Sign in to follow this  
kirku

Norwich in purgatory

We don't want to be owned by furriners, they are bad. Unless of course they are Welsh, who want to be their own country, they're the 'good' kind of furriner, a local furriner.

Norwich in purgatory?  If only.  Purgatory is a place where there is hope for the future as long as there's a willingness to learn painful lessons.  I see few signs of either in our present situation.

Edited by benchwarmer

This is probably the most accurate representation of our place on football I have read. It also states a clear fact, we have every right to resent the current state of football for how it essentially shuts us out of premier league football, and the championship clubs have every right to resent our promotions. 

Seemed a well balanced article to me.

On 27/10/2021 at 00:26, Iwans Big Toe said:

We don't want to be owned by furriners, they are bad. Unless of course they are Welsh, who want to be their own country, they're the 'good' kind of furriner, a local furriner.

From your name to your comments, you aren't half obsessed by the Welsh.

9 minutes ago, 1902 said:

This is probably the most accurate representation of our place on football I have read. It also states a clear fact, we have every right to resent the current state of football for how it essentially shuts us out of premier league football, and the championship clubs have every right to resent our promotions. 

Seemed a well balanced article to me.

The article is a breath of fresh air. However, I cannot agree with you about other Chs clubs having a right to resent us, as a good few are ex PL and so had the same money as us when relegated. In fact many had far more, as they would have received three years payments to our two. What they did was splurge on contracts and fees that could not be sustained outside the PL. Are we wrong to have avoided the reckless spend like there's no tomorrow approach. Living within your means. The reality is promoted clubs cannot built a strong enough squad in one season, without the risk of being a basket case if relegated. All we are doing is strengthening incrementally.

8 hours ago, RobJames said:

The article is a breath of fresh air. However, I cannot agree with you about other Chs clubs having a right to resent us, as a good few are ex PL and so had the same money as us when relegated. In fact many had far more, as they would have received three years payments to our two. What they did was splurge on contracts and fees that could not be sustained outside the PL. Are we wrong to have avoided the reckless spend like there's no tomorrow approach. Living within your means. The reality is promoted clubs cannot built a strong enough squad in one season, without the risk of being a basket case if relegated. All we are doing is strengthening incrementally.

I understand your argument, and I'm not defending the other ex-premier league sides in the Championship or criticising our management.

We made a strategic decision which protects our viability and that is fair for us. However it is blatantly a massive barrier to those clubs who also live within their means in the Championship and feel like they have no feasible way of progressing, especially when we have taken one automatical slot in every other Championship season we have played in for about 10 years. 

As the article suggest, it's the system that's broken which has left such an extreme gap, not those clubs forced into making financial decisions which leave them in the space between the divisions.

15 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Norwich in purgatory?  If only.  Purgatory is a place where there is hope for the future as long as there's a willingness to learn painful lessons.  I see few signs of either in our present situation.

So no hope for the future at all for you?

That's the spirit.

The flaw in the article’s argument is that it is our relative wealth through parachute payments that fuels our success in the championship. Clearly not true for the 18/19 season, which is implicitly refereed to in their 1st, 20th, 1st, 20th sequence.

We had to sell Maddison to keep our finances going at the start of that season. The expansion of the academy was funded largely by supporters through the bond. Promotion was achieved the hard way and whilst fully deserved came as a surprise to most of us.

OTBC

Edited by Sussexyellow

5 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

So no hope for the future at all for you?

That's the spirit.

There is, but it depends on the club.