Sign in to follow this  
The Priest

Huckerbys answer to Worthys criticism in the daily telegraph

Quoted in todays telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2006/02/20/sfgnor20.xml

This part suggests dissent in the ranks, oh Goody!

"There was no need for any of this Roy of the Rovers stuff," said Worthington. "We''re better with the ball than without it."

Which brought a sharp retort from Huckerby: "I''ve been here two years. The gaffer ought to know how I play by now. And yes, I''d do exactly the same thing again."

And this wry observation hints that they know what we know about worthington

"Between times Bolder met his match in Gary Doherty, who was outstanding at the back. He might have been a better nomination for man of the match - in Worthington''s eyes at least."

agreed, it seems the telegraph were rebuking worthy for his over the top comment - there''s been precious little excitement at carra rd this season, and when a player expresses himself to generate some crowd enthusiasm - worthy turns round and slaps him down. perhaps when calling for crowd unity, he should look at his own man management skills first.

This whole episode rings of Koumas and Megson at WBA, excepyt it is worthy and whichever talented player we currently hacve at the club (Hucks, McVeigh, Libbra, even Neilson used to have the ball pumped at him).

As I mentioned in another post Worthy is very similar to Gary Megson, we can see that there are better managers out there than Gary Megson, why can we not see that there are better managers out there than our Nigel?

We have upgraded the Stadium, the facilities and the playing staff, maybe it is time to upgrade the manager??

the whole huckerby / worthington relationship requires far more observation than the ''last round'' of match comments. I have no evidence but just look at the history between those two in the past few weeks. Hucks gets dropped for Ipswich, then comes on and plays very poorly when he knew worthington''s rear was hanging in the breeze.Previously in the away derby he turned the game around when the situation was exactly the same.Away from masses of fans Huckerby''s form for a long time away from home as been nothing more than average. This is pure speculation but i''m using my eyes and ears as waghorn has asked - Huckerby, a major player in the dressing room since the departure of svensson, is playing piggy in the middle. Hucks, happy at Norwich and the area, isn''t happy with playing crap 2nd level football, but loves the way the fans love him. I feel that Huckerby''s rapport with the crowd is more important than his rapport with the manager. Hucks sympathises with the crowd becasue it matches his own feelings. In my eyes Hucks hasnt helped Worthington one bit, other than the odd token media gestures. My eyes and ears show me that maybe a decision has been made against Worthington and Hucks is re-building his reputation with the fans, after all how many hucks posts recently have been positive - i seem to remember a lot of posts referring to him as a one trick past it pony. Waghorn may have made a big thing about a high five goal celebration between the two, but where did Huckerby choose to make his celebration v Brighton? At the Snakepit, not in front of the bench Safri style. Hucks plea for the crowd to cheer his goal was a little more than usual, it said to me "It''s alright now folks"

I find this all very interesting. 

If you read Rick Fagend''s latest missive in the Pink''Un (18 Feb), he wants us to believe:

1. that Hucks and Worthy have a very special relationship"...there is a connection between the two. Now work out, in the current debate, where that one passing moment, that little bit of mutual body language might lead you.  Apply some logic. If Huckerby still rates and respects Worthington, what is his opinion likely to be of the treatment meted out to [Worthy] of late?" 

and

2. that if Worthy goes, then Hucks may choose to go too.   "If you see a connection there, what does that mean? If, for example, the Norwich City Independent Supporters Association decide next month that the best way forward for this football club is to get rid of Worthington, where - on the evidence of your own eyes - would that leave Huckerby''s feelings? Are you - not me - seeing any real evidence of a fracturing relationship between the manager and his players? And, in Huckerby''s case, a fracturing relationship between the under-fire manager and one of the biggest and most influential players at this football club?"

More than a hint to the Independent Supporters Association there to keep their feelings to themselves.... [;)] 

Sadly, the more I read Fagend, the more I feel he''s deep in the Club''s pocket - even the theme of his article: ''use your eyes and don''t believe me'' is clearly slanted.

I''m not persuaded, my friend - as you''ve probably guessed.  Nor''s my dog.   [:|]

Personally I''d have thought that after two years here at a struggling team Huckerby might have learnt he needs to defend a bit more. I''m all for letting Hucks be creative but that doesn''t mean he can relinquish all his defending duties. I''m with Worthy on this one. Sounds to me like Hucks thinks he is too big to defend and doesn''t like being told what to do. When we are struggling and the pressure is on we cannot afford the luxuary of players who won''t get back and defend, especially in the last few minutes of the game. Huckerby hasn''t been consistent enough this season to be given a free role. Yes he can win a game on his own but he can often disappear for significant parts of the game!

Really people - would you believe everything you read in the papers? How many times have sentences been taken out of context to suit the writer''s agenda? Or created a slant on a conversation which totally changes what was actually meant when said? It could be true, but more often than not - it''s complete garbage to sensationalise the story, or to make it controversial.

How do we not know that Hucks was joking when he ''reportedly'' said those things - tongue in cheek? It''s more credible than believing he would give an exclusive in the paper publicly disagreeing with his manager. And besides, even if was written truthfully in the correct context, it doesn''t mean they''ve fallen out.

Personally, from what I''ve seen, Hucks and Worthy appear to have an excellent relationship. Any player know''s when he''s done something wrong - and should be big enough to accept it like a man, rather than sulking and going off in a hissy. I think Hucks is bigger than that, which is why there''s no problem.

I find Fagend''s article both arrogant and condescending. " Use your eyes" - it''s like Roy Walker on ''Catchphrase'', "say what you see". Well, Brick, this past week I saw two stuttering and unconvincing performances against relegation-haunted teams, the first of which played us off the park for long periods of the game despite only having 10 men. On Saturday, I saw Hughes and Foley having what appeared to be "a heated debate", as Mrs Merton would say! Is their''s a special relationship?

Prior to that, I saw an "average" month, when we got stuffed by everyone including the Ipswich youth team.

What really rankles with me is that Brick seems to know nothing about the game - I bet that he didn''t even turn out at pub team level during his illustrious playing career. Another of the prawn sandwich brigade, as Roy Keane so accurately put it. Any journalsit worth his salt would be like a dog with a bone at the moment, in relation to what''s happening at the Club - instead, we''ve got what appears to be Worthy''s lap-dog.   

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]Personally I''d have thought that after two years here at a struggling team Huckerby might have learnt he needs to defend a bit more. I''m all for letting Hucks be creative but that doesn''t mean he can relinquish all his defending duties. I''m with Worthy on this one. Sounds to me like Hucks thinks he is too big to defend and doesn''t like being told what to do. When we are struggling and the pressure is on we cannot afford the luxuary of players who won''t get back and defend, especially in the last few minutes of the game. Huckerby hasn''t been consistent enough this season to be given a free role. Yes he can win a game on his own but he can often disappear for significant parts of the game![/quote]

Alex, when huckerby playes well we win, when he doesnt play well we dont win.......  We have NO other tactic at the club.... (As our other match winner Paul McVeigh does not getting a game).

We cannot afford not to have hucks in the side because he is our BEST and most influential player.....  He can''t defend and if he defended more around the box would probably give away penalties and free kicks....

Have you nothing better to do than constantly knock poor old worthy we might end up with hard working up and down right hand man foley.

Could be that Hucks is getting a little fed up of  being  pigeon holed  as a left winger !    every goddam club  that comes here  now has  a plan to  close him down ,    he`s our joint top scorer  for criseake  !     my feeling is he wants to  placed  where he can  do most damage , and thats alongside our strikers !   

[quote user="sheded"]Could be that Hucks is getting a little fed up of  being  pigeon holed  as a left winger !    every goddam club  that comes here  now has  a plan to  close him down ,    he`s our joint top scorer  for criseake  !     my feeling is he wants to  placed  where he can  do most damage , and thats alongside our strikers !    [/quote]

I don''t think Huckerby wants to play along side a striker at all! Whenever he gets the ball he go straight for the touchline at 100 mph even when playing up front.. He loves the left wing!!!!

I don''t disagree with all your sentiments - indeed, I agree with much that is being posted on these boards at the moment - but I don''t see the need to resort to personal terms like "Rick Fagend".

You don''t agree with the bloke? Fine. But don''t make it personal.

So does Henry - yet have you ever seen wenger pin henry to the left flank?   Thats what Juve tried to do and made him ineffective.

Hux does the left wing forward bit superbly, but the defensive bit attrociously despite his efforts at it.   Why we are wasting his energies there is a mystery to me;  he needs to be up the pitch waiting for the ball having the freedom of the pitch - almost a 4-4-1-1 - with a WLY/JJ2 ahead of him.   They do not need a partner or their own space in the way that we used ashton so it may now work - but can our manager make the tactic work?

4 real midfielders with natural wide players on each flank for next season please.

Am struggling with your logic , Debut ,    so , according to you , if Hucks  had the ball at his feet  just outside the box , he wouldn`t have a shot , but immediately  hare off to the wing  !!  well , he might just get a corner or two    doing that   , but I don`t think he`s that daft !! 

Hucks  IS a striker  ,  and probably more dangerous  a striker than  what we have at the moment !   little Earn  has hardly  had  a blinding spell up front  , has he  ?   there`s only WLY and Hucks   that have  looked like scoring ,  and Hucks  has to get past the usual   bodyguards to get anywhere near the goal !   apparently  he had to get past something  that climbed down a beanstalk   at Palace !   and he probably  had to  get past this  brick sh*thouse   all on his tod  ... as usual !! 

I personaly feel hucks could hold the key to all this business....

If Worthy upsets hucks enough, he might decide he wants to leave, or might wage a personal war against Worthy.

Hucks is a well respected and likeable chap who has the fans and players on his side... the fans have already turned on Worthless and if the players sided with Hucks in a conflict with the management might as well walk out that same day and never be seen again... theres no way they could turn it around after that.

I have been critical of Hucks this season and, if he''s reading this, id like to apologise to him.... true perhaps there was a spell when maybe dropping him could of been a good idear, but im now thinking that it was maybe Worthy holding hucks back.

whenever hucks tries to do what he does Best Worthy pulls the Leish back, says "NO" throws his bottle on the floor like the child he is... Hucks cant express himself here. Neither could Deano, Neither can Jarrett, im willing to bet even Ronaldinho would be crap under worthys "keep it simple" theorum.

If Hucks and Worthy are at Logger heads then it proves tht Worthy has bullied his players and this "nice guy" image the fans get is all to save face and worthy is hitler liek at best.

Hucks is a creative spark, but he must be allowed to plauy his normal game within the team structure... whats the point of having Hucks iff worthy is going to say "no Darren, i dont want u to take the full back on and beat him.. i want u to put ur head down, run in a straight line to the by line then punt it in the middle".. its pointless! and is a waste of hucks Talent!

A Huckerby/worthy rift will seal the end for the management... and about time too!

Oh Huckerby...

jas :)

[quote user="sheded"]

Am struggling with your logic , Debut ,    so , according to you , if Hucks  had the ball at his feet  just outside the box , he wouldn`t have a shot , but immediately  hare off to the wing  !!  well , he might just get a corner or two    doing that   , but I don`t think he`s that daft !! 

[/quote]

No that''s not what I mean. When playing up front before he''s constantly picked up the ball deep & gone instinctively to the left flank making the left sided midfielder swap postitions.

Alex h - j , so huxs needs to defend does he? what about if we had pele at his best ? or john charles, de steferno , george best , puskus, denis  law , you would be happy to see these players on their own goal line hacking the ball clear would you ?, i dont think so,