Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The pundits have spoken..

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Sadly I’ve now reached that same stage of despair and frustration as that period of Worthington’s final days in post, and once it became obvious yesterday that we had absolutely no idea and were going to lose, I wanted Chelsea to score an absolute hatful as it’s the only thing that’s likely to force our owners into making a change.

We can only hope the owners do demand a change and leave themselves. 

Punditry is easy of course. We were the darlings after that ManC win. Now we are hopeless. Brentford are the darlings and while they are doing well, and good luck to them, the pundits will compare, just as we all do.

But the most important are us and we probably used more passionate and industrial language to describe not only yesterday's performance but attitude.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Punditry is easy of course. We were the darlings after that ManC win. Now we are hopeless. Brentford are the darlings and while they are doing well, and good luck to them, the pundits will compare, just as we all do.

But the most important are us and we probably used more passionate and industrial language to describe not only yesterday's performance but attitude.

Punditry is certainly easy when we’re playing this badly.

We need a reaction against Leeds.  Few will have expected us to get anything from that game, but we do need something against Leeds.

Coming into the season I think Farke clearly wanted to play 4 2 3 1 with 2 wingers and powerful high energy central midfielders playing in the CDM positions, the overall squad shape suggests that was how the recruitment was done.  I still believe we are too weak in the midfield, it does not matter what system you play, our players need to be faster and stronger in that area.  Sadly McLean, Norman, and Lee-Melou appear to be the best we have, and none of them really screen the defence well enough, especially if he tries to play with only 2 of them.  Tinkering with the system to cover for those deficiencies has pushed Farke to change style, and the wingers wondering why they signed.   The responsibility for recruitment lies with Webber, and sadly he has done a great job over the last few years, but in both premiership seasons the squad has been lacking in key positions.  Right now Farke must feel exposed, he is playing 3 centre backs, and no CDM’s, he has no alternatives or confidence in those key positions going into a critical run of games, had we not had the crushing start our players may have had the confidence to grow into their roles at this level.  Right now everyone is on the back foot.

PS Cantwell / Emi would not help - although both are tidy players.

Skipp would.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

The performance almost seemed like a protest against the manager - It was that bad. Gibson's sending off was ridiculous. 

Sargent's head is completely gone, he couldn't control one pass.  I would imagine some loaned players are looking forward to returning to their parent clubs at this point. 

Gibsons sending off does us a favour as we can stop him. He’s nowhere near mobile or fast enough for this level. 

Im not sure the players rememberng relegation is that much of a factor. 

Gibson, Kabak, Giannoulis, PLM, Normann, Sargent - None of these players got relegated with Norwich 2 years ago.

What you could argue accurately is that Sargent, Rashica and Kabak (kind of) experienced relegation last season with Werder Bremen and Schalke, along with the other players.

Krul was an established Premier League player, Aarons cant be short of confidence with the clubs that have been interested. 

Some players like Cantwell perhaps might have that, but I dont buy it, they have recently won the league in a season where they won most games

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Gibsons sending off does us a favour as we can stop him. He’s nowhere near mobile or fast enough for this level. 

That does seem to be the case. Why did we buy him. Surely our scouting would have revealed that?

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sargent’s first touch in the first minute came off him quicker than a trampoline. It was downhill from there 

Sargent Reminds me of Adrian Forbes when he was Trapping the Ball the bounce went Further than i could kick it 

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

We need a reaction against Leeds.  Few will have expected us to get anything from that game, but we do need something against Leeds.

Coming into the season I think Farke clearly wanted to play 4 2 3 1 with 2 wingers and powerful high energy central midfielders playing in the CDM positions, the overall squad shape suggests that was how the recruitment was done.  I still believe we are too weak in the midfield, it does not matter what system you play, our players need to be faster and stronger in that area.  Sadly McLean, Norman, and Lee-Melou appear to be the best we have, and none of them really screen the defence well enough, especially if he tries to play with only 2 of them.  Tinkering with the system to cover for those deficiencies has pushed Farke to change style, and the wingers wondering why they signed.   The responsibility for recruitment lies with Webber, and sadly he has done a great job over the last few years, but in both premiership seasons the squad has been lacking in key positions.  Right now Farke must feel exposed, he is playing 3 centre backs, and no CDM’s, he has no alternatives or confidence in those key positions going into a critical run of games, had we not had the crushing start our players may have had the confidence to grow into their roles at this level.  Right now everyone is on the back foot.

PS Cantwell / Emi would not help - although both are tidy players.

Skipp would.

Good summary, and I agree. The idea was clearly to make us more resistant to pressing, with Gilmour essentially acting as a Pirlo-esque player to pick up the ball and act as an easy out-ball for our defenders, and then start pinging balls either through the thirds to those midfielders you mentioned, or to some pace on the wings in Rashica or Tzolis.

• Like 1

Losing a dressing room isn’t always about bad blood. Sometimes belief and respect go even though the players like the guy in charge. This, sadly, is what I think we have at Norwich. 

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

Sargent Reminds me of Adrian Forbes when he was Trapping the Ball the bounce went Further than i could kick it 

It went further than he could kick it last week too

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sargent’s first touch in the first minute came off him quicker than a trampoline. It was downhill from there 

What was more worrying was his movement when Pukki broke through.  Sargent just hid himself away, pretty much saying don't pass to me, which was a choice Pukki had to take!  

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

What was more worrying was his movement when Pukki broke through.  Sargent just hid himself away, pretty much saying don't pass to me, which was a choice Pukki had to take!  

I was more concerned when he got outpaced and then just gave up against 36 year old Tiago Silva, which in turn led to the 2nd goal 

18 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I was more concerned when he got outpaced and then just gave up against 36 year old Tiago Silva, which in turn led to the 2nd goal 

oh Great a striker who can not trap a bag of sand that lacks pace how much 8 million sure no problem