For the future

Next Norwich City manger

No one seems to have mentioned that its not just a matter of DF leaving...when he came here he brought 1 or 2 other guys with him...if Farke goes its almost assured those who came with him will leave to...so Webber will need to replace 2 or 3 guys not just Farke.

Who ever comes in next i would like to he a hard task master. Not someone who apologises for everything. Time to make the players accountable for their actions. We dont need a youth couch who tries to protect everything the players do wrong. 

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He recently got remarried and is besotted with his missus (who wouldn't 😉).  She isn't moving as kids are in Y11), neither therefore will he. 

I'm not saying you made this up, and I know from my Sheffield United supporting mate that Wilder still drinks in all the pubs around the ground etc.

But Wilder was at the game watching Burnley versus Norwich when we were 20th and they were 19th, and I can only really think that he was at that game because he was betting on one of those teams sacking their manager at some point this season...

... and Burnley is a good 1 hour 35 minute drive from Sheffield, 2 hours if you want to account for the possibility that you'll end up being diverted due to snow/sheep/weather craziness in the Peak District. 

I guess that would be just about commutable? And perhaps he was only really crossing his fingers on the Burnley job? He does like domestic players doesn't he, as does Dyche, so I suppose that job would be up his street.

The directors are set, rightly, on the sporting director/head coach model, and that is more important that any probably fruitless short-term struggle against relegation.

If Farke is sacked his replacement will either be a head coach recommended to the board by Webber or a head coach recommended to the board by Webber"s successor. It won't be someone who demands to be a manager in the old-fashioned way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Look at Mike Walker - got us to 3rd in the PL and the 3rd round of the UEFA cup in his first spell, was brought back a few years later in the hope he could get us back up to the PL and didn’t get us anywhere near it

Walker inherited the team Dave Stringer worked very hard to produce.

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The directors are set, rightly, on the sporting director/head coach model, and that is more important that any probably fruitless short-term struggle against relegation.

If Farke is sacked his replacement will either be a head coach recommended to the board by Webber or a head coach recommended to the board by Webber"s successor. It won't be someone who demands to be a manager in the old-fashioned way.

This.👍

Some paid attention to what the club has been doing.

Edited by Herman

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Exactly. Which is why I imagine they will likely need to look abroad as most English managers still seem to want full control. 

9 hours ago, Essjayess said:

No one seems to have mentioned that its not just a matter of DF leaving...when he came here he brought 1 or 2 other guys with him...if Farke goes its almost assured those who came with him will leave to...so Webber will need to replace 2 or 3 guys not just Farke.

I don't think this is a big issue, it is generally what happens when a manager/head coach leaves and usually his replacement would have a couple of people to bring with him to. 

A few names to throw out there outside of the standard Bruce/Allerdyce chat. No I don't watch these teams so I'm going off records and general reputation but all would potentially fit the bill as overachieving coaches happy to work within this sort of set up. Can't speak for if they would be interested though...

Pascal Jansen- youngest ever coach to get a UEFA pro licence, currently managing AZ Alkmaar in the Dutch league, taking over after Arne Slot left in acrimonious circumstances and steadied the ship

Kjetil Knutsen- as mentioned by our resident Norwegian @Olano, he's recently made headlines by hammering Mourinho's Roma team 6-1 in the Europa Conference League. Made Bodo/Glimt back to back Norwegian Champions.

Erling Moe- also in the Norwegian league, manager of Molde who replaced OGS after he went to Man U. Led them to their biggest ever title triumph and has a 60% win percentage across the last 3 years.

Xabi Alonso- incredible player who is now  managing the Sociedad B Team, taking them into the Spanish Second Division. Big name guy so may well be earmarked for bigger jobs but lots of experience developing young players.  

I don't think DF should be replaced just yet - but if he does it shouldn't be with someone inexperience like Russell Martin.

DF is streets ahead of Martin - replacing the head coach is an appointment designed for us to go forward not backwards.

• Like 1

Xisco Munoz ,unfairly dismissed at watford IMO and if we went down then at least he has some championship pedigree. Seemed to get their younger players motivated and turned them into a very good side. 2 wins as well from his opening 7 matches, not a bad start at all.

if we have to go with short term out and out experience to give us best shot of staying in league then it has to be Roy Hodgson 

On 24/10/2021 at 17:18, Capt. Pants said:

Lampard would be my first choice. Did a fantastic job at Derby and was instrumental in bringing on a lot of the young players at Chelsea when they weren't allowed to sign anyone. Would fit our model very well and is happy to do as he is told.

I suspect though Webber is scouring Europe as we speak.

Totally agree re Lampard. Can't see why so many fans seem to fail to appreciate the  number of boxes this would tick. Provided we could be convinced that he does have the real desire and hunger 'to be a manager again' then it's a total no brainer. Wich is precisely why The Cook would probably run a million miles from such an appointment! 

On 24/10/2021 at 15:48, alex_ncfc said:

Anyone suggesting Russell Martin can f**k right off, never ceases to amaze me how small-time some of our fans are. 

Why do you think Russell Martin is small-time?

On 24/10/2021 at 07:11, DevilsAvacado said:

How about Mick McCarthy? He is available now and cant be any worse than Farke.

I think losing eight games in a row, at home, in the Championship suggest that he actually is. 

It's an interesting conversation but changing managers/head coaches must be as big a lottery as there is in football. You cannot assess their people skills meaningfully, or the impact of their preferred formations, training etc on your current squad. Only some of the CV is visible.

Do you go for experience? Plenty of examples where previously successful managers have gone on to have unsuccessful career moves.

Do you go for youth and hope that a fresh approach is revolutionary?

Farke, probably, has at least 2 games to turn things around. I really hope we have 6 more points in the bank and the lottery is avoided.

I just had a thought (unusual for me) ..... if Farke does leave, how about Nigel Pearson? He is very experienced and his teams play good football. He saved Leicester from relegation and did a good job trying to keep Watford up before they pulled the plug on him. He has also won promotions. I know he is high maintenance but he would surely be a better choice than Bruce or Martin.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Interesting the Pink'Un today putting out an artcle about former players talking about Russel Martin and how he's a good manager..

....Despite his team only being 16th in the Championship. Appointing Martin to a struggling EPL team would be suicidal.

28 minutes ago, duke63 said:

....Despite his team only being 16th in the Championship. Appointing Martin to a struggling EPL team would be suicidal.

I agree. I have no doubt that (one day) he will be our manager and I have far more faith in his abilities in that role than many others who seem to have simply rolled forward their dislike of him as a  player.

However, he knows that to take the job now would be like you say. In addition he has only just pitched up at Swansea after a very brief start at MK. To 'jump ship again' and for that to fail would finish his managerial career certainly in the higher echelons of the game.

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

I agree. I have no doubt that (one day) he will be our manager and I have far more faith in his abilities in that role than many others who seem to have simply rolled forward their dislike of him as a  player.

However, he knows that to take the job now would be like you say. In addition he has only just pitched up at Swansea after a very brief start at MK. To 'jump ship again' and for that to fail would finish his managerial career certainly in the higher echelons of the game.

He must be good. Swansea owners are ten times richer than ours and are targeting a return to the PL after running out of parachute payments.