Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What do they see in Sargent?

11 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Like a speedboat without a driver.  

I get the feeling Sargent is decent.  Emi when he first arrived was relatively poor compared to the levels he then got to. Let’s not right him off yet, but as said many many times, this season we can’t really be developing youngsters, they need to be delivering constant form for us to survive hence the £10m or so spent on him.  

He's adequate back-up in the way that Hugill is adequate back-up, except much much more expensive. To compare him to Emi is a total joke.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think many saw that Emi was a talented footballer from the off but that first season under DF gave no-one a chance to impress with skill and flair.

That’s a fair point.  I’m basing it on I think four match’s or so I went to that season….Emi had a stinker in each one, numerous hissy fits and a poor first touch.   Thankfully I’m not a scout though 😂

But Sargent could still come good, young, strong, looks like he has pace, and actually one miss of the season aside, rather like your point about Emi, due to the level we are at the ability to create numerous chances for our strikers is limited.  I’d bet he’d score 15 plus in the champs based on domination of possession and higher chance creation.  Speculation I agree, but I guess the point is, I think it’s too early to say he’s a poor purchase. 

2 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

That’s a fair point.  I’m basing it on I think four match’s or so I went to that season….Emi had a stinker in each one, numerous hissy fits and a poor first touch.   Thankfully I’m not a scout though 😂

But Sargent could still come good, young, strong, looks like he has pace, and actually one miss of the season aside, rather like your point about Emi, due to the level we are at the ability to create numerous chances for our strikers is limited.  I’d bet he’d score 15 plus in the champs based on domination of possession and higher chance creation.  Speculation I agree, but I guess the point is, I think it’s too early to say he’s a poor purchase. 

I'm not sure if your or @keelansgrandad's mind are playing tricks on you but Emi wasn't here during Farke's first season.

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

He's adequate back-up in the way that Hugill is adequate back-up, except much much more expensive. To compare him to Emi is a total joke.

I’m not comparing them as footballers.   I know which one I rate much higher.  I’m just using it (perhaps not brilliantly) as an example of giving players time to bed in, find their feet and develop.  Emi’s development was amazing, but it started a league lower.  Just think we write players off to quickly. But I equally acknowledge the financial outlay is higher, so expectations go through the roof. 

5 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

I'm very critical of Sargent, but I would also expect him to score 15 in the Champs even if most of them came off his knee or his ****. The point is that we are not in the Champs any more and a striker who doesn't have basic ball control should never be anything more than a back-up in the case of an injury crisis.

USA international, young, adds resell value and value to the club, speed and physical attributes. He “plays” down the centre and on the right. 
He fits the model of the club. And was available for a fee NCFC could afford after being related to Bundesliga 2. 

What Webber saw in him was a calculated gamble. That’s all. 

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure if your or @keelansgrandad's mind are playing tricks on you but Emi wasn't here during Farke's first season.

Haha!!! I can’t remember, I’ll take your word on it.  My point is more about development of a player rather than the manager. 

Just now, Danbury Yellow said:

Haha!!! I can’t remember, I’ll take your word on it.  My point is more about development of a player rather than the manager. 

Yeah it is a fair point he did start largely from the bench under Farke and didn't catch fire straight away.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

USA international, young, adds resell value and value to the club, speed and physical attributes. He “plays” down the centre and on the right. 
He fits the model of the club. And was available for a fee NCFC could afford after being related to Bundesliga 2. 

What Webber saw in him was a calculated gamble. That’s all. 

This! 

I know sod all about football but the player who caught me eye against us last season was Brereton of Blackburn Rovers. Armstrong was getting all the attention, so I assumed it was just me knowing nothing. But then Brereton got picked for Chile and is scoring a goal a game, albeit in the Championship. Any thoughts?

Edited by PurpleCanary

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I know sod all about football but the player who caught me eye against us last season was Brereton of Blackburn Rovers. Armstrong was getting all the attention, so I assumed it was just me knowing nothing. But then Brereton got picked for Chile and is scoring a goal a game, albeit in the Championship. Any thoughts?

I know sod all about football as well.

I don't know this particular player, but regarding Sargent I would suggest that if a player does not have the necessary technical skills by his late teens, he will never get them. Most of the development after this age is intellectual, in the dual sense of 1) mental strength/character and 2) learning how to read the game. This is why so many highly promising young players disappoint after this age - they have the technical ability but not the footballing brain. But it's also why there are limits to players like Sargent - they can work hard and develop their awareness of what is happening on the pitch but they will always be limited by their lack of technical ability.

In short, I wish we had spent the 10m on a good Championship player.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I don't know this particular player, but regarding Sargent I would suggest that if a player does not have the necessary technical skills by his late teens, he will never get them. Most of the development after this age is intellectual, in the dual sense of 1) mental strength/character and 2) learning how to read the game. This is why so many highly promising young players disappoint after this age - they have the technical ability but not the footballing brain. But it's also why there are limits to players like Sargent - they can work hard and develop their awareness of what is happening on the pitch but they will always be limited by their lack of technical ability.

We spent good money on a bundesliga regular who has yet to settle 

what is it with our fans writing off players after less than 3 months at the club 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Number9 said:

"Covers alot of ground"

A bit like pigeon sh1t

Edited by Mullet
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Yobocop said:

We spent good money on a bundesliga regular who has yet to settle 

what is it with our fans writing off players after less than 3 months at the club 

Spot on. 

16 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

He scored two goals against top Championship opposition. He’s got the attributes, but he’s 21 and been thrown into a misfiring team in the toughest league in the world.

Sargent missed a sitter, other than that he’s lead the line well and provided an outlet we desperately needed. He’s looked in the better half of our misfiring players to me.

I don’t get the singling out of individuals for large amounts of criticism when the team as a whole has been garbage. Sargent looks a good value transfer to me, you could argue he wasn’t what we needed right now and signing him was a luxury, but that’s not his fault.

• Like 2

Another who falls into the category of useful squad player for me but I will be annoyed if he’s starting again today. 

On 30/10/2021 at 13:38, Number9 said:

"Covers alot of ground"

So does  manure if it’s  spread right!

• Haha 1

That he works his **** off, gets into good positions and they hope he can't be that **** at shooting surely and his luck will turn eventually?

Sadly they'll probably be waiting a while

22 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

You don't get good championship players for £10m these days, especially strikers. As proven when we got outbid on Armstrong hence we had to then go for Sargent.

4 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Sargent has had a decent half so far

I think our attacks break down at him.

I know he's 21 and will improve, potentially substantially so, but to be an effective foil for Pukki you need to look for the quick through ball and twice now he's been too slow to react when the option looked to be on.

Tszolis should be given the chance to show that he can click with Pukki. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think our attacks break down at him.

I know he's 21 and will improve, potentially substantially so, but to be an effective foil for Pukki you need to look for the quick through ball and twice now he's been too slow to react when the option looked to be on.

Tszolis should be given the chance to show that he can click with Pukki. 

Just a shame that Todd isn't ready. He would've sliced them apart

• Like 1

Just had a fantastic 2 hours down the pub slagging off his every (non) movement.  If he starts next game the world is doomed, not just Norwich.