Sign in to follow this  
Thingy

Incredibly naive recruitment and tactics

DF has come from a background of having the best players at the top-end of a table. He has been great at twice getting us promotion.

However, a very different ethos is required when trying to survive in the PL with the disadvantage of not having the best players.

Parking the bus is fine but you still need the team to believe they can score. Sargent is nowhere near good enough as support for Pukki.

I agree. Farke's tactics are best suited to a team in the top half of the table.

He is a good manager but he's yet to find the balance required for a club towards the bottom of the league.

I pray that he finds that balance vs Leeds but we're in a dark place right now and the performances we are hoping for require confidence and belief. 

Our confidence is shot to pieces and both systems that we've tried (4-3-3 and 5-3-2) have had minimal success.

It's difficult to see how DF can turn this around.

I still think the midfield isnt right. Norman I like.... But he isn't the cdm we needed if anything he should be playing in one of the midfield slots in front of that. I'm also thinking loans in key positions in the premier league..... Is there the same desire and belief to give it all you got when ultimately you know you can get out of here if relegated. Spending a few extra £ on that celtic defender and that bornmouth cdm, and not signing some of the others who aren't even playing might have been better. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's just sad we don't look to have learnt anything since our last time here, even regressed. 

• Like 1

The problems run much deeper in my view. The failure to press or tackle, lack of real hunger and determination and complete disorganisation are all free to fix and agnostic of tactics or lineups. I sincerely feel we have the weapons to at least be competitive, but the abject callow showings at this level are purely down to the coaching staff and how the team is prepped for matches.

1 hour ago, Yellow and Green said:

I agree. Farke's tactics are best suited to a team in the top half of the table.

He is a good manager but he's yet to find the balance required for a club towards the bottom of the league.

I pray that he finds that balance vs Leeds but we're in a dark place right now and the performances we are hoping for require confidence and belief. 

Our confidence is shot to pieces and both systems that we've tried (4-3-3 and 5-3-2) have had minimal success.

There are levels in every walk of life. Farke, much like the vast majority of our squad are Championship level. The facts speak for themselves

2 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

He’s not a good manager is he. A good manager is not fundamentally flawed at premier league level. If we’d recruited him as a premier club sbd he had the same top flight record we’d be saying he’s the worst manager we ever had.

Hes a limited manager who is decent at championship level. 

When most companies recruit staff, you would look at what a person has done in the past, which would give you some indication of what they would do in the future.

clearly this does not happen at NCFC! Otherwise Sergeant would not be here! 

They are clearly recruiting with one aim in mind, buy cheap, the odd one may make it and sold ASAP.

Their whole business plan is built around this one factor. 

It becoming pretty clear that you can not stay in the PL as a self funding club.

4 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

There are levels in every walk of life. Farke, much like the vast majority of our squad are Championship level. The facts speak for themselves

The simple fact is that we had a very ordinary Championship team with one extraordinary player. When we sold him it was always going to end like this. I'm not saying we should have kept him because he made it quite clear he wanted out. 

I've read several posts critisizing our recruitment this summer but unfortunately those players are what you get for £10m these days. 

18 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The simple fact is that we had a very ordinary Championship team with one extraordinary player. When we sold him it was always going to end like this. I'm not saying we should have kept him because he made it quite clear he wanted out. 

I've read several posts critisizing our recruitment this summer but unfortunately those players are what you get for £10m these days. 

No I’m not accepting that. We had a very good championship team, as other managers frequently alluded to. Yes Emi was the best player last year, but almost all the others would have walked into most other teams.

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

He’s not a good manager is he. A good manager is not fundamentally flawed at premier league level. If we’d recruited him as a premier club sbd he had the same top flight record we’d be saying he’s the worst manager we ever had.

Of course he's a good manager. You said the same yourself multiple times on this forum before these 8 games. 

Hes more than decent at championship level. You spouted how difficult it would be after the last relegation to turn things around and get promoted again. We done it, with record points and a title.

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Lol. Decent at Championship level. Two titles in three attempts. Decent.

Give your head a wobble.

I can see this being like last season in which the eventual bottom three never got above 17th place and only 30 points or so were needed to survive.

It’s been the main indicator of the gulf between the Premier League and Championship widening, while also being one of the reasons for our yo-yo seasons as of late. It’s not just that but also Farke not being capable of the managerial nous and tactics to make us at least put up a fight in this division.

38 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

But Everton just spent £1.5M on Demari Grey and Andros Townsend (leaving aside signing on fees) and those players (at the moment) are light years ahead of those we recruited. Yes they are almost certainly paying them more but both players know the PL and English football. Our 'record' signings (all three) had NIL experience. Even if Grey and Townsend are on £80k per week you can do the maths yourself and it would be years before Everton's outlay even matches that to which we are contractually obligated with the transfer fees. Grey and Townsend have ALREADY scored SEVEN goals between them. How many has our entire team scored? It was seriously bad recruitment. End of.      

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course he's a good manager. You said the same yourself multiple times on this forum before these 8 games. 

Hes more than decent at championship level. You spouted how difficult it would be after the last relegation to turn things around and get promoted again. We done it, with record points and a title.

Ok sorry will rephrase that. He’s not a good enough manager at this level, it appears. At least not for a club who need their manager to add value tactically. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Ok sorry will rephrase that. He’s not a good enough manager at this level, it appears. At least not for a club who need their manager to add value tactically. 

Thats hard to argue against based on evidence so far.

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It’s the wages I feel not the fees that hold us back 

This is true. We can’t get free transfers like Townsend as they will be on double what we will pay 

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This is true. We can’t get free transfers like Townsend as they will be on double what we will pay 

But if you don't pay a transfer fee like the £9M we shelled out three times (!) then you can afford the higher wages as it's surely the total expenditure over the length of the contract that is the important financial factor? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

But Everton just spent £1.5M on Demari Grey and Andros Townsend (leaving aside signing on fees) and those players (at the moment) are light years ahead of those we recruited. Yes they are almost certainly paying them more but both players know the PL and English football. Our 'record' signings (all three) had NIL experience. Even if Grey and Townsend are on £80k per week you can do the maths yourself and it would be years before Everton's outlay even matches that to which we are contractually obligated with the transfer fees. Grey and Townsend have ALREADY scored SEVEN goals between them. How many has our entire team scored? It was seriously bad recruitment. End of.      

Do you seriously believe that Gray and Townsend would have joined us? 😂😂

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

No I’m not accepting that. We had a very good championship team, as other managers frequently alluded to. Yes Emi was the best player last year, but almost all the others would have walked into most other teams.

Our Championship record in the 13 games Emi didn't play was around a point a game