Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

If we are going down, can't we do it our way...

I think the team and the formation that got us up needs to be given a chance now. This dramatic change of style, trying the 4-3-3 and then 3-5-2 appears to not be working, we have managed a respectable draw away at Burnley and then a frustrating home draw with Brighton where in both games we haven't looked anywhere near like ourselves. It isnt working. We look toothless. We aren't good enough to try and win a game 1-0, not that we are scoring in this set up at the moment.

I get that Buendia and Skipp are gone, but I still would like to see us revert to the style of 4-2-3-1 and side that got us here and looked so dominant as we got a record points haul in the Championship. The formation and the number 10 especially was key. Dowell deserves a chance. Todd at 60% is better than what i saw out there today.

Against Leeds for me it has to be:

Krul

Aarons        Kabak      Hanley      Giannoulis

Normann     Mclean/Gilmour 

Rashica               Dowell              Cantwell

Pukki

Im at a point now where Id rather see us loose a match 4-3 or 3-2 and actually attack, link up play and make use of Pukki, than us trying to just crowd out the other team in defence and hope they make another of a mistake we can nick a goal and sit on it. That formation and most of those lads got us here, let them have a go, and lets get Tzolis and Idah on before 60 minutes if it still ours for the taking.

• Like 9

I'm out of likes but I couldn't agree more. We should have been playing that way all season. I guarantee we'd have more than 2 points. But we'd also have the continuity and belief that come with playing the way that the players are familiar with and know how to win with.

If the players we've signed can't play that way then it's poor recruitment and poor coaching. They've had enough time to learn the system. It's just been a complete shambles.

Time to go back to being easy on the eye, playing football the right way. Even if we lose, it couldn't be worse than what we've seen so far. We're probability going down so let's at least go down fighting.

We were over run in midfield today.

We definitely need 4 players in there and personally i would try a 4-4-1-1

Krul

Aarons - Hanley - Kabak - Gianoullis

Gilmour - Normann - McLean - Cantwell

Rashica

Pukki

• Confused 1

It's all very well saying all that, but we started the season with 4231 but that didn't go well either!  The truth is that it doesn't matter what the formation is, if we dont try and play farkeball we might as well not bother, we just become ordinary.

At the moment we aren't doing one thing or the other and even in the two 0-0's we didn't play out from the back much, which is the essence of how farkeball works - playing at the back, drawing the opposition in and then playing through them. 

We've lost the midfield this season and it shows we miss Skipp....but we do have Sorensen, who has looked good EVERY time he's been on the pitch - except that he is overlooked in favour of new players. We also have Cantwell, who once he sorts himself out might help the cause - and we have Rashica who looks as if he can cause some trouble - and we have of course Tzolis, who has to be given a go sooner or later. Dowell too.  

So all is not lost, we need to regroup, recapture what farkeball is all about and keep strong in belief that it can work. PLM and Normann are clearly good players, but they are not fully fledged farkeball officianados and without Skipp (or Sorensen who surely HAS to be given a go now) we are overun - they have not been collectively good enough. 

We are doing it our way. Going down with a whimper and not putting up a fight. Anyone who has watched us get relegated know this is how it goes.

2 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

We are doing it our way. Going down with a whimper and not putting up a fight. Anyone who has watched us get relegated know this is how it goes.

We certainly are, the 19/20 effort looks honourable compared to this. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It's all very well saying all that, but we started the season with 4231 but that didn't go well either! ... 

No we f***ing didn't. We switched to a 4-3-3. We haven't played with a number 10 all season. What on earth do you think I've been posting about?

Edited by Petriix

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

It's all very well saying all that, but we started the season with 4231 but that didn't go well either!  The truth is that it doesn't matter what the formation is, if we dont try and play farkeball we might as well not bother, we just become ordinary.

At the moment we aren't doing one thing or the other and even in the two 0-0's we didn't play out from the back much, which is the essence of how farkeball works - playing at the back, drawing the opposition in and then playing through them. 

We've lost the midfield this season and it shows we miss Skipp....but we do have Sorensen, who has looked good EVERY time he's been on the pitch - except that he is overlooked in favour of new players. We also have Cantwell, who once he sorts himself out might help the cause - and we have Rashica who looks as if he can cause some trouble - and we have of course Tzolis, who has to be given a go sooner or later. Dowell too.  

So all is not lost, we need to regroup, recapture what farkeball is all about and keep strong in belief that it can work. PLM and Normann are clearly good players, but they are not fully fledged farkeball officianados and without Skipp (or Sorensen who surely HAS to be given a go now) we are overun - they have not been collectively good enough. 

No, it was 4-3-3. I like you lakey, im generally an optimist too and thats my hope with a change back, to get back to what works for us, but your wrong unfortunately.

2 hours ago, duke63 said:

Krul

Rashica

Pukki

I understand the concept, but Gilmour there.. nope from me. How about Rashica for Gilmour and Dowel behind Pukki

All these lineups and formations will not one jot of difference make. Its pretty obvious that the issues are way way deeper than this.

58 minutes ago, birchfest said:

No, it was 4-3-3. I like you lakey, im generally an optimist too and thats my hope with a change back, to get back to what works for us, but your wrong unfortunately.

Yeah, sorry, didn't think it through.

1 hour ago, Tumbleweed said:

All these lineups and formations will not one jot of difference make. Its pretty obvious that the issues are way way deeper than this.

Totally correct, at least someone on here talk's sense. Some of our deluded fans are more embarrassing than todays performance and have no concept of how bad we are and how bad the impact of this season will be.

Farke has to go before too much rot takes hold. 

4 hours ago, duke63 said:

We were over run in midfield today.

We definitely need 4 players in there and personally i would try a 4-4-1-1

or maybe we were overrun there because we offered absolutely nothing going forward so Chelsea could more or less just not bother defend and add to the midfield numbers at leisure.

11 hours ago, duke63 said:

Krul

Rashica

Pukki

That's almost the 4-2-3-1, and probably fairly close to our best players. I'd put Tzolis on the wing instead of Gilmour.

Krul 

Aarons.     Omabomadele.   Kabak.    Gianoulis 

Normann.   Gilmore 

Rashica.        Cantwell.           Tzolis 

Pukki

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

or maybe we were overrun there because we offered absolutely nothing going forward so Chelsea could more or less just not bother defend and add to the midfield numbers at leisure.

Over-run because our midfield and forwards didn't close down the likes of Jorginho. Doesn't matter what formation you play, not fulfilling such basic things will always end up in defeat.

3 hours ago, RugbyCanary said:

Krul 

Aarons.     Omabomadele.   Kabak.    Gianoulis 

Normann.   Gilmore 

Rashica.        Cantwell.           Tzolis 

Pukki

Sorenson for Gilmore, Hanley for Oma. Not a premiership loanee in sight and get back to Farkeball.

1 hour ago, Justin time said:

Sorenson for Gilmore, Hanley for Oma. Not a premiership loanee in sight and get back to Farkeball.

I think Lungi is deserving of a chance now, I understand people always describe the 'becchio' effect and that as fans we always think the answer is the person not in the picture. However, we know Jacob is a solid and promising young footballer and to be honest lets get him in there to get some experience, because we might need to build the midfield around him next season if we go down and loose Gilmour, Normann and probably PLM too. 

58 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I think Lungi is deserving of a chance now, I understand people always describe the 'becchio' effect and that as fans we always think the answer is the person not in the picture. However, we know Jacob is a solid and promising young footballer and to be honest lets get him in there to get some experience, because we might need to build the midfield around him next season if we go down and loose Gilmour, Normann and probably PLM too. 

Was acquired as a midfielder and has never let us down. After that result I see no harm in dropping McLean or PLM.