Dean Coneys boots

Webber’s interview

People objecting to being criticised?  Why shouldn't he criticise fans if he hears stuff he thinks is detrimental to the team? Especially that stupid 0-0 chant. Sometimes I think people need to be told what they are doing is stupid.

Webber is in a difficult position because he can't alienate fans too much and needs to rally the troops which is what he is clearly doing, but people do need to think a bit more sometimes before chanting certain things. 

I understand anger if a team is looking like it isn't trying which has happened twice this season when we have been overun, but it isn't a regular thing - in the previous two games the team were clearly fighting with passion and every sinew to try and get results - and fans responded to that. So the reaction to Chelsea was fair - it was ****** awful to watch a team look so out of a match - but it does not mean it will be the same in the next match.

Yeah, I know, results have been terrible, we haven't won a PL match since 1973 or whatever the stat is - but the past is in the past -  FORGET IT !!  NOW is what matters!!  Not last week. Not yesterday. Not even the last five minutes.  It's in the past - Sunday is a new game - a new start, something to really get up for.  

I like Webber and in rallying the troops and really that is what we need - togetherness of purpose and make the atmosphere as difficult as possibe for Leeds to deal with. I know that the fans will be really behind the team on Sunday - it will be electric - and the better and more up for it our fans are, the more hostile and intimidating we can make it for Leeds. 

Relief that Webber is sticking with Farke. Can’t think of any coach more likely to bring us up again next season.

Our issues are nothing to do with Webber and Farke. They go to the cost of recruiting and, more significantly, paying wages appropriate to quality PL level players.

If, and until, that changes we’re very unlikely to finish above 20th.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Because the issue is Farkes ability to coach in the premier league, not the championship. We know he can succeed at the latter level but we need a coach who can do both. 

We’re all aware where we are but that doesn’t make it ok to cherry pick stats.  This using ‘just’ PL data is simply unfair - there’s a 46 game season omitted.  I do find it astonishing that some ‘supporters’ are now so willing to use it as it suits - a few games ago they were incredulous when the likes of Talk****e were quoting the same.

Edited by Branston Pickle

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Because the issue is Farkes ability to coach in the premier league, not the championship. We know he can succeed at the latter level but we need a coach who can do both. 

But Jimbo, why would we need  a coach that can do both?   If we are in the premier league then we need a coach that can keep us there(-not DF it seems). If we are in the  champs then we need a coach that can get us promoted(-DF has proven he can do that). The logical answer then is to keep DF in place, if he keeps up then he fulfils both your criteria. If we go down then we have a man in place to get us back up......which then may be the right time to replace him as by then ,he will have pretty much proved that he isnt up to premier league standard. 

You have effectively given his tenure for this and next season the green light.Cheers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

But Jimbo, why would we need  a coach that can do both?   If we are in the premier league then we need a coach that can keep us there(-not DF it seems). If we are in the  champs then we need a coach that can get us promoted(-DF has proven he can do that). The logical answer then is to keep DF in place, if he keeps up then he fulfils both your criteria. If we go down then we have a man in place to get us back up......which then may be the right time to replace him as by then ,he will have pretty much proved that he isnt up to premier league standard. 

You have effectively given his tenure for this and next season the green light.Cheers.

Nope because there is absolutely nothing, no evidence or anything to suggest at all that he will keep us up. And he won’t take us back up again if we’ve got relegated playing as we are currently. 

Look I hope we win Sunday and it sparks a great recovery that sees Farke stay and keep us up. Nothing would please me more. But if he doesn’t get a win on Sunday (snd certainly in the next two) I want them to be decisive and sack him as I want to at least try to stay in this division. Letting it drag on is the worst thing we can do.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

People objecting to being criticised?  

Exactly like when you told people to stop booing you mean?

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Sometimes I think people need to be told what they are doing is stupid.

What you're doing is stupid.

OTBC

• Like 1

The club was/is critical of the EPL, but Webber doesn't like it when EPL observers are critical of it? 

4 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

In a nutshell - boo the fans, stop moaning, get behind us. Yes we have been poor but so what? It is not enough enough for Daniel to be under any pressure. We had a go in the summer - we still think our players are good enough- and that it isn’t working is just bad luck. 

Of course that isn't what he said in or out of a nutshell but it was certainly good to hear him give the pant wetting and entitled element of our 'fans' some long overdue stick.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Would you be honest with Daniel about that then Corky? Would you say to him that even if he got us up again next season he's going to get sacked? I'd hope so as to do other wise would be incredibly disrespectful and dishonest. But then would he stay, knowing that he was due for the sack? Probably not. So then you are back to square one - new coach needed.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

23 minutes ago, komakino said:

The club was/is critical of the EPL, but Webber doesn't like it when EPL observers are critical of it? 

TalkSport shock jocks are not 'EPL observers'. They're trolls, pure and simple. You make them sound like they're Hans Blix.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, komakino said:

I don't think you could ever accuse Webber of shying away from accepting responsibility and criticism. I suspect what he objects to is people speaking out of their collective ar**s without having even done the most cursory form of research into the club.

But then, I suspect you knew that. Never ceases to amaze me the number of posters on here who claim to be objective but then tie themselves up into all sorts of Talksport-shaped knots of cognitive dissonance.

"To be questioning Daniel at this point I think would be incredibly unfair"

Agreed.  He has to try and motivate players who may sense that the club is at best ambivalent about staying up.  Even Fergie would struggle with that.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

In what sense do the rumours he said that appear true? Given they’ve only ever come from one source who looks extremely sheepish as he says it in the video and in fact doesn’t actually say it was Emi who said it?

it’s funny how often when there is an unpopular sale the player has forced their hand beforehand! 

It’s hasn’t only come from Webber, though Webber is the highest profile person to say as much. 

Also the second part is nonsense, we saw no such thing with regards to Maddison, Lewis and Godfrey.

Edited by birchfest

I like Webber, he take accountability and is clear and transparent. He says it as he sees it and has undeniably been a brilliant custodian who will leave this club in a significantly better position than the one he inherited.

it is very much the modern culture that people fell free to criticise everything and then take offence when people have the temerity to criticise them back. The thing that comes through this interview more than anything else is that he is passionate and driven to turn this around and will not accept where we are or the cheap shots being aimed at the club, that is exactly the type of leader we should cherish.

I hope the players come roaring out of the traps this weekend and get us a win and that the constantly negative diatribe on here only complain that we should have scored 4 not 3, as we have to accept they will still like to pick on something or someone. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Big O said:

I like Webber, he take accountability and is clear and transparent. He says it as he sees it and has undeniably been a brilliant custodian who will leave this club in a significantly better position than the one he inherited.

it is very much the modern culture that people fell free to criticise everything and then take offence when people have the temerity to criticise them back. The thing that comes through this interview more than anything else is that he is passionate and driven to turn this around and will not accept where we are or the cheap shots being aimed at the club, that is exactly the type of leader we should cherish.

I hope the players come roaring out of the traps this weekend and get us a win and that the constantly negative diatribe on here only complain that we should have scored 4 not 3, as we have to accept they will still like to pick on something or someone. 

Well said.

19 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

TalkSport shock jocks are not 'EPL observers'. They're trolls, pure and simple. You make them sound like they're Hans Blix.

Who said anything about Talksport? It's a case that Webber can give it, but he can't take it. 

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’re all aware where we are but that doesn’t make it ok to cherry pick stats.  This using ‘just’ PL data is simply unfair - there’s a 46 game season omitted.  I do find it astonishing that some ‘supporters’ are now so willing to use it as it suits - a few games ago they were incredulous when the likes of Talk****e were quoting the same.

Just using PL data is not unfair when you are looking at someone's performance in the premier league. I agree it wasn't accurate for the poster to refer to it as our "post lockdown" form but it is our post lockdown premier league form.

The issue/question with Farke is whether he can coach a team to be competitive at this level. That being the case his record at this level (10% win rate over nearly 50 games) is clearly highy relevant and, to be honest, pretty damning. Whilst we all hope he can somehow turn this around, his stats as a premier league manager, with two different squads of players, suggest there is a degree of wishful thinking going on.

Well After that Interview if we lose against leeds the fans will turn on the board 

we all know Farkes Record is not good enough at this level 

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Nothing this season has depressed me more than this load of Webber head burying drivel. 

Surely 'head burying' would be not coming out and saying anything? Instead he's taken collective responsibility for where we are so far, laid out a few facts, tried to get the fans riled up a bit for the next game and acknowledged the awful performance on Sunday.

Considering plenty on here were determined they wanted to hear something from the club, apparently it only applies if its exactly what they wanted to hear...

Can’t see anything wrong with what he’s said at all. Even asking us to ‘show a bit of teeth too’. You’ve got to be a bit of a sensitive sort to get upset about that. Personally I liked that line, and don’t think it’s a criticism at all, I get that some people just love being offended but it’s 100% clear he just wants the club to galvanise from the top to bottom, as one, to fight our way out of this and I’m very happy to be in what appears the minority to be cool with that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big O said:

I don't particularly "like" Webber based on some of his past comments but I do think (DM error aside) he's competent and I agree its good to hear some fight from someone at the club and I hope it flows over into Sunday's performance (and team selection).

I'm of the opinion that Farke should leave.  But if we're sticking with him he has 100% my support, not sure how I'll feel on Sunday if we get a twonking though.

Personally think Webber is relying on blind faith, the eyes do not lie.  On the field performance has been unanimously condemned by experts around the world so I just don't know what he's seeing to deliver any sense of hope or that the coaching team can deploy a team to win matches.

He will be proved wrong, and 99% could see it start of the season.   But our thresholds differ as to when we give up hope for Farke and Co.  More thresholds will be broken as the games goes on, and it will end far more bitter and we'll be far more stranded points-wise.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

In a nutshell - boo the fans, stop moaning, get behind us. Yes we have been poor but so what? It is not enough enough for Daniel to be under any pressure. We had a go in the summer - we still think our players are good enough- and that it isn’t working is just bad luck. 

I think Webber accepts that results dictate the mood amongst fans and the negative stuff that has been said about us in the national media etc. 

He has invested a lot of money in the club facilities etc and players but, and this is the big BUT. I think he has to accept the player recruitment by him has been poor. 

All the players purchased in the summer have the potential but for being young and inexperienced with little or no top league experience or whatever the case may be. They aren't in a place in their careers yet to have positively influenced our team such that we are competitive.

I think he gambled that these new signings would hit the ground running but in reality most of them haven't.

Webber went all out on potential and youth but didn't balance it with some experience.

My conviction that a large portion of our fanbase is thick as mince grows with every passing day. I hate the situation we are in as much as the next person, and I was completely embarrassed by the Chelsea performance, but Webber was absolutely bang on to call the fans out for their spinelessness in helping us to ride out the rough patches. Let's go back to the Watford game. It's our first real opportunity to get points on the board, but by no means a gimme - we all knew what happened when we played Watford last season, and knew how tricky their set-up is for us to  play against. What do we get from the fans before the game? A load of whingeing about Farke's press conference, saying he shouldn't have said what he said, shouldn't pick Lukas Rupp, shouldn't do this, shouldn't do that. The game comes, and we're not great - but we're not total rubbish either. 15 minutes to go and we're 2-1 down and I look over at the Snake Pit, which is pretty much half empty. That's supposedly the little corner of our ground where the die-hards, the real fans who never give up, are supposed to sit and they've cleared off to the pub with 15 mins to go and a game still in the balance. There is no excuse for it, at least not if you want to come out swinging now and say that Webber was wrong to blame the fans. The team needed us on that day and at that time, and a good proportion of us had already given up the ghost. I said at the time, and I'll say it now, *that* was embarrassing. So, my suggestion to all the keyboard warriors, all the Jack Reeve's stoking the situation for social media engagement, all the snake pit ultras is this: don't get angry with Stuart Webber for calling you out, get angry with Leeds, and everybody else we play from here to Christmas, and get angry by showing your passion in the ground and not giving up at the first sign of trouble. Right or wrong, this is our team; and, right or wrong, we need to be foursquare behind them, without any ifs buts or maybes, without hesitation or deviation. Maybe try that, rather than whining about how embarrassed you are, or how Eddie Howe would sort it out, or that nasty Stuart shouldn't have said what he said, or that he should have guaranteed that Farke will be sacked if we don't beat Leeds, or this, or that, or the other. Just pull yourselves together for the love of Christ. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

My conviction that a large portion of our fanbase is thick as mince grows with every passing day. I hate the situation we are in as much as the next person, and I was completely embarrassed by the Chelsea performance, but Webber was absolutely bang on to call the fans out for their spinelessness in helping us to ride out the rough patches. Let's go back to the Watford game. It's our first real opportunity to get points on the board, but by no means a gimme - we all knew what happened when we played Watford last season, and knew how tricky their set-up is for us to  play against. What do we get from the fans before the game? A load of whingeing about Farke's press conference, saying he shouldn't have said what he said, shouldn't pick Lukas Rupp, shouldn't do this, shouldn't do that. The game comes, and we're not great - but we're not total rubbish either. 15 minutes to go and we're 2-1 down and I look over at the Snake Pit, which is pretty much half empty. That's supposedly the little corner of our ground where the die-hards, the real fans who never give up, are supposed to sit and they've cleared off to the pub with 15 mins to go and a game still in the balance. There is no excuse for it, at least not if you want to come out swinging now and say that Webber was wrong to blame the fans. The team needed us on that day and at that time, and a good proportion of us had already given up the ghost. I said at the time, and I'll say it now, *that* was embarrassing. So, my suggestion to all the keyboard warriors, all the Jack Reeve's stoking the situation for social media engagement, all the snake pit ultras is this: don't get angry with Stuart Webber for calling you out, get angry with Leeds, and everybody else we play from here to Christmas, and get angry by showing your passion in the ground and not giving up at the first sign of trouble. Right or wrong, this is our team; and, right or wrong, we need to be foursquare behind them, without any ifs buts or maybes, without hesitation or deviation. Maybe try that, rather than whining about how embarrassed you are, or how Eddie Howe would sort it out, or that nasty Stuart shouldn't have said what he said, or that he should have guaranteed that Farke will be sacked if we don't beat Leeds, or this, or that, or the other. Just pull yourselves together for the love of Christ. 

Ever heard of paragraphs? Not using them is thick as mince. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

A sporting director should also, however, be able to see when a team has serious defensive flaws and the coach seems unable to resolve them. 

A sporting director should also be able to see when a team desperately needs a holding midfielder.

Webber has said he wants to go at the end of the season although he has hinted he might be up for staying. Surely we should look at the performance of the new players at the end of the season and decide if it's advantageous to give him another contract? He may have given Farke some bullets this time but they seem to be blank at the moment.

Also, no improvement against Leeds & I would expect Webber to act, whether that's a defensive coach to help Farke or a new head coach.