Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Who exactly is running the club these days?

There appears to be a complete vacuum in terms of anyone likely to take control of this situation.

Webber is missing without leave. Culpable for dreadful recruitment but happy to hedge his bets by letting his contract run down, no doubt eying up other jobs as he does so.

Thst situation can’t be helpful to anyone at the club but who is responsible for sorting it? Is it him or is it his wife? No conflict of interests there.

meanwhile the commercial side of the club appears a complete shambles but Kensell has gone and not been replaced.

it all smacks of the late days of McNally. Our clueless owners allow someone (or here two people) to have complete control of everything with no checks and balances.

we need leadership and change at manager level but who will take control of the situation?

Edited by Jim Smith

It is not obvious that Webber is missing in action, and there is the usual counter-productive over-the-top exaggeration ('dreadful recruitment' and 'clueless owners') but you are not the only one to have been worried for a while about what looks like an increasing concentration of power in what is now a duumvirate rather than a triumvirate, and what could - only could, because I don't know for a fact if that is the case, and I very much doubt you do either - be a lack of rigorous oversight from the directors.

If it is the case, and Smith and have been taking too much of a back seat, and trusting others, then as you say they certainly need to revert to the governance system under which you have always argued was the most successful for the club, of them having totally autocratic control.🤓

• Like 1

I thought that when Geoffrey Watling bailed us out after the Chase era it was stated that never again would one individual (or presumably pair of individuals) be permitted to amass such a large shareholding.  

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

image.jpeg.3636a3d6ff5712babbb0e251d21affbc.jpegimage.jpeg.f94a31d1ae7fd6606acb646dc538d702.jpeg

Relax......and sit back and enjoy the ride whilst it lasts......

Good luck hanging on to the charcuterie with that aerial manoeuvre 

I don't think the recruitment has been dreadful, but unfortunately the manager is unable to get those players working as a unit and has got himself and the team into a rut which we won't get out of under his leadership. Him leaving is now inevitable and I suspect this group of players will perform much differently under the right manager. Whether we can recruit him is another matter.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Good luck hanging on to the charcuterie with that aerial manoeuvre 

All scoffed before take-off......and most flights only last maybe 35-45 minutes tops......

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I don't think the recruitment has been dreadful, but unfortunately the manager is unable to get those players working as a unit and has got himself and the team into a rut which we won't get put of under his leadership. Him leaving is now inevitable and I suspect this group of players will perform much differently under the right manager. Whether we can recruit him is another matter.

I don’t disagree with you with the one exception of the midfield positions. That oversight was negligent.

I agree that this group of players could perform dramatically better under a new coach but who is going to take control of this situation and make the call?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I don't think the recruitment has been dreadful, but unfortunately the manager is unable to get those players working as a unit and has got himself and the team into a rut which we won't get put of under his leadership. Him leaving is now inevitable and I suspect this group of players will perform much differently under the right manager. Whether we can recruit him is another matter.

A) He hasn't had time to build the team.

B) Him leaving now is not inevitable....because....

C) Who would replace him that could do any better? 

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Eddie Howe would transform this team tomorrow 

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is not obvious that Webber is missing in action, and there is the usual counter-productive over-the-top exaggeration ('dreadful recruitment' and 'clueless owners') but you are not the only one to have been worried for a while about what looks like an increasing concentration of power in what is now a duumvirate rather than a triumvirate, and what could - only could, because I don't know for a fact if that is the case, and I very much doubt you do either - be a lack of rigorous oversight from the directors.

If it is the case, and Smith and have been taking too much of a back seat, and trusting others, then as you say they certainly need to revert to the governance system under which you have always argued was the most successful for the club, of them having totally autocratic control.🤓

20 years ago Directors were in the habit of meeting fans at regional roadshows every 2 months or so.

If they were to do that then go back and oversee the running of the Club would that be 'autocracy'?

One rule is that responsibility cannot be delegated but nothing wrong with genuine consultation that doesn't happen now.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That's the $64,000 question, I've always criticised folk who want the manager out but don't name a potential replacement  but I also accept that somebody we haven't heard of could be unearthed an do the job well. Mark Robins is the best suggestion I've seen so far, I wouldn't want to go down the Bruce/Allardyce/Hodgson/Pulis/Warnock/Dinosaur route. Up until yesterday I've always thought he has earned the right to time to turn things round but we were so abject from the first minute yesterday after two decent results that I think his time is up unfortunately, which is a very sad thing so say and a great shame as he has done many good things here.

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

A). He’s had over 4 seasons to build his team.

B). Sadly you might be right with this, not because of C) but because of the inability or unwillingness of the owners to actually make timely decisions.

C). Almost anyone.

C) who would do any worse than we are currently doing? Either you roll the dice and try and stay up or we give up now. 

The Directors have clearly lost their grip of where their responsibilities lay. They have passed on their responsibilities to Webber and Farke and have evidently decided to deliberately turn a blind eye to the evident fact that Farke cannot prepare a squad to be competitive at this level. Shame on the Directors as they are letting the Supporters down.

Edited by kenfoggo

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t disagree with you with the one exception of the midfield positions. That oversight was negligent.

I agree that this group of players could perform dramatically better under a new coach but who is going to take control of this situation and make the call?

I can't believe that a different manager couldn't get a decent midfield out of those we have here. Gilmour and Normann should be the linchpins of it whatever formation we play. The squad we have desperately needs an injection of belief and some better tactics and we can be competitive of that I have no doubt. Mr Webber should be the one taking the situation by the gonads and for all we know could well be doing that as we speak, I'd not be surprised to see/hear/read an announcement this week. 

There hasn’t been a Chairman of the board since Balls left has there? Even then it wasn’t clear what decisions Balls was making.

I find it all a bit odd. Webber seems to have been given carte blanche to run the club and it’s not exactly clear where the oversight is. I’m all for empowering people and giving them autonomy, but that usually comes with accountability.

Thinking about it, Webber hasn’t made a decent first team permanent signing since Emi, which is over 3 years ago. It suggests Webber got lucky in 2018 and actions since proved his recruitment is not all that. 

I thought something was coming together but Farke is unable to polish this turd. Maybe another can but looks unlikely.

25 minutes ago, essex canary said:

20 years ago Directors were in the habit of meeting fans at regional roadshows every 2 months or so.

If they were to do that then go back and oversee the running of the Club would that be 'autocracy'?

One rule is that responsibility cannot be delegated but nothing wrong with genuine consultation that doesn't happen now.

When the going gets tough these owners always go missing. Love a chat on camera after a Championship title win but you won’t hear from them right now. 

23 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

That's the $64,000 question, I've always criticised folk who want the manager out but don't name a potential replacement  but I also accept that somebody we haven't heard of could be unearthed an do the job well. Mark Robins is the best suggestion I've seen so far, I wouldn't want to go down the Bruce/Allardyce/Hodgson/Pulis/Warnock/Dinosaur route. Up until yesterday I've always thought he has earned the right to time to turn things round but we were so abject from the first minute yesterday after two decent results that I think his time is up unfortunately, which is a very sad thing so say and a great shame as he has done many good things here.

That isn’t a supporters job though. Webber’s paid a pretty hefty salary to answer that question and it’s way more than $64000.

Whether you think Farke has run his course or he should be given more time, the idea that there isn’t anyone out there who could possibly do a better job is a bit odd to me.

I’m feeling so miserable about our complete lack of fight and our lack of premier league nouse that I would even consider Frank Lampard coming here trying to rebuild his reputation…….that’s how bad things have got for me !!

16 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Robins and Culverhouse as someone mentioned earlier....I think they'll be a good combo fit for the club.....

Robins would only work with his own team of coaches and head of recruitment (who was working here until recent years)

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Robins would only work with his own team of coaches and head of recruitment (who was working here until recent years)

Yes, maybe true....but that's what interviews, offers on the table and negotiations are for.....If you don't ask, you don't get.....

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Yes, maybe true....but that's what interviews, offers on the table and negotiations are for.....If you don't ask, you don't get.....

A deal breaker could be a spot on the plane for away matches. Room for one more? 

49 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

38 games should be long enough to build a team for the Championship 👏

15 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

So none of the players recruited for last season were decent? Or do you mean PL standard?

You’re right - should clarify none of the players recruited permanently are of PL standard since Pukki. And that’s with three PL transfer windows. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

A deal breaker could be a spot on the plane for away matches. Room for one more? 

Demand a window seat and ample leg-room.....and if the board refuse the window seat....threaten to spill the beans and tell Greta and her support to look at the club's carbon footprint....