Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

How would sacking Farke solve the problem...

... of us being a club which has to sell our best players to survive? 

Farke has been severely handicapped by this in some respects, he invests seasons turning young players into the talents that he needs, but as soon as they get there they are sold. 

We all want players to show a bit of belief, but if the manager hasn't got any then why would the players, and how can the manager ever have belief that we can progress as a club when he is consistently seeing his best players sold and inadequately replaced? 

People always talk about the time Martin O'Neill walked when we refused to sign Windass under Chase. Do you not think he'd have walked under Delia if he won promotion and then told he had to sell his best player? 

As I've always asserted, the problem is having owners with no cash to underwrite losses to smooth the peaks and throughs is the problem we face as a club. 

I do believe that Farke is out of his depth at this level, tactically, and isn't the answer if we want to establish ourselves at this level, but I don't blame him for this situation and never have. He's been handed a rusty set of tools again before being told to landscape the whole garden. He's been handed a recently relegated striker with 15 career goals and told to keep us up, what planet do some of our fans live on which sees Farke shoulder the blame?

Sacking Farke isn't a terrible idea, but I'll see straight through it as an attempt to make him the fall guy for another appalling transfer window, and lets never forget that Farke is not a traditional manager but a head coach, Webber leads recruitment.

If Farke goes, Webber needs to go with him. Webber probably knows this deep down, which is why Farke will get the whole season or most of it. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

It doesn’t. But it might give us a chance of staying up which would ultimately help with solving that problem.

I just don’t think doing nothing is an option. The season could be so horrific that it could take years to recover from. 

It may not work but I just want us to try and stay up for once. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

... of us being a club which has to sell our best players to survive? 

Farke has been severely handicapped by this in some respects, he invests seasons turning young players into the talents that he needs, but as soon as they get there they are sold. 

We all want players to show a bit of belief, but if the manager hasn't got any then why would the players, and how can the manager ever have belief that we can progress as a club when he is consistently seeing his best players sold and inadequately replaced? 

People always talk about the time Martin O'Neill walked when we refused to sign Windass under Chase. Do you know think he'd have walked under Delia if he won promotion and then told he had to sell his best player? 

As I've always asserted, the problem is having owners with no cash to underwrite losses to smooth the peaks and throughs is the problem we face as a club. 

I do believe that Farke is out of his depth at this level, tactically, and isn't the answer if we want to establish ourselves at this level, but I don't blame him for this situation and never have. He's been handed a rusty set of tools again before being told to landscape the whole garden. He's been handed a recently relegated striker with 15 career goals and told to keep us up, what planet do some of our fans live on which sees Farke shoulder the blame?

Sacking Farke isn't a terrible idea, but I'll see straight through it as an attempt t make him the fall guy for another appalling transfer window, and lets never forget that Farke is not a traditional manager but a head coach, Webber leads recruitment.

If Farke goes, Webber needs to go with him. Webber probably knows this deep down, which is why Farke will get the whole season or most of it. 

I agree that a root and branch change at the club is necessary for us to generate any forward momentum and optimism, but with the current owners having such a huge majority shareholding and seemingly no other Board members to disagree with them, things will continue in the same aimless way,

I think the point is that something needs to change. We are stuck in a rut with a horrendous run of results, a team which seems disjointed and unmotivated, or most expensive signings ever sitting on bench.

We can’t change players until January and seriously doubt we have the money to afford the type of players who could make that big a difference.

Sacking Webber won’t change the team immediately.

Can’t change owners without a new buyer.

That sadly means all we can do is gamble on a new manager. It’s a shame as I love farke and what he has done for the club but it’s our only choice.

I’d give him one final chance…an impressive performance and win v Leeds out he is out.

Eventually you come to a point when you have to say, "do you know what, changing the Manager is our only realistic chance of turning this around and we need to get in someone new who can get our squad playing to the level that they are capable of"

And we reached that point shortley after 12.30 yesterday

Edited by Making Plans

Changing a coach is always a gamble. How many top ones risk going to a smaller club? Hardly any. They just move around all the big clubs knowing they will strike it lucky now and again. How many of them could turn us around at the moment. None probably because they have never had to.

So we would be in the market for one of several types. An unknown like DF or Alex Neil. Someone doing well with a lower league club like Ryan Lowe at Plymouth. A continental coach who has done reasonably well in La Liga or Seria A.

So the risk is immense. But personally, I feel DF is in a rut. Despite the thought we have no money and can't buy, he has had a lot of different and supposedly better players at his disposal. And yet we look worse than ever. He has tried different systems while ignoring the one that served him well, all to no avail.

Yesterday was, I thought, a perfect example. It was apparent from the start that defending was inviting trouble. And without setting off the why aren't we alarms, Brentford showed that a concerted attempt at attacking and putting pressure on Chelsea could work. In other words, we would have taken a 1-0 defeat, as so many supporters appear to have accepted.

We watched all Chelsea's defenders be allowed to come forward and attack and even score. And we did nothing to try and change that and even had the bizarre episode of Williams replacing Giannoulis.

Obviously some people will still be confident that DF will get us out of this mess and even if not, will get us winning the Championship again. And like my opening sentence suggests, that would also be a gamble.

For me, the question is not should  we replace him but who shall we replace him with. You could argue for someone, assuming they all would come, like Lampard who will have the fame to bring in certain players while not really having a record of success. Eddie Howe plays a brand of football we like. Mark Robins would be a firm favourite and has had the success.

But they would all be risks and while we think we are a top 26 club, there are others emerging like Brentford or Coventry ready to push us out of that spot.

• Like 3

I think if as a club we want to Progress then sadly DF has to go 

History is showing in the PL he just can not get it right 

But also not only the sky money but players worth 

If by mircle stay up with a new man ,gets the players playing well then there Value will be better 

if we stay up Aarons for Example one might stay also he would be worth more than if we went down him looking not the player he is 

a want away play is always worth less than a player who is not for sale and a bidding war 

also players like Cantwell some say at a guess worth 30 mil in summer now ? 15 mil ? only guess work of course get him playing norwich playing well staying in PL back up to 30 mil plus 

that is why long term we have to do everything to stay in this Div 

5 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Eventually you come to a point when you have to say, "do you know what, changing the Manager is our only realistic chance of turning this around and we need to get in someone new who can get our squad playing to the level that they are capable of"

I agree that Farke should be out, get Bruce or Allardyce in on short term deal, see if they can put up a fight. Even Roy Keane would interest me at this point. 

But I also think Webber has taken us as far as he can, he shouldn't sign a new deal. Too obsessed with the inferior German league, to our detriment. 

It wouldn't, but it might solve the problem of players not even trying for the manager, it might reunite a clearly lost dressing room. 

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I agree that Farke should be out, get Bruce or Allardyce in on short term deal, see if they can put up a fight. Even Roy Keane would interest me at this point. 

But I also think Webber has taken us as far as he can, he shouldn't sign a new deal. Too obsessed with the inferior German league, to our detriment. 

Steve Bruce? 😂😂😂

I'm starting to conclude that (like we heard about Maddison, Emi and Godfrey) the Club has outgrown the head coach.

He has worked wonders to get us to a superior position to where we were when he first arrived but he's hit his ceiling. Like Brighton with Potter ... it's time to move on.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

It doesn’t, but there’s no reason why we can’t be competitive in this level. I don’t see it as a massive problem. We’re in a similar financial spot to teams like Brentford, Southampton, Watford etc, we’re not that far away at all. We just tell ourselves we are to excuse and accept continual embarrassment in this league

I'd argue that Farke is actively hurting our chances of selling our best players for good money at the moment. 

Cantwell is losing value by the day being out of the sqaud, Aarons looks like a shadow of himself in this current mess and Rashica and Tzolis cant impress anyone being stuck on the bench. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd argue that Farke is actively hurting our chances of selling our best players for good money at the moment. 

Cantwell is losing value by the day being out of the sqaud, Aarons looks like a shadow of himself in this current mess and Rashica and Tzolis cant impress anyone being stuck on the bench. 

Exactly my point get those players buzzing playing well in the PL and their value shoots up 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be fair the way we’re playing at the minute you could argue that having players like Cantwell, Tzolis and Rashica in the 11 would reduce their values even more than not featuring... Rock and a hard place really 

It's easy to ditch Farke but you have to question whether the players are actually good enough for the PL, if the answer is no then the season is already close to a write-off.

Any incoming coach/manager is going to want new players in January and I just can't see the club readily spending millions just in the hope of staying up.

54 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Even Roy Keane would interest me at this point. 

I never took you too seriously TuB , but now i know that you are a WUM. ( cue hastily assembled reasonable evidence, or outrageous abuse depending on TuBs frame of mind this morning)

Edited by wcorkcanary

56 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Roy Keane 😂

One problem with sacking Farke is he would probably go to another championship club and get them promoted. He’s got to be one of the most successful championship managers of all time.

No manager is getting us out of this mess because we're going down no matter.

Someone else mentioned this in another thread, but after the game, Farke walked onto the pitch to applaud the away support and was quickly booed and he immediately stopped and walked away with his head bowed. 

These are scenes we don't want to be seeing and not the way it should end. 

He's hall of fame material but it's coming to an end this season.

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Like 1

Farke has obesely decided the short passing game is no good in the Premiership,  but the way we are playing, at present, is also not working. I feel he's got to try something different or it maybe too late.   

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Aye! Anything for a reaction....that goes for both  Roy and TuB.

I’m trying to think of a worse manager in professional football

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’m trying to think of a worse manager in professional football

Yep, 3 hours of wracking my brain and im still stymied for a worse suggestion.

Fast forward through MOTD to the analysis of the goals from the high angle, it confirms everything I've been saying about our off the ball work being absolutely shocking and that is down to Farke and his coaches. Sacking Farke and replacing him with a coach who can set up a team to be competitive at this level would make a difference, even if we still go down it would be much less embarrassing. 

You don't need a Hodgson or Allardyce to improve us in the areas we need to improve, just a coach with a more modern high intensity playing philosophy who understands the pace and intensity that the game needs to be played at in this league, one who won't let our players gently trot back into position and will demand that we get tighter to the opposition, press in numbers, not ball watch, offer a passing option at all times etc, you know the really basic stuff that our coaches just can't seem to get the team to do. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

One problem with sacking Farke is he would probably go to another championship club and get them promoted. He’s got to be one of the most successful championship managers of all time.

He'll go back to Germany next

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

😂😂😂 

This is one of those cases where I wonder if Farke's experience of being a number 2 in Germany, and by that I mean being the reserve manager to farm talents up to bigger things is both a blessing and a hindrance. A blessing in that his knack with youngsters has usually been almost flawless and certainly in the pantheon of City managers he's been one of the best in a very long time indeed (if not excellent by English standards at that). A hindrance in that he's never really had to build a team, just cobble one together.

10 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Fast forward through MOTD to the analysis of the goals from the high angle, it confirms everything I've been saying about our off the ball work being absolutely shocking and that is down to Farke and his coaches. Sacking Farke and replacing him with a coach who can set up a team to be competitive at this level would make a difference, even if we still go down it would be much less embarrassing. 

You don't need a Hodgson or Allardyce to improve us in the areas we need to improve, just a coach with a more modern high intensity playing philosophy who understands the pace and intensity that the game needs to be played at in this league, one who won't let our players gently trot back into position and will demand that we get tighter to the opposition, press in numbers, not ball watch, offer a passing option at all times etc, you know the really basic stuff that our coaches just can't seem to get the team to do. 

Yes, as I said before it's all too easy for us in the Champs. You have to be on it all the time in the PL to stand any chance.