Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

Walter Smith

Thought I'd start a thread about the untimely death of this icon of the game. Now he was a real 'legend' in the true sense of the word. My knowledge of Scottish football is pretty thin I admit but I would suggest that Smith was second only to the great Jock Stein in the Hall of Fame of great Scottish managers, those that spent the majority of their career up there I hasten to add. If you extend the net to those who ventured south then of course we acknowledge such giants as Busby, Ferguson and the iconic Bill Shankly as members of that particular pantheon.

I know that Talk Sport is our pet hate at the moment for their almost daily trashing of NCFC but the boy Ally McCoist always seems fair, well spoken and (dare I say it) 'intelligent' for an analyst on said show. I will certainly tune in to hear his tributes and stories on the Breakfast Show tomorrow. This is what he has said so far.............................

Ally McCoist, who played in Smith's 1990s Ibrox team and was later his assistant manager with Scotland and Rangers, told Talksport: "He was my boss, my coach, my second father and then turned into one of my best friends. "The loss is absolutely incredible. He was the best husband, father, friend, everything you want from a man. I can't tell you how devastated I am."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Thought I'd start a thread about the untimely death of this icon of the game. Now he was a real 'legend' in the true sense of the word. My knowledge of Scottish football is pretty thin I admit but I would suggest that Smith was second only to the great Jock Stein in the Hall of Fame of great Scottish managers, those that spent the majority of their career up there I hasten to add. If you extend the net to those who ventured south then of course we acknowledge such giants as Busby, Ferguson and the iconic Bill Shankly as members of that particular pantheon.

I know that Talk Sport is our pet hate at the moment for their almost daily trashing of NCFC but the boy Ally McCoist always seems fair, well spoken and (dare I say it) 'intelligent' for an analyst on said show. I will certainly tune in to hear his tributes and stories on the Breakfast Show tomorrow. This is what he has said so far.............................

Ally McCoist, who played in Smith's 1990s Ibrox team and was later his assistant manager with Scotland and Rangers, told Talksport: "He was my boss, my coach, my second father and then turned into one of my best friends. "The loss is absolutely incredible. He was the best husband, father, friend, everything you want from a man. I can't tell you how devastated I am."

Sad news, he was a great man, also anyone who likes reading Autobiographies have a read of his "Silversmith" and get a great perspective on a great human being and sad loss. RIP 

23 minutes ago, Lessingham Canary said:

Sad news, he was a great man, also anyone who likes reading Autobiographies have a read of his "Silversmith" and get a great perspective on a great human being and sad loss. RIP 

Agreed - if you watch BBC News tonight you should see amongst the clips that will be shown, Smith is embracing Rangers players at the end of a match and one was our old mate Steven Whittaker.    

• Like 1