Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

Buendia struggling at Villa.

End of the day we can point and giggle but we’re sat rock bottom on 2 pts. Villa fans expect more and I’m pretty sure Buendia will deliver, pretty obvious statement I’ll make here but it is a whole new team for him. Not sure Dean Smith will last much longer though, potentially if he goes the next manager might be able to unlock Buendia’s brilliance. Heck knows I wish he was back here!

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

End of the day we can point and giggle but we’re sat rock bottom on 2 pts. Villa fans expect more and I’m pretty sure Buendia will deliver, pretty obvious statement I’ll make here but it is a whole new team for him. Not sure Dean Smith will last much longer though, potentially if he goes the next manager might be able to unlock Buendia’s brilliance. Heck knows I wish he was back here!

Playing Devil's advocate here. A lot of our fans already want to declare the players we brought in over the summer as a waste and not good enough for the premier league. Most have had far less playing time than Buendia has at Villa.

How long is it fair to give players before they can be judged? I ask only because the common belief is that it can take players from abroad around a season to adapt to the English game. Buendia has already been playing in the English game for 3 seasons.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, chicken said:

Playing Devil's advocate here. A lot of our fans already want to declare the players we brought in over the summer as a waste and not good enough for the premier league. Most have had far less playing time than Buendia has at Villa.

How long is it fair to give players before they can be judged? I ask only because the common belief is that it can take players from abroad around a season to adapt to the English game. Buendia has already been playing in the English game for 3 seasons.

I would never have sold him and used the £23m to try and get the centre back and defensive midfielder we needed

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shame really, had all the talent to make it in a top six team and now is struggling to make it into a bottom to midtable side in one of the worst cities in the UK. 

Oh well, he made his bed etc

I wish some people would stop making crass, uninformed comments about places they know NOTHING about.

I live close to and work in Birmingham and like most places it has its good and bad but to call it one of the worst cities in the UK is an absolutely stupid comment and does you no credit. Think before you speak!!!!

When was the last time you visited??

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I would never have sold him and used the £23m to try and get the centre back and defensive midfielder we needed

He wanted to leave. He had wanted to leave since the previous summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, chicken said:

I’ve outwardly advocated a change of coach but I haven’t written off who’ve we’ve bought in because I think there’s a good team there if only they were set up to suit their strengths.

How long do we give players to adapt? No idea, I guess that’s what other clubs pay a premium for, adaptability and mindset. It took Vrancic a season to get the championship. And Emi is faced with learning a whole new playing style albeit with the added pressure of not being Jack Grealish. 

Unfortunately in our scenario, we don’t have the luxury of time in the Premier League and after the flop last time fans have even less patience for players to bed in. 

It also seems to me Farke is wobbling against his best judgements which is filtering down to the players. I understand you can lose against Liverpool and Man City, there’s no shame in that but the hammering from Chelsea was unnecessary and could be the watershed moment for the season. 

I can't say I'm surprised he's struggling. Outside of NCFC I think Villa's performance at Arsenal was the worst I've ever seen from a Premier League team. The players clearly didn't understand what they were meant to be doing and looked like they'd never met before. The manager stood on the touchline scratching his head. By the look of it he was the only one who understood the new system he had introduced. 

I can't help feeling maybe Farke set up a system that got the very best from Emi.

Once Emi is no longer the main focal point of a team then perhaps he has a lot of new stuff to learn

Its also very true that Pukki and his intelligent running, was a big part of making Emi as good and succesful as he was.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, duke63 said:

I can't help feeling maybe Farke set up a system that got the very best from Emi.

Once Emi is no longer the main focal point of a team then perhaps he has a lot of new stuff to learn

Its also very true that Pukki and his intelligent running, was a big part of making Emi as good and succesful as he was.

I think Emi is the best player I've ever seen at Carrow Road but you have hit the nail on the head. He arrived at the perfect time. If Webber and Farke had guessed that he would strike up such an understanding with Teemu they are geniuses. I suspect it was just a little bit of luck. 

You may also be right that Emi has to learn at Villa but the same applies to Smith. You would think that Watkins would be perfect running between the defenders for Emi but he plays him wide and puts Ings up front. Ings has his strengths but he's not exactly perfect for Emi is he. I can't help thinking Smith saw the stats and never gave a thought to the fact that we played a totally different way to Villa. 

• Like 1

Putting it simply, Emi wouldn't have stopped us losing 7-0 to Chelsea. Heck, in the circumstances and based on previous he stand more chance of making it worse. For all the longing for Emi, who's not delivered in a better team at Prem level so far, he, or the lack of him, is far from our biggest problem right now

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I can't say I'm surprised he's struggling. Outside of NCFC I think Villa's performance at Arsenal was the worst I've ever seen from a Premier League team. The players clearly didn't understand what they were meant to be doing and looked like they'd never met before. The manager stood on the touchline scratching his head. By the look of it he was the only one who understood the new system he had introduced. 

Sounds a bit like Sheffield Utd last season .... Wilder was hailed as a top coach but ultimately lost the plot and then his job.  I think Vill will be OK because they have some top drawer players but I think Brentford will struggle as the season goes on.  NCFC may be on the ropes but if they can somehow string together some wins they are not too far behind the other strugglers to sneak out of the bottom three.  Re Buendia .... he is a good player but as someone else said he is not Jack Grealish and that pressure is certainly not going to help his confidence.

59 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shame really, had all the talent to make it in a top six team and now is struggling to make it into a bottom to midtable side in one of the worst cities in the UK. 

£35,000 a week better off though.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, duke63 said:

I wish some people would stop making crass, uninformed comments about places they know NOTHING about.

I live close to and work in Birmingham and like most places it has its good and bad but to call it one of the worst cities in the UK is an absolutely stupid comment and does you no credit. Think before you speak!!!!

i worked in Rugby and stay in Dunchurch lovely Area 25 miles away from Birmingham some lovely villages outside Birmingham Coventry only been to Birmingham for football so do not know city 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Bit harsh, Birmingham’s a great city

6 hours ago, duke63 said:

Now Coventry on the other hand................................

2 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Everywhere has its good and bad points. The environs of Coventry city centre are very affluent. Lots of very wealthy families made their fortune in the now demised British motor industry.

2 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Warwick and Stratford nearby so plenty of nice scenery to be had when spending all that extra money. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Everywhere has its good and bad points. The environs of Coventry city centre are very affluent. Lots of very wealthy families made their fortune in the now demised British motor industry.

They do indeed duke63, I was being a bit flippant! I've been to Coventry 5 or 6 times. Some good memories, some not so good, including visits to hospitals & police cells. Saw some crazy stuff in Coventry. Seen plenty of Birmingham too, and generally like the place. 👍

6 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

They do indeed duke63, I was being a bit flippant! I've been to Coventry 5 or 6 times. Some good memories, some not so good, including visits to hospitals & police cells. Saw some crazy stuff in Coventry. Seen plenty of Birmingham too, and generally like the place. 👍

Did you attend a gig by the Specials or were you with the NHS fighting the Coventry Legion 😉

• Haha 1

I’ve got quite fond of brum over the last few years, enjoyed the Jewellery quarter. Good memories of going there in the 18/19 promotion season also, drinking there with my wba mate before trip to Hawthorns. Super railway line from city centre to Hawthorns, via the Jewellery Quarter. City centre drink after. 

Buendia fitted in perfectly as part of the dynamic attacking midfield system we played. If he'd stayed then I'm fairly certain he'd have also struggled here with our inexplicable change in formation.

I suspect that Tzolis could easily be a better player than Buendia in the long run, but we probably won't find out until Farke either gets sacked or (apparently less likely) stops picking such an imbalanced team.

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

For all the longing for Emi, who's not delivered in a better team at Prem level so far, he, or the lack of him, is far from our biggest problem right now

Well, that's a pretty simplistic view. Emi was clearly important for us. Even those who were somehow blind to his talents on the pitch could not deny the raw statistics. When he played, we won (for the most part); when he didn't, we fared much worse. 

As for why he's struggling at a completely different club with a different manager, setup and tactics, that's kindof irrelevant. I do hope it continues though. 

Putting it simply, Emi wouldn't have stopped us losing 7-0 to Chelsea. Heck, in the circumstances and based on previous he stand more chance of making it worse.

One thing Emi didn't lack was fight. That was something that was entirely absent at Chelsea at the weekend. I doubt we'd have won it with him on the pitch (in fact, he might have got a red card), but the complete capitulation we witnessed on Saturday probably wouldn't have happened. 

Edited by The Bunny
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Bunny said:

Well, that's a pretty simplistic view. Emi was clearly important for us. Even those who were somehow blind to his talents on the pitch could not deny the raw statistics. When he played, we won (for the most part); when he didn't, we fared much worse. 

As for why he's struggling at a completely different club with a different manager, setup and tactics, that's kindof irrelevant. I do hope it continues though. 

One thing Emi didn't lack was fight. That was something that was entirely absent at Chelsea at the weekend. I doubt we'd have won it with him on the pitch (in fact, he might have got a red card), but the complete capitulation we witnessed on Saturday probably wouldn't have happened. 

Emi had fight, of course. But when things went wrong he also stopped running, sulked on the floor and threw his arms up in the air.

He was an unbelievable talent for us and thats undeniable but I maintain that he would have made little differences to our performances this time round, similarly where he made little difference after project restart at this level.

19 hours ago, hogesar said:

Putting it simply, Emi wouldn't have stopped us losing 7-0 to Chelsea. Heck, in the circumstances and based on previous he stand more chance of making it worse. For all the longing for Emi, who's not delivered in a better team at Prem level so far, he, or the lack of him, is far from our biggest problem right now

Not sure about this.  Emi's defensive work-rate was often second to none in our team, both at Champ & Prem level.  Think about how often he used to win back the ball himself.

• Like 1

Just now, Orly said:

Not sure about this.  Emi's defensive work-rate was often second to none in our team, both at Champ & Prem level.  Think about how often he used to win back the ball himself.

Yes in the championship. At times in the prem. Project restart saw lots of arms flailing sitting on the floor and not getting back up when he thought he had been fouled.

I think some are also forgetting his defensive abilities. 

The left hand side has been a problem for us this entire season and is, in part I'm guessing, why we switched the formation. 

We simply don't have another winger/attacking player within the new crew who seems as willing as Emi was to get back and help defend. This means we haven't been able to play the formation we excelled with last season, at least not as well when we've tried it. 

• Like 1