Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What do they see in Sargent?

1 minute ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

sadly Christos didn't blow me away with his 25mins display either

Yes, but Christos, unlike Sargent, has not been given the luxury of several 90 minutes to acclimatise to Premier football.

9 hours ago, Monty13 said:

He scored two goals against top Championship opposition. He’s got the attributes, but he’s 21 and been thrown into a misfiring team in the toughest league in the world.

Sargent missed a sitter, other than that he’s lead the line well and provided an outlet we desperately needed. He’s looked in the better half of our misfiring players to me.

I don’t get the singling out of individuals for large amounts of criticism when the team as a whole has been garbage. Sargent looks a good value transfer to me, you could argue he wasn’t what we needed right now and signing him was a luxury, but that’s not his fault.

Just a point but did you look at the team Bournemouth put out. It was a 2nd if not 3rd string. One of their defenders had spent the last 2 seasons on loan at Dorset. God knows what league that is but at a guess kings Lynn are higher. Also watch the goals. They are not the goals of a natural striker. One a tap in to an empty net and the other he completely messed up when clean on goal only for it to hit his back foot and creep into the corner. He is busy and athletic but he really is not a composed striker and I don't think he ever will be. 

Clearly more than the fans do.

work hard, but running around like a headless chicken.

Can hardly recall seeing Adam touch the ball when he came on.

So with the current squad what is the answer up front?

1 minute ago, Bradwell canary said:

Can we get Wolfswinkle back 🤪

1 minute ago, Bradwell canary said:

Back to 3 attacking midfielders to play Pukki in I guess. 

Sarge not good enough 

Idah not good enough 

Sargent is out of his depth. He hasn't the first touch or awareness of where his teammates are. Yes he runs around a lot. But so did Usain Bolt and he couldn't get a club.

Aston Villa comments on Emi Buendia:

"In general his passing is poor, one good pass in 6/7 games doesn’t change my opinion on this. He can improve his passing but my worry is that he’s just so slow on the ball and doesn’t seem to have the stamina to last 90 mins."

"Poor first touch, seems to need longer than he’s ever going to be afforded whenever he gets the ball, turns into trouble often, passing is hit and miss. I got laughed at when we signed this guy and I queried the price."

"Awful last night and has been a flop thus far. Makes the odd nice pass but it isn’t enough."

"Worrying that we paid between £30m and £40m for this guy and so far his numbers (1 goal, 0 assists) and all-round play are well below par. The most worrying thing about him is physically - not quick enough and not strong enough. Too easily bullied off the ball."

There is also the occasional voice of reason - "I think with Emi we need to be more patient - personally i think he'll turn out to be a good signing for us providing we use him right."

So according to the message board experts - his first touch is poor; his passing is poor; no stamina, not quick enough and not strong enough and too easily bullied off the ball.

Do you think that Villa fans are judging Emi a bit early? Do you think that we might be judging some of our new signings too early as well?

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/21827-emiliano-buendía/page/205/

Edited by Badger
Added link
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sargent is out of his depth. He hasn't the first touch or awareness of where his teammates are. Yes he runs around a lot. But so did Usain Bolt and he couldn't get a club.

Is Bolt still Available ? we might have a job for him 

An honest trier who gives his all (which is why I clapped him when he was subbed against Leeds )who was a cheap buy!

Unfortunately though, Sargeants not good enough to be effective at Premier League level.

Edited by kingsway

Overall he was good against Brighton but the horrific miss has obvs got to him. Anyone questioning his technical ability should rewind to that game (other than the miss) as there were flashes of real quality. Had he scored that we may have seen a different player yesterday and against Chelsea. Boris would call him oven ready, but he definitely isn't. 

We don't need him to be prolific. He's there to hold the ball, win second balls and pressure defenders taking some of the workload off Teemu who was doing too much running. 

• Like 1

I'd probably put him in that Che Adams bracket of ability. Hardworking, physical, and perhaps not clinical but will create chances. Adams was a monster in the champs and then looked poor as he stepped up a league moving to Saints. You'd never use him as your main no.9 but complements a less physical forward. That said, Pukki was putting it about a bit yesterday.

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Bambi on ice.

I like the hidden subcontext of your comment. Bambi, struggling after the death of their mother (missing an open goal against Brighton), gradually adjusting to the big bad world (the cesspit of corrupt billionaires that is the PL). A very positive take. I'm onboard.

DF has given him enough time to show what he can.. They should try something new or nothing changes. But the real problem is the lack of creativity in the midfield. Now they are a way too slow and cannot offer enough support for Pukki who is still making all the time his runs.