies...

Go figure....

You and I will still be going whatever league we are in Nutty.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

So will everyone other poster living in the area no matter what they say on here. Why would you not go?

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

And just think of the kudos that gets us when we post on here Rickyyyyy 🙃👍

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So will everyone other poster living in the area no matter what they say on here. Why would you not go?

Dunno. Ask @Jim Smith, he was pretty vocal on this.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

I am happty when we win and disappointed when we lose. The extent of my happiness or disappointment is not controlled by our position in the football pyramid. Of course its good for the finances and profile of the club to be in the higher leagues but it isn't a factor in my attendance at CR.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

We appreciate the roller coaster ride Nutty, for NCFC supporters triumphs and disasters go hand in hand.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I am happty when we win and disappointed when we lose. The extent of my happiness or disappointment is not controlled by our position in the football pyramid. Of course its good for the finances and profile of the club to be in the higher leagues but it isn't a factor in my attendance at CR.

I love football and because of being born and living in Norwich until I was 22, I was lucky enough to be a City supporter following home and away. And I can never get that out of my system.

But if I had been born in Plymouth it would be "Greeeen Arrrrrmie".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

We appreciate the roller coaster ride Nutty, for NCFC supporters triumphs and disasters go hand in hand.

You and I are from an era when a Cup run was the only chance we had of success.

16 hours ago, Petriix said:

Here's a crazy idea: maybe accept that it's really hard for us to compete at the top level; that we are punching so far above our financial weight that the relative success of the last three seasons is a huge achievement which we can all be proud of; that we don't have some preordained right to be in the Premier League.

I don't believe for a second that our current owners are holding back a stream of potential billionaire investors. And I'm not so deluded as to imagine that a takeover would necessarily result in the kind of dream future being imagined. You don't have to look far to see what happens when those rich owners decide that pumping hundreds of millions in isn't sustainable over a prolonged period.

So our options are really limited to keeping trying to find an alternative way to compete by doing things differently, or to give up and sink back to our natural position, probably towards the bottom of the Championship or the top of League One. There's probably a third way which involves gambling our long term future by overspending in the short term to try and buy success; a terrifying thought.

But let's be honest: promotion and relegation is probably far more fun than just being Everton. We're incredibly lucky compared to the majority of clubs outside the Premier League.

How about we just enjoy the roller-coaster ride. Right now we're heading down a fairly steep drop, but there's probably another rise coming. Maybe we'll be better placed next time.

One of the posts of 2021 @Petriix ...thank you. It's honest and realistic and not full of sourness. And it's not a crazy idea but one that might not get universal acclaim here. 

Your post and that from @thebigfeller have restored much needed perspective (and by the way that's not me being an apologist for Webber, Farke or Smith & Jones because one can always be critical or try and be constructive). 

We are in the steep decline part of the curve at this point in time. Yet as fans we are here for the lifetime journey and I'm definitely not going to be upset and bitter at this current phase. I could be an Oldham or a Sunderland or a Portsmouth supporter etc etc and the world would look much grimmer...but I'm not and we happen to be at the top table and we may not yet belong.

...anyway....👏👏

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There's a lot of people spoiled by recent experience and don't appear to be able to handle it when things turn down. Like I've said many times before, I try very hard not to get too attatched to any player or manager, they all have their time and either move on or move out. In the end all we have is the club. I feel very lucky to have lived at a time when there has seldom been a season without something to play for. Many others have not been so fortunate.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But being knocked out in the third round usually meant a home friendly against a first division team on fourth round day.

Remember seeing Ian Storey-Moore in those circumstances.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But being knocked out in the third round usually meant a home friendly against a first division team on fourth round day.

Remember seeing Ian Storey-Moore in those circumstances.

Now you've spoilt it. He was from Ipswich😠

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Now you've spoilt it. He was from Ipswich😠

He was born there but had zero association with the binners.

24 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I am happy when we win and disappointed when we lose. The extent of my happiness or disappointment is not controlled by our position in the football pyramid. Of course its good for the finances and profile of the club to be in the higher leagues but it isn't a factor in my attendance at CR.

And here are the words of a true supporter of the club.

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

He was born there but had zero association with the binners.

Unless he had blood transfusions every day, he was a Binner😂

• Haha 1

(More in hope than expectation), can anybody explain to me why we would it be better off with the Watford Pozzo and Gao Jisheng, the Southampton owner - or even worse the Burnley owners. They might be richer, but how does this benefit the football club?

2 hours ago, Badger said:

(More in hope than expectation), can anybody explain to me why we would it be better off with the Watford Pozzo and Gao Jisheng, the Southampton owner - or even worse the Burnley owners. They might be richer, but how does this benefit the football club?

Southampton, a club barely any bigger than Norwich in natural terms, are now in their tenth consecutive Premier League season, after emulating us in achieving successive promotions. They also reached a Cup Final in recent memory.

Watford, a club naturally much smaller than Norwich, are now in their sixth Premier League campaign in the last seven years after coming up with us in 2015. They also reached a Cup Final in recent memory.

Burnley, a club smaller than Norwich, are now in their sixth consecutive Premier League campaign, and seventh in the last eight years. They also played in Europe in recent memory.  

Not a single one of these three clubs would hail themselves for their ownership model while getting humiliated every week on the pitch. In all cases, just being in serious relegation danger is intolerable to them. In our case, our own board described 19th place in 2004/5 as "a success" - this pathetic loser's mentality goes back a long, long way - and we continue to employ a manager whose record is an unthinkable 2 points from 20 games.

(More in hope than expectation), could you explain why you take such perverse pride in Norwich City being a national and international laughing stock? No club that fails the way we do at this level is "doing things the right way" - because doing things the right way involves, wait for it, being successful.

Edited by thebigfeller
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

(More in hope than expectation), could you explain why you take such perverse pride in Norwich City being a national and international laughing stock? No club that fails the way we do at this level is "doing things the right way" - because doing things the right way involves, wait for it, being successful.

Sigh... I had very low confidence of a response that answered the question raised, but congratulations you've managed to get the very bottom of my expectations and started digging deeper from there. 🤦‍♂️

Nobody takes pride in Norwich being a laughing stock, with the possible exception of posters like DCB and TVB. Most people, including myself. would happily accept a generous donor willing to give us tens or hundreds of millions of pounds.

Now getting back to the question I asked explain to me why we would it be better off with the Watford Pozzo and Gao Jisheng, the Southampton owner - or even worse the Burnley owners. I am aware that they currently sit higher than us in the table (btw) but what would they do for Norwich to improve us.

• Like 1

I don’t disagree that the owners are a long term problem in terms of sustaining competitiveness at the level Bigfeller but I also think you are excusing Farke too easily in these recent posts and radio calls in order to bolster that argument. The reality is it’s both. The owners do impose a ceiling and should look for fresh investment or to sell BUT that ceiling is not rock bottom of the premier league, humiliated every week and playing sh*te. This squad snd this team are capable of so much more but are being woefully mismanaged at the moment so I firmly do believe that changing the manager would make a big difference. Whether it’s enough now is a different question.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Sigh... I had very low confidence of a response that answered the question raised, but congratulations you've managed to get the very bottom of my expectations and started digging deeper from there. 🤦‍♂️

Nobody takes pride in Norwich being a laughing stock, with the possible exception of posters like DCB and TVB. Most people, including myself. would happily accept a generous donor willing to give us tens or hundreds of millions of pounds.

Now getting back to the question I asked explain to me why we would it be better off with the Watford Pozzo and Gao Jisheng, the Southampton owner - or even worse the Burnley owners. I am aware that they currently sit higher than us in the table (btw) but what would they do for Norwich to improve us.

No answer would suffice for you, a futile question indeed. 

18 hours ago, ricardo said:

There's a lot of people spoiled by recent experience and don't appear to be able to handle it when things turn down. Like I've said many times before, I try very hard not to get too attatched to any player or manager, they all have their time and either move on or move out. In the end all we have is the club. I feel very lucky to have lived at a time when there has seldom been a season without something to play for. Many others have not been so fortunate.

I don’t think you have to be “spoilt” to be frustrated by what’s going on at present Ricardo. Nor does supporting the club at whatever level we are at mark anyone out as particularly unique because that’s what we all do and will continue to do, even if the repeated delegations may suck a bit of the enthusiasm out of it for periods of time.

wanting the club to try and preserve its top flight status by actually doing something about this current run is not spoilt? Nor is wanting it to play at the highest level it can. 

I think the club would have been under just as much pressure to remove a manager with 5 wins in 48 top flight games in whatever era we were in.

I think we have reached a sit back on the sofa with a tub of popcorn moment on this thread as no matter what responses Badger gets he will be having none of it if other threads are anything to go by.

First thing I look for on this forum is the intelligent and distinguished posters who use different coloured fonts.....They're the only folk who speak any sense.....

48 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No answer would suffice for you, a futile question indeed. 

No - an answer would be much appreciated. What would you expect City gain if we swapped our owners with those of Southampton, Watford, or Burnley  - you must have some idea?

38 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think we have reached a sit back on the sofa with a tub of popcorn moment on this thread as no matter what responses Badger gets he will be having none of it if other threads are anything to go by.

Well you could try giving one and see? What advantages could you cite from having the owners of Southampton, Watford or Burnley?

Can you actually identify any?

19 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

13 hours ago, Badger said:

They have made their clubs competitive in this league. They are not laughing stocks of English football which we 100%, unfortunately are. They look capable of winning points in this league. They have offered some hope to their fans. They kept key players in the summer which could well be the difference between survival or relegation.

I have never experienced such a completely overwhelming sense of football hopelessness... To the point I don't want to go and watch that cr*p week in week out. I have a season ticket and I can't give it away... Going to Brentford but more for the pre / after game meet with mates. 

The Watford / Southampton owners are not in any danger of losing a generation of young supporters. 

The fact that Farke is still here after a 10% win ratio in 48 games says it all. If they don't care why should I... I am even getting pity off my MD in work... I now would rather not have another top flight campaign under these owners. It's pointless. If there was a sense of progression then fair enough... there isn't.