Sign in to follow this  
John Boubepo

Midfield

When will Worthington finally realise that the midfield is without doubt, the most important area of the pitch, whether it''s making play, breaking opposition play, tactical play, holding play, making substitutions, signings - it''s midfield - midfield - MIDFIELD - BL@@DY MIDFIELD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH. Thank you I feel better for that!

[quote user="John Boubepo"]When will Worthington finally realise that the midfield is without doubt, the most important area of the pitch, whether it''s making play, breaking opposition play, tactical play, holding play, making substitutions, signings - it''s midfield - midfield - MIDFIELD - BL@@DY MIDFIELD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH.
 Thank you I feel better for that!
[/quote]

Yoy know, I bet he''s not thought of that, you may be onto something, ring him quick!

Sorry to add a twist here but I don''t agree.

I think that each area has it''s equal importance in it''s own way. I just think that because our midfield has been highlighted as so poor this season, it stands out as being accountable. Had we not been able to score goals I think you might be saying that our front line is the most important area because without goals you don''t win games.

It OK being sarky morty yet his deadline day signings were two more strikers and a defender.   All good players but not the priority area and not solving the position that has been a major issues all season - if he knows it is a problem why hasnt it been addressed yet? 

The two midfielders we signed were central players meaning we are now overstocked with below average players.  

I do agree with the suggestion that midfield is most important for the reason that it impacts upon both the defensive and the offensive side of the game. A bad midfield puts added pressure of your defenders, allows the opposition more space and time to attack, can mean your defence is outnumbered and out manoevred. In addition, a midfield links the play up to the forwards. It is the midfield which creates the service to the front men, it distributes the ball and the play and gets up to support the strikers for balls bouncing back from the 18 yard line.

The fact we have scored goals is I think down to teh fact that we have generally had good quality strikers who have done a lot from not much, and in the past two years we have had Hux who when on form can cut any left back to shreds. But our defence sits way too deep and we haven''t had a true playmeker for many years. Many thought that Mulryne could do this but he never did and Worthington has been obsessed with midfield holding players at the expense of creativity through the middle.

Look at the top teams- generally they have one stand out midfield dynamo. Arsenal had Viera and (comparativley) struggled when he left, Man Utd had Keane during their dominance in the 90s, Liverpool have Gerrard, and Chelsea have Lampard and Makalele. And a home grown example- we had Ian Crook when we were doing so well under Mike Walker. Pattern or mere coincidence?

[quote user="morty"]

Yoy know, I bet he''s not thought of that, you may be onto something, ring him quick!

[/quote] Yeah good idea perhaps when I ring him I can remind him that for most games we play 2 strikers and 4 players in midfield - therefore if we can only afford a small group of players, we don''t need a squad top heavy with strikers, who invariably end up playing in the wrong positions.

i agree with whats been said.. Midfeild is just one area of the team...

IMO goalkeeper is the most important.. take our European days.. would we seriously of qualified if Gunny had''nt of been in goal Winning us matches.. in 1991-92 he picked up a back injury and missed the entire 2nd half of the season... we almost went down.. and in 94-95 he broke his ankle... we DID go down.... a goalkeeper worth his salts can win u an extra 5 games a season i reckon.

also, although not used today as much as it was 10 or15 years ago a Sweeper can make up for a poor midfield... Winning the ball deep, bfreaking up attacks before maruading forwards...

even a striker who gets back and tackles is an asset.. how many times did u see Ruud Van Nistelrooy back for united winning tackles on saturday????

jas :)

Thorne was doing that RvN thing of sat - shackelled as he was to idiakez and leaving his out of position when the long howitzer was lobbed back upfield..

I would agree with you Yellow.wHowever I would like to add that as coaches you are trained to look at the game as being two phases. When we have the ball and when they have the ball.To me the most important is when they have the ball. As footballers the easiest thing should be to knock the ball around!If you can hold a team and prevent them from scoring then you are not going to loose. Sam Allardice has that part sorted out at Bolton - even the big guns go up there and struggle to score.But to be able to defend as a unit the team need to have confidence in them selves and each other - something that sometimes only comes with time on the pitch together.Promotion season we still had a lot of City playing experience (at least two years in the squad). This season bar Huckerby, Fleming, Drury and Green most of the players are yet to complete a full season or are into their second.

"Yoy know, I bet he''s not thought of that, you may be onto something, ring him quick!"if i had the facility to ring him, id be more inclined to tell him that a football match lasts 90mins not 45.

Well if I have to I will.Basically it isnt the midfield that is the problem - its the team.You can have one bad player on a pitch be covered up by the quality of those around them. But the fact that even Safri has looked out of sorts along with Huckerby suggests that there is more to it than simply personel.If you listen to what players have been saying - its all about getting a consistant side out and settling in some of the squad players involved.What I am saying, and this is linked to the thread, is that its simply not good enough to say its all about the midfield.The fact of the matter is we need anoth centreback too!

[quote user="chicken"]
Basically it isnt the midfield that is the problem - its the team.

You can have one bad player on a pitch be covered up by the quality of those around them. But the fact that even Safri has looked out of sorts along with Huckerby suggests that there is more to it than simply personel.

If you listen to what players have been saying - its all about getting a consistant side out and settling in some of the squad players involved.

What I am saying, and this is linked to the thread, is that its simply not good enough to say its all about the midfield.

The fact of the matter is we need anoth centreback too!
[/quote]

I wasn''t trying to identify one single problem to explain the poor performances over the last 2 years, there are obviously many and it will take a new manager some time to sort out but the midfield Dept is probably a good place to start.

To begin with it will probably be a shock to all our systems seeing a right midfielder play in the right midfield birth, especially after watching 5 years of various strikers played there!

[quote user="chicken"]
Basically it isnt the midfield that is the problem - its the team.

You can have one bad player on a pitch be covered up by the quality of those around them. But the fact that even Safri has looked out of sorts along with Huckerby suggests that there is more to it than simply personel.

If you listen to what players have been saying - its all about getting a consistant side out and settling in some of the squad players involved.

What I am saying, and this is linked to the thread, is that its simply not good enough to say its all about the midfield.

The fact of the matter is we need anoth centreback too!
[/quote]

I wasn''t trying to identify one single problem to explain the poor performances over the last 2 years, there are obviously many and it will take a new manager some time to sort out but the midfield Dept is probably a good place to start.

To begin with it will probably be a shock to all our systems seeing a right midfielder play in the right midfield birth, especially after watching 5 years of various strikers played there!

The defence and strike force are very important as well but the midfield makes the team tick - it is the engine room. A poor midfield nullifies a good defence and strikeforce and I think we have seen this at Norwich this season. At times we made Ashton look ordinary and the defence shaky which is not an accurate representation. Granted the midfield is not the be all and end all of a team but the majority of the successful teams have a quality midfield!!

Sorry to dig this old post out but it''s good to see Worthy put some emphasis on midfield at last and make sure it was the strongest Dept. well done Worthy, credit where credit is due, I still remain a W/Outer but that''s one lesson I hope Worthy has grasped at last.