Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Dowell

Recommended Posts

There are lots of players not playing who ought to be playing- Cantwell the obvious and most widely discussed. Then we have Tzolis who looked exciting and creative but was dropped for no reason. But what of Dowell? At the end of last season he was getting better and better- a run of games was just what he needed. He was making goals - then nothing. Probably due to reversion to negative tactics- but so bewildering. Surely we should at least try playing the system that got us up and for which most of the players were purchased? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came on in the cup game against Liverpool and looked good too. Technically I think he's good enough but seems fractionally too slow, perhaps just his style, it didn't stop Berbatov from having a good career.

As good as Sargent was against Brighton in general play (ignoring the miss), we should be playing a proper no. 10 against Leeds and Brentford and I think, assuming Cantwell won't play, Dowell is as good as we have.

Threat from dead balls too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The obvious answer to the op is that we had to try and stop the sheer amount of goals going in - and it seemed to be working up to the Chelsea match when the wheels came spectacularly off.  If we can return to a frugal keeping clean sheets as against Burnley and Brighton, then Dowell/Tzolis/Rashica will get more of a look in as the season progresses.

The Chelsea match will have to be seen as a painful episode in a steep learning curve for the team. I'm very confident the team will learn from that experience and we'll see better over the next few weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Perhaps we should play 10 at the back, plus the goalie. Hope that we draw a few games. It seems a good plan!

The number 10 everyone's been crying out for. maybe.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

There are lots of players not playing who ought to be playing- Cantwell the obvious and most widely discussed. Then we have Tzolis who looked exciting and creative but was dropped for no reason. But what of Dowell? At the end of last season he was getting better and better- a run of games was just what he needed. He was making goals - then nothing. Probably due to reversion to negative tactics- but so bewildering. Surely we should at least try playing the system that got us up and for which most of the players were purchased? 

I think Dowell should be playing if Cantwell is unavailable. All our best performances under Farke regardless of division have been with a number 10. We seem unable to link the midfield without one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Perhaps we should play 10 at the back, plus the goalie. Hope that we draw a few games. It seems a good plan!

That would be like the strategy that Latvia women used against the Lionesses last night though 😆.  10-0 was the score though🤭.  The moral, unless the players on the pith are up to the right level of skill to stop the better clubs, it will only be by sheer luck against the big boys that we would hold out. 🤔  We have to come up with a more balanced way of using our resources than that. 

4-2-3-1 with a block of Kabak, Omo, Normann and Sorenson, and a 3 from Tzolis / Cantwell / Rashica / Dowell / Idah is the way forward.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been saying for weeks I cannot understand why this poor lad hasn't had the slightest look in. Played very well towards the end of last season, did a decent job in preseason then hasn't set foot on the pitch since. He must be absolutely dreadful in training...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was being tongue in cheek. I have stated that I would play dowell in my team selection for Leeds.

But as Fake gets more desperate he may go for the 10 at the back approach so he and Lakey can celebrate a brilliant 0-0 haha 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will DF be picking a team for the Club's sake or to preserve his job a little longer? And whatever we talk about, its the midfield that isn't working properly. For Normann to be hailed as our best player when to be quite honest, he doesn't look anything more than OK, then the midfield must be awful. PLM hits a couple of decent passes and he is hailed as a good signing. Kenny proved last time he isn't good enough for the EPL.

We lost the two key players in our midfield from last season and being promoted needed to bring in even better. The defence wasn't better last season. It was protected better.

But our first signing was another keeper who couldn't get into an lower EPL team. Why didn't we offer Emi £100K a week to stay or more money to Todd to stay with his local team? Never mind the others wages. Players have to accept that better players get higher wages.  Without Ollie, why didn't we try and get Winks who he has replaced at Spurs, even on loan for a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The obvious answer to the op is that we had to try and stop the sheer amount of goals going in - and it seemed to be working up to the Chelsea match when the wheels came spectacularly off.  If we can return to a frugal keeping clean sheets as against Burnley and Brighton, then Dowell/Tzolis/Rashica will get more of a look in as the season progresses.

The Chelsea match will have to be seen as a painful episode in a steep learning curve for the team. I'm very confident the team will learn from that experience and we'll see better over the next few weeks. 

Take a couple of days off, everyone in the world knows what you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The obvious answer to the op is that we had to try and stop the sheer amount of goals going in - and it seemed to be working up to the Chelsea match when the wheels came spectacularly off.  If we can return to a frugal keeping clean sheets as against Burnley and Brighton, then Dowell/Tzolis/Rashica will get more of a look in as the season progresses.

The Chelsea match will have to be seen as a painful episode in a steep learning curve for the team. I'm very confident the team will learn from that experience and we'll see better over the next few weeks. 

The problem is that rather than getting the players to do the defensive basics, Farkes solution was to pack the midfield and defence which probably against Chelsea resulted in some of the lazy “someone else will pick them up” type play we saw in that game. Plus has also removed any attacking threat we had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

🙂 Thanks, could do with a break. Will you pay for it?

If you promise not to come on for a week, I will pay for a weekend away for you. Not joking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Yep, the longer they don't play, the better they get.

There's a reason he hasn't been playing,

Perhaps. Is there a reason why Sargent has?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Perhaps. Is there a reason why Sargent has?

Yes, apart from the abysmal miss against Brighton he worked very hard and had a good game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite his work rate I just don’t see the point of Sargent. A forward who doesn’t actually score goals - what is he for then? …might as well drop that and play a 10 who might at least put Pukki in…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Yes, apart from the abysmal miss against Brighton he worked very hard and had a good game. 

For 10m we should expect more than someone who works hard. Hugill worked hard, and so far I don't see how he is in any way inferior to Sargent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, I'd like a weekend in the Seychelles, thanks.

Lakey!!!!!! 😮

I was hoping @Krul Mistress was going to treat you to a weekend in our fine City including a hospitality package for the game.

🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, I'd like a weekend in the Seychelles, thanks.

Good choice given the time of year. Long way to go just for a weekend though, but if Krul Mistress is forking out, I suppose you might as well go for it. ✈️ Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

For 10m we should expect more than someone who works hard. Hugill worked hard, and so far I don't see how he is in any way inferior to Sargent.

He's a much better footballer than Hugill. People seem to forget the number of times he's held on to the ball under pressure, often from a couple of players, & managed to retain control. Unfortunately there's seldom been anyone to pass to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Krul Mistress said:

Take a couple of days off, everyone in the world knows what you think.

Does that also apply to all the miserablists on here? We all know what they think, but presumably you're happy for them to post as much as they like. I wonder why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...