Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Seems like that point at home against

Brighton wasn't such bad result after todays result. 

Yes, last week was dismal and not acceptable, but are we generally being too hard on ourselves? How many points off are we from where we should realistically be? 3 or 4? Surely no more than 5 cosidering who we've played so far...right?

5 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Brighton wasn't such bad result after todays result. 

Yes, last week was dismal and not acceptable, but are we generally being too hard on ourselves? How many points off are we from where we should realistically be? 3 or 4? Surely no more than 5 cosidering who we've played so far...right?

No, because the performances have been so crap.

I'm not sure you can pick out a single game this season and claim 'we deserved to win that.'

Apparently Chelsea’s XG was only 1.84, which shows how clinical they were were. But the amount of space we left them on the wings was MASSIVE and seemed to shoot or score at will.

But we couldn’t keep the ball for more than 20 seconds to create a meaningful chance. We were diabolical. 

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Or does it show the 2 Liverpool results were even worse?.... 😏

ha! ...or does that point at Burnley look good? 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure you can pick out a single game this season and claim 'we deserved to win that.'

Don't get this at all.  Chelsea was cr*p, but Everton/Burnley and Brighton were much better fighting displays. Brighton we should have won imo.

16 hours ago, king canary said:

Leicester at home we played quite well I guess and got robbed of a draw👀

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Leicester at home we played quite well I guess and got robbed of a draw👀

Yeah I think you can argue we deserved a point there and maybe v Arsenal. But not wins. 

7 out of 9 teams we've faced are top half. We need to be patient. As long as 17th place is not more than 3 wins away we've got a chance.

For me it's always about performance. You can be battered 1-0 or win 3-0 when a draw would have been a fair result. Yesterday Leicester got beat 2-0 but only some amazing saves by their keeper gave Arsenal the win. Margins in football can be wafer thin.

The thing is you keep fighting even when the cause is lost; it is one of the characteristics human beings most admire. Watching the beginning of the highlights against Chelsea (I couldn't stomach much) I realised just how much we stood off them, how much space we gave them. Mount's goal (& several others) was a superb strike, unstoppable, but that doesn't excuse the lack of fight.

If they're not up for it today they never will be. And if they aren't .... well something's gotta give.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, king canary said:

Of course you can, if you squint a bit. 

29 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

7 out of 9 teams we've faced are top half. We need to be patient. As long as 17th place is not more than 3 wins away we've got a chance.

We play the same 19 teams twice over the course of this season.

We need to be competitive in each fixture, irrelevant of where the opposition sit in the table. 

11 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

For me it's always about performance. You can be battered 1-0 or win 3-0 when a draw would have been a fair result. Yesterday Leicester got beat 2-0 but only some amazing saves by their keeper gave Arsenal the win. Margins in football can be wafer thin.

The thing is you keep fighting even when the cause is lost; it is one of the characteristics human beings most admire. Watching the beginning of the highlights against Chelsea (I couldn't stomach much) I realised just how much we stood off them, how much space we gave them. Mount's goal (& several others) was a superb strike, unstoppable, but that doesn't excuse the lack of fight.

If they're not up for it today they never will be. And if they aren't .... well something's gotta give.

Out of likes, but this^^^

My impression was that one or two of our players were slightly overawed by the occasion and ended up just watching proceedings as if mesmerised and as you say, standing off too much, which made it look worse.  Can't afford to do that at any games from now on in - hopefully it was a lesson learned.

17 hours ago, king canary said:

In fairness, I think we deserved the points against Brighton. Pukki did pukki’s thing and missed 2-3 golden opportunities and then there was the Sargent incident. We were solid if not particularly entertaining but we definitely ought to have won that one I think.

1 hour ago, Coneys Knee said:

In fairness, I think we deserved the points against Brighton. Pukki did pukki’s thing and missed 2-3 golden opportunities and then there was the Sargent incident. We were solid if not particularly entertaining but we definitely ought to have won that one I think.

Someone tell Pukki he is playing for Finland today! He doesn’t seem to have problems tucking the chances away at national level. 

Reminds me of a story years ago in the Scottish league. Can’t remember which team but apparently one of the players was  slightly concussed  and the physio said to the manager “it’s no good boss he doesn’t even know who is!” To which the manager replied “well tell him he’s Pele and get him the F back on!” 😂

Edited by Canary Jedi
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah I think you can argue we deserved a point there and maybe v Arsenal. But not wins. 

No buddy, we haven't deserved a win so far, but maybe should be 2 points better off

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

I thought about Brighton but that was one where I think the draw was probably fair. We could have win, so could they I'm not sure I'd say we should have, although that's totally subjective of course! 

I really cannot understand why people bang on about we deserved this or that when we get beat.  Fact is we lost or drew the games and if we had scored in those games who knows what the outcome would have been?

The only thing that matters is the result in football, you don’t get points for deserving something, if you deserve it enough and are good enough you will get what you deserve.

2 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

We play the same 19 teams twice over the course of this season.

We need to be competitive in each fixture, irrelevant of where the opposition sit in the table. 

Realistically we're competing against a handful of teams at the bottom, and getting upset because we've lost to the big teams isn't going to help morale.

Sargent miss was terrible but the boy made it all himself nobody did a excellent pass he charged down the ball 

The Strikers are feeding on Scraps this is where we are missing Cantwell in my opinion

we need to be positive and brave and have fight 

if we do not show that today Farke has lost the dressing room in my opinion 

• Like 1