Jimthechip

It's not us it's them

Having just read the article on Talksport's response to our current situation and having read the various opinions on here, and it riles me how the football world in general has become.

The premiere league is now a pay to win enterprise and a way of washing dirty money. The incessance from the pundits and some "fans" that we should spend beyond our means or to join the queue of clubs willing to prostitute themselves for a chance of winning more games, is quite frankly sick. 

The answer for me is not to change us, but to fix the very nature of what football has become. Get foreign money out of our game, stop allowing clubs to skip around the financial fair play rules. Bring back some equality to our game. The premiership is the worse thing that has ever  happened to English football, time to claim the game back.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Jimthechip said:

Having just read the article on Talksport's response to our current situation and having read the various opinions on here, and it riles me how the football world in general has become.

The premiere league is now a pay to win enterprise and a way of washing dirty money. The incessance from the pundits and some "fans" that we should spend beyond our means or to join the queue of clubs willing to prostitute themselves for a chance of winning more games, is quite frankly sick. 

The answer for me is not to change us, but to fix the very nature of what football has become. Get foreign money out of our game, stop allowing clubs to skip around the financial fair play rules. Bring back some equality to our game. The premiership is the worse thing that has ever  happened to English football, time to claim the game back.

I agree. Let's start by getting Welsh money out of Norwich City.

• Like 1

I agree with the premise that the Premier League is broken. 

However, with the money involved, its not going away, its not going to change.

Look at the Covid times. Our fans, loads of other fans spoke about how important it was to address finances in football, with so many lower league and some upper league clubs coming into immense financial difficulty.

Then look at the ESL proposal. Universal hatred for the big clubs wanting to create some closed of shop of super rich clubs.

Fast forward to now and 8 games into the season its straight back to how much money we've spent or not spent from our own fans and the Premier League payroll media.

• Like 1

It seems that these rich owners are always going to be looking for the next way of making money from sport. Yesterday they announced that the two new IPL cricket franchises had been awarded, one of the people bidding were the Glazer family, they failed.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ipl-2022-manchester-united-owners-and-adani-group-among-22-entities-bidding-for-new-ipl-teams-1284645

Edited by A Load of Squit

There is a very important truth here. It is so often the system that determines how things develop, survive, flourish, struggle. Whether that is a social one, an economic one etc. Same with processes used by businesses...some are more finely tuned than others e.g. more or less efficient distribution better recruitment and so on. Family systems can be the most restrictive. 

We all struggle to live outside of the systems we are in. The Football pyramid demonstrates how a system can develop. Nutty's article posted above shows the widening disparities of hyper capitalism. We all know it. Leicester City are cited as an outlier but even then we know their owners are/were hardly poor. The PL will throw up the occasional Southampton or Sheffield United infiltrating the top 6 for a short while. The richest top 6 or 7 clubs form the top 10 places I would guess, maybe over 90% of the time. 

Newcastle I expect may be buying their way to the top table. 

This post is not an excuse for us and the way we are not being competitive in our first set of matches. It is to state the uncomfortable truth that the PL is just a rich person's playground. The Championship is becoming a mini version. We happen to be one of the stronger fish in that particular pond.

The whole system is depressing. It's less to do with 'sport' as in its deeper meaning 'sporting' but is just a reflection of money. It's about the system. And for many clubs and games it is very unequal. And boring (can Burnley stop Man City scoring less than 5 was a recent topic for discussion on TV). It's the prawn sandwich brigade. Matches cost a good £100 and that's tickets for a couple attending (and more) before travel, food, parking etc.

It's a case of 'if you're not at the table you're on the menu' I'm afraid.

Rant over. I enjoy watching matches by the way where either of the teams I'm watching could win. If I know the likely outcome before it's even kicked off I'm far more bored.

The OP (and others on a few different threads in amongst analysis of our problems) have highlighted the issue. An issue in the last season, this season and for many more to come. Bring on a new manager for sure, but it will be the same old sh*t unless we want to join the gravy train. Some will want to, some will feel a vital identity and belonging will have gone from the game. 

Edited by sonyc

I wonder how many fans of the bigger clubs agree it’s broken? It looked to me like Newcastle fans think it’s very much fixed and I’d say most Premier League clubs are happy with the model, less those keen for the Super League.  
No doubt our current plight make us all think it’s broken, I wonder if this topic would be on the agenda if we were sitting mid table right now? 

12 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This was published in 2020. A good explanation of how it was broken.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-superclubs-liverpool-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html

Apparently we'd be part of it if we still had Chase...

I think that article is part of Miguel Delaney's excellent series on it- I think he sees it clearer than most. The continuing inequality is going to see more and more young fans choosing to support one of the few teams who can actually win the league and lower league clubs relying on fans who see them as their second team but want to watch some actual live football. Its grim.

Edited by king canary

Whatever football has become, we can either live in memory lane and sulk or try and be positive and give it our best shot. 

Football isn't going back to how it was in the 70's, 80's or even 90's.